Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Greatest Accomplishment

Cdowwe

Bump........ and forgot to mention finally buying my own place, (trust me. It was a....process for those involved).

8 years ago. On the site of very large house, ( go figure), and there's steel being craned up to a roof of the porta cachere of this monstrosity. There's a sloping retaining wall to the left looking at the house that was roughly 10 feet tall at its highest. Big boulders on the other side. Coworker is set up between the 2. Good guy. Heber Cowboy who is tough not to like despite certain points of view. Has a wife and very young son.

He was cutting the 10' x 6" x 4" steel I beams to fit. Then rigging them up to fly in. He had cut the bottom of one to a very sharp point and we helped him lift it and put it horses for the rig job. There was a special system being used, ( homemade on the site), and this time, Shaun didn't rig it up right. He took his eye off the load and the I beam came off the rigging and down roughly 15' down on his head and went into his shoulder.

4 of us had just rounded the corner and were heading up the driveway when I hear " Should I call 911?" from the crane driver. We look at each other and turn back around towards the crane with the driver standing up looking at the area where the steel was being flown from and then look at each other. We look back at the crane driver. He then says again, " Should I call 911?" We again look at each other and then start to walk quickly back down the driveway. "Should I call 911?" rung out one more time and we were running .

I came around the corner and saw the guy laying on his back, knees up, and blood all over the retaining wall and puddled under his head. I thought he was dead. Nobody would go near him. The crane driver asked one more time and I turned and said " YES GODDAMIT!!! CALL ****ING 911 !!!" Turned, and noticed about 10 pairs of eyes looking at me. So, I got them to elevevate his legs and then give me coats top keep him warm. Right when I went to take over at the head, I started to mumble that it had been too long. Froze up for just about 5 seconds. That's when a friend looked at me and said " Easy Jay. We need you to help us help him". Click. We talked to him and we kept him around,( He tried to leave twice), unitil the paramedics arrived. Hell, the paramedics from Bald Eagle, Deer Vally resort area,( who hadn't seen alot of trauma), actually did a good job of freezing up themselves To the point I had to make a few suggestions to them on how to immobilize the shoulder while putting him on the gurney. Med Flight arrive in the Cul de Sac and we put him on board the chopper and send him on his way.

A week later, word got back from the hospital it was the initial care he received that saved him. A week after that was the company party, ( where I was sporting a great case of walking pneumonia), and his wife looked at me as I introduced myself and said" I want to thank you for saving my husband's life."

• 2 months later...

the hardest thing i've ever done physically up to this point ( boot camp is gonna be a *****!) is atending the dickerson pike football instruction camp in high school. i have asthma and my coaches are aware of that, but they had no mercy there.

also hard was the iowa state wrestling high school camp. they taught us what our true breaking point is physically for future reference. mine is a non-stop jog for 6 hours, i barfed and passed out after that... also we were trained in breath control, which really helps, i could balancemyself on a mountain at 20,000 feet and not be fazed by lack of oxygen or cold after that camp:laugh:

• 1 year later...

I know you said no kids, but I think this counts.

When I was 14, my mom died and my dad gave us some shocking news and then wasn't ever around. The bank took our home. We lost all our pets. Tough times to say the least. Anyway, I came home early and even though I couldn't stand my sister, I knew something was wrong with her. Locked in her room as usual with load music playing, but something felt off. I kicked in her door without even knocking and she wouldn't wake up. I ran into my dads room and found a once empty bottle of zanex(sp) placed back in the cabnit. It was like I had some wierd 6th sense that day. I ran into her room and drug her to the tub and made her talk to me until my dad rushed home with help. She barely made it, according to the doctors, I saved her life. She now has a 6 year old who the birth of, brought my broken family back together.

I was also in the Navy and reciently rescued two wonderful dogs from being put down.

And despite growing up in Philly, had the sence to be a life long Redskins fan!

You were 16. They had to give it to you. Think about it.

I was less than a month from my seventeenth Birthday. The BSA is an organization for young men up to age eighteen. Additionally, back in the time and area I'm from, they didn't hand out Eagle's like candy bars as they seem to do today. In the five years (ages 13 - 18) I was part of that troop, we had only three people reach the rank of Eagle, including myself.

I'll tell you this, with all the other activities and awards on my resume, that Eagle Scout is the one most often commented on by potential employers over the years as a positive thing.

Well...there are some monumental ppl here! These stories are great! Thanks for sharing.

My greatest personal accomplishment so far...getting thru boot camp and serving my country as a Navy Corpsman for 10 years. (No wars when I was in). I learned alot and my place is in medicine. Also passing my VA state boards for Xray Tech.

My humblest moment came by way of sacrifice for me. I lost my 15 y/o son 2 years ago to random gunfire. I don't talk about it much here...it tends to make folks sad. With that said...I will say this...Although that was the most horrible experience of my life...I was determined to have something good come out of the most tragic circumstances. I made the decision to donate his organs. Now at least 4 ppl have new leases on life b/c of the gift of life my son gave. I hope to meet them someday. I know they're doing wonderful things with their newly extended lives! Now I do volunteer work for LifeNet(www.save7lives.org), the organization that handled his organ donation, and I also joined a grassroots organization that helps others who have lost due to homicide(www.victimsagainstcrime.org). We run a summer programs for underprivileged kids and we promote peace and non-violence and alternatives to gangs. We also offer scholarships for family members of victims of homicide. The young man who won the scholarship that was named for my son, is now a senior in a local college and is majoring in political science and race relations!

This was a great thread! One of the more enjoyable I've read in a while.

Thanks

This is a hard one...

My first greatest accomplishment was winning 2nd place in an art contest against adults when I was 11. The contest was judged by Neil Adams who was a really important comic book artist at the time.

I think when I one of my plays opened on Broadway was huge for me. This one gets a slight asterick.

On a different level, I once saved the life of a 5 year old I found lying unconscious face down in the snow.

Teaching my grandmother how to walk and communicate after a stroke and being mismedicated and abused by a nursing home is somethng I am quite proud of.

Winning best commentary this year really did make my day recently.

It's funny looking back at the high moments, because I focus too often on the hardships and the difficulties and not the accomplishments. It's also really cool to see what other people have triumphed over.

Hmmmm-

Great Thread! Mine aren't as good... I need to do some catching up! Ok -You rulled out the father part sooooooo

1) Setting a USA record for benchpress - under 24 class. Weighed in at 148 and lifted 321lbs (Think I can lift 123 now....)

2) Being a slacker all my life, and then realizing that once I put my mind to it, I took a job and increased my Salery over 4 fold in 5 years (Of course for all you all know that means I started at $1 a hour and now make $4!!!!)

3) Knowing, on at least 2 occusions, that I made the difficult choice, one that hurt me, but was the right thing to do and helped 2 achive everythig they dreamed of, even though they will never know that I played a huge part in it. I first wrote out the details, but part of the satisfaction is knowing they will never know. If I type it out, they might know.

This is a great thread. It ought to be pinned to the top of the page.

My first thought was my wife and son as well, but other stuff...

Two deployments (96 and 99, I was there manning my panel for two bombing campaigns against Saddam) on the Enterprise.

A year of college (Division 3) football, which was enough to convince me that organized football isn't for me.

Completely frivolous: I can finish the Grand Theft Auto 3 storyline faster than anyone else has so far.

I have a lot of respect for anyone who has directly experienced a combat situation. I don't know that I could handle it personally. Also a lot of you here have helped other people much more than me. Kudos to all of you. And congrats to those of you who have faced losses I'm not prepared to deal with and moved forward with your lives.

Well...there are some monumental ppl here! These stories are great! Thanks for sharing.

My greatest personal accomplishment so far...getting thru boot camp and serving my country as a Navy Corpsman for 10 years. (No wars when I was in). I learned alot and my place is in medicine. Also passing my VA state boards for Xray Tech.

My humblest moment came by way of sacrifice for me. I lost my 15 y/o son 2 years ago to random gunfire. I don't talk about it much here...it tends to make folks sad. With that said...I will say this...Although that was the most horrible experience of my life...I was determined to have something good come out of the most tragic circumstances. I made the decision to donate his organs. Now at least 4 ppl have new leases on life b/c of the gift of life my son gave. I hope to meet them someday. I know they're doing wonderful things with their newly extended lives! Now I do volunteer work for LifeNet(www.save7lives.org), the organization that handled his organ donation, and I also joined a grassroots organization that helps others who have lost due to homicide(www.victimsagainstcrime.org). We run a summer programs for underprivileged kids and we promote peace and non-violence and alternatives to gangs. We also offer scholarships for family members of victims of homicide. The young man who won the scholarship that was named for my son, is now a senior in a local college and is majoring in political science and race relations!

This was a great thread! One of the more enjoyable I've read in a while.

Thanks

I just wanted to say your post touched me. When I was a young kid, a cub scout in fact, one of the kids I respected the most (his name was Andrew Lee) was killed. He was at a neighborhood kid's house and the kid went to 'show him' his dad's gun. Shot him right in the chest. Myself and other kids in our cub scout troop helped carry his coffin at the funeral. One of the saddest memories I have.

Now, being a Dad of a great son and daughter, I can't imagine what you've gone through - its every parent's worst nightmare. Bless your heart. Good for you that you've been able to carry on and make something positive out of it. I think thats nothing short of amazing, and makes my meager 'accomplishments' pale by comparison.

What a wonderful person you must be.

Great thread

I can't say making it through boot camp because it's pretty much a joke in the Air Force. Making it out of West Virginia is a different story. The furthest I had ever been from Harpers Ferry was Virginia Beach until I left for basic in November of 89. Seeing the look on my Dad's face the morning he dropped me off at the recruiter reassured me that I was making the right decision. Even though his eyes were filled with tears because his baby boy was leaving I could see the overwhelming pride that filled his heart. 17yrs later I've served my country in Europe, Asia, Bosnia and the Middle East. I'm a veteran of both wars and am currently doing my 5th tour, the third since 2003. I'm patriotic and love my country, I love serving it and MOST of the people in it. I'm thankful that God has given me the strength and resolve to make it this far and to do what I do for this long. I will continue to serve until my body can't take it anymore or until I get tired of them keeping me from my babies.

Other than that I would have to say my kids, even though they're banned from this thread they still top everything.

I built an 85 S15 with a small block 350, man that thing can fly.

Took a really nice 8pt in Maryland two years ago with a bow.

Recovered from a previous marriage of 10 years and was able to learn how to love again.

I always put my troops before myself and the mission. When I take this uniform off I want to be able to look in the mirror and know that I did all I could do to take care of the people who sacrafice their lives for their country. Nothing is more important to me than them, their like my kids.

Great thread

I can't say making it through boot camp because it's pretty much a joke in the Air Force. Making it out of West Virginia is a different story. The furthest I had ever been from Harpers Ferry was Virginia Beach until I left for basic in November of 89. Seeing the look on my Dad's face the morning he dropped me off at the recruiter reassured me that I was making the right decision. Even though his eyes were filled with tears because his baby boy was leaving I could see the overwhelming pride that filled his heart. 17yrs later I've served my country in Europe, Asia, Bosnia and the Middle East. I'm a veteran of both wars and am currently doing my 5th tour, the third since 2003. I'm patriotic and love my country, I love serving it and MOST of the people in it. I'm thankful that God has given me the strength and resolve to make it this far and to do what I do for this long. I will continue to serve until my body can't take it anymore or until I get tired of them keeping me from my babies.

Other than that I would have to say my kids, even though they're banned from this thread they still top everything.

I built an 85 S15 with a small block 350, man that thing can fly.

Took a really nice 8pt in Maryland two years ago with a bow.

Recovered from a previous marriage of 10 years and was able to learn how to love again.

I always put my troops before myself and the mission. When I take this uniform off I want to be able to look in the mirror and know that I did all I could do to take care of the people who sacrafice their lives for their country. Nothing is more important to me than them, their like my kids.

Another amazing post. Funny thing is, being this thread is 2 years old, I almost replied again, until I realized it was an old thread and my 'accomplishments' hadn't changed.

By the way, I call total bull**** on the restrictions - being a great husband and Dad is beyond question my life's greatest accomplishment. That its not 'good enough' for this thread really doesn't matter. In life, WHO we are to the people we love is really all that matters. If you think differently, I feel sorry for you.

Great idea for a thread!

I'll play (although if you hadn't forbid it, being a good parent would be my true #1!).

Leading a platoon of Marines into combat - without question - was the most mentally challenging thing I've done and likely will ever do.

Greatest physical achievement - I ran the Perrier Cherry Blossom 10 mile road race in 55 minutes at age 19, and getting through Marine Corps boot camp at Parris Island, and Infantry Officer's School in Quantico were up there too.

Can't wait to read the responses.

I knew I liked you, Tarhog. :D:cheers:

Hardest: I was a PSD team leader in Iraq for a year without losing a man while averaging a firefight a week.

Favorite: I promised my parents and grandfather when I left college for the Army that I would get my degree. 11 years later, I walked across the graduation stage to receive my Bachelor's Degree in Emergency Management with my parents in attendance.

I think my greatest accomplishment was quitting smoking ciggarettes and cocaine in 1990.I have still not touched either one since.I quit these nasty habits cold turkey and havent looked back since.I laugh when someone comes up to me and tries to bum a cig and I say I dont smoke.(thank god!):),but I still like my Budlight and Canadian Mist.:dallasuck .Another great accomplishment was changing careers in 1999 from hotel worker to the IT field by getting my A+ certification now I have worked in the IT field for almost seven years.

Another amazing post. Funny thing is, being this thread is 2 years old, I almost replied again, until I realized it was an old thread and my 'accomplishments' hadn't changed.

By the way, I call total bull**** on the restrictions - being a great husband and Dad is beyond question my life's greatest accomplishment. That its not 'good enough' for this thread really doesn't matter. In life, WHO we are to the people we love is really all that matters. If you think differently, I feel sorry for you.

I agree 110%, being a father/husband is what I'm most proud of. Nothing and I mean nothing makes me more proud than opening the front door after a day at work and having my daughter scream "Daddy!" while running and throwing her arms around my legs. Then to look over and have my not even one year old son grinning from ear to ear bouncing with excitement. Best feeling in the world and one hell of an accomplishment to be that person in a childs life when so many have that opportunity and chose not to take it. Father/husband is what defines me, nothing matters more.

Archived