Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sushi: Love it or hate it?

Westbrook36

I've just started getting into it since Hawaii has a strong Japanese culture/population. I've generally stuck to rolls as I learn what fish I like and don't like.

I've had a few experiences with sashimi and was indifferent.

It seems to me that most people I talk to either love it or hate it when it comes to sushi.

Absolutely love it, although there are some things that I stay away from. Like the eggs, for instance.

Spicy Tuna roll is a favorite. Yellowtail is another.

I would give octopus a try, despite how it sounds. It's actually cooked (bolied) and it's delicious. It's called Tako.

Octopus-Tako.jpg

Love it.

Its even better to make you own at home - takes a little practice - but is always loved at parties. Or course, having a huge asian/pacific islander population here in CA helps - since I have access to sushi grade salmon and other fish at the supermarket.

Sashimi rocks as well. :)

Damn, now I am hungry for sushi.

I work in a sushi bar... I know a lot of the good sushi chefs in the dc area. Sashimi is the jammy jam! The thing about sushi is finding a good sushi bar-- getting fresh highquality fish and making sure the sushi chef knows how to make the rice. 4 out 5 sushi bars are just plain terrible.

Never ever buy something premade/prepackaged.

Originally posted by Westbrook36

Sushi is an area where you will find the largest amount of snobs in regards to food. EVERYONE wants to claim that EVERYONE else is eating it wrong, eating the wrong thing, not knowledgable enough.

I've never had that experience in any of the restraunts in NY or DC that I've ever been too.

I would say that what you're talking about is more applicable to wine drinkers. I think ostentatiousness is at a high at a few of the places in the Napa Valley.

Love it all and have it at least once a week. Although I love the raw stuff, one of my favorites is the unagi. Unagi is eel that has been grilled and has a sweet teriyaki-ish sauce. It you don't like the raw fish, try that. I like rolls but I see them as the side dish.

It's an acquired taste. The first time I tried it, I felt weird about eating a raw fish. Once I got used to the idea of what it was and simply focused on the taste, I became a HUGE fan! Not only does it taste good, but it's good for you. It's by far one of my favorite foods (Except for Sea Urchen. That $hit is absolutely disgusting!)

I love sushi. Of course, I'm half Japanese, so I'm a bit biased. :)

I have found that there are definitely sushi snobs. Although, I will tell you: the way the fish is cut definitely matters. You don't want a lot of chewy, stringy fat in your fish. The right cut, and the fish will taste delicious and melt in your mouth. Plus, you don't want too much over-vinegarized rice in your sushi -- it'll overpower the fish.

Most places I've found have fresh fish, regardless of how well they cut it. So aside from obvious nasty examples, I can't say that I can taste the difference between "super fresh" and "fresh" sushi. :whoknows:

You don't like Uni?!?! It's like sea-peanutbutter :mmm: Has anyone taken hot sake shots with quails eggs?

Honestly though, its hard for people to get interested in it with so many terrible sushi places. I'm looking at you Sutton Place Gourmet, Whole Foods, Every place in bethesda except Tako Grille, every place in Adams Morgan cept Leftbank and saki, every place in Dupont except Dragonfly and Gazuza. Sushi Ko is good in G-town as is Cafe Asia in VA...

I love Sushi. It's quite nice. I tell people trying it to stick with the cooked variety at first. The tempura rolls or Spider Rolls, whatever. I love the unagi myself, which is also cooked I believe, but, eel is not a popular thing to get people to try :).

Originally posted by ChocolateCitySkin

You don't like Uni?!?! It's like sea-peanutbutter :mmm: Has anyone taken hot sake shots with quails eggs?

Honestly though, its hard for people to get interested in it with so many terrible sushi places. I'm looking at you Sutton Place Gourmet, Whole Foods, Every place in bethesda except Tako Grille, every place in Adams Morgan cept Leftbank and saki, every place in Dupont except Dragonfly and Gazuza. Sushi Ko is good in G-town as is Cafe Asia in VA...

You ever been to Kaz? I think their head chef came over from Sushi Ko (or vice versa). If you haven't been there I highly recommend it. :)

Originally posted by Westbrook36

Sushi is an area where you will find the largest amount of snobs in regards to food. EVERYONE wants to claim that EVERYONE else is eating it wrong, eating the wrong thing, not knowledgable enough.

You're only saying that because you're obviously eating your sushi wrong, eating the wrong type of sushi, or just don't know that very much about it. ;)

Seriously though, I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE sushi. Sashimi is even better. I could survive off the stuff if need be. Oh, its so good.

Originally posted by ChocolateCitySkin

You don't like Uni?!?! It's like sea-peanutbutter Has anyone taken hot sake shots with quails eggs?

:puke: Uni is foul.

Sushi Zen in Arlington is the bomb.

In South Florida, Sushi Blues Cafe is the bomb, as is Sushi Jazz, which is right down the street. Sushi Blues is more expensive, though, but I think it might be a tad fresher. If I'm going out with friends, I'll go to Jazz. If I'm taking a date, I'll go to Blues. Both are in downtown Hollywood.

Archived