Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sushi: Love it or hate it?

Westbrook36

Right here.

http://utah.citysearch.com/profile/10384525#editorialreview

Editorial Rating: Recommended

The Scene

Fish tanks, irreverent murals of dancing sumo wrestlers and stained-glass windows work in harmony, not quite disguising the building's religious origins.

The Food

Chef Peggi Whiting went from Salt Lake to Japan to learn by the side of one of the great sushi masters. A decade in Park City helped her shape a menu with a popular appeal. Sushi is the focus, with a variety of nigiri, maki and special rolls adapted to Utah tastes. The menu is balanced with tempura, teriyaki and sukiyaki offerings. For appetizers, the seafood gyoza are easy to love, as is the Kushi Ten, a nicely done tempura kabob. But sushi is the main event here--the deep-fried Charlie and Funky Charlie are easy to savor, and Mikey's mega roll is excellent, with soft shell crab, shrimp tempura and flying fish eggs.

I remember when Peggy first opened on Main Street. About 4 6 buildings down from where I was bartending/managing. If you went enough, you got your own chopsticks. I almost made it. She moved to Salt Lake about 8 years ago or so, :( , and though there are sushi places in town now, not quite the same. She makes a Charlie roll, ( Terryaki basted roll) that is just awsome. Sigh. :drool:

Little late to this thread:

I like sushi from resteraunt and sushi bars because it always made fresh with a variety of flavors, seafood and sauces. I however can't stomach the cheap $1.99 packs you can buy at grocery stores, they literally make me sick.

Originally posted by NoCalMike

Little late to this thread:

I like sushi from resteraunt and sushi bars because it always made fresh with a variety of flavors, seafood and sauces. I however can't stomach the cheap $1.99 packs you can buy at grocery stores, they literally make me sick.

$1.99? Man...I wouldn't eat that either. The Publix sushi is around $10 a box, which normally gives you about 8 pieces of sushi or 12-15 pieces of sashimi...

Originally posted by ChocolateCitySkin

Flaming dr pepper is a great shot. ;)

Some people like to put chopsticks on top of the cup and the shot on top of the chopsticks. They then pound the table until it falls in the beer. Works well with Amstel or Saporo and hot or cold sake. I'm a mean bartender and give people oversized shot glasses so they have to pour the shot into the beer... I don't want to see someone choking on glass.

Yeah, I was just going to say that...I've been to sushi restaurants before and this is how the sake bomb went: place two chopsticks on top of a pint of beer. Place sake cup on chopsticks. Tie napkin around head 'kamikaze' style. bang head on table until sake falls into beer. Chug and enjoy.

Originally posted by jbooma

It is not a "car bomb" but and "Irish Car Bomb!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

If you ever go into a real Irish pub, don't order an Irish car bomb, just a car bomb. Certain bartenders might take offense, and you may end up getting an irish fist to the face instead....

Originally posted by autographcollector

Does Sushi mean with rice, and sashimi w/o rice? Is it true sushi is california rolls????

Sushi is the slab of fish on a bed of rice, sometimes wrapped with a single piece of seaweed. Sushi rolls are small pieces of fish wrapped in seaweed and rice. Sashimi is the slabs of raw fish.

Technically, sushi is only raw fish, so I don't think California rolls count, as they contain cooked crab meat.

Originally posted by jrockster77

Sushi is the slab of fish on a bed of rice, sometimes wrapped with a single piece of seaweed. Sushi rolls are small pieces of fish wrapped in seaweed and rice. Sashimi is the slabs of raw fish.

Technically, sushi is only raw fish, so I don't think California rolls count, as they contain cooked crab meat.

Sushi definition....

Cold cooked rice dressed with vinegar that is shaped into bite-sized pieces and topped with raw or cooked fish, or formed into a roll with fish, egg, or vegetables and wrapped in seaweed.

I think noone on this board knows what sushi is.....

Sushi definition....

Cold cooked rice dressed with vinegar that is shaped into bite-sized pieces and topped with raw or cooked fish, or formed into a roll with fish, egg, or vegetables and wrapped in seaweed.

Originally posted by Westbrook36

Sushi is an area where you will find the largest amount of snobs in regards to food. EVERYONE wants to claim that EVERYONE else is eating it wrong, eating the wrong thing, not knowledgable enough.

;)

Anyway, me and the gf are going to Todai for lunch on Saturday. It has won the best seafood buffet in Honolulu for like 3 straight years.

They have one in Fairfax.....has anyone ate there before?

Originally posted by Westbrook36

;)

Anyway, me and the gf are going to Todai for lunch on Saturday. It has won the best seafood buffet in Honolulu for like 3 straight years.

They have one in Fairfax.....has anyone ate there before?

:laugh:

Guess you got me on that one....I was just trying to help a brotha out, nah'mean?

yah yah, sushi is called nigiri in america and has totally different connotations.

Who cares :blahblah:

I can spout off history the differences and between how the japanese view sushi too. It's overly complicated, imo heres how if you want to become a lover of sushi what you do:

1) eat just standard rolls till feeling adventurous

2) after feeling adventurous eat "nigiri"

3) after you craving nigiri start eating "sashimi"

If you really want more an more anal get a book.

Frankly, its a big mess for history b.c. a lot of what sushi bars serve is totally gringo-ized

(i.e. 90% what you get in an american sushi joint).

I may not be a smart man....but I know what sushi is... :laugh:

Who here prepares it at home? Anyone made spam 'sushi' (don't laugh) before?

I find the hardest thing is getting the rolls tight enough - but having the correct vinegar concentration and the right rice does help.

Of course, we are lucky that we have asian food stores all over NoCal.

Oh and Mike, stay away from the $1.99 sushi! And the Costco sushi! :laugh:

Originally posted by jrockster77

If you ever go into a real Irish pub, don't order an Irish car bomb, just a car bomb. Certain bartenders might take offense, and you may end up getting an irish fist to the face instead....

those certain bartenders are idiots, since that is the name of the drink, i know because i bartended for 10 years and yes i know bartenders in irish bars as well

those certain bartenders are idiots, since that is the name of the drink, i know because i bartended for 10 years and yes i know bartenders in irish bars as well

Looks at booma's age. Ummmm You just quit?

That's just a warning from an Irish friend that I got. I'm sure you know why, but Irish car bomb has a negative connotation for some Irish. I'm not 100% familiar with the history of Ireland, but it has to do with the IRA and Catholics vs. Protestants and all that. My friend told me that if you happen to get a very religious bartender, there is a good chance that he may get extremely P.O.'d about it.

And I believe the name 'Irish Car Bomb' was coined by an American, not an Irishman....only a guess though....

Sushi definition....

All I know is that I ate a ton of raw oysters and clams when

a kid. Back then the water around here was much cleaner.

It was safe to eat raw shellfish back then.

I miss raw oysters.

• 3 years later...

Archived