Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sushi: Love it or hate it?

Westbrook36

Originally posted by jbooma

For those that live near Reston there is a new Sushi place that has an all you can eat buffet during lunch off of Elden that is soooooooooooooooooo good. It is called Matsuri and they have a "Redskins Roll" which is like butter :D

Yeah, ate there for the first time last month and was surprised at how fresh the fish was. Highly recommend it. Missed the Redskins Roll - definitely having it on my next trip...is it lunch-time yet?

:D

I hate the stir recently in regards to sushi joints.. I mean there's a town that shall remain nameless here in Jersey that almost every restaurant offers sushi in on way shape or form.

Italian & Sushi, continental & sushi, steak joints & sushi... Its just ridiculous.

With that being said, being an avid tuna fisherman, there is nothing better than freshly chilled bluefin or yellowfin tuna eaten within 1/2 hour of being caught 40-100 miles offshore.

Its very ritualistic fo us, but I swear that the quality cannot be matched. There is just something about it that many people will never experience.

I look forward to tailgatin' with some of y'all this season and eating plenty of tuna, shark and sword steaks on the grill!!!

8724_w_blk_Aftco_Got_Wasab.jpg

Originally posted by herrmag

OH, for those of you that live near the arlington area, they have a $10.95 ALL YOU CAN EAT sushi buffet during lunch (I believe it's 11am - 2pm). Worth it. I pack it in!

Forget to mention the restaurant. MATSUTAKI. It's not the best, but good enough for an all you can eat. And it's next to the Ballston mall.

EDIT: I'm not a fat guy, but with this avatar, I suddenly feel fat......I need to reach the next plateau before I get a complex:laugh:

There is also an all you can eat lunch buffet in Rosslyn....I can't remember the name, though. I'm not even sure its still there, but I can't imagine they went out of business. They got tons of business every day.

Originally posted by jbooma

love yellowtail i could eat sushi everynight :)

the key to liking it is to make sure your first try is good, i would recommend for those interesting in trying sushi, go to a nice sushi place, even if it is a little $$ it is so worth it

stay away from grocery store sushi, unless it is from like wegmans, fresh fields, and even harris teeter

giant, safeway, trader joes is all nasty :puke:

For those of you living in South Florida (Ft. Lauderdale area), Publix sushi isn't bad at all. But only buy it if they have a sushi chef there preparing it in front of you. I try to go in when he's packaging it up to get it when its the freshest.

Originally posted by AJWatson3

i am a big fan of car bombs, the drink... what's a saki bomb?

A sake bomb is an invitation for trouble. :)

It involves, in my experience, dropping a shot of sake into a full beer and then chugging the whole thing.

The means of putting the sake into the beer and the speed of consumption varies, but that's the gist.

The worst part about them for me is that after I've done several, I don't feel drunk so I keep on doing them and/or continue drinking until way too late.

EDIT: T.E.G. beat me to it. :)

I've never done the standing version.

Originally posted by T.E.G.

iheart,

The Evil Genius doesn't recommend operating machinery after partaking in saki bomb drinking. :)

I don't recommend operating anything more complicated than a bathroom door when consuming sake bombs. :)

The last time I did sake bombs was at my brother in law's bachelor party. We ended up putting his head through a rice paper wall right after the miso soup came--or about 30 minutes into the binge drinki--er meal. :)

Damnit - I love miso soup. Now I want japanese tonight.

Sake bombs=good times=impending trouble.

Although, if you went to a college in which Everclear (the drink, not the band) was a staple - you should be able to handle a few saki bombs over the period of an hour or two without causing too much trouble.

Originally posted by T.E.G.

Sake bombs=good times=impending trouble.

That maxim should be printed on the menus at every Japanese Restaurant as a reminder--or more accurately a warning.

Although, if you went to a college in which Everclear (the drink, not the band) was a staple - you should be able to handle a few saki bombs over the period of an hour or two without causing too much trouble.

Nothing like a little Kool-Aid and Everclear. It was hard to get in Central NY, because you can't (or at least we couldn't) buy it in NY, Pennsylvania or New Jersey, but when we had it, it was black out central. That stuff is serious trouble. :)

A sake bomb with the sushi. Now that's something I haven't tried. I just may have to do that next time out for sushi, ( whenever the hell that may be). Do remember doing a version of the Flaming Dr. Pepper in a similar fashion. Same results. Focusing on anything smaller than say... a wall is problematic at best. Both eyes in one socket kind of thing. :)

Originally posted by Park City Skins

A sake bomb with the sushi. Now that's something I haven't tried. I just may have to do that next time out for sushi, ( whenever the hell that may be). Do remember doing a version of the Flaming Dr. Pepper in a similar fashion. Same results. Focusing on anything smaller than say... a wall is problematic at best. Both eyes in one socket kind of thing. :)

Flaming dr pepper is a great shot. ;)

Some people like to put chopsticks on top of the cup and the shot on top of the chopsticks. They then pound the table until it falls in the beer. Works well with Amstel or Saporo and hot or cold sake. I'm a mean bartender and give people oversized shot glasses so they have to pour the shot into the beer... I don't want to see someone choking on glass.

My experience, both in the US and in Japan, is that it entirely depends on who's preparing it.

Find a quality sushi chef and theres not much better in this world. Really high-quality seafood, blazing wasabi, fresh ginger, a little Kirin or other Asian beer (okay - a LOT of Asian beer)....man, thats hard to beat.

We have a great sushi place right here in Greensboro, NC....Asahi's......I take my Dad and brother out about once a month. Its an awesome experience.

Count me in the 'love it' category. Then again, I've prepared my own 'sashimi' 30 seconds after pulling a freshly caught Tuna off my rod. Cut the ***** up on the gunnel and eaten it raw.

So, I'll confess, I'm pretty hardcore. Sushi can be a wonderful thing skillfully prepared.

Archived