Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sushi: Love it or hate it?

Westbrook36

lol.

I do remember going to Korean BBQ with a group of Koreans. After every piece of meat, I was told to do a shot of this 40 or 50 proof vodka-like drink. Every man had to do this, or some bullshat. Basically each individual lettuce wrap had a shot to go along with it. Talk about hammertime.

It's called Soju. Good stuff. I work for a Korean company and we periodically go out to Korean BBQ places and do the drinking rituals. Because it's only 40 proof you don't get too hammered. But don't go with them to Karaoke afterword, then they'll move to harder stuff.

• 2 years later...
some place I can take my wife on a date and give her some sea urchin . :silly:

Sea urchin? Do you not like your wife or something? Stuff is the nastiest "food" I've ever put in my mouth, tastes like thick, wet, slimy mud. :puke:

And this is coming from someone who LOVES sushi and sashimi.

First and only time I tried sea urchin I was sitting at the sushi bar for happy hour; 1/2 price sushi! w00t!! The chef tells me that I need to try sea urchin, and he insists that it's a Japanese delicacy. So I say serve it up, after I muscle down both pieces (yes both, I have a rule when I eat something new that I will try it with integrity, no "bite and spits", that way no one can say "Well you didn't give it a fair chance") of sea urchin sushi and clean my mouth with some tea I look at the chef and say, "Well, I know what delicacy means in Japanese.....something you have to eat when you lose a bet."

Yeah, I'm not going to get the feedback I'm looking for I mighnt need to start a new thread.

This place in Chinatown is one of the best I've had in the city:

http://www.momijidc.com/Momiji_Restaurant_/Home.html

And it's not far from where you're staying. My other favorite sushi place in the area is Momo sushi in Old Town...it's pretty far from where you're staying though:

http://mymomosushi.com/

---------- Post added August-10th-2011 at 09:41 AM ----------

Also, this thread reminds me of a bunch of old ES posters that I haven't seen in a while.

Is Wasabi a dine in or carry out? I'm looking for a place thats not over the top but very nice, some place I can take my wife on a date and give her some sea urchin . :silly:

It has a carry out menu, but I highly recommend dining in if you choose this joint. The sushi boat style serving is an experience in and of itself.

mxVj5aOx-PM

It has a carry out menu' date=' but I highly recommend dining in if you choose this joint. The sushi boat style serving is an experience in and of itself.

[YOUTUBE']mxVj5aOx-PM[/YOUTUBE]

That's pretty cool, full on Japanese style. Have you ever been to KAZ or Sushi Taro?

---------- Post added August-10th-2011 at 10:17 PM ----------

Sea urchin? Do you not like your wife or something? Stuff is the nastiest "food" I've ever put in my mouth, tastes like thick, wet, slimy mud. :puke:

And this is coming from someone who LOVES sushi and sashimi.

First and only time I tried sea urchin I was sitting at the sushi bar for happy hour; 1/2 price sushi! w00t!! The chef tells me that I need to try sea urchin, and he insists that it's a Japanese delicacy. So I say serve it up, after I muscle down both pieces (yes both, I have a rule when I eat something new that I will try it with integrity, no "bite and spits", that way no one can say "Well you didn't give it a fair chance") of sea urchin sushi and clean my mouth with some tea I look at the chef and say, "Well, I know what delicacy means in Japanese.....something you have to eat when you lose a bet."

I've only had it at Minato in Baltimore and it was always very good, realy creamy, kind of sweet, yummy. Not that I need extra mojo, but supposedly sea urchin acts as an aphrodesiac the same way raw oysters do. :silly:

---------- Post added August-10th-2011 at 10:18 PM ----------

Isnt there an ES poster that owns a Sushi joint or two in DC?

Wow...10 pages in...Ok.

I love sushi. I'm in the like category for sashami.. The one time I actually went to a sushi bar, I got the sashami platter. I ate it all, but some of the fish made me want to throw up. Not the taste,but the texture. Eel is the best by far! Good God it's great..

99.7% of all of the times I've eaten sushi has been at an Asian buffet... I have one about 25 minutes away and their sushi is pretty good. But I went to an Asian Buffet in Florida called Chow Time...Good lord. They have about 15 types of sushi for your all you can eat consumption....2nd best restaurant I've ever been to.

I've only had it at Minato in Baltimore and it was always very good, realy creamy, kind of sweet, yummy. Not that I need extra mojo, but supposedly sea urchin acts as an aphrodesiac the same way raw oysters do. :silly:

Well I know the last thing I felt after eating the sea urchin was the desire to take a roll in the hay with my wife. :ols: Anthony Bourdain has a theory about cultures, that everyone of them has a really raunchy food that is considered to be good for your libido, and that none of them really are, as for me I think that is just something they say to get the next sucker to take a bite of it.

I love sushi. But the fish quality is easy. There are plenty of places to go around here where the fish quality is spectacular. In rockville, you don't have to go any farther than http://www.sushioishii.com/

I have been to all the joints in bethesda, freshest fish is probably taco grill.

But for GREAT nigiri and rolls, it's all about the sushi rice. I went to a this place called The Cultured Pearl in Rehoboth DE a few weeks ago. Fish quality? Outstanding. Really, no complaints there at all. But the sushi rice? Ugh. Dry and pieces dropping off the rolls. Good god, for the price, there is simply no way that should have been happening. Plus, it didn't taste great like it sometimes can. Good sushi rice can really bring out the flavor of the sushi, strange as it may sound. So did I enjoy my meal? Sure. But it wasn't great.

Every time I want great sushi, I drive up to Sushi Sono in Columbia, MD. Seriously, I can't say enough about that place. (About 100-125 for my wife and I to eat there with the tip and all.)

Archived