Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Your thoughts on Snyder.......

I am a cowpuke fan as you call it. I just hated it when Jerry meddled in the front office from 96 to 03. I was just wondering if some of you think Snyder has hindered the team. I don't follow the skins much, but I can't help but see the similarities. Of course, we love having an owner who is willing to pay the big bucks, sorry Minny fans, but are they (Snyder and J. Jones) disruptive enough to keep them out of the SB. Just curious what you guys think.

Snyder is learning. He has a meddling rep that was well deserved from his early years....however, today he appears to be involved only in the business end. Sadly, the media has decided to typecast him with his past rep, thus folks not familiar with the Redskins have a distorted impression.

I like Snyder today. He is passionate about his team and will provide anything his coachs ask for. He leaves the football matters to those that know (Gibbs). As long as he continues to operate that way, I believe the Redskins should be viewed as fortunate to have him as an owner.

Dan Snyder has made some mistakes - and he has fully admitted that - mistakes from which he has learned. He admitted to Casserly that he fired the wrong guy... he admitted that he never should have fired Norv before the end of the season... he admitted that he gave Marty too much control and you can see he was right in the results of the one draft that Marty controlled.

At no point during his time as owner has he EVER presumed to know enough about talent to be the GM or act as the GM. And despite the coaching carousel, he landed the biggest possible fish he could ever land in the eyes of Redskins fans - Coach Gibbs.

We all wish that the team has had more success during Snyder's tenure.... but at least we know its NOT from lack of trying, or lack of desire to build a winning team.

Not all fans of NFL teams are as lucky as we are. Once the winning starts, Snyder will become as beloved as Jack Kent Cooke.... maybe even moreso if he can keep Joe Gibbs around to win another couple Super Bowls.

My friend (who's a huge demorcrat) said that rooting for the Redskins is like rooting for the troops in Iraq, they don't like the leader (Bush/Snyder) but they like the players (troops/players). I'm not saying this is my political affiliation, and I'm not trying to tie this into politics, but a lot of people definitely don't like Snyder, Skins fan or not. I don't mind him now. He really screwed us at the start, and I am bitter towards that, but now he seems like he has learned. I hope he can keep up the recent style.

Blade has it right. Dan has made mistakes, but he is passionate about this team. Because he believes he can make things happen, we have Joe Gibbs back coaching. Snyder was a great owner last year--name me one thing he did wrong?? He handed the reins over to Joe Gibbs and got him the players he wanted. The press should ease up some. Dan will be loved if this team wins a SuperBowl!

You cant fault Snyder for trying. At least hes not trying to get rid of players to make more money for himself. Hes trying to bring in players that can make the skins win, he just didnt know how to go about it at first. Bringing back Gibbs cancelled out everyting wrong he ever did. Even if Gibbs doesnt win a superbowl, which he shouldnt be judged on that alone, he will create an atmosphere of winning and classiness. I love the fact that we have an owner who is willing to do whatever it takes to win, at least hes trying.

Like others, I have no problem with Danny these days. He's an owner who wants to win badly, and that may be his one fault. I believe he's on the right track.

As previously mentioned, there is a learning curve, and I think he's come a long way since his early days with the team. I always thought him coming in with a take no prisoners attitude(in the beginning) was a mistake, but that's what he learned worked from his business background.

The one thing I'll point to is firing Turner before the end of the season. That bothered me because we still had a chance at the playoffs at that point, but he obviously viewed Turner as an underacheiving coach who wasn't in the mold of what he wanted long term for the team.

I'm betting he learned a lot with the Spurrier experiment. Obviously all that glitters isn't gold, and goes to show how wrong all the experts can be. That one had to sting. But I admire that he was willing to stand behind his embattered coach, although it would have been ugly to watch. Luckily the ball coach took the higher ground and resigned taking his chuck and duck offense with him.

When things were at there worse he followed up by landing Joe Gibbs. Man, if that doesn't make everything better nothing will!!

As a Skin's fan, I don't buy into all the bad press he gets. I see him trying to do what's right for the team, and he's rattled a few cages in the process. I'm expecting everything to come together nicely for him in the next few years.

Here's a thread where many of us have debated Snyder's competency as an owner.

There are many who are very much behind him, and there are others that are not.

Here's another long thread where this topic was discussed ad nauseum.

Welcome aboard 5 Super Bowls, if you haven't already, take a look at the Rules & Guidelines and know that knowledgeable fans from other teams are always welcome here. :)

Originally posted by iheartskins

Welcome aboard 5 Super Bowls, if you haven't already, take a look at the Rules & Guidelines and know that knowledgeable fans from other teams are always welcome here. :)

Thanks. I don't think I will have to read the guidelines to know that I won't be banned for giving an opinion. I have no reason to believe that I will offend any of you. I think I have proven that over the years on other boards. I have only one goal by going to other boards, and that is to get outside opinions from fans of rivals. No smack talk here. I value outside educated opinions.

knowledgable fans are always welcome! I dont mind Snyder as much as I used to. As everyone has said, before he was too eager, and now he has learned better. If this consistency we have can continue, that will be better.

Originally posted by iheartskins

Damn dude, those threads were months ago. Lighten up.

Originally posted by GSF

GSF,

I think Iheart was simply showing threads from this year to help in answering this members question. He didn't suggest there was no place for a new thread of this type. Just that if he wanted some background, it was out there.

As I said in both those threads and has proven to be the case, Snyder is an excellent owner who is in complete possession of all traits each team would want in their owner. He spends his money on the team. He defers to his football people. He demands they produce. He is not at all meddling by any definition of the word. He owns the team, so, even if you thought he WAS meddling, that would be an impossibility given the team is his.

But, even given that fact, Snyder avoids football decisions. He has been of benefit to the team in deciding tiebreakers between personnel people and coaches, but, even here, he's rarely had an impact on his coach and his coach's ability to produce on the field since early with Norv.

The closest he's come to interference with his coach was in releasing the third-string QB and fourth-string running back. Hardly moves that are criticial to a team's success even if you believe he was the reason those players were released a couple of years ago.

Unlike Jones who is an owner who not only participates but MAKES football decisions, Snyder avoids such instances. Many people who do not wish to understand the situation say otherwise, but such statements are uniformly false since 2000.

At some point people have to stop punishing the man because he overruled Norv Turner initially. The weight of the evidence of how he avoids football decisions is on his side, so, arguments to the contrary are fictional in nature all the time. As Redskin fans we know this. Eventually, even the fiction writers will too.

Originally posted by GSF

Originally posted by Art

GSF,

I think Iheart was simply showing threads from this year to help in answering this members question. He didn't suggest there was no place for a new thread of this type. Just that if he wanted some background, it was out there.

GSF, my intention was exactly as Art said. I didn't intend to come across as harsh at all, only to provide a link to some thoughful debates that we've had here on the subject in case 5 Super Bowls, or anyone else who is interested, had the facility to check two of the more meaingful, and recent, debates we've had about Snyder. :)

i wouldn't trade snyder for any other owner.

as many posters have stated, he made his mistakes. he has learned from them, contrary to what the media would have you believe. he leaves football to the football guys.

snyder is a business man, and he's one heck of one. his ability to market this team is undeniable. and the money he makes off this marketing is spent where it should be, on the TEAM.

WHEN he wins, the critics will realize this.

I fully support Snyder, echoing what many on this thread have said. He absolutely WAS the meddeling owner, but has since seen the error his ways and stepped way back from that. 5 Super Bowls, it is understandable that you and many others who don't follow the Redskins closely might believe otherwise b/c of the bad press he gets. This bad press is not likely to subside, even if we win, in my opinion. I do not believe that Mr. Snyder is very well liked at all around the NFL because of his marketing/money making ability. I have seen articles where the insinuation at the least is that other owners don't like him b/c of the money he makes. The man is brilliant as a marketing of the Redskins franchise. He knows how to make money off the franchise (Jerry Jones is quite good at this as well, by the way); we as fans appraciate him b/c he is more than willing to return much of that money back into developing the team and making it better. For example, all teams have the same salary cap (except Denver, apparently), meaning we can not spend any more money on players than the next team. But Mr. Snyder is willing to make Gregg Williams the highest paid Assistant Coach in the league, just as he was willing to do the same for Marvin Lewis a few years ago. That's why we love him, those of us who do, anyway. Other owners are not willing to learn how to make that extra money, and thus are resentful of him, and will probably always have nasty little "anonymous" soundbites for the press when it comes to "Danny-Boy". Long answer, sorry, but that is why I do not see things improving in the press for Mr. Snyder but so much.

Originally posted by Monkart

Took him some time to find his place, but you can never deny his passion to win!!!!:cheers:

Wanting to win is great.

Failing in your attempts is sad.

You have to hope he learned his lessons from his fat wallet days.

Archived