Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who are the 2018-19 Redskins?

Burgold

35 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

It is, I just don't think it's a recipe for success.  The defense is pretty good, but it's not the '85 Bears or the '00 Ravens.  

Think we need to really think about what success means then, at least in the context of this current roster. 

Super Bowl?  I dont think so.  Playoffs? At this rate, ya.  When you arent a championship contender, winning games and something to build off of goin into the offseason is the next step down. 

Without knowing what Philly is really about yet this year, we might not see a contender the rest of the year.  That's a lot of winnable football games. 

I get not judging team in a vacuum, but I'm noticing a lot of judging this team out of frustration not being a contender for nearly 30 years.  It will be impossible to jus sit back and enjoy what this is when one insists to look at it that way.  We beat Norv for first time inforever, Cam for first time ever. 

I'm in the acceptance stage of the season already, join me.

56 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

It is, I just don't think it's a recipe for success.  The defense is pretty good, but it's not the '85 Bears or the '00 Ravens.  

I get that. You probably desire filet or a good barbecue. The Redskins are serving up gruel. Now, gruel will fill you up and keep you going through the day, but it kind of looks and tastes nasty. The last time we had a steady diet of gruel was probably Marty Schottenheimer. This season, unlike Marty's we have some variety. You got gruel one week and then the next week... horse poop.

I'm hopeful we see gruel against the Cowboys. Still, I wouldn't mind a crab cake every now and then though.

1 minute ago, Burgold said:

I get that. You probably desire filet or a good barbecue. The Redskins are serving up gruel. Now, gruel will fill you up and keep you going through the day, but it kind of looks and tastes nasty. The last time we had a steady diet of gruel was probably Marty Schottenheimer. This season, unlike Marty's we have some variety. You got gruel one week and then the next week... horse poop.

I'm hopeful we see gruel against the Cowboys. Still, I wouldn't mind a crab cake every now and then though.

Who doesn't desire filet or good bbq?  

I just don't think it's a recipe for success, just like come from behind wins aren't sustainable.  

Its not as Jekyll & hide as people think. Its actually pretty simple and straightforward to figure out what this team is. The FACT is when this teams goes over 100 yards rushing we win. We are running football team that can play good defense when we control time of possession. I said in week 1 this is a Joe Gibbs throwback team. The New Orleans game was a atrocious game plan and we never made any real effort to establish run dominance. We came out passing and that failed miserably, why would any head coach want to get into a shootout vs Drew Brees with Alex Smith.

This team will go as far as our O Line and AP will take us. Its all about field position and ball control with the 2018 Redskins

16 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I just don't think it's a recipe for success, just like come from behind wins aren't sustainable.  

The Marty style demands perfection. If the offense or defense makes a single mistake, the team loses. If they play a perfect game, they are in it at the end with a chance to win.

I'm not really a fan of Martyball either. I don't really think we're seeing a true version of Martyball though... maybe this is its West Coast cousin. Where three yards and a pile of dust is traded in for a three yard pass and a pile of dust?

5 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Thats been the thing even prior to the 3-2 start, does the team have the makings of a team that can win at all?  Not exactly can they win it all right now, but can you envision it going that direction in the next few years?  What I see is a different looking version of what my expectations were.  But expectations remain the same.  If all things swing the right way, they could get into the playoffs.  Definitely appears a middling team destined to stay middling at best.

They rise and fall with this guy.peterson.thumb.jpg.310136cf1347b418219a2b0b2bd35ea9.jpg  Who would have thought?

Will they break out of this?  Will see.

1. The Redskins are 1-1 in their last 2 games, 2-2 in their last 4 and 3-3 in their last 6. They're 5-5 in their last 10, 6-6 in their last 12, 7-7 in their last 14. They're 10-10 in their last 20. They're 16-16-1 in their last 33. They're 18-18-1 in their last 37.

12 hours ago, Thinking Skins said:

I kinda disagree. I think it's just growth from guys like Allen, Payne and Dunbar, maybe Nicholson. Adding players from external hasn't been as good. 

JHC did make one play today and i hope he continues to grow. 

It *is* growth for those guys. Plus (IMO) a piece on the edge and one at inside LB.

We're just an average as average gets football team. That's who we are. I would rather have a 3-13 or 2-14 year to have the opportunity to draft a Jared Goff or Mahomes type of QB, rather than doing this stuff we're doing. Even if we make the playoffs we're not going anywhere. This is not a SB type of team at all. It's peak is a one and done in the playoffs.

8 minutes ago, Alexa said:

We're just an average as average gets football team. That's who we are. I would rather have a 3-13 or 2-14 year to have the opportunity to draft a Jared Goff or Mahomes type of QB, rather than doing this stuff we're doing. Even if we make the playoffs we're not going anywhere. This is not a SB type of team at all. It's peak is a one and done in the playoffs.

I actually couldn't disagree more. The Rams before last year were bottom dwellers for years and hadn't even made the playoffs since 2003. Their team had top 5 pick after top 5 pick, so just cause they finally got it right doesn't mean it's some great strategy to go 2-14. And the Chiefs made the playoffs the year they traded up to get Mahomes, I believe at 13. That's certainly an option for us with Smith. I would much rather field competitive teams year after year and continue to build rather than blow it all up for top 5 picks. If we have another draft similar to our last 2 with our 10+ picks, I would venture to guess 2019-2022 will be a nice little window for us. We obviously need to find that QBOTF though.

25 minutes ago, HardcoreZorn said:

I actually couldn't disagree more. The Rams before last year were bottom dwellers for years and hadn't even made the playoffs since 2003. Their team had top 5 pick after top 5 pick, so just cause they finally got it right doesn't mean it's some great strategy to go 2-14. And the Chiefs made the playoffs the year they traded up to get Mahomes, I believe at 13. That's certainly an option for us with Smith. I would much rather field competitive teams year after year and continue to build rather than blow it all up for top 5 picks. If we have another draft similar to our last 2 with our 10+ picks, I would venture to guess 2019-2022 will be a nice little window for us. We obviously need to find that QBOTF though.

Right but they have Goff and we don't. 

The Browns are a better example... they've had numerous 1st rounders and couldn't win a game for 2 years and don't look much better this year either... Sure, they're competitive now and Mayfield was a good pick, however, that's what numerous top picks gets you and doesn't automatically equal winning on the field. 

A good FA strategy, decent drafting and quality coaching is what will win you games in the NFL. The Eagles went from the bottom to the top and won the Super Bowl in one season with good coaching and balanced units. They certainly didn't have numerous top picks.

I went to the Rams / Bronco game yesterday. We don't have the level of talent that the rams have on offense. You can see it with your eyes. If anyone thinks this roster "is as talented", you are fooling your self. Yes, we have some good players. But we don't have the depth of speed and talent, top to bottom. Did anyone else watch the night game last night? Overflowing with talent.

Archived