Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Wildfires Thread

China

2 hours ago, PCS said:

During that escape. 

I can't imagine the feeling of having to escape from my own community literally set aflame.  It's a terrifying ordeal to consider.  That moment when they break out into the sunshine must have felt miraculous.  Like stepping out of hell itself.

• Like 1

@Destino
Our counties in SoCal know when to evac.
My experience is that the first 24 hours and fire break during night-time are the most dangerous times.

That was the scary part about the Woolsey fire. It spread fast during the night.

My family is still evac'd. First due to the Hill Fire, but now it looks like the Woolsey fire is coming towards us from a different direction. Now that it is at the coast, Santa Anas should keep it there.... I hope...

Spent 2 nights with friends, but will be moving to a hotel.

@Destino
What is more crazy to me are the people who stay with their houses. We know people who did this during the fire last year -- spraying a garden hose on roof... and someone this year too.

Its true that random embers flying through the air can travel, and are fairly benign .. but do you want to worry about getting out once fire is that close (hence MANDATORY evacuation).

I am in Sacramento about an hour and change from Paradise, CA.  I was up that way a couple weeks ago disc golfing in Oroville, which is about 16 miles from Paradise.  It is so sad that the entire town has been wiped out.   Smoke is thick and hazy here in Sacramento.  We are a valley city so when the massive fires, the smoke tens to billow down here for awhile.  With no wind, there is nothing really pushing the smoke away.  It is nasty out there, but nothing close to the actual devastation that took place in Paradise. 

• Like 1

Day 3: Death toll climbs to 23 in Camp Fire

PARADISE — The death toll climbed to 23 as firefighters made some progress overnight to establish control of the Camp Fire in Butte County, which is already the most destructive wildfire in state history.

The amount of acreage burned increased to 105,000 acres but containment jumped from 5 percent to 20 percent. With 6,713 structures burned, including 6,453 homes and much of the town of Paradise, it supplanted the Tubbs Fire in wine country last year that burned 5,636 structures as the most destructive.

Fourteen fatalities were confirmed Saturday by Butte County Sheriff Kory Honea in the evening press conference. Including the nine dead confirmed Friday, the total of confirmed fatalities rose to 23.

CAMP-ANDRE412.jpg?w=767

Click on the link for the full article

Camp Fire leaves 29 dead, 228 missing as blaze continues to grow

The voracious Camp Fire that ran rampant through Butte County’s hilly towns last week has officially stamped itself as the most merciless in state history, and left forensics experts with a grisly chore in the weeks ahead — finding and identifying those who perished.

Officials reported Sunday night that the death toll has reached 29, making it the deadliest California fire in 85 years. The Camp Fire has also destroyed 6,700 buildings, making it the most destructive blaze in state history measured by loss of structures. Most of the damage and death occurred in the town of Paradise, just east of Chico, which was almost entirely consumed by flames on Thursday.

The death toll, which increased by six on Sunday, equals the death toll from the 1933 Griffith Fire in Los Angeles as the worst mass-casualty wildland fire ever in the state. The Oakland hills Tunnel Fire in 1991 caused 25 deaths.

The fire slowed some on Sunday, but officials said the risk of flaring remains high and winds are once again a threat overnight. 

Click on the link for the full article and video

My company used to have an office in Calabasas. It closed down, so we don't need to be up there. It's a very wealthy, beautiful area. Crazy that the whole thing is basically a hellfire. I'm 60 miles south of there, and the sky is hazy and the air quality is horrible.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

93-Year-Old Woman Is Saved from California Wildfires by Her Friend, the Garbage Collector

With her caregiver gone for the day, Margaret Newsum feared for her life after hearing about the Camp Fire terrorizing Paradise, a small town just minutes from Magalia, according to KCRA. That’s when Dane Ray Cumming, a waste management driver, arrived.

“I went out and was standing on the front porch when this great, big, green monster drove up, and my dear friend was emptying the garbage,” Newsum recalled to the station. “He said, ‘You’re not staying here. You’ve got to get out of here. Why are you still here?’ “

Cummings tried to reach Newsum’s caregiver by phone, but was unsuccessful. So, he took matters into his own hands, breaking company protocol and putting her in his truck with the help of a few people nearby, the station reported.

“They lifted her, and we scooted her on the seat and put the seat belt on her and made sure she was up there far enough so she wouldn’t fall out either side, and that was it,” Cummings told KCRA. “We were on the road.”

• Like 1

On 7/31/2018 at 1:22 PM, zoony said:

I think a lot of it also has to do with the overpopulation of the state.  There is a lot more built up that is subsequently destroyed, in other words.  4 million people in LA alone, that many people in a desert is probably not good and is likely more of a factor in the wildfire problem than climate change

That said do we have some evidence that fire season is influenced by climate change, but its far from conclusive.  Scientific American said this LY https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/heres-what-we-know-about-wildfires-and-climate-change/

In the meantime I think with respect to the victims we ought not to politicize this, especially without a solid footing of evidence.  Thats probably just going to end up marginalizing the victims who need help from everyone right now, not just climate change crusaders.

You are right but there is so much eye evidence in both hurricane strength, wildfire, flooding, that we cant keep ignoring it. Maybe we are in a cycle, but the fact we keep being as warm or if not setting records has to have something to do with it.

And ill give you Tornadic activity was down this year, but also could be result of this trend in difference in ground temp vs air temp is not as much.

Edited by dcdiscokid

Frantic search for hundreds missing in Paradise fire as death toll increases

PARADISE, Calif. - The deadliest wildfire in California history continued its destructive march overnight as authorities and family members mounted desperate searches for the hundreds still missing.

The Camp fire has scorched 125,000 acres since Thursday and claimed at least 42 lives as it ripped thorough mountain towns in Butte County. More than 7,100 structures - mostly homes in Paradise - were turned to rubble as the blaze charred the region.

The death toll from the fire jumped to 42 Monday when officials said they recovered the remains of 13 people as teams continued to search the burned-out rubble of thousands of lost homes. The remains of 10 people were located in Paradise, and three were found in the Concow area.

Man, I saw a video on Facebook of a guy who jumped out of his Jeep and hopped a fence to lay underwater in a creek as the wall of fire went over him.

Had no idea this was coming....... 

He then ran back to the road, and everyone was dead.  He knew most of them, friends and neighbors.  

The guy filmed the cars of his friends and zoomed in...there were charred black skeletons sitting in the car seats and some skeletons on the ground as people tried to leave their cars and run.  Fully intact, burnt skeletons in all the cars.  It sent chills down my spine.  To leave this earth like that....Jesus. those poor people.   :(

Edited by Chew
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Chew said:

Man, I saw a video on Facebook of a guy who jumped out of his Jeep and hopped a fence to lay underwater in a creek as the wall of fire went over him.

He then ran back to the road, and everyone was dead.  He knew most of them, friends and neighbors.  

The guy filmed the cars of his friends and zoomed in...there were charred black skeletons sitting in the car seats and some skeletons on the ground as people tried to leave their cars and run.  Fully intact, burnt skeletons in all the cars.  It sent chills down my spine.  To leave this earth like that....Jesus. those poor people.   :(

Thats just insane, its so terrible something like that going on and our president no where to be found other than drop some dumb ass twitter bombs. God hep us all. I saw there was a new flare up as I was leaving work, hope all get out and survive. Prayers and thoughts.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Chew said:

I saw part of that video not too long after it came out. Clicked out of it after the first view of the remains. Seen enough of that **** in my day. What you said about those poor people. 

Add.

My wife works with a nurse who worked a bit in the Hospital that burned down. That nurse still knows some folks who work(ed) at that hospital and has shared their stories about that time last week. Tragic,horrific,but heroic at the same time. For crying out loud they put patients in their own cars and drove threw that hell to get them to safety. Can't say enough about the bravery and selflessness in what their actions during that time. 

• Sad 1