Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Daniel Snyder ...Dare We Say Maturing....as a competent owner

skins_warrior

4 hours ago, bedlamVR said:

@Skinsinparadise on the roster - I do see your point . There is no one unit that jumps out at you - there is no one that you have to game plan for but the team is no push over and even with all the injuries there was no quit in the team ( I think that was the difference between us and the Giants- they quit by mid season and were fighting themselves rather than everyone else) 

I agree its a feisty team or at least it can be at times.   And as I said I am not down on the team, I just want to see the movie play out before counting my chickens especially on defense.  Because the narrative of hey our defense stunk last year but this year it will be all better because of this or that move -- that's not a new narrative. 

The way I see their off season on defense specifically is they upgraded on the D line and downgraded the secondary.    And yeah hopefully more guys are healthy this time.  Can I see that translate as to the defense finally turning the corner?  Sure.  Do I see that as in the bank?  No.  I've noticed most national pundit types, draft geek evaluators etc. are still unimpressed with this roster -- if anything most of them think the team will take a step back next season let alone a step forward.  Will see who is right.  Like I said I am agnostic on it, I can be convinced either way -- but I lean optimism and knowing me I'll become more optimistic post training camp.   

@Skinsinparadise Yeah i am on the fence too but I typically go into the season thinking I generally have my optimistic  hope for an 8-8 season (because from there you have a shot) . I am not too hung up about winning 12 + games in the regular season because a Superbowl Victory where you were the final wildcard team counts just the same as as if you where 14-2  (or 16-0 just ask the giants and the patriots) - which is why I am less concerned about how we get to the playoffs just that we progress enough to get there. 

I actually prefer it when national pundits discount us in June - It kind of give the team energy and makes the wins all the more satisfying - Like in 2015 when people dismissed us (even in December) or the King 4-12 gloating predition. 

I guess they can be right - I just don't think we have lost enough - or indeed others have gained enough (especially in the division - i can see the Giants being a force - i think they did JUST enough to fix their offensive line - and were right to move on from Magoo and Jerry Reese('s pieces)  (which i kind of know wrong but i cannot think of the coaches name)  = and  the cowboys are errr ... err ... well Eliot is going to have to do A LOT this season to make up for the loss of what they lost on offense and defense they still need to convince me- but i just dont see us going   5-11 or worse ( unless decimated by injury again)  rto get us a top 10 (or indeed top 5 or top overall pick - as i have seen) .. 

One thing that strikes me is we are seen as an easy target - people who don't follow the team expect us to be terrible - i mean browns level of terrible - we are not - I agree with you - it is wise to wait and actually see what pans out at mini camp - then training camp - but to me 8-8 is not unreasonable - when it comes to expectation i think the best advice and the one remnant of the Zorn eara - stay medium -Hail :)  

10 hours ago, bedlamVR said:

@Skinsinparadise Yeah i am on the fence too but I typically go into the season thinking I generally have my optimistic  hope for an 8-8 season (because from there you have a shot) . I am not too hung up about winning 12 + games in the regular season because a Superbowl Victory where you were the final wildcard team counts just the same as as if you where 14-2  (or 16-0 just ask the giants and the patriots) - which is why I am less concerned about how we get to the playoffs just that we progress enough to get there. 

Yeah I don't care either how they make the playoffs as long as they do.  It's not going to be easy because the NFC is stacked.

10 hours ago, bedlamVR said:

One thing that strikes me is we are seen as an easy target - people who don't follow the team expect us to be terrible - i mean browns level of terrible - we are not - I agree with you - it is wise to wait and actually see what pans out at mini camp - then training camp - but to me 8-8 is not unreasonable - when it comes to expectation i think the best advice and the one remnant of the Zorn eara - stay medium -Hail :)  

Yeah the national magazines/shows typically don't give the Redskins love.  But it caught my attention that pretty much every draft geek including a couple I respect who I know from other segments aren't Redskin haters -- are unimpressed with this roster, still.

Every team has their narratives for why their rosters will work out.  For example, our version of heck maybe 7th rounder, Holsey, will be that stud nickel CB and we won't miss a beat with Fuller gone. Or no new LG, no big deal.  Or Sprinkle will develop into that blocking TE we need.  Or whatever.  Other teams have those type of stories too and with an optimistic bent.   As fans of the Redskins we see this stuff working out.  And it might.  But it also might not.

But for national guys not showing the love with an occasional exception, I'll give my most pessimistic take just to drive the point home.  They don't have one ground breaking WR.  Their best player on offense, Jordan Reed is always hurt.  They haven't proven that they can run the ball for years.  Their defense has been bad for years and we liked Breeland and Fuller -- so now hey are gone and replaced with a 7th rounder and UDFA and they won't miss a beat?  They did really nothing in FA to upgrade the defense.  So somehow Da'Ron Payne single handily is going to make up for the downgrades at the secondary but also take the defense up a couple of notches all in one fell swoop? 

We know they had injuries but since when are players coming off of bad injuries the type that are less as opposed to more likely to get hurt again or come back 100%?  The Giants are coming off of bad injuries too but they went nuts in both FA and the draft (with high picks) to fill in those holes.  The Giants arguably got the best LT in FA, the best guard in the draft and the best RB -- talk about upgrading.  The Cowboys played much of the season without Elliot.  And the Eagles who already had the best D line in the division arguably did more to add to their strength at that spot than any other team in the division.

I am not saying I buy that narrative but its not hard to create a narrative that the Redskins are the weakest team in that division let alone they will fight for the playoffs.  Hence I think you got all these draft geeks expecting them to have a top 10 pick in 2019, one even had them with a top 5 pick. 

As for what I personally think?  Its hard for me to have an easy read on it.  I think Keim said it well recently as the Redskins being the "What If" team. It's hard to anticipate the what if stuff for better or worse. If I had to pick a record right now, I'd go 9-7.   My #1 reason for optimism is the run game/Guice.  And while I don't think Alex is an upgrade over Kirk -- I do think his style of play enhances the run game.  So what I am most jazzed about is seeing how Jay's play calling, Alex and Guice interact.  And i am bigger Richardson fan than most. 

As for the defense, I have a hard time landing on a position.  It worries me that Scandrick was getting the reps at both outside corner and nickel in OTAs.  Personally I think Scandrick is a distinct downgrade over Breeland.  And Fuller was PFF's top rated slot CB last year -- you almost have to think anyone in that spot will be a downgrade.  Do I think Payne fixes all by having a true nose for once?  Nope.  But I like having a nose.  To me the wild card is Nicholson. If he's healthy, I can see the defensive upgrade because that allows Swearinger to play closer to the line of scrimmage among other things. 

5 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah the national magazines/shows typically don't give the Redskins love.  But it caught my attention that pretty much every draft geek including a couple I respect who I know from other segments aren't Redskin haters -- are unimpressed with this roster, still.

You seem to put a lot of stock in what the pundits have to say SIP. I'm not saying they are guaranteed to be wrong, but it seems like lazy analysis and group think. They have been wrong enough in my life for me to know to not put any stock in off-season predictions. Even the years they think we will actually be halfway decent we suck lol. Means Squat.

Every team has their narratives for why their rosters will work out.  For example, our version of heck maybe 7th rounder, Holsey, will be that stud nickel CB and we won't miss a beat with Fuller gone. Or no new LG, no big deal.  Or Sprinkle will develop into that blocking TE we need.  Or whatever.  Other teams have those type of stories too and with an optimistic bent.   As fans of the Redskins we see this stuff working out.  And it might.  But it also might not.

I think the fact you say "or whatever" after slot CB, LG, and blocking TE is pretty indicative of the type of roster we have. How many years would we go into the season with holes all over the roster? A lot in my mind. We used to rely on Golstons and washed up Bowens on the DL. And Doughtys and Madoodoo in the secondary. Jason Fabinis on the OL. Jabar Gaffneys at WR. Beck/Grossman at QB. These are just examples but we used to go into every season with gaping holes. Spread throughout the roster. With no hope of a young draft pick stepping up even, because we either traded all of our picks or drafted garbage lol.

But for national guys not showing the love with an occasional exception, I'll give my most pessimistic take just to drive the point home.  They don't have one ground breaking WR.  Their best player on offense, Jordan Reed is always hurt.  They haven't proven that they can run the ball for years.  Their defense has been bad for years and we liked Breeland and Fuller -- so now hey are gone and replaced with a 7th rounder and UDFA and they won't miss a beat?  They did really nothing in FA to upgrade the defense.  So somehow Da'Ron Payne single handily is going to make up for the downgrades at the secondary but also take the defense up a couple of notches all in one fell swoop? 

I get being cautious I really do. We aren't guaranteed to be a good team, I get that. There are some moving parts and unknowns, though as you already acknowledged, that's the case for most every team across the league. I just don't see how anyone with eyes who has actually watched the different teams and rosters over the years could reasonably say this isn't the most talented we have been in a long, long time. It's not as simple as add Payne, subtract Fuller and Breeland. Did you not see the defense early in the year last year? Or did you tune in only from the 4th quarter in the Saints game on lol. We were legit on defense before Allen went down. And Ioannidis. And Brown. And Foster. And Norman for stretches. And Nicholson. Injuries happen to every team. But not like that. Coincidence that the defense dropped off once the entire spine of the defense dropped like flies? Probably not. And it's much more likely we regress to the mean this year injury wise. We probably take a step back in the slot this year. But Moreau and Dubar are more than capable of taking over for Bree, and I don't think it's long before we are talking about Moreau as being an up and coming stud and forget who Breeland even is. Buy yes, a stronger DL and more luck in the injury department gives me faith the defense will be just fine. Who did the Eagles have at corner last year after Darby went down? Patrick Robinson? You win up front. And we have the potential to do that this year. Allen, Ioan, Payne, Kerrigan, Smith, Brown, and Foster is nothing to scoff at. I think a lot of teams would love to have that front 7. Masks a lot of weaknesses.

Hoping to see the Skins play like they did in this video for the upcoming season...

Gotta imagine Allen, Payne, Ioannidis start to play as well as Griffin, Salalve'a, Wynn and Daniels...

Gotta imagine Portis as Guice as you watch the video, and Betts as Perrine...

Gotta hope Zach Brown is as good as Marcus Washington...

And we know Reed is heads and shoulders above Cooley (when actually playing lol)...

Not too many blue-chip players on that Skins team but they played incredibly well together down the stretch.

20 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Feel free to not care about Dan the person and praise his ability to make a lot of bad decisions and attribute that to being a leader.

But this whole schtick where everyone is a sheep for believing the very long list of Dan’s shortcomings, failures, etc. and you’re on some higher level of understanding is just not a really good look for you.

Sometimes it’s better just to take your L and move on.

This is an excellent come back. Not sure where @joeken24 comes off being so critical of others for believing what is common knowledge.  Joe is not on some higher level of understanding, he simply chooses to ignore all the evidence and form his opinion. That's fine, he's entitled to his opinion but that does not make him right. The name calling and criticism he is demonstrating  to those of us not interested in taking this approach is unnecessary 

24 minutes ago, HardcoreZorn said:

You seem to put a lot of stock in what the pundits have to say SIP. I'm not saying they are guaranteed to be wrong, but it seems like lazy analysis and group think.

Nope I actually don't.  If you read my posts on this more carefully including how I explained my own predictions are typically different from the national guys including even this year-- you'll realize that your point here is wildly off.   There was specific nuance to how I made the point.  The only play with the national media with me was I said I can't make fun of their recurring pessimism about the team's defense anymore.  I've noted they are still at it on that front again this year.  I am personally agnostic about the defense.  I can go either way on it.  I got more optimism about the offense. 

25 minutes ago, HardcoreZorn said:

I get being cautious I really do. We aren't guaranteed to be a good team, I get that. There are some moving parts and unknowns, though as you already acknowledged, that's the case for most every team across the league. I just don't see how anyone with eyes who has actually watched the different teams and rosters over the years could reasonably say this isn't the most talented we have been in a long, long time. It's not as simple as add Payne, subtract Fuller and Breeland. Did you not see the defense early in the year last year? Or did you tune in only from the 4th quarter in the Saints game on lol.

I follow your mindset.    I follow your point that they have less holes and less scrubs than the past.  True.  But to me when I compare this roster to others in the NFL, I am not thinking wow.  At least not yet.  I like the roster.  I don't love it.  Could I love it?  Sure.  But certain unknown variables would have to come in play and work out.  Am I pessimistic on that front?  Not at all.  But I just don't know.  I need to see it. 

I'll take the Redskins out of this to explain my mindset.  Many of the NY papers for example think the Giants killed it in the off season.   The story there is they think they have one of the best LTs now in the league.  They got a beast at LG.  They might have a RB who is even better than Elliot.   Their main weakness was at MLB but now they have Ogletree.   Beckham is back.  Like the Redskins they had a ton of injuries last year.  They basically lost their whole starting WR lineup.  Now they are all back and that roster is mega fortified. 

So who are the Giants?  The 2016 version of the team who went 11-5?  That has to be the real version right since the 2017 version was banged up?  But heck, its even more exciting to see it this way:  unlike the 2016 version of the Giants, they have the makings of an awesome run game. So they are better than that 11-5 team.  Their weakness is now a strength.  You got Beckham in his contract year.  Eli will finally have the protection he needs.  A less banged up Landon Collins should have a comeback year.  MLB is upgraded.   They got two beasts up the middle with Snacks and Tomlinson.  And heck they just loaded up the D line Eagles style with McIntosh and Hill from the draft.  And added Carter to the pass rush.  Heck no wonder draft geek after draft geek continue to put the Giants as the team with the best off season or at least as one of the top 5?  It's justified.  

Some Giant fans including ones I know (most of my in laws) see it with this style of rosy color glasses.  Are they right?  You got me.  I don't know.  The positive scenario is plausible.  But so is this:  Eli stunk last year.  What if his issue wasn't their inability to protect him or failure to run a balanced offense -- but the problem really was him?  He's not getting younger.   With DRC gone what if Eli Apples stinks at corner?  Ogletree has been up and down -- what if they get the down version of the dude?  What if Beckham isn't the old Beckham coming off that injury?  What if Barkley is just another overhyped Penn State RB who ends up a bust?  

I can play this same game with our roster.  I know the upbeat Redskins narrative.  Hey they stopped the run with Jonathan Allen and Mason Foster were healthy.  You got them both back now and then you add Payne up the middle.  Dunbar has potential might be as good as Breeland if not maybe that guy is Moreau. So we are covered either way.  Holsey is a feisty nickel CB who dropped in the draft only because of injury.  Heck if he doesn't have it then we got Scandrick.  Ionnaidis keeps developing.  Lanier keeps developing.  Preston Smith potentially on a contract year.  Nicholson back healthy could emerge as one of the better free safeties in the league. All that young talent -- who can stop that unit or at a minimum they should be at least good?

And then I can circle those points in another direction.  Like I said in a recent post, I've been disappointed too many times after "promising" off seasons relating to the defense to just bank on it all coming together.  But as I said in that same post, I'd lean on optimism because that's my nature when it comes to the roster.    But my optimism is more centered on offense because that over the years tends to come together.  The defense I've been let down on too many times to just assume it all works out.  Thus, I am agnostic on the defense.  I am not an optimist on it.  Not a pessimist either. 

1 hour ago, Califan007 said:

Hoping to see the Skins play like they did in this video for the upcoming season...

Gotta imagine Allen, Payne, Ioannidis start to play as well as Griffin, Salalve'a, Wynn and Daniels...

And we know Reed is heads and shoulders above Cooley (when actually playing lol)...

Not too many blue-chip players on that Skins team but they played incredibly well together down the stretch.

Fun memories.  The 2005 defense was really good -- talk about a roster turnaround that started in 2014 FA -- that one was Vinny's shinning moment.  Only moment? :(

Marcus Washington, C. Griffin, S. Springs. Back to back top 10 defenses in 2004 and 2005. 

I can easily imagine Guice as Portis.  :D

Zach versus Marcus -- tough call. 

Cooley >>>>>>>>>>>>>Reed for durability reasons alone. 

Maybe I need Gregg Williams back here for an infusion of confidence about the unit.  I know not everyone loves the dude here.  I don't think any coordinator is a magician.  But I trusted Gregg's ability to scheme it up and get his players to play with emotion better than any coordinator we've had since on that side of the ball.   I like Manusky, though.  Am not down on him.  But there was something about Gregg's style that bred more confidence with me in that unit. 

9 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I thought this was a thread about Daniel Snyder.  Why are we discussing rosters etc?  

We've gone a bit off topic.  Good point.  I'll try to circle back from here on.  The way it got to be about rosters is the idea that under Dan they've build something really good here of late. So give him his due for that. 

That led to a discussion about whether it really is that good or not.  

I think part of the debate I noticed about Bruce or Dan centers on variations of this point with some of the defenders of both dudes bringing up a variation of hey the soup is really good -- so why should you care who did what if the soup is that good?  Then that delves into a conversation about the actual soup = roster. 

On 5/21/2018 at 8:18 PM, joeken24 said:

Haters hate. Its what they do. A thread about Bruce or Dan will always have the same set of haters chime in. You provided reasonable information. I appreciate that. But still.....haters always have something bad to say. They never take their mothers advice about that ****.

Ya see, haters generally become haters through unfounded news feeds, WP propaganda, other baseless reports (like Peter King's sorry ass) and emotion. Basically sheep think. Never any real facts. Haters don't care about facts. Its better to simply hate, right?

Its good to see a person actually take a good hard look at things. I, like you, had my issues with how the team was going a few years back. But for me, I was never one to really get that far in the weeds about what goes on in an office I've never been in. Its always been about what happens on Sundays for me. I've got enough bull**** going on in my own office than to be worried about that ****. Notwithstanding, I took a good hard look. I see better players, better stability, no ****ed up contracts, no leaks (other than that AJ Francis ****), and for the first time and no QB controversy going into next year (unless the haters want to keep the Kirk **** going). Nice and quiet (except for the haters). 

They hate!! Its what they do....

Good Post!!!

42CE844D-AF94-49B1-9841-8C968846CBE9.gif

4 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Fun memories.  The 2005 defense was really good -- talk about a roster turnaround that started in 2014 FA -- that one was Vinny's shinning moment.  Only moment? :(

Marcus Washington, C. Griffin, S. Springs. Back to back top 10 defenses in 2004 and 2005. 

I would never in a million years give vinny that credit.  He was a glorified scout under Gibbs, but that roster belonged to Gibbs all the way.  Gibbs was always known for being a collaborator and facilitator.  He basically asked gregg williams who from around the league he wanted

As soon as Gibbs left, Vinny traded a first for Jason Taylor and signed lardass for $100 mil

16 minutes ago, zoony said:

I would never in a million years give vinny that credit.  He was a glorified scout under Gibbs, but that roster belonged to Gibbs all the way.  Gibbs was always known for being a collaborator and facilitator.  He basically asked gregg williams who from around the league he wanted

As soon as Gibbs left, Vinny traded a first for Jason Taylor and signed lardass for $100 mil

And proceeded to draft Sleepy, Dopey and Brittle in the 2nd round...

I won't go overboard but I can see your point. For me the best thing he did was remove himself from the spotlight. He didn't have the hardware or resume to be front and center like Jurrah Jones or Bob Craft. Second was canning Vinnie and bringing in actual NFL experienced personnel. While it is sad to say, but this is the most stability this team has seen under his ownership. No one likes every team's FO decisions. But our time as F/A SB winners has ended. Outrageous contacts on over the hill has beens or playing them out of position. I'm not giving him any trophies. Just acknowledging the steps forward in the right direction.

I agree with the OP, Dan is a good owner. There are rumours that he is still involved in running the redskins. If they are true, then he is not a good owner but a liar of an owner. His fault is he is too much of a fan that he has his own ideas of improving the team instead of trusting his well qualified FO he hired to bring this team back to respectability.

8 hours ago, SamoaSkinz said:

I agree with the OP, Dan is a good owner.

This is based on what exactly?   Being not as bad as he used to be is a far cry from actually being a good owner.  Good owners win, he does not.   Good owners hire the right people to rebuild a team, see the team up 95 as an example of a good owner.  Daniel Snyder has done none of this.  End of story.

10 hours ago, zoony said:

I can see that, sure.  That was definitely the off season highlight during the Gibbs 2 era that first FA crop.  Maybe that made them overconfident because then it went mostly awry off season wise.  But that off season showed you can fish in deep end of the pool of FA and actually be successful.  Other teams like Jax, Denver have gone high end in FA and basically helped turned their teams around.  The Giants basically did the same thing or close enough in 2016 we did in 2004 and turned a bad defense around just like that -- big time corner, DT, and edge guy. 

Some have come to accept that because Vinny-Dan were mostly incompetent fishing for the big names in FA that the approach simply doesn't work.  And lets celebrate when we don't even try to do that now in FA as if its some major culture change to celebrate.   I've never got that.  A lot of their FA mishaps in the past you can see coming a mile away. 

The Haynesworth move for example -- yeah the dude already had a rep for being lazy, there was already a rap about him maybe taking the money and run.  Archuletta was never a free safety type and not a pro bowler.  Randle El was mostly a gadget player not a legit #2 receiver.  Grabbing veterans at the tail end of their career.  On and on and on.   London Fletcher as an example was an animal/leader/high character guy in his different stints -- shocker he worked out?  I don't think so.  Ditto guys like Randy Thomas.  Smart teams can still get good players in FA.  Yeah you don't want to build your team primarily that way but you don't have to be fearful to shop the higher end lot of the aisle. 

9 hours ago, Califan007 said:

And proceeded to draft Sleepy, Dopey and Brittle in the 2nd round...

What pains me the most is they skipped Calais Campbell to draft those guys.  Campbell was the defensive player of the year if I recall last year.  Our guys from that draft long gone.   And Campbell wasn't some obscure/dark horse player.  He was a big name that unexpectedly dropped. 

It also came out later that the Redskins scouts wanted Jordy Nelson.  It was Dan/Vinny who fell in love with M. Kelly.   If so, wow.  

48 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

What pains me the most is they skipped Calais Campbell to draft those guys.  Campbell was the defensive player of the year if I recall last year.  Our guys from that draft long gone.   And Campbell wasn't some obscure/dark horse player.  He was a big name that unexpectedly dropped. 

It also came out later that the Redskins scouts wanted Jordy Nelson.  It was Dan/Vinny who fell in love with M. Kelly.   If so, wow.  

I still can't get over that draft. I loved having 3 high second round picks. I'd give up my 1st  every year to have that situation.   How they whiffed on all 3 is incredibly frustrating.  

17 hours ago, Califan007 said:

Speaking of massive reaches Betts? Hope you are just talking about 1 game. Guy was rated as a 6th rounder we took him in the 2d and he performed about how he was rated.

18 hours ago, Califan007 said:

Not too many blue-chip players on that Skins team but they played incredibly well together down the stretch

Thanks for sharing! LOL moment at 6:17 when Washington celebrates sacking Bledsoe by slapping the referee on the ass. I kid you not. LOFL

4 hours ago, nonniey said:

Speaking of massive reaches Betts? Hope you are just talking about 1 game. Guy was rated as a 6th rounder we took him in the 2d and he performed about how he was rated.

Betts had over 1,100 yards in 2006 when he took over for an injured Portis. He finished the season with 5 straight 100+ yard games: 104, 155, 171, 119 and 129 yds in those games. Would have been 6 straight but ended up getting 92 yards in the last game of the season. 

There was one guy here who absolutely wanted Campbell and was ranting for months that we passed on him. It was one of the few times one of his diatribes turned out to be correct lol...

The Haynesworth move for example -- yeah the dude already had a rep for being lazy, there was already a rap about him maybe taking the money and run. 

My in laws are huge titans fans.  When it was clear he would be a FA i asked my father in law what he thought.  He told me that AH was lazy and underachieved, and only played well when he felt like it (i.e. contract year).  Most all titans fans did not want him, certainly for nowhere near the money he was looking for.

So ask yourself why fans have better personnel opinions than the redskins.  Its insane.  Literally 30 minutes of film study on AH would tell you that.  Didnt we oitbid Tampa?  And wasnt Bruce in Tampa at that time?  :rofl89:

Ugh if it werent so funny it would be sad.  Or the other way around works too

9 hours ago, Califan007 said:

There was one guy here who absolutely wanted Campbell and was ranting for months that we passed on him. It was one of the few times one of his diatribes turned out to be correct lol...

What do you mean on of the few times? - I'm almost always correct.

Archived