Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Vaya Con Dios, Manny! The plight of the 2018 Orioles

Spaceman Spiff

Tillman's miracle start last time out was just that. He has just killed the bullpen yet again. The sooner they start making changes, the better. Get the young guys up getting experience. Tillman will probably get more starts but he really shouldn't. 

1 minute ago, Hersh said:

Tillman's miracle start last time out was just that. He has just killed the bullpen yet again. The sooner they start making changes, the better. Get the young guys up getting experience. Tillman will probably get more starts but he really shouldn't. 

I'm 50/50 on this.  Part of me wants to get the young guys up and getting experience, part of me also doesn't want to start the service clock on them now, either.

Just now, Spaceman Spiff said:

I'm 50/50 on this.  Part of me wants to get the young guys up and getting experience, part of me also doesn't want to start the service clock on them now, either.

I'm not worried about 6-7 years from now. They don't all have to come up now, but I'd get Akin into Tillman's spot and Dosch starting at 3rd while saying bye to Valencia. I'd also make sure every team knows that we are listening now on Manny. 

BTW, another no-hit alert against the O's going into the 6th. Very happy not to be watching. 

15 minutes ago, Hersh said:

I'm not worried about 6-7 years from now. They don't all have to come up now, but I'd get Akin into Tillman's spot and Dosch starting at 3rd while saying bye to Valencia. I'd also make sure every team knows that we are listening now on Manny. 

BTW, another no-hit alert against the O's going into the 6th. Very happy not to be watching. 

They will get no hit this year.

Also, I bet Pujols gets 3k tonite.

I am pissed that I can't watch.  I'd like to get more fired up than I already am.

20 minutes ago, pjfootballer said:

This is not Buck’s fault, but it worries me that he’ll be the fall guy.

It is a little bit, he's fought for some of these guys to remain on the roster.  IIRC, he was a big proponent of bringing Davis back (I think I was too :kickcan:) also Tillman.  

Now, it's not like Tillman is on the roster at the expense of a pitcher who can be leaps and bounds better.  Mike Wright is a crappy option.

The blame to me lies first at the feet of PA then DD then Buck. PA is the reason the O's negotiated against themselves for Chris Davis. (It's actually possible CD finally understands he has to hit the ball to left as I believe he's made an adjustment with his hands). DD is to blame for signing Trumbo. They didn't trust that they had a clear option in Mancini who had proven himself at every level including when he made his debut. It's on PA for not letting the team be sellers in the past. It's on Buck for not playing some small ball. It's on the organization for not giving 4 year deals to Markakis or Cruz. 

53 minutes ago, Hersh said:

The blame to me lies first at the feet of PA then DD then Buck. PA is the reason the O's negotiated against themselves for Chris Davis. (It's actually possible CD finally understands he has to hit the ball to left as I believe he's made an adjustment with his hands). DD is to blame for signing Trumbo. They didn't trust that they had a clear option in Mancini who had proven himself at every level including when he made his debut. It's on PA for not letting the team be sellers in the past. It's on Buck for not playing some small ball. It's on the organization for not giving 4 year deals to Markakis or Cruz. 

Buck can't play small ball with this team.  That'd be like taking your moms minivan to the track to race.

3 hours ago, Bang said:

Currently racing to the bottom of the Majors with the Reds. Worst run diff by far.

~Ugh

I would have to look and see but I think we pay significantly more to be just as ****ty.  In my mind, that makes us ****tier.  It's understandable to lose like this when you've got a roster made up of nobodies.  But when your payroll is like 160 million and bloated and you haven't done anything for the past two years to prevent this from happening...well, it's way worse, IMO.

31 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Buck can't play small ball with this team.  That'd be like taking your moms minivan to the track to race.

Sure you can with the bottom of the order. None of those guys should be above bunting to put a runner in scoring position for Mancini and the top of the order.

If the 7th or 8th batter leads off an inning and gets on base, bunt them to second.

Oh, and every lefty that faces the shift should be required to bunt every 2 or 3 games.

4 minutes ago, Hersh said:

Sure you can with the bottom of the order. None of those guys should be above bunting to put a runner in scoring position for Mancini and the top of the order.

If the 7th or 8th batter leads off an inning and gets on base, bunt them to second.

Oh, and every lefty that faces the shift should be required to bunt every 2 or 3 games.

These guys can't ****ing bunt.  They can't get on base, which, I have said ad nauseam, is the biggest issue with this offense.  They can't do **** except swing from their heels at everything.  

At this point, we're looking at a 4-5 year rebuild process.  I don't think anyone whose not a prospect should be off the trading block, and that includes Bundy and Schoop.  Because by the time we are able to compete again, they will be FAs anyway. 

11 minutes ago, DCSaints_fan said:

At this point, we're looking at a 4-5 year rebuild process.  I don't think anyone whose not a prospect should be off the trading block, and that includes Bundy and Schoop.  Because by the time we are able to compete again, they will be FAs anyway. 

Why would it be 4-5 years? The cupboard isn’t bare. 

24 minutes ago, DCSaints_fan said:

Isn't it though?  What do you see our lineup looking like in 3 years with mostly players already in the organization? 

I think in 3 years we'll have Mullins, Cisco and Hays and a bunch of other guys that aren't on our radar now.  I have a feeling that, as usual, we are overrating and over valuing what we have in our minors.  Not an Acuna in the bunch.

31 minutes ago, DCSaints_fan said:

Isn't it though?  What do you see our lineup looking like in 3 years with mostly players already in the organization? 

Pitching. I'm pretty happy with the pitching depth from the last two drafts. O's have some really solid prospects that need a couple years to shake out. 

Over 2018-2019: I think Harvey and Akin are the next two starters that have a good chance of being productive starters for the O's. Akin will be this season, maybe soon. Harvey shouldn't be up until September. If they represent themselves well, it would put the O's in a position to deal Gausman in the off-season. Tanner Scott should be up in the bullpen now. Branden Kline is back and looks like a solid bullpen prospect. So the pitching is set up pretty good for a couple years which will allow the group of starters at Delmarva to not be rushed. Those are the guys we will see in 3 years. So for this year and next:

Potential starters- Bundy, Gausman, Cobb, Cashner, Akin and Harvey. Hess is maybe a number 5 starter. 

Potential Bullpen Arms- Bleier, Castro, O'Day, Givens, Arauja, Scott and Hart. 

Infield/DH: I think Sisco, who is up now of course, will be a good catcher. He seems to be doing a good job throwing out runners. The tough part for him is that he isn't surrounded by good hitters to give him a little protection as a rookie. We know Davis will still be in the infield for at last a couple more seasons or at DH. I'd love to see Mancini either at first or at the DH spot. The infield prospects outside of Mountcastle are slim pickings. It's essentially the O's land a high quality left side prospect in the Manny trade. I'd also like to see the O's commit to drafting the best college 2B/SS/3rd base prospects in the first couple rounds so long as they aren't major reaches. I'd also give a marginal prospect like Drew Dosch playing time at 3rd now. He's 25, gone through every level. Hit decently at Norfolk which is tough to do. Might as well find out if he can contribute. 

The real key for the infield is Schoop. I would put a big 5 year contract extension in front of him now. He has until the off-season to sign or you look to trade him for some really good prospects. AND you allow teams to negotiate an extension with him if it will bring back a better return. 

Outfield: Hays, Mullins, Stewart, Rifaela, Santander, maybe a couple others. Gotta figure 2 of them will work out in some capacity. 

Take all this, supplement it with this season's draft, prospects in a trade for Manny and potentially for Britton and the O's payroll will be relatively low.  

30 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Not an Acuna in the bunch.

It would be nice to see the O's use the international signing slots for international players. PA is an idiot for not allowing it. 

1 minute ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I'd rather watch Matt Harvey instead of Tillman or Wright.  

I don't want to see any of the 3. It continues to baffle me that Wright is on this team still. Tillman too, but at least Tillman had some sort of track record. 

Archived