Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Greatest American Athlete

PleaseBlitz

32 minutes ago, mcsluggo said:

I think that Jim Brown wins out, easily.... because of longevity.    But your look at stats without ANY context  .... is just plain simple-headed.

in his rookie season, Bo Jackson only ran for 554 yards, and 6 touchdowns... because he only started 5 games, because he had committed to baseball first (he averaged nearly 7 yards a carry... which was obscene).

in his second year he again joined the team mid-season because of baseball, and started 9 games, and ran for 950 yards (5.5 yards per carry)  

etc...etc.. etc...    

he never played full seasons.  he always came in the middle of the season AFTER playing a full grueling season of baseball, with NO football training camp or football oriented training at all... and totally dominated.    

but yeah.. he had a freak injury, that cut short his career...like poof.    

but looking at stats ALONE, and pretending like that tells the actual story....... is just babyish   

Brown is at a major disadvantage because his era did not produce as much media content.  And I'm not looking at stats alone, but they are obviously helpful in comparing players across eras   Much better than your tactic of "DUR, he dominated because I'm telling you" and making excuses for why he didn't actually do more.  Brown also played half of his career in an era where the season was only 12 games long.  

So, to your point, Bo only played 9 games in his best season, ran for 950 yards (5.5/per carry, 105yds/game) and 4 TDs.

Brown's best season:  Only played 12 games.  1527 yards (5.9/per carry, 127 yds/game) and 17 TDs.

This is not close. 

5a85cb34aa483_AlBundy.jpg.2a6e1bbe338350c75dad378fcb811e61.jpg

3 hours ago, gbear said:

I know we as a society tend to think male athletes first, but I think Serena Williams has a good claim for this after dominating her sport for the past 15 years.  She was first ranked number 1 in 2002.  That's a crazy long time to be at the top of a professional sport.

In all seriousness, this is probably the right answer.  Women's Tennis is a fairly mature sport too, with great competitors around the world- so you can't make the claim that she's only great because of the few women who play the game.

Yup, real ****.

https://web.archive.org/web/20071114205622/http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/olympics/2004/08/08/bc.olympics.athletics.thorpe/

Thorpe was extravagantly gifted at every sport he tried. He earned letters in 11 sports at the small university of Carlisle and even won the 1912 inter-collegiate ballroom dancing championship.

24 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Brown is at a major disadvantage because his era did not produce as much media content.  And I'm not looking at stats alone, but they are obviously helpful in comparing players across eras   Much better than your tactic of "DUR, he dominated because I'm telling you" and making excuses for why he didn't actually do more.  Brown also played half of his career in an era where the season was only 12 games long.  

So, to your point, Bo only played 9 games in his best season, ran for 950 yards (5.5/per carry, 105yds/game) and 4 TDs.

Brown's best season:  Only played 12 games.  1527 yards (5.9/per carry, 127 yds/game) and 17 TDs.

This is not close. 

missedthepoint.gif

did you even read the post?

22 minutes ago, balki1867 said:

In all seriousness, this is probably the right answer.  Women's Tennis is a fairly mature sport too, with great competitors around the world- so you can't make the claim that she's only great because of the few women who play the game.

To clarify, laughing about Bundy (though those touchdowns he through in college were mighty impressive!) 

Williams is most certainly one of the greatest athletes of all time. Incredibly dominant and without her and her sister, USA Tennis would have stopped being relevant a long, long time ago.

2 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Yes, I read your post.  You said don't talk about stats, then talked about stats.  :ols:  Then made excuses.  As far as what your point was....¯\_(ツ)_/¯

to summarize:

Jim brown easily beats out Bo Jackson in a discussion of greatest... but trying to encapsulate Bo Jackson by looking at season-level stats is foolhardy.   

I don't know how one measures athleticism.  There are probably some rock climbers out there no ones ever heard of that are shockingly agile and strong.  There aren't too many people on this planet can race up a vertical rock wall.  What about endurance?  Is it more impressive to run really fast over a short distance, or run further than everyone else?  Same question for swimming?  

Its hard to say what athletic feats are greater than others.  

We also live in a time of specialization and risk management.  Who is to say what olympic event Russell Westbrook might be able to compete in, if he tried?  His team would probably panic if he did, and his contract wouldn't allow it.  When young athletes show they've got whatever genetic magic it takes to have be considered a great prospect, they tend to specialize at a young age.  There are fewer stories these days of star athletes choosing a sport in college or high school.  By the time they get a say, they're usually locked in to something.  

Theres only one way to solve this.  We must gather the greatest athletes from every sport and force them to complete various challenges.  They must compete in every game of both summer and winter Olympics.  Then climb a mountain.  Then complete the hardest Ninja Warrior course.  Then swim some great distance and, I don't know, wrestle a bear or something.  Only then will we know.

There is some serious undervaluing of Bo Jackson going on. Heisman Trophy winner, drafted number 1 overall, made it to MLB after about half a season in the minors, was an all-star and pro bowler and was a track athlete in college. 

Not saying he is the greatest, just that those dismissing him outright are a bit off the mark. 

1 hour ago, Destino said:

don't know how one measures athleticism.  There are probably some rock climbers out there no ones ever heard of that are shockingly agile and strong.  There aren't too many people on this planet can race up a vertical rock wall.

I know this.  Tiny dudes always have the advantage.  Heighth and weight is a such a disadvantage in everything except a coiple of sports, its amazing that evolution even allowed tall people

A. Who cares about lacrosse? Lol

B. Being drafted  by the Yankees could have simply been a publicity stunt.

C. Greatest athlete is kind of a silly term. Catching a ball etc isn't a necessary life skill. It's meaningless fluff. 

T.v makes stupid things more important  than they really are. Jim Brown was just another  jock. He wasn't important in life/world history. No jock is.

( is someone now going to get upset  and accuse me of making fun of them because  I have a well rounded world view that they don't

Like?)...have a sense of humor and a more liberal outlook..sigh))) :)

1 hour ago, Destino said:

I don't know how one measures athleticism.  There are probably some rock climbers out there no ones ever heard of that are shockingly agile and strong.  There aren't too many people on this planet can race up a vertical rock wall.  What about endurance?  Is it more impressive to run really fast over a short distance, or run further than everyone else?  Same question for swimming?  

Its hard to say what athletic feats are greater than others.  

We also live in a time of specialization and risk management.  Who is to say what olympic event Russell Westbrook might be able to compete in, if he tried?  His team would probably panic if he did, and his contract wouldn't allow it.  When young athletes show they've got whatever genetic magic it takes to have be considered a great prospect, they tend to specialize at a young age.  There are fewer stories these days of star athletes choosing a sport in college or high school.  By the time they get a say, they're usually locked in to something.  

Theres only one way to solve this.  We must gather the greatest athletes from every sports and force them to complete various challenges.  They must compete in every game of both summer and winter Olympics.  Then climb a mountain.  Then complete the hardest Ninja Warrior course.  Then swim some great distance and, I don't know, wrestle a bear or something.  Only then will we know.

thats too complicated.

a gladiator death tourney is much more efficient and decisive.  There can be only one. 

1 hour ago, Hersh said:

There is some serious undervaluing of Bo Jackson going on. Heisman Trophy winner, drafted number 1 overall, made it to MLB after about half a season in the minors, was an all-star and pro bowler and was a track athlete in college. 

Not saying he is the greatest, just that those dismissing him outright are a bit off the mark. 

wasn't he drafted #1 overall in BOTH Football AND Baseball?   

38 minutes ago, zoony said:

I know this.  Tiny dudes always have the advantage.  Heighth and weight is a such a disadvantage in everything except a coiple of sports, its amazing that evolution even allowed tall people

1 minute ago, thinwhiteduke said:

Or they've been conditioned to....

ok... now we know two short dudes in this gene pool :)

29 minutes ago, mcsluggo said:

wasn't he drafted #1 overall in BOTH Football AND Baseball?   

ok... now we know two short dudes in this gene pool :)

I'm 6'1", thank you :)

22 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

Ok, then...Wayne Gretsky is the greatest North American athlete. :chair:

He played on 2 or 3 U.S teams though.so he's  covered

Air Bud is the greatest American athlete.

Being serious, Serena definitely is right near the top.

Something that robs us a bit in terms of data in this department is that its so hard to be a multi-sport pro.  In terms of someone who could have played the big 3 (NFL, MLB, NBA) LeBron James might be near the top.  Would he have been successful as a tight end in the NFL?  Maybe.  Guy certainly had the right physical stuff.  He'd probably have failed in MLB though, strike zone the size of Ohio.

Archived