Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Greatest American Athlete

PleaseBlitz

3 minutes ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

This.  I don't need stats to tell me how good he was.  I saw him play.  There was nobody like him before or after.

An argument against him sounds like something Mike Greenberg would rant on while trying to compile some stupid list that nobody cared about. :P

Ever actually see Jim Brown play?  Honest question. 

23 minutes ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

No.  My old man saw both.  He would vote for Bo as well.  Just a different level of athlete.

I’ll just note that every list of top NFL players of all time that I have seen has Jim Brown either #1 or #2. 

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/nfl-top-50-nos-1-10-jim-brown-greatest-time-article-1.2031278

“Jim Brown higher than any quarterback?” King said. “Well, he dominated more than any quarterback has, and he did it in a time when the running game was everything. He was as big as a linebacker, as fast as a receiver. Imagine averaging a 100-yard game for your career. He averaged 104.3.”

Brown finished in the top five on every ballot. Ultimately, he’s No. 1.

Brown was the overwhelming No. 1 pick on our list, garnering eight first-place votes from the 15-member panel.

The NFL itself selected a top 100 list in 2010. Jim Brown was selected #2 behind Jerry Rice. Bo Jackson did not make the top 100. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Top_100:_NFL's_Greatest_Players

More. 

https://m.ranker.com/list/top-25-greatest-nfl-players-of-all-time/hardtack

Top 25... Brown #1. (Bo not ranked]

http://www.espn.com/nfl/news/story?id=2152421

Top 10...Browm #1. Bo not ranked. 

A pattern is developing, and with all due respect to your father. 

51 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I’ll just note that every list of top NFL players of all time that I have seen has Jim Brown either #1 or #2. 

A pattern is developing, and with all due respect to your father. 

With all due respect to you, this is a Mike Greenberg-esque list. :)

The OP was not "who is the best football player?".  It is about the best athlete.  Bo didn't have a chance to make an all-time great list because he got hurt.  He won't be in any HOF.  But that doesn't mean that he wasn't a better pure athlete than anyone on that list.  

Jim Brown is a legend.  Bo Jackson is an athletic unicorn.  

It's okay.  Most of my friends are smarter than me too. :P

Once upon a time, I used to get bored and set my playstation to play as computer vs computer in NFL 2K5.  I put the 72 dolphins up against the modern day dolphins, and guess who won?  Players are just becoming more athletic as we go along, bigger and faster.  I still lean towards Jordan being the best NBA player, but I'm struggling to envision him being able to shutdown LeBron in a one on one game. 

4 minutes ago, China said:

Clearly the greatest American athlete was Secretariat.

Obviously if he wasn't so specialized at a young age he could of been a multi-sport athlete as well.  He be a beast at the goal line, can see him hurddling the pile now, would translate very well into today's game.  

8 hours ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

With all due respect to you, this is a Mike Greenberg-esque list. :)

The OP was not "who is the best football player?".  It is about the best athlete.  Bo didn't have a chance to make an all-time great list because he got hurt.  He won't be in any HOF.  But that doesn't mean that he wasn't a better pure athlete than anyone on that list.  

Jim Brown is a legend.  Bo Jackson is an athletic unicorn.  

It's okay.  Most of my friends are smarter than me too. :P

#1 it’s 4 different lists. All rank Brown 1 or 2. 

#2 I have a vague familiarity with Mike Greenberg but don’t really understand what you mean. 

#3 Any argument for Bo Jackson over Jim Brown has to rely on him being a better or nearly as good football player, and that is a really tough argument to make. 

Bo Jackson averaged 5.4 yards per attempt, Jim Brown averaged 5.6.

Jim Brown was playing football full time.

Bo Jackson wasn't.

Jim Brown wasn't playing against people as big and as strong as Bo Jackson was.

Bo Jackson was also splitting carries with Marcus Allen.  And had a better yard per attempt average than Marcus Allen.  Marcus Allen was playing football full time.

Jim Brown, I'd have to check, but I am pretty sure he was playing with a group of nobodies.

You can make a case that if Bo Jackson played full 16 game seasons, was the feature back and had proper rest in the offseason, he could have been the most dominant running back of his era.

To dismiss anything that Bo Jackson did because he didn't compile stats is silly.  The fact that he split time between both sports at the same time is a feat in and of itself, Jim Brown didn't even attempt that.  

Archived