Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Which position would you like to see the Redskins address with their first round pick?

wolfsire

Which position should we address with our first round pick?  

195 members have voted

1. 1. I'm thinking LB. A guy with a real nose for the football and all the tools it takes to make big time plays.

• QB
    • WR
    • LB
    • DL
    • OL
    • S
    • CB
    • RB
    • TE

1 minute ago, Darth Tater said:

Of the positions listed, only two would I hate to see first rounders on, QB or CB.  Given that our main problems last year that new personnel may actually fix were running, stopping the run and flipping the field pretty much all the positions remaining are possible reasons that we could not achieve that.  Of course, we haven't had even an average defense for years...

Thing is, one of Snyderato's biggest problem was that they were always chasing the wave.  Don't know if Allen has that issue. In 2016, Dallas went from worst to first and Elliot was the big reason for that. The Jags went to the championship game the year they pick Fourtnette this season. Meanwhile, much of Seattle's decline coincides with the fall off in the running game. Snyder is a simple thinker when it comes to football and may think that chasing the best back he can get is the answer to our running woes.

And that my friend would be upsetting.  I pray he doesn't get pick happy with 13 and spend it on any RB not named Barkley.  I don't see Barkley falling to 13, heck I think the Browns would be smart to take him at no 1, because they can still get a top QB at 4.  If they take Rosen no. 1 overall, then Barkely will likely be gone before they pick again.  I see your point, that they might just look at the chances of a 'first round RB' and think that it will make the difference, regardless of who its... which is terrible thinking. 

3 hours ago, Darth Tater said:

In 2016, Dallas went from worst to first and Elliot was the big reason for that. The Jags went to the championship game the year they pick Fourtnette this season. Meanwhile, much of Seattle's decline coincides with the fall off in the running game. 

You've oversimplified. The Jags/Fournette's rush offense was actually bad, but their D became the best in the league; no credit or correlation to success is associated with their running game. The Seahawks rush offense remained terrible like last year, but their D took a large step back (much of which was due to injuries) and that's the reason for the decline.

Could we use an upgrade at RB, sure, but I just don't think it'll offer much improvement. I'm still convinced that our rushing woes are due to the lack of running room created by our OL. Idk if Callahan is vastly overrated or if our three pro bowlers are vastly overrated, or a combination of both, but we simply don't get the push that you'd expect out of that kind of quality coaching/players. It becomes most evident on 3rd and short; we were constantly stonewalled. Good OLs get a push and create something for the RB, we do none of that. 

Sorry for hi-jacking the thread. Give me the best available defensive player. We've made a mockery of negotiations lately and I don't trust that we will re-sign Brown, so we'll be desperate at LB. It's a coin toss btwn LB and DT. I really don't want to see Ziggy on the field ever again. I think it's back-to-back years that he was rated as the worst, or one of the worst, DTs in the game.

Assuming we lose Brown, Luavao, Bree, along with Fuller, we'll have quite a few holes to fill. I'd welcome a trade-back. 

I picked LB, because ILB is a weakness unless we sign Brown, and i think we can get a solid linebacker at 13 even if we do. Foster is only on a 2 yr deal.

I'd like a RB, and I'd like a WR, but I'd have to see how it all shakes out.

~Bang

24 minutes ago, CTskin said:

Could we use an upgrade at RB, sure, but I just don't think it'll offer much improvement. I'm still convinced that our rushing woes are due to the lack of running room created by our OL. Idk if Callahan is vastly overrated or if our three pro bowlers are vastly overrated, or a combination of both, but we simply don't get the push that you'd expect out of that kind of quality coaching/players. It becomes most evident on 3rd and short; we were constantly stonewalled. Good OLs get a push and create something for the RB, we do none of that. 

We had 4 tackles, 6 guards and 3 centres take game snaps in 2017. I lost count of how many O'Line combinations we ran but we had games were guys would come in off the street on a Tuesday and be starting Sunday.

I'm saying that had something to do with lack of running lanes.

I picked D'Line - partly because I think you can never have too many good D'Line players and partly because I think Payne and Vea could well be there when we pick and be excellent value as guys who can play zeri/1 in base and slide out to 3 tech in nickel to be 3 down players.

47 minutes ago, CTskin said:

You've oversimplified. The Jags/Fournette's rush offense was actually bad, but their D became the best in the league; no credit or correlation to success is associated with their running game. The Seahawks rush offense remained terrible like last year, but their D took a large step back (much of which was due to injuries) and that's the reason for the decline.

Sorry for hi-jacking the thread. Give me the best available defensive player. We've made a mockery of negotiations lately and I don't trust that we will re-sign Brown, so we'll be desperate at LB. It's a coin toss btwn LB and DT. I really don't want to see Ziggy on the field ever again. I think it's back-to-back years that he was rated as the worst, or one of the worst, DTs in the game.

Assuming we lose Brown, Luavao, Bree, along with Fuller, we'll have quite a few holes to fill. I'd welcome a trade-back. 

In no way was I arguing that I want a RB at 13 here.  Seattle's defense did take a step back but its run offense has been falling off for about 3 years.

Just now, Darth Tater said:

In no way was I arguing that I want a RB at 13 here.  Seattle's defense did take a step back but its run offense has been falling off for about 3 years.

If Guice is there at #13 I would be perfectly happy with that pick personally - depending who else is still available of course. I'm assuming Barkely will be long gone.

4 minutes ago, MartinC said:

If Guice is there at #13 I would be perfectly happy with that pick personally - depending who else is still available of course. I'm assuming Barkely will be long gone.

I'll admit I am not completely versed in him so I'm at the mercy of what I've been reading... came across this on the NFL.com Draft profile... is it accurate, and if it is, does that mean he's worth that pick?  I like the idea of getting an RB, but would we be better suited to move back and do it? 

WEAKNESSES

Dealt with recurring injury issues that short-circuited production throughout 2017 season. Needs to be more decisive through the line of scrimmage as a pro. Burst is just average. May not have enough juice to win races around the edge. Needs to do better job of dropping pad level at impact rather than just ducking helmet into contact as a weapon. Will opt to finish rather than spying additional opportunities at times. Has some hip tightness and needs additional room to elude tacklers when rolling downhill. Takes his fair share of heavy hits. Needs his reps to understand concepts. Slow out of his breaks as receiver. Needs to body up in pass pro.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2018/profiles/derrius-guice?id=2560101

1 minute ago, MartinC said:

I don't see RB as the primary reason our run game was sucked so bad,  I really think our primary issue was the inability to set the edge.  The hole looked like it was there and the next thing you'd see is a defender doing what got Landry's defense the doomsday nickname.  Saw it first in 2015 but our ability to stretch the field horizontally and vertically along with a healthy Reid mitigated the problem.  In 2016, the passing threats limited this action although it was still available.

2 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

I'll admit I am not completely versed in him so I'm at the mercy of what I've been reading... came across this on the NFL.com Draft profile... is it accurate, and if it is, does that mean he's worth that pick?  I like the idea of getting an RB, but would we be better suited to move back and do it? 

This is the key bit there. Might make him drop a bit though I guess. Medicals and testing will be important to him.

Completely different talent on healthy 2016 tape as opposed to injured 2017.

Just now, MartinC said:

This is the key bit there. Might make him drop a bit though I guess. Medicals and testing will be important to him.

The dude runs angry... I like that.   I guess the combine could be the true measure... for once.  See how he cuts, moves, lifts, runs and see if his body seems hindered in any sense.  I still wonder about getting him at 13, but like you said... depending on who else is still available. 

31 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

The dude runs angry... I like that.   I guess the combine could be the true measure... for once.  See how he cuts, moves, lifts, runs and see if his body seems hindered in any sense.  I still wonder about getting him at 13, but like you said... depending on who else is still available. 

41 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

You gotta mention here that his comp is Marshawn Lynch, meaning it’s possible he can be a similar player.

i wouldn’t be upset about getting Guice at all, however, we just drafted an RB that’s decent, and he seriously had very little running room all year so to me Interior O line is more important.  But man it would be great to see a dynamic gamechanging RB back there. 

Guice’s receiving game would scare me a bit tho, he doesn’t have much production there from what I’ve read. More of a workhorse style which is fine but I’m thinking we could either wait and add an RB in the later rounds to the rotation, like Bo Scarborough, or even late round like a John Kelly.  Peep his tape out, he’s physical.  Even the 2nd round we maybe might see Sony or RJ fall, probably not though.  Chubb is likely to be there for our 2nd rounder... but so will DT starters, or an answer OG. To me the 2nd round pick is more important than folks are recognizing it would seem.

Plus FA RBs are avail and we should make that priority I think to add in with young RB corps.

21 minutes ago, freakofthesouth said:

You gotta mention here that his comp is Marshawn Lynch, meaning it’s possible he can be a similar player.

i wouldn’t be upset about getting Guice at all, however, we just drafted an RB that’s decent, and he seriously had very little running room all year so to me Interior O line is more important.  But man it would be great to see a dynamic gamechanging RB back there. 

Guice’s receiving game would scare me a bit tho, he doesn’t have much production there from what I’ve read. More of a workhorse style which is fine but I’m thinking we could either wait and add an RB in the later rounds to the rotation, like Bo Scarborough, or even late round like a John Kelly.  Peep his tape out, he’s physical.  Even the 2nd round we maybe might see Sony or RJ fall, probably not though.  Chubb is likely to be there for our 2nd rounder... but so will DT starters, or an answer OG. To me the 2nd round pick is more important than folks are recognizing it would seem.

Plus FA RBs are avail and we should make that priority I think to add in with young RB corps.

I understand what a comp means... I was looking at his knocks and basically pointing out that I wasn't sure he was worth THAT pick.  I know we drafted Perine, and I'll be the first to tell you that I like the kid.  I hope he catches on this year.  I'll also be the first to tell you that we don't need a big, bruiser back.  We don't need a Marshawn Lynch STYLE running back.  If this kid is Marshawn Lynch, sure, let's take a serious look... but that's just a comp, not a grade.  We need a guy who on 2nd and 7 from our own 32 can take a handoff between Scherff and Roullier and house it.  A guy who can read a cutback and turn a 2 yard loss into a 14 yard gain.  We don't have that in Perine or Kelley.  Neither one of them show the BURST to get from 0-60 fast enough to do THAT in the NFL.  Perine has downhill speed, and he's heavy once he gets rolling, but he's not a guy who can possibly score any time he touches the ball.  

We definitely need a RB and a NT. Whichever one is rated higher at #13. The running game was way off this year partly due to Gruden (Mr. Pass Happy) abandoning the Zone blocking running scheme Shanahan used. McVay used it when he was here and uses it with the RAMS and is successful. He needs to bring the run-zone scheme back. Shanahan created thousand yard running backs with it. 

28 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

I understand what a comp means... I was looking at his knocks and basically pointing out that I wasn't sure he was worth THAT pick.  I know we drafted Perine, and I'll be the first to tell you that I like the kid.  I hope he catches on this year.  I'll also be the first to tell you that we don't need a big, bruiser back.  We don't need a Marshawn Lynch STYLE running back.  If this kid is Marshawn Lynch, sure, let's take a serious look... but that's just a comp, not a grade.  We need a guy who on 2nd and 7 from our own 32 can take a handoff between Scherff and Roullier and house it.  A guy who can read a cutback and turn a 2 yard loss into a 14 yard gain.  We don't have that in Perine or Kelley.  Neither one of them show the BURST to get from 0-60 fast enough to do THAT in the NFL.  Perine has downhill speed, and he's heavy once he gets rolling, but he's not a guy who can possibly score any time he touches the ball.  

Agree 100%, a comp is not a grade, and a gamebreaker would be amazing at RB.  CT’s got some of that in him and we saw that, but not between the tackles really.

I like Guice but I just don’t see it working out.  Ronald Jones has legit speed tho and might fit that mold a little better a la Jamaal Charles.

I think McKinnon would be a wonderful compliment to the Rb group, as well as Hyde.  Both seem to be dynamic backs.

On 2/6/2018 at 3:22 PM, MartinC said:

whenever the Redskins draft someone on the idea he'll be great if he's healthy he is never healthy

On 2/6/2018 at 3:28 PM, OVCChairman said:

We all saw the draft era game tape of Perine and fell in love with his balance and finishing runs. If we fix the lines (and TE who block) I think between Samaje, Thompson, Bibbs, et all, we should be OK

9 hours ago, bowhunter said:

We all saw the draft era game tape of Perine and fell in love with his balance and finishing runs. If we fix the lines (and TE who block) I think between Samaje, Thompson, Bibbs, et all, we should be OK

absolutely.  Timmy Smith set the record in the Super Bowl behind the best Oline in football.  A good O line can do a lot more for the run game than a premier back will.  Like I've said elsewhere, I wouldn't mind getting that back who has the potential to hit the house on any play.  Adding a guy like Kimara would be HUGE for us.  I know i know it would be huge for anyone, but the biggest thing I think we lack is a guy who can hit a hole between the tackles, and beat the safety on the other side waiting for him.  Thompson has the speed, and quickness, but he's not going to be regularly running over anyone.  He's not meant to be used that way.  If we can add a guy with that skillset to compliment the cannon ball style that Perine has, it will be big.  Are we OK without it?  Sure.  We could be... but we haven't been yet. 

We have so many needs that the cliche answer of best player available at the spot is my vote

On 2/8/2018 at 12:01 AM, bowhunter said:

Perine is horrible, im sorry. I would honestly rather have Bibbs starting over Perine next year. Samaje has terrible vision and runs with no sense of urgency, He looks like a old game of John Madden football, Remember when you would try to hit the hole and you running back would get sucked in and stuck on the offensive lineman's hip? Yeah thats Samaje , Im not a fan. 

On 06/02/2018 at 10:28 AM, JSSkinz said:

If we added Logan or Poe and used the 1st pick for an impact DT I would be excited about our defense next year.

I think they'll choose Phil Taylor as Dontari Poe-like on the cheap. 
Logan is the player I can see them going hard for. He has better ability to penetrate . through the interior. 

DL, ILB, S

I think it inadvisable to rule out picks at certain positions, but perhaps in the first round this year there is no need for: QB, OL, OLB, CB.
Top WR seems possible
Top TE would be a reach
Next best RB might be a reach

A lot of signs pointing to defense. We've seen what this defense looks like with Ziggy Hoods as a NT, I assume the coaches want to see something different too. 

Zach Brown doesn't factor in to drafting ILB early because they'd be looking to replace the QB of the defense (Foster) in a year or two. In some respects, they've essentially relegated themselves to drafting ILB in the second round at the earliest by signing a placeholder.

I went out of the box and said OL.

Why?  Trent seems to be getting hurt a LOT as is Moses.  One of them is not going to last much longer with us.  Be better to groom someone to replace when the need arises.  But if not tackle then a Guard/Center hybrid would be nice.  

I agree with VoR's reasoning on a RB, I just 1st rder isn't where to take him unless there is someone really hershel walker esque there.

I'm like Riggotoni, I'm thinking OLine.   We likely are sticking with Scherf and Moses for a while.  I'm worried about Trent, and while we may have NSeke, let's be honest, if he goes down, we have no LT on the roster.    I'd also be happy with a Left Guard or Center.  I'm not sure where Spencer Long belongs, but Roullier looked like he might be serviceable at some future date.

If OL is not a good value, then I look at ILB (presuming we find a way to retain Preston Smith), Corner Back (we lost fuller do we keep Breeland? if so maybe not in 1st), TE or WR.  

3 hours ago, Veretax said:

I went out of the box and said OL.

Why?  Trent seems to be getting hurt a LOT as is Moses.  One of them is not going to last much longer with us.  Be better to groom someone to replace when the need arises.  But if not tackle then a Guard/Center hybrid would be nice.  

I agree with VoR's reasoning on a RB, I just 1st rder isn't where to take him unless there is someone really hershel walker esque there.

I'm like Riggotoni, I'm thinking OLine.   We likely are sticking with Scherf and Moses for a while.  I'm worried about Trent, and while we may have NSeke, let's be honest, if he goes down, we have no LT on the roster.    I'd also be happy with a Left Guard or Center.  I'm not sure where Spencer Long belongs, but Roullier looked like he might be serviceable at some future date.

If OL is not a good value, then I look at ILB (presuming we find a way to retain Preston Smith), Corner Back (we lost fuller do we keep Breeland? if so maybe not in 1st), TE or WR.  

Spencer Long is a free agent and is not expected to be signed... Roullier is likely the starter for the foreseeable future unless something falls into our lap.  From what i remember he had a lot of fans, and adding a starting caliber LG could really open things up for him.  

I agree with you about O-Line as long as the right guy is there.. and that's Quenton Nelson.  If Nelson falls, take him, but I believe he's the only O-lineman that is even worth 13 (and I dont see him getting out of the top 10, but Allen fell so...).   As far as the 2 tackles that could go in the 1st, I'm not sure I spend that.  One of the FEW positions we aren't in 'NEED' of is Tackle.  We have 2, both are effective, and both are under contract.  I'd much rather use 13 on a player that's coming in and starting asap.. we have so many other positions that can be upgraded and impacted at that position.. I would almost be upset if we took a tackle there.  We've got too much money in tackles to spend a top 15 pick on a guy who is going to be backing up.  

Archived