Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Best of luck to you guys this week

JRobinson

59 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Thanks.  I think this team can stop the run well. But I still need it to play out some more to be sure.  Manusky harped on stopping the run (along with running a more aggressive scheme) to be his top priority when he took over the defense.  

Ziggy Hood had to switch to nose last year on the fly (they had injuries at nose).  And he was just a guy last season.  The new D line coach Tomsula is known for developing noses and Ziggy said he's feeling much more comfortable this season at the position.  He looked good last Sunday, swallowing double teams, etc.  Allen is good against the run.  McGee brings no rush but is a good run stopper -- big guy with the physique of a nose.

Then you got good MLBs playing behind the D line front.  Switching in effect Zach Brown (pro-bowler last year) into the lineup to replace Will Compton (a guy who plays with a lot of heart but was very bad against the run) I think has transformed that position.   Brown arguably was the best defensive player both in the preseason and the first game. 

Junior Galette is actually probably the best pass rusher on the team but he's been brought along slowly because of past injuries.  He will play mostly weakside-edge.   Kerrigan they move around but will likely play mostly weakside edge, too.  Preston Smith played mostly weakside last year but the design for this season seems to be to play him on the strong side.   Kerrigan and Smith can run hot and cold.  

The secondary:  Norman is still a stud.  He's playing more off coverage this year.  Breeland plays more press.   They will likely play a lot of man and take chances with the secondary (similar to Wade Phillips -- Manusky is from his coaching tree).  Fuller was projected by some as a late first rounder in the 2016 draft but fell to the third because of injuries -- is playing healthy this year and looking good in the slot.  Swearinger isn't a speedy free safety but has good instincts and is by a mile the vocal leader of the unit.  Everett plays with energy but comes off to me like he plays a bit wild and not always disciplined and can be exploited. 

Considering McVay and Joe Barry are on your sidelines and they recall the 2016 season well -- I'd bet maybe they try to pick the team apart (2016 style) in the middle via the slot WR and test the middle linebackers in coverage.   In the running game, I'd think they'd go a lot of outside zone and exploit the edges.  Maybe throw at Breeland and get early success to shatter his confidence (the dude can get emotional).

As for the Redskins offense.  Short version. I like both Jay as a head coach and Kirk as the QB but like most they have an achilles heel in my opinion.  Make the Redskins one dimensional and the key is do it quick.  Jay can get frustrated quickly if the running game isn't hopping and has a habit of arguably abandoning the run too quick.  Get into Kirk's head quickly as to the pass rush where he feels like he can't trust his protection.  Kirk then tends to rush his throws even when pressure isn't there.   Kirk tends to thrive when he finds his groove so you want to disrupt that right away.     The weakness on the line is center and LG so Donald playing 3 technique on the right side would likely be nightmarish for the Redskins.  The Cardinals did that at times with Calais Campbell last year and Calais was a monster in that game. 

McVay knows that Kirk used Chris Thompson (RB) and Jordan Reed (TE) as his crutches on an average day let alone playing a team that can bring heat like the Rams.  So I'd guess there would be major game planning to shut out both.  For example, put a safety versus a LB on Thompson.  To hazard a guess, I think the Rams defense will crowd the line of scrimmage and make it hard to make plays in the flat.    And take their chances that the Redskins can't beat them deep.   Kirk can throw a decent deep ball but his favorite deep target is gone in Desean Jackson.  

And Kirk tends to starts seasons slowly where his accuracy evolves over the season.   If Kirk gets hot he definitely is capable of burning the Rams on deep balls (corner-post, deep crossing routes, etc).  But will he have the time to go 5-7 step drops?  And does he have the chemistry yet with receivers to make big plays like that?   I am a big Josh Doctson guy (not everyone agrees with me on this board about it -- because of frustrations about his injury) and if he plays -- I think he can be an X factor.  Pryor has potential too but he looked rusty last Sunday.  Crowder is probably the best receiver right now but he had a quiet day last Sunday. 

Love the details man, love it.  This is why I joined, to discuss.  We are getting into the meat of the matchups now so here goes my response...

Running the ball last week was challenging due to the Colts two DTs that are actually the studs on their D aside from Vonte Davis, who was injured.  One of our members posted a stat about facing the 8 man boxes which didn't happen a lot last week; but we still struggled to run, especially to the right.  There are quite a few idiots on our board that seem to think that Gurley has 'lost a step' or 'lost vision'. While his vision decreased last season, I strongly believe it was do to the lackluster of the OL performance.  Jeff Fisher just wanted to run the ball over and over.  In saying all that, if you guys run blitz up the gut, or overload the right side, we will be behind the chains, count on it.  However, we haven't seen McVay change game-planning in game yet, so I honestly dont know how we will respond if we can't run the ball early.  I do know this, first and 10 doesn't mean we are running automatically like we did with the Fisher era. 

So to elaborate, our RT is third year man Rob Havenstien. He doesn't really excel at any particular thing, he's just big, real big. He really struggles against speed rushers in pass pro and seems to have question marks when generating a push in run blocking.  Keeps his pad level too high due to his big frame.   Also a third year man is Jamon Brown at RG. He is a lot like Havenstien, not great ant any one thing. But, he's a better run blocker supposedly and we haven't seen that yet.  John Sullivan (FA pickup) is an upgrade for us over Tim Barnes of last year.  So far, he has proven to be at least average in all aspects.  Our LG is a solid player in Rodger Saffold.  He does everything relatively well (except from staying on the field for a full 16 games), especially now he's next to Pro Bowler LT Andrew Whitworth.  Whitworth is a beast in every aspect of what a LT does.  So, I'd imagine that Kerrigan will be lined up over on the weak side as you say... not good for us. 

As you said, Brown is the tackling machine for your squad. I have no doubt that he will be making plays come tomorrow.  You obviously have to have a guy like him to play any defense of scheme that you guys run.   I also agree with your assessment that we will attempt to attack your linebackers and their ability to cover our athletic tight ends.   We have two of them in Tyler Higbee and Gerald Everett. Both of them can run and catch the ball extremely well. However Everett appears to be the superior of the two. On the flip  Side, they are not very good at run blocking, particularly in line blocking.  

I believe our key match up on offense will be Gurley vs your linebackers in the passing game and Cooper Kupp against Fuller in the slot.  

Defensively, we play a lot of man coverage and blitz  sporadically.    It does not appear that our number two corner in Kavon Webster will be ready to go  due to a shoulder issue. Nickel Roby-Coleman will step in his role.   That will leave us to play more of a 5-2 look rather than a 3-4.  This actually plays in our favor due to the personnel that we currently have on our roster.  I can't really comment much more on what we will do defensively because I'm not sure what Wade Phillips has up his sleeve yet.

Chris Thompson will definitely see some touches  somewhere, somehow. We just have to not allow the big play. 

Sorry for the long response. 

1 hour ago, JRobinson said:

Love the details man, love it.  This is why I joined, to discuss.  We are getting into the meat of the matchups now so here goes my response...

Thanks.  Thanks for all the detail back.  It makes the game a more interesting watch.

However, we haven't seen McVay change game-planning in game yet, so I honestly dont know how we will respond if we can't run the ball early.  I do know this, first and 10 doesn't mean we are running automatically like we did with the Fisher era. 

If he's similar to how he called the game with the Redskins, Sean (like Jay) gets frustrated quickly if the run game isn't working and mostly abandons it.  Yeah McVay throws more than most on first down.

So to elaborate, our RT is third year man Rob Havenstien. He doesn't really excel at any particular thing, he's just big, real big. He really struggles against speed rushers in pass pro and seems to have question marks when generating a push in run blocking.  Keeps his pad level too high due to his big frame.   Also a third year man is Jamon Brown at RG. He is a lot like Havenstien, not great ant any one thing. But, he's a better run blocker supposedly and we haven't seen that yet.  John Sullivan (FA pickup) is an upgrade for us over Tim Barnes of last year.  So far, he has proven to be at least average in all aspects.  Our LG is a solid player in Rodger Saffold.  He does everything relatively well (except from staying on the field for a full 16 games), especially now he's next to Pro Bowler LT Andrew Whitworth.  Whitworth is a beast in every aspect of what a LT does.  So, I'd imagine that Kerrigan will be lined up over on the weak side as you say... not good for us. 

Playing off of that, maybe they move Galette at times to the right.  Galette has great get off, lose hips, can get low, good bend.  Kerrigan and Preston and Anderson are more of the (bull rush-rip move types) power rusher variety.   The Rams right side will mostly deal with McGee in the base defense and Ioannidis in nickle.  Jonathan Allen will likely mostly be playing off your guard, playing 3 technique on the right side (to the Rams left side).  The D line has the potential to bring heat:  Ioannidis (got half a sack, last week) and Allen can penetrate.  Not obviously Aaron Donald level.  But they can potentially pose problems.

My prediction is this defense does pose problems for the Rams.  I think likewise the Rams defense will pose problems to the Redskins offense.  I think this game will be a grind.  Tight score.  Whichever defense scores off of turnovers wins.

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Playing off of that, maybe they move Galette at times to the right.  Galette has great get off, lose hips, can get low, good bend.  Kerrigan and Preston and Anderson are more of the (bull rush-rip move types) power rusher variety.   The Rams right side will mostly deal with McGee in the base defense and Ioannidis in nickle.  Jonathan Allen will likely mostly be playing off your guard, playing 3 technique on the right side (to the Rams left side).  The D line has the potential to bring heat:  Ioannidis (got half a sack, last week) and Allen can penetrate.  Not obviously Aaron Donald level.  But they can potentially pose problems.

My prediction is this defense does pose problems for the Rams.  I think likewise the Rams defense will pose problems to the Redskins offense.  I think this game will be a grind.  Tight score.  Whichever defense scores off of turnovers wins.

I will definitely be keeping tabs on who is lining up on the left side for you guys.   I truly feel that your right side will have to work really hard and get creative (stunts etc..) to break through Goff's blind side.  Again, it's gonna be fun unless it's a 3 & out  extravaganza... then it just shows that our offenses have a lot to "clean up" as McVay would put it. 

I'm one of many transplants living in LA. I can tell you right now the area will not support one, let alone two teams. Too many fans from NY, DC, Pitt, Chicago, etc. USC and UCLA football are packed on Saturday, no one willing to come back Sunday as well. The Dodgers will be playing into October a lot. Fools errand.

Chargers will return to SD within a decade and the Rams will probably end up in London or something. I literally don't know a Rams' fan. I don't think I'd be one if I had been a fan in LA and then seen them won a SB elsewhere and then come back. No thanks.

As for this game... the Skins are not as bad as the fan base makes them sound, we're frustrated at not taking the next step. Still, we're better than the Rams who beat the worst team in football w/o their QB last week.

Well, it was a good game. We obviously couldn't stop the run if the first half, but we shut it down in the second half.  As a Rams fan, you guys don't know how refreshing it is to see in game adjustments.  If this was last years team, you guys would have blown us out for sure. Todd Gurley took over this game against yalls defense, that was also good to see for us.  Our OL also did a good job for the most part as well.  Didn't hear about Kerrigan or any DLmen for that matter.  But I thought yalls secondary played really well today.   Y'all played a very "safe" game, and IMO, I think that was due to the run game and the ability to go up early.   It's clear that Pryor is still not clicking with Cousins, but Crowder is for sure.  Anyways, good work and to the best of health to yalls team; cheers.  I may pop in from time to time to check in, but take care fellas.  

5 minutes ago, JRobinson said:

As a Rams fan, you guys don't know how refreshing it is to see in game adjustments.

This is both right and wrong. It's right because the Redskins rarely make any game adjustments (we got blanked the first 28 minutes of the 2nd half). It's wrong because when we do see those mythical "adjustments", it really is refreshing.

Best of luck to you and the five other Rams fans out there. :headbang:

7 minutes ago, JRobinson said:

Well, it was a good game. We obviously couldn't stop the run if the first half, but we shut it down in the second half.  As a Rams fan, you guys don't know how refreshing it is to see in game adjustments.  If this was last years team, you guys would have blown us out for sure. Todd Gurley took over this game against yalls defense, that was also good to see for us.  Our OL also did a good job for the most part as well.  Didn't hear about Kerrigan or any DLmen for that matter.  But I thought yalls secondary played really well today.   Y'all played a very "safe" game, and IMO, I think that was due to the run game and the ability to go up early.   It's clear that Pryor is still not clicking with Cousins, but Crowder is for sure.  Anyways, good work and to the best of health to yalls team; cheers.  I may pop in from time to time to check in, but take care fellas.  

Fans like you are always welcome here, @JRobinson. Best of luck to you guys for the rest of the season. I hope everything goes well, and you continue on what looks like an upward trajectory.

I'm sitting my hotel about to pass out. Game was fun, a ton of 'Skins fans it was so ridiculous I almost felt bad for the Rams fans seeing that much burgundy in their stadium.

The 'Skins did plenty wrong and have a lot to work on themselves but all things considered, they should have run away (no pun intended) with the game earlier with all the chances they had. 

I commend the Rams for coming back and making it a damn good game. I admit that once they tied the game at 20-20, I thought I was looking at another one of "those" Redskins games.

10 hours ago, JRobinson said:

Didn't hear about Kerrigan or any DLmen for that matter.  

Good conversation.  Thanks for sharing tidbits about the Rams.   To this point.  I mentioned Preston Smith the other day, he got a sack.  Kerrigan got a strip fumble.  So you did hear about the D line some.   But agree the secondary was better. 

Rams D and Wade Phillips did not have a good day. While they tightened up in second half a little they got destroyed on the game winning drive. That was a methodical butt whooping after Rams had gotten momentum. Hurt then through air and on ground that drive. 

17 hours ago, JRobinson said:

Todd Gurley took over this game against yalls defense, that was also good to see for us....But I thought yalls secondary played really well today.   Y'all played a very "safe" game, and IMO...best of health to yalls team; cheers.  I may pop in from time to time to check in, but take care fellas.  

Good game.  The "yalls" were wearing me out though.  I'm old (55+) so maybe it is just a factor of being of such age that I have not kept up with modern linguistic twists.  Old and grumpy; imagine that.  You have two players I love.  Gurley is awesome & so is Donaldson.  Was Donaldson a part of the Robert Griffin coup? Kudos to you if so.  Can we have a mulligan? :) Good game and good luck the rest of the year.  Please beat Seattle as they are on my **** list for their fans behavior after Sean's murder.  I will never forget. Hail

10 hours ago, TimmySmith said:

Glad we played the Rams week 2.  By week 10 they are going to be a force.  They could easily win the division.  McVeigh will turn Goff into a star.

We sure do hope so.  Things can only get better after what we've been the past decade

6 hours ago, Hail4Life said:

Oh they strapped it on alright and gave it to your defense rough and raw, no vasoline!

Yeah man, it was tough to see gash run after gash run in the first half.  But like I said, at least we fought back and even tied it after down 13.  That's some fight that I've not seen in quite a few years. 

6 hours ago, kleese said:

Rams D and Wade Phillips did not have a good day. While they tightened up in second half a little they got destroyed on the game winning drive. That was a methodical butt whooping after Rams had gotten momentum. Hurt then through air and on ground that drive. 

Right.  It sucked losing two starters during that drive as well.  We had a practice squad guy out there at corner and that hurt us as well.  Not making an excuse, just saying that y'all couldn't throw it very well until then.  However, why throw it when you're running it so well right?

3 hours ago, Riggo'sRangers said:

Good game.  The "yalls" were wearing me out though.  I'm old (55+) so maybe it is just a factor of being of such age that I have not kept up with modern linguistic twists.  Old and grumpy; imagine that.  You have two players I love.  Gurley is awesome & so is Donaldson.  Was Donaldson a part of the Robert Griffin coup? Kudos to you if so.  Can we have a mulligan? :) Good game and good luck the rest of the year.  Please beat Seattle as they are on my **** list for their fans behavior after Sean's murder.  I will never forget. Hail

The word 'yall' is dude to my southern draw. I'm from Florida originally (FSU guy) so that's where it comes from.  Sorry to overload ya with that.  

Yes, Donald was apart of the RG III deal. He's a stud and we need to get him wrapped up long term. 

3 hours ago, JRobinson said:

The word 'yall' is dude to my southern draw. I'm from Florida originally (FSU guy) so that's where it comes from.  Sorry to overload ya with that.  

Yes, Donald was apart of the RG III deal. He's a stud and we need to get him wrapped up long term. 

Don't let the Yankee give you the wrong impression. There's more Hunting, farming, Copenhagen ringed Redskin fans than you might imagine.

Archived