Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Christians Should Not Attack Personal Freedom (Nashville Statement)

Fergasun

59 minutes ago, Zguy28 said:

In case anybody wants to actually READ it.

https://cbmw.org/nashville-statement

I did read it, and there was a lot I agree with... but it comes off as a stoning and shunning of the LGBTQ community, and claiming that people who don't agree with them aren't "true Christians".   Articles 7, 8, 10..... I think those I don't agree with.

"People who are inherenty heterosexual claiming superiority to people who are inherently homosexual." 

Basically, this is a polite way of saying "God hates queers...but queers can still go to heaven, as long as they are not queer on earth.  We love you queers, but stop being queer!. Queers are not as valuable as non queers".

I'm atheist, raised in a United Methodist home.  I stopped believing in HS, and when my mom told me I didn't have to attend church, sunday school, or other activities in 11th grade, I left and didn't look back.

I do believe that Jesus was a great teacher, or at least someone who wrote stuff down was a teacher.  And a Liberal, Humanist, whatever.  Because if one really reads the New Testament, it's all about how to live with other humans.  Not about corporations, capitalism, etc.

I believe in living life here on Earth, and not some pie in the sky god living is some paradise if only we believe.

1 hour ago, zoony said:

I am confused what does nashville have to do with anything?

Nashville Mayor Decries Anti-Gay Statement Named After City

NASHVILLE, Tenn. — Nashville’s mayor is denouncing a statement against same-sex marriage that evangelical leaders named after the city.

On Tuesday, Mayor Megan Barry tweeted that the “Nashville Statement” is poorly named and does not represent the inclusive values of the city and people of Nashville.

More than 180 evangelical leaders have signed the statement, which was released after the Southern Baptist Convention’s Ethics and Religious Liberty Commission annual conference last week in Nashville.

Among 14 beliefs listed, the statement also takes a stance against transgender people. It says Christians shouldn’t simply agree to disagree on homosexuality and transgender issues.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/religion/nashville-mayor-decries-anti-gay-statement-named-after-city/2017/08/30/d0b64bcc-8db2-11e7-9c53-6a169beb0953_story.html?utm_term=.806269b35b1e

I'll observe that fundamentalist Christian preachers like Jim Bakker, Jimmy Swaggert, and many many others, and many Catholic priests as well, ****ed like bunnies outside of marriage or outside of their vows of chastity, all the while preaching the tenets reflected in this "statement."

44 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

People arguing over discrepancies between different chapters in a 2000-5000 year old book, written by man, with content handpicked by powerful men in the Vatican seeking to maintain power, then translated a dozen different times and ways... is really ****ing silly. 

This isn't historically accurate in terms of how we came to the books of the NT.  The books of the NT were in place as established scripture before at least 400 AD and maybe as early as 200 AD.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Development_of_the_New_Testament_canon

Roman persecution of Christians doesn't end until 313 AD.

Just now, PeterMP said:

This isn't historically accurate in terms of how we came to the books of the NT.  The books of the NT were in place as established scripture before at least 400 AD and maybe as early as 200 AD.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Development_of_the_New_Testament_canon

Roman prosecution of Christians doesn't end until 313 AD.

Are we sure we aren't missing a few chapters? How about the possibility of pre-200 AD editorial embellishment? 

Look at how much historical accuracy we lose over 200 years *now* and imagine how little they would actually know in 200 AD about what occurred in the time of Jesus. 

13 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

Are we sure we aren't missing a few chapters? How about the possibility of pre-200 AD editorial embellishment? 

Look at how much historical accuracy we lose over 200 years *now* and imagine how little they would actually know in 200 AD about what occurred in the time of Jesus. 

Okay, we have copies of some scriptures (some testaments) that are older and those closely match what we have.

We're as sure as we can be.  And certainly, the people that were doing the deciding at that time weren't powerful people living in the Vatican trying to maintain power.

(For a non-Christian perspective, try reading Bart Ehrman's Misquoting Jesus.  Even if you take out the parts that he says that aren't authentic, there is no real re-interpretation of Christianity.)

People working to maintain the truth of a religion they were willing to die for paints a very different picture than people trying to manipulate a system that they are trying to maintain control of.  The first is what historically seems to have happened.  The second is what you described.

9 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

Ever play the game of Telephone? 

Now imagine about 200 years of Telephone as applied to the Bible.

I've never played a game of telephone where  I was willing to die for the communication of the message.  Have you?

The Museum of the Bible opens November 2017 at 409 3rd St SW in Washington, DC.

The founder, Steve Green, is the son of the founder of Hobby Lobby and current president of the company.  The family has amassed what is described as the largest collection of historic bibles and bible artifacts in the world.  Green says that the museum will be non-sectarian, non-political, and will not proselytize. 

I'll never understand the focus on sexual sin over other, far more destructive sins.  Where is the Nashville Statement on greed?  I'm sick of reading the words of religious leaders focused tirelessly on sins that don't threaten them.  Men in big houses driving fancy cars talking about gays and women.  How about speaking on pride, greed, and wrath?  Some might argue it's wise to stick to what you know best.

6 minutes ago, Destino said:

I'll never understand the focus on sexual sin over other, far more destructive sins.  Where is the Nashville Statement on greed?  I'm sick of reading the words of religious leaders focused tirelessly on sins that don't threaten them.  Men in big houses driving fancy cars talking about gays and women.  How about speaking on pride, greed, and wrath?  Some might argue it's wise to stick to what you know best.

I would guess it's because that is the major topic in our society today.

4 minutes ago, Destino said:

This, entirely

Not sure at which point Churches decided which sins to allow and which to oppose vehemently.  And even if they did decide to make some worse than others, theyve chosen the wrong one.

Jesus speaks almost entirely on a few themes, with hypocrisy and pride dominating all else. Were Churches to make these their focus, would at least be understandable

13 minutes ago, MisterPinstripe said:

So, great recession and greed.  That kind of stuff just happened, man

15 minutes ago, MisterPinstripe said:

Its more an "in-house" statement than one meant for those outside the church.

1 hour ago, Dan T. said:

I'll observe that fundamentalist Christian preachers like Jim Bakker, Jimmy Swaggert, and many many others, and many Catholic priests as well, ****ed like bunnies outside of marriage or outside of their vows of chastity, all the while preaching the tenets reflected in this "statement."

Pretty sure none of them signed it.

Archived