Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Nationwide Removal of Confederate Statues

No Excuses

3 hours ago, Springfield said:

The republicans like to tout Lincoln to prove to people that they aren't racists though (let's not mention that the parties essentially flipped platforms in the 1900's).

Huh no they didn't. The dems basic platform has always been to treat people according to their situation (The Repubs the opposite) that has never changed.

19 minutes ago, Kilmer17 said:

I suppose that insulting post was meant to get a rise out of me.  I like this swamp hole.  You should come spend time here and meet the locals.  

It it would probably change your opinion on a lot of issues 

The overdose capital of Florida!  And that's really saying something.

http://www.bradenton.com/news/local/heroin-epidemic/article121725633.html

Conservatives are missing an opportunity here.  It's clear that the confederacy issue is a loser and the statues are going to go... so get out ahead of this and replace them with conservative icons.  I can't really think of many of them but I'm sure you guys have loads of heroes that would drive liberals insane.  Put up a statue of Clarence Thomas and say you honored him before the African American museum did. 

If you can't win, troll.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Destino said:

Conservatives are missing an opportunity here.  It's clear that the confederacy issue is a loser and the statues are going to go... so get out ahead of this and replace them with conservative icons.  I can't really think of many of them but I'm sure you guys have loads of heroes that would drive liberals insane.  Put up a statue of Clarence Thomas and say you honored him before the African American museum did. 

If you can't win, troll.

I don't think the majority equate the confederacy with statues and monuments.   There's a difference between celebrating and honoring. 

40 minutes ago, Destino said:

If you can't win, troll.

This is the advice you give kilmer? :nono: :ols:

I still think what would be most appropriate to start with: remove all public displays of any confederate civilian leader or confederate military figure, period,  and replace them all with figures of african-americans with heroic/poignant/inspirational historical stories...that would be my fave...but don't junk the sons of the south statues...put them in appropriate museum settings with proper context of display---and no, by that i don't mean in the "loser" wing of the museum, wiseasses :)

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Will do, big guy.  Jupiter is more my style anyway.

i plan to see if i can use this club option in the new software to create a little thunderdumb--i mean dome :D---clubhouse where you, bornagain, asbusry, twa, and kilmer could only communicate with each other....if  that's doable, i'll see if i can figure out how to extend the setting into your lives off ES and just launch it all at once...

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

i plan to see if i can use this club option in the new software to create a little thunderdumb--i mean dome :D---clubhouse where you, bornagain, asbusry, twa, and kilmer could only communicate with each other....if  that's doable, i'll see if i can figure out how to extend the setting into your lives off ES and just launch it all at once...

Can we call it "Virtual Bradenton"?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kilmer17 said:

I don't think the majority equate the confederacy with statues and monuments.   There's a difference between celebrating and honoring.

There is a difference between celebrating something and honoring it, but both are positive feelings that convey a certain level of respect or at least acceptance.  The confederacy deserves neither.  They were a destructive force that rose up for the worst of all possible reasons and threatened to tear out great nation apart.  They failed, but managed to take an extraordinary number of souls with them to the grave in doing so.  Such actions are unworthy of either celebration or honor.  They were monstrous men that did great harm in the name racist ideology.  We forget them at our own peril, but they should be remembered as monsters not honored in our nations parks and public spaces.  

2 hours ago, Jumbo said:

This is the advice you give kilmer? :nono: :ols:

Oh what, like we all haven't heard of Reagan National Airport?  That was some might fine trolling.  I'm merely reminding everyone, innocently mind you, that  the option exists. :)

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Destino said:

There is a difference between celebrating something and honoring it, but both are positive feelings that convey a certain level of respect or at least acceptance.  The confederacy deserves neither.  They were a destructive force that rose up for the worst of all possible reasons and threatened to tear out great nation apart.  They failed, but managed to take an extraordinary number of souls with them to the grave in doing so.  Such actions are unworthy of either celebration or honor.  They were monstrous men that did great harm in the name racist ideology.  We forget them at our own peril, but they should be remembered as monsters not honored in our nations parks and public spaces.  

Oh what, like we all haven't heard of Reagan National Airport?  That was some might fine trolling.  I'm merely reminding everyone, innocently mind you, that  the option exists. :)

This will become the fight that breaks our nation again.  Saddle up.

To the victor goes the spoils, and in most cases spoils includes the right to write history.

The USA made a mistake all those years ago when it allowed the ex-CSA to write its own history.  The slavery vs. State's rights schism exists because of the USA ceding its right as winner in the name of healing.

Now, certainly, this right has allowed victors throughout history to whitewash bad acts, but in the case of the CSA, we went too far the other way.

The ex-Confederacy should have not been allowed to flirt with revisionist history.  Alas, to confront that would have meant forcing progressive thought farther than even the North was comfortable with at the times this came up.  The USA was fine ending slavery, but equality was still 100 years out, and it allowed the ex-CSA to slip their version of events into public consciousness.

But we have evolved past that, and as such the revisionism should no longer be allowed to stand unchallenged.  The victor of the Civil War must now take back the right it ceded long ago and ensure the record is corrected to the truth and stays as such.

20 minutes ago, DogofWar1 said:

To the victor goes the spoils, and in most cases spoils includes the right to write history.

The USA made a mistake all those years ago when it allowed the ex-CSA to write its own history.  The slavery vs. State's rights schism exists because of the USA ceding its right as winner in the name of healing.

Now, certainly, this right has allowed victors throughout history to whitewash bad acts, but in the case of the CSA, we went too far the other way.

The ex-Confederacy should have not been allowed to flirt with revisionist history.  Alas, to confront that would have meant forcing progressive thought farther than even the North was comfortable with at the times this came up.  The USA was fine ending slavery, but equality was still 100 years out, and it allowed the ex-CSA to slip their version of events into public consciousness.

But we have evolved past that, and as such the revisionism should no longer be allowed to stand unchallenged.  The victor of the Civil War must now take back the right it ceded long ago and ensure the record is corrected to the truth and stays as such.

Except Lincoln and subsequent Presidents didnt feel that way at all.  That's why soldiers were pardoned, given amnesty, buried in National Cemeteries, survivors given govt benefits like Union soldiers etc etc.  The revisionist history is happening now.  This is a liberal FU to groups of people they have despised and mocked for years.   

2 minutes ago, Kilmer17 said:

Except Lincoln and subsequent Presidents didnt feel that way at all.  That's why soldiers were pardoned, given amnesty, buried in National Cemeteries, survivors given govt benefits like Union soldiers etc etc.  The revisionist history is happening now.  This is a liberal FU to groups of people they have despised and mocked for years.   

There are tons and tons of quotes from people about "healing" the nation.  The goal was to get the USA back to working order, and the best way to do that was to not make the South feel subjugated.

That ultimately probably helped keep the USA from having significant further conflict, but it opened the door for the South to invent a culture based on false notions of why the war happened.

I'm not even sure we're disagreeing here.  The North didn't want to subjugate the South, and part of that was basically allowing them to rewrite pieces of history regarding motive.  The North had factions within it too.  Many wanted healing and so let things slide.  Others were not progressive enough to want to wrestle with historical arguments over motive.  There was likely also a group that didn't expect CSA revivialism to be a thing, seeing as it really started big time towards the end of the 1800s; as such subjugation re motives was likely seen as unnecessary, everyone knew full well it was about slave vs. free.

Ultimately the North could have and arguably should have enforced the truth regarding what the South was, while still trying to heal things.

It didn't happen.  It was a mistake.  And we're paying for it now.  There is no revision in calling the CSA out for its motives and demanding that, at least in the context of accurate historical discussion, those motives be portrayed accurately.

Confederate Statues attract Nazi's

Nazi's bring violence 

people die

Confederate statues have to go 

Why is this hard? Do something about the Nazi's and KKK or lose your precious statues. Thats the rub. 

Edit: Black people been telling yall this Confederate **** was code for the KKK for years and it wasn't until a bunch of racists showed up to a confederate staute with confederate flags marching and yelling **** Jews and Blacks that we finally figured out, 'Oh hey, maybe they were right'. Took a while but glad you caught up. Now stop fighting it and fix it. Like i said this shouldn't be hard at this point. They made the point for you. If you want you ****ing "heritage" then keep it away from the KKK. Its. Not. Hard. 

Edited by Llevron
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1