Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What Was Your Favorite Tom Hanks Performance in a Film?

Ron78

What Was Your Favorite Tom Hanks Performance in a Film?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. What Was Your Favorite Tom Hanks Performance in a Film of Franchise?

• Splash
    • Bachelor Party
    • The Man With One Red Shoe
    • Big
    • Punchline
    • Turner & Hooch
    • A League of Their Own
    • Philadelphia
    • Forrest Gump
    • Apollo 13
    • Toy Story/Toy Story 2/Toy Story 3
    • Saving Private Ryan
    • The Green Mile
    • Cast Away
    • Road to Perdition
    • The Da Vinci Code/Angles & Demons/Inferno
    • Charlie Wilson's War
    • Captain Phillips
    • Sully
    • Other

4 hours ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

That would be an interesting thread. Tom Hardy probably gets my vote. Daniel Day Lewis runner-up.

As for the task at hand... Joe vs the Volcano.

edit: oookay, Joe vs the Volcano isn't on the list. Gotta go with Gump then. I think I was 13 when that came out and I remember sitting in the theater thinking, "I don't want this to end". If memory serves, that was a great year for movies all around. Weren't  Shawshank and Pulp Fiction that same year?

Also Forest Gump's son was the little kid who saw dead people in the 6th sense.

Double Edit: Just looked him up. Now he sees Ho-Hos

Joe vs. the Volcano was a terrible movie, but there is an "other" option.

4 hours ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

Holy crap, I can't get over what a fat piece of **** Haley Joel Osment turned into. He should star in a remake of 'My Left Foot' entitled 'My Left Foot: I Lost It Because I Have Diabetes'.

And while I'm on a roll, I want to point out that Tom Hanks's greatest performance wasn't in a film at all. It was on television.

Wow, SNL has really gone downhill.  They probably would have floundered without material from the this past election.

24 minutes ago, Kosher Ham said:

He is one of the greatest of all time. 

I think he could play every role that Hanks played over the years. 

Most folks would agree that Hanks is in the discussion. 

Personally, I think many actors with less range could play many of Hanks' roles over the years (and possibly better). 

I think DiCaprio would have actually been a better actor in at least one of Hanks movies...Castaway. 

I'll give Hanks Big and Gump...the predominant rest... I think DiCaprio would have been better. 

Outside of The Revenant and The Aviator, Leonardo DiCaprio's body of work doesn't come close to touching Tom Hanks' body of work.  That is a farce.  Those two are not in the same discussion.

10 minutes ago, Ron78 said:

Outside of The Revenant and The Aviator, Leonardo DiCaprio's body of work doesn't come close to touching Tom Hanks' body of work.  That is a farce.  Those two are not in the same discussion.

You're forgetting a little movie called Critters 3 there, aren't you?

1 minute ago, Kosher Ham said:

You're right DiCaprio is clearly the better actor. 

Not by a mile.  You clearly have some kind of man crush on that dude.  Most of his performances have been pretty weak. 

2 hours ago, Ron78 said:

Blood Diamond

Inception

Wolf of Wall St

Django Unchained

The Departed

Great Gatsby

Titanic 

Shutter Island

Youre saying none of those stack up against Tom Hanks' films?  

18 hours ago, TryTheBeal! said:

I'll take The Green Mile.  Bachelor Party is highly underrated tho.

I don't think it's underrated, just lost in the shuffle cause it's an old movie. Always loved what the did to the Porsche. 

16 minutes ago, Destino said:

Blood Diamond

Inception

Wolf of Wall St

Django Unchained

The Departed

Great Gatsby

Titanic 

Shutter Island

Youre saying none of those stack up against Tom Hanks' films?  

None of Leonardo DiCaprio's performances in those movies match up against Tom Hanks performances.  Tom Hanks is the better actor.

The Hanks vs DiCaprio debate is interesting. IMO, I don't think one actor is better than the other overall. Both seem to own the scene in certain kinds of roles, and I think both have done a good job of choosing the right kinds of roles and directors to allow themselves to shine. 

Saving Private Ryan is probably one of Hanks' most popular movies, but I think almost any of Hollywood's leading men could've done that role just as well. Where Hanks really shines, and where I think Leo can't compare, is the unusual roles like Castaway and Forrest Gump. Leo has never played a mentally challenged character, and probably never will. Very few actors can do a role like Castaway, where an actor has to carry the film on his own for 80% of screen time, and actually have it compelling and interesting. The only role Leo has that comes close is The Revenant, which I found to be boring. 

On the flip side, Hanks wouldn't do as well in Wolf on Wall Street and I think he knows this, which is why he's avoided that kind of stuff. I also don't think he would've been as good in Django or The Departed. 

It just isn't a one size fits all kind of debate. People who choose one or the other typically just relate better or enjoy the kind of characters either actor has excelled at. You want an actor to do a quirky, unusual role? Get Hanks. You want a morally ambiguous, tortured protagonist who can also play a weasly slimy antagonist? Get Dicapro. 

I like pretty much all tom hanks movies except sulley. But you left off one of his greatest.

The Ladykillers. 

He was absolute gold in this movie. The casting and acting from everyone else in the movie was phenomenal, but his presence made it feel like he was the only one in the room the entire movie. 

3 minutes ago, Skin'emAlive said:

I like pretty much all tom hanks movies except sulley. But you left off one of his greatest.

The Ladykillers. 

He was absolute gold in this movie. The casting and acting from everyone else in the movie was phenomenal, but his presence made it feel like he was the only one in the room the entire movie. 

Fact.  The Ladykillers is brilliant.

3 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

DeNiro.  

In the conversation, but I don't think he reaches as far compared to those guys. 

Plays gangster too often. 

Certainly a few iconic roles however. So definitely in the conversation. 

2 minutes ago, Kosher Ham said:

In the conversation, but I don't think he reaches as far compared to those guys. 

Plays gangster too often. 

Certainly a few iconic roles however. So definitely in the conversation. 

He does, but let's not forget how good of a comedian he can be, like Meet the Parents and Analyze This, King of Comedy.

Even in the gangster genre, he's got a range.  Playing the young Don Corleone in Godfather II (speaking nothing but Italian) to Jimmy Conway in Goodfellas he's done it differently.  

Not dismissing his talents, just not sure if his roles overall...match up as far as versatility. 

I could take Downey Jr. ( Whom, I think is very talented also), I just don't think he matches up. Ed Norton, Ed Harris, and a few others. 

I know it was definitely not his best work but the scene from money pit when the bathtub went through the floor was a scene i connected with so much that i had to put other.

I just love that movie and can relate to it so much when he's dealing with disaster after disaster. 

Archived