Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Joshua Holsey DB Auburn

PCS

Welcome to the Redskins Sir.  

1995463.jpg

DRAFT ANALYSIS:

Holsey was a 4-year starter in the SEC with experience at CB and S. He's got some medical history, but he has a shot at making the Redskins' roster as a backend depth DB. --Mark Dulgerian

Holsey tore the ACL in his left knee (twice) over his Auburn career, but had career-bests in 2016 (3 INTs). -- NFLDraftScout.com

Woah, this kid is way better than I expected.  Hit cut ups against Ole Miss are unbelievably good.  Those are the only ones I can find, so given that he put that on film and was still available in the seventh round, I have to think that game might have been a positive outlier.  Nevertheless, if that's what he's capable of on a good day, I like the pick a lot.

Strengths:

- Fantastic feet and hips.  Very smooth backpedal and is brilliant at mirroring through the break.  Hips are on a swivel and he plays with excellent balance.

- Good looking off man coverages.  So fluid out of the break and he can click and close.

- Surprisingly good in press coverage.  He's small but he's aggressive and he does yeoman's work to reroute the big WRs and keep his leverage off the line of scrimmage.  Excellent recovery speed.  He's a glove when he gets to turn and run deep with receivers.  

- Shines in zone covering outs and deep thirds.  He looks really really good and comfortable in bail technique.  Good vision and instincts.  Reads the QB well and peels off assignments with good anticipation for where the ball is headed.

- Excellent at playing the ball in the air.  He had five, read that, five PBUs in the game I saw.  Plus an interception.  Unbelievable.  Even beat a tall receiver to the high point who is known for being good at winning jump balls.  If he were taller and had longer arms, he could be a ballhawk.

Weaknesses:

- Size is the main one.  He's well built but he looks pretty short.  There is a lot of size on the outside out receiver in the NFL...

- Doesn't look like much of a factor against the run.  Not a lot of plays went his way in the game I saw, but I don't think he's an aggressive edge defender.  Seemed like he was more content to wrestle with the receiver than look to disengage and get into the play.  Didn't really get to see his ability as a tackler because he was never really in the vicinity.  His career tackle numbers are also pretty ordinary.

- A little grabby.  He toes the line of between incidental and illegal contact.  Could have been flagged on a few of the plays I saw.

Bottom line, this kid can cover.  I guess the ACL injuries scared teams off, because otherwise his ability suggests he should have gone before the 7th round.  He honestly looked good enough to develop into a starter on the outside down the line.

@stevemcqueen1

Once again, saw much the same.  Really wanted to see him get after it in the tackling department, but alas... lot of patty cake with receivers.  Did see one attempt when he came in hot, so I'm not sure I'd (necessarily) say he's scared to stick his nose in there, but he's gonna have to be much more proactive in the NFL.  

Coverage though?  Man, he really looked the part think you nailed it).  Some excellent PBUs, and a really savvy INT beating receiver to his mark.  Could maybe work on getting his head around on the deeper passes. 

Like his potential.  One thing - because of the potential tackling/physical issue - I wonder whether he can make it as on Teams.  Tough road if he can't.  

Yeah, he should bring some competition to the slot position.  As @thesubmittedone mentioned, slot corner was one of our biggest needs/question marks after dline.  I'm thinking Fuller will make a jump this year, but this guy brings another option to the table.  

Norman, Breeland, Fuller and Moreau are locks, and Dunbar is a near lock, so it's likely gonna be tough to crack the 53 (barring major injury).  

• 2 weeks later...

McNally about others singled him our in practice today for looking good.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/football-insider/wp/2017/05/13/redskins-rookie-minicamp-observations-from-saturdays-practice/?utm_term=.70c90ffef886

Another player drawing praise from Gruden: seventh-rounder Josh Holsey. The defensive back took reps both at cornerback and nickelback. He likely will start out his career on the inside, but coaches have him learning both positions for now. Gruden liked what he saw from the Auburn product during one-on-one drills Friday and challenged Holsey to carry that over into team drills. Holsey displayed good quickness and instincts, getting out of breaks quickly to contest passes. On Sunday, the 5-10, 190-pounder stood out in particular when he broke on the ball on an out route and swatted the pass away along the sideline. Gruden was there to smack Holsey on the helmet right after the play. The cornerback said Gruden joked that he should’ve intercepted the ball. Holsey was encouraged by his start but can’t wait to mix it up with the veterans and try to learn everything he can from them. He said he’s going to “eat what they eat, eat when they eat, sleep when they sleep,” and just try to mimic everything possible.

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

McNally about others singled him our in practice today for looking good.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/football-insider/wp/2017/05/13/redskins-rookie-minicamp-observations-from-saturdays-practice/?utm_term=.70c90ffef886

Another player drawing praise from Gruden: seventh-rounder Josh Holsey. The defensive back took reps both at cornerback and nickelback. He likely will start out his career on the inside, but coaches have him learning both positions for now. Gruden liked what he saw from the Auburn product during one-on-one drills Friday and challenged Holsey to carry that over into team drills. Holsey displayed good quickness and instincts, getting out of breaks quickly to contest passes. On Sunday, the 5-10, 190-pounder stood out in particular when he broke on the ball on an out route and swatted the pass away along the sideline. Gruden was there to smack Holsey on the helmet right after the play. The cornerback said Gruden joked that he should’ve intercepted the ball. Holsey was encouraged by his start but can’t wait to mix it up with the veterans and try to learn everything he can from them. He said he’s going to “eat what they eat, eat when they eat, sleep when they sleep,” and just try to mimic everything possible.

IMO, he's our starting slot CB.

15 hours ago, RWJ said:

IMO, he's our starting slot CB.

Great quote from Holsey, lol.  Good stuff.

With Fuller to compete with and going against one of the best in the game in Crowder, I think we should finally expect some good slot corner play.  With that said, I expect it'll take some time to get there.  I think flashes of good play this year, with consistency coming with more experience - decent this year and solid play after that.  

Last thing, Fuller looked pretty terrible last year, but we know he's talented.  I'm thinking (in addition to the competition Holsey will bring) the coaching/play calling changes could have a significant impact... particularly on our 3rd down woes from last year.  

I think I watched the same tape you did @stevemcqueen1, and I was impressed as well. He shut everything down on his side of the field I think he definitely competes for the slot corner spot. I think he dropped because of the ACL's because he got a lot going for him. Definitely one to watch!

Edit: it was the Ole Miss game. And he was on lock down.

2 hours ago, skinny21 said:

Great quote from Holsey, lol.  Good stuff.

With Fuller to compete with and going against one of the best in the game in Crowder, I think we should finally expect some good slot corner play.  With that said, I expect it'll take some time to get there.  I think flashes of good play this year, with consistency coming with more experience - decent this year and solid play after that.  

Last thing, Fuller looked pretty terrible last year, but we know he's talented.  I'm thinking (in addition to the competition Holsey will bring) the coaching/play calling changes could have a significant impact... particularly on our 3rd down woes from last year.  

Fuller is getting his old DB coach back too so that should help his play and hopefully he coaches up the talent he now has in FA and the draft.

20 hours ago, RWJ said:

Fuller is getting his old DB coach back too so that should help his play and hopefully he coaches up the talent he now has in FA and the draft.

That and the fact that his injury had another year to heal up.  He should be as close to 100% now.  He was never full speed last year IMO.

To add onto @Morneblade's post:

Seventh-round cornerback Joshua Holsey impressed at the Redskins camp this Saturday, prompting Washington Head Coach Jay Gruden to comment that it “doesn’t look like he was hurt at all… I think he’s going to be a great candidate for this football team.”

• Holsey is a fierce competitor, seeking out an individual matchup with WR Mike Williams in Auburn’s 2016 opening day game against Clemson. In his first game back from his second ACL surgery, DeShaun Watson targeted Holsey four times, completing just one pass for 5 yards, with an interception.
  •  
  • Holsey gave up a completion percentage of just 48.1 on throws into his coverage last season, ranking fourth-best among draft-eligible SEC cornerbacks.
  •  
  • He recorded a QB rating against of just 49.3 on throws into his primary coverage, ranking 17th-best among all cornerbacks last season and third among draft-eligible SEC cornerbacks. He only missed one tackle over 32 total attempts this past season, ranking him third in the nation in tackling efficiency. Holsey’s secure style would help a Washington Redskins secondary that combined to miss 61 tackles last season.
  •  
  • Holsey was especially effective at defending “go” routes, allowing just two receptions on 20 total attempts, accumulating one interception, and recording a QB rating against of 18.8.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-redskins-seventh-rounder-cb-joshua-holsey-impresses-at-rookie-camp/

38 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

To add onto @Morneblade's post:

Seventh-round cornerback Joshua Holsey impressed at the Redskins camp this Saturday, prompting Washington Head Coach Jay Gruden to comment that it “doesn’t look like he was hurt at all… I think he’s going to be a great candidate for this football team.”

• Holsey is a fierce competitor, seeking out an individual matchup with WR Mike Williams in Auburn’s 2016 opening day game against Clemson. In his first game back from his second ACL surgery, DeShaun Watson targeted Holsey four times, completing just one pass for 5 yards, with an interception.
  •  
  • Holsey gave up a completion percentage of just 48.1 on throws into his coverage last season, ranking fourth-best among draft-eligible SEC cornerbacks.
  •  
  • He recorded a QB rating against of just 49.3 on throws into his primary coverage, ranking 17th-best among all cornerbacks last season and third among draft-eligible SEC cornerbacks. He only missed one tackle over 32 total attempts this past season, ranking him third in the nation in tackling efficiency. Holsey’s secure style would help a Washington Redskins secondary that combined to miss 61 tackles last season.
  •  
  • Holsey was especially effective at defending “go” routes, allowing just two receptions on 20 total attempts, accumulating one interception, and recording a QB rating against of 18.8.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-redskins-seventh-rounder-cb-joshua-holsey-impresses-at-rookie-camp/

Really nice information there. Not bad for a 7th round pick, playing in the Big Boy conference. ;)

Just now, Morneblade said:

Really nice information there. Not bad for a 7th round pick, playing in the Big Boy conference. ;)

Yeah, it seems like we got a major steal if he can stay healthy.  With the question marks we have at nickel CB on this team, it would be a great get.

Archived