Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2017 ES GM's Mock Draft is now in the books. FULL details in the OP.

Gibbs Hog Heaven

44 minutes ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

Let's look at that...

We'll agree to disagree :dallas_sucks:

I'll just say that making a RG3 type deal and then following up by trading more future picks in the same draft doesn't happen for a reason.

You traded away your 1st, 2nd, 4th, 2 5ths and a 6th in 2018 and your 1st in 2019 and say you didn't mortgage your future.

I'd hate to see what mortgaging your future looks like...

I'd address the current Cowboys roster and salary cap but this probably isn't the time to keep that conversation going.

22 minutes ago, PokerPacker said:

Did that write-up take you 30 minutes?

I was debating between my last two guys which one I wanted more to be honest.

Now I'm on to trying to grab the other one....

9 minutes ago, Epochalypse said:

We'll agree to disagree :dallas_sucks:

I'll just say that making a RG3 type deal and then following up by trading more future picks in the same draft doesn't happen for a reason.

You traded away your 1st, 2nd, 4th, 2 5ths and a 6th in 2018 and your 1st in 2019 and say you didn't mortgage your future.

I'd hate to see what mortgaging your future looks like...

I'd address the current Cowboys roster and salary cap but this probably isn't the time to keep that conversation going.

Again. completely taking out of context a ball clubs situation. In this case one that can afford to make those moves. 

It happened for sure for a reason - To take the next step toward (hopefully) another Lombardi.

Dallas traded away ..... To get the pieces to win now and take them over the edge. As they have a solid roster in place to start with, with 10 out of 11 returning starters on O and a D that needed addressing in key areas. Which it has been. I'll take losing two firsts and a second for a once in a generation difference making playmaker at edge The main missing piece on the Cowboys D who makes everyone better in association. This assertion that those 1's and the second could of been better spent in the future is just as folly as what you don't agree with- it happening now. 

FWIW, that would leave a 3/ 4/ 5/ 6 and 7 next year. And a 2/ 3/ 4/ 5/ 6 and 7 in 2019. 

I don't mind you critiquing. But stick to what's actually there and not what you perceive to be down the line. 

Hail. 

1 minute ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

Again. completely taking out of context a ball clubs situation. In this case one that can afford to make those moves. 

Dallas traded away ..... To get the pieces to win now and take them over the edge. As they have a solid roster in place to start with, with 10 out of 11 returning starters on O and a D that needed addressing in key areas. Which it has been. I'll take losing two firsts and a second for a once in a generation difference making playmaker at edge The main missing piece on the Cowboys D who makes everyone better in association. This assertion that those 1's and the second could of been better spent in the future is just as folly as what you don't agree with- it happening now. 

I don't mind you critiquing. But stick to what's actually there and not what you perceive to be down the line. 

Hail. 

And as I stated previously I see the Cowboys roster and salary cap situation differently than you.  You feel the Cowboys have the roster in place to mortgage their future; I am saying I disagree with that.  You say you don't mind me critiquing and yet when I present factual evidence you dismiss it as if it doesn't exist.  Dallas has recognized holes on their roster whether you want to recognize them or not.  They have recognized salary cap issues whether you want to recognize them or not.  If you'd like to find articles saying their cap situation is great and their roster is complete please do so, I'll provide articles saying otherwise.  That's how discourse works.  That said, I can wait until we have our final write-ups since it appears you want a separate thread for that.

Lastly, neither of our opinions really matter, and it will be difficult to prove either of us absolutely correct.  You could argue that even if the Cowboys tank this year, if they had made your moves they'd have won multiple Super Bowls.  I could argue even if the Cowboys do great this year, had this draft actually happened they'd still fall off a cliff in the years following.  So it's purely a mental exercise, unless everything unfolds for the Cowboys as you have laid it out.  Not likely given no team has ever or would ever give up what you gave up in future picks, but I suppose that possibility does exist.

15 minutes ago, Epochalypse said:

And as I stated previously I see the Cowboys roster and salary cap situation differently than you.  You feel the Cowboys have the roster in place to mortgage their future; I am saying I disagree with that.  You say you don't mind me critiquing and yet when I present factual evidence you dismiss it as if it doesn't exist.  Dallas has recognized holes on their roster whether you want to recognize them or not.  They have recognized salary cap issues whether you want to recognize them or not.  If you'd like to find articles saying their cap situation is great and their roster is complete please do so, I'll provide articles saying otherwise.  That's how discourse works.  That said, I can wait until we have our final write-ups since it appears you want a separate thread for that.

Lastly, neither of our opinions really matter, and it will be difficult to prove either of us absolutely correct.  You could argue that even if the Cowboys tank this year, if they had made your moves they'd have won multiple Super Bowls.  I could argue even if the Cowboys do great this year, had this draft actually happened they'd still fall off a cliff in the years following.  So it's purely a mental exercise, unless everything unfolds for the Cowboys as you have laid it out.  Not likely given no team has ever or would ever give up what you gave up in future picks, but I suppose that possibility does exist.

Please, enlighten me to what I apparently refuse to recognise? As you've as yet presented no 'factual evidence' outside of your own opinion that you don't like futures being traded and the Cowboys have a host of roster holes in your opinion keeping them from contending. Ignoring that they, like, already are! Unless you're counting the current cap situation before any post July 1 move on Romo. 

I've countered your claims but apparently they aren't sufficient for you. So shoot, go ahead. 

Yoiu're just picking holes for the sake of picking holes. Nobody has a perfect roster. No matter who you are. 

The top and bottom of this is you naturally don't like Dallas and don't think they're in a position to contend. When if you looked at it from any other standpoint than a Redskin-centric one, you'd see the other side. 

But feel free. You're not disrupting the thread. 

Hail. 

Hmmm gone back and forth on this pick so many times - a pick at the bottom of the 7th round should not need this much agonising over but everyone wants to find that diamond in the rough .. and despite the offers of 2018 picks to try and save my grading---- i think my grading is beyond saving so we are going to swing for the fences and hold on to this pick.. 

And to do that i am going to have to resist the urge to make this final pick purely based upon the most amusing games remaining  in the 2017 class (sorry Money Hunter and Weston Steelhammer) and I am actually going to have to go off my board.. (such that it is) 

I really wanted to go ILB but i am not sure there is anyone who really stands out. I agonized over taking Donnel Pumphrey but I see his game might be maxed out at the College level .. I am concerned about his durability, power and elusiveness at the next level but he was very special at the college level... 

So with some trepidation the Detroit Lions go back to the defensive line and with the 250th pick in the 2017 draft 

Joe 'JoJo' Mathis DE/OLB University of Washington (Sr.)

8 minutes ago, Monk4thaHALL said:

I'd like to see a list of all of cleveland's picks for 2018, just for auditing. 

And you guys should be asking for like two 6ths or a 5th and 7th for dude to trade back in. :)

Just my commentary on trade negotiation tactics. 

2018 Browns picks per 

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.cleveland.com/v1/articles/20295315/what_picks_do_the_browns_have_2.amp

Browns 1st

Browns 2nd, Eagles 2nd (Wentz trade last year), Texans 2nd (Osweiler trade this year)

Browns 3rd

Browns 4th, Panthers 4th (Andy Lee trade)

Browns 5th

Browns 6th, Steelers 6th (Justin Gilbert trade)

Browns 7th

As a result of the ES GM mock draft I've added the following:

Cowboys 1st

Cowboys 2nd

And traded away:

Browns 6th

Which leaves the Browns with the following picks in the 2018 draft:

Browns and Cowboys 1st rounders

Browns, Cowboys, Eagles, and Texans 2nd rounders

Browns 3rd rounder

Browns and Panthers 4th rounders

Browns 5th rounder

Steelers 6th rounder

Browns 7th rounder

12 picks total.

Someone can check me on that to make sure it's accurate.

Why are ya asking?

Ok, I'm absolutely beat and need my bed.

3 picks to go. Cincinnati and then Denver with two back-to-back selections. 

The Bengals have been notified they're currently on the clock. For reference, that time slot is up at 4:25 AM EST.

Finishing 48 hours and more before the actual draft. EXCELLENT work Gentleman. Kudos and thanks to you all. 

Hail. 

34 minutes ago, bedlamVR said:

Hmmm gone back and forth on this pick so many times - a pick at the bottom of the 7th round should not need this much agonising over but everyone wants to find that diamond in the rough .. and despite the offers of 2018 picks to try and save my grading---- i think my grading is beyond saving so we are going to swing for the fences and hold on to this pick.. 

And to do that i am going to have to resist the urge to make this final pick purely based upon the most amusing games remaining  in the 2017 class (sorry Money Hunter and Weston Steelhammer) and I am actually going to have to go off my board.. (such that it is) 

I really wanted to go ILB but i am not sure there is anyone who really stands out. I agonized over taking Donnel Pumphrey but I see his game might be maxed out at the College level .. I am concerned about his durability, power and elusiveness at the next level but he was very special at the college level... 

So with some trepidation the Detroit Lions go back to the defensive line and with the 250th pick in the 2017 draft 

Joe 'JoJo' Mathis DE/OLB University of Washington (Sr.)

ha!  I gave JoJo a look purely based on his name and his bench reps.

This has been a fun follow as an innocent bystander (some might argue 'collateral damage'), thanks for all your effort guys. It put a lot of names on my radar and I feel 100% primed for the draft now, rather than just knowing the top 100 prospects the mainstream media never stops talking about and the offensive skill player sleepers that I absorb on my own. 

Hats off. 

Great job by the commish and all GMs! Thanks for all the hard work!

As I said earlier, but bears repeating, last year finished with several teams not having a GM as they either bailed or in at least one case got banned. This year there were some skips but none was because the GM just blew this off. They were all either due to unlucky timing or life - which has to come first.

Last year was my first and I had a great time. So I was really looking forward to participating again this year. It did not disappoint. Thanks to all involved!

1 hour ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

This has been a fun follow as an innocent bystander (some might argue 'collateral damage'), thanks for all your effort guys. It put a lot of names on my radar and I feel 100% primed for the draft now, rather than just knowing the top 100 prospects the mainstream media never stops talking about and the offensive skill player sleepers that I absorb on my own. 

Hats off. 

As the Broncos had needs at OT and NT, I definitely dug a bit more into those positions in lower rounds.  I must say there are several 2 down Nose Tackle players I expect to be there 4th, 5th, 6th rounds.  There are certainly many names I'll look out for during the draft as a result of this draft.  

So since I have the last 2 picks any votes for who I should make Mr. and Mrs. Irrelevant?

Mr Goddell and Mrs. Mara...

Bruce and Dan...

Kim and Kanye...

If I pick it, it becomes official, right?

5 hours ago, jsharrin55 said:

As the Broncos had needs at OT and NT, I definitely dug a bit more into those positions in lower rounds.  I must say there are several 2 down Nose Tackle players I expect to be there 4th, 5th, 6th rounds.  There are certainly many names I'll look out for during the draft as a result of this draft.  

So since I have the last 2 picks any votes for who I should make Mr. and Mrs. Irrelevant?

Mr Goddell and Mrs. Mara...

Bruce and Dan...

Kim and Kanye...

If I pick it, it becomes official, right?

I suggest these:

1647024480-Waldorf_und_statler_4.jpg

Thanks guys for the kind words. Appreciated. 

Now back to the order of the day .....

*MESSAGE FROM THE LEAGUE OFFICE*

Sadly (mainly from the Bengals standpoint in view of any potential missed targets), we regrettably have our 9th skip of the 2017 NFL Draft and second in Round 7. 

Cincinnati Bengals (@Sea Donkey) will now be skipped by consecutive picks in order as per the rules but can jump back in at any time through the final three picks of the draft. As this is Round 7, they'll obviously be no time violation penalty. If this pick then falls to the last selection of the draft, a further decision will be taken at that time as to how we proceed. 

Cincinnati can still jump back in at any time through the rest of the round to make their selection. 

This now places, with the 33rd Pick in the 7th Round, and 251st overall selection, for the penultimate time in the 2017 NFL Draft

THE DENVER BRONCOS ON THE CLOCK!

Hail.

I'd suggest, if the Broncos/ @jsharrin55 get to make the next pick, they then wait on their final one to give the Bengals a chance to get back on and round out their draft in person. Be a shame at this late stage to make a pick for him.  

But of course if Denver wants to straight up pick back-to-back that's fine and their prerogative

Hail. 

1 hour ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

I'd suggest, if the Broncos/ @jsharrin55 get to make the next pick, they then wait on their final one to give the Bengals a chance to get back on and round out their draft in person. Be a shame at this late stage to make a pick for him.  

But of course if Denver wants to straight up pick back-to-back that's fine and their prerogative

Hail. 

Half of his time happen night time for @Sea Donkey so that would be a kind gesture from @jsharrin55.

And I can understand wanting to pick Mr. Irrelevant. It's always cool :)

My apologies for holding this thing up.  Sleep is at a premium at my house right now with two young kids...

And a big thank you to GHH and everyone else who helped with the mock draft.  i enjoyed it as always.

The Cincinnati Bengals select: LaQuan Lambert, Safety-Lehigh University.

Enjoy the real draft people.  Hope we kill it this year.

Archived