Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who has had a better film career? Stallone or Schwarzenegger?

Ron78

Who has had a better film career?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Who has had a better film career?

• Sylvester Stallone
    • Arnold Schwarzenegger

These guys dominated the action film genre in the 80's.  Who had a better body of work throughout their career?

Sylvester Stallone Highlights:

Rocky franchise

• First Blood/Rambo franchise
  • Tango & Cash
  • Demolition Man
  • Judge Dredd
  • Cop Land
  • Expendables franchise

Arnold Schwarzenegger Highlights:

Terminator franchise

Conan franchise

Predator

Total Recall

Twins

Commando

The Running Man

I give it to Arnold. He had a tougher road, overall resume is better. 

Bill Burr said it best: "Anybody here think they could move to Austria, learn the language, become famous for working out, then be a movie star, then marry into their royalty and hold public office?"

Obviously that goes beyond his movie career, but when you consider all of it his movie career is all he more impressive.

5 minutes ago, spjunkies said:

EXTREMELY close, but i'm going with Sly. The Rocky franchise gives him the edge in my mind.

Yeah, Rocky is one of my top five movie franchises of all time.  I love those movies, and they push Stallone ahead for me, but both guys have produced some classic films.

1 minute ago, Riggo-toni said:

I'd put Nighthawks, FIST, or Death Race 2000 over gawdawful crap like Tango and Cash or Demolition Man.

Likewise, True Lies was one of Ahnold's best, but didn't make your list.

Demolition Man definitely wasn't my favorite, but it was a very popular movie.  Tango & Cash was absolutely awesome and it deserved a sequel.

Never saw True Lies all the way through, but what I did see didn't really capture my interest.

For me, Arnold easily wins, Arnold always wins.  T2, and Predator are the two films that all action movies still try to replicate (Matrix was added to the pantheon).  T2 is the best action film ever made, and of course Arnold is the centerpiece, but that is still in tandem with other monumental talents like Cameron and Hamilton.  Predator is Arnold's most impressive feat, because he's the only human being in history that could pull that film off, it's a once in human history occurrence.

Arnold, at his acting peak, was the most convincing alpha male you could ever put in front of a camera, because he was an undefeated Mr Olympia who had the physical stature to stand up against anyone, in an era where that type of body composition was genuinely strived for, making him the best of a, then, desired list.  Mr. Olympias are often smaller in stature, so while jacked, still aren't necessarily convincing alpha males if put up against people such as, Charlton Heston, Clint Eastwood, Harrison Ford, etc. And nevermind the capability of acting.  Arnold is what made absurd musculature cool, in today's era, it's considered humorous. Further, the reverse process of an actor going through a rigorous weight training regimen for a brief moment in time to be jacked for a role is also more synthetic since you know deep down they aren't as jacked as they are truly representing, it's more a symbolic closeness you are forced to accept.  Arnold is the only one that truly fit the part, he's what made the part.

Think about the masculinity that Arnold pulls off in Predator, Xzibit style.  He is the alpha male among alphas males, while the galaxy's most alpha male systematically kills a list of Earth's alpha males, Earth's most alpha male kills the Galaxy's alpha male, making Arnold the ****ing alpha male of the whole Galaxy. 

Even Sly was an imposter to a certain degree, but his career isn't necessarily predicated on Jacked-only roles.  My personal favorite film he's in is Cop Land,  he's fantastic in that, and is a truly underrated gem.  That would be the movie I'd miss the most if you erased his career.

2 minutes ago, Taco Bell said:

For me, Arnold easily wins, Arnold always wins.  T2, and Predator are the two films that all action movies still try to replicate (Matrix was added to the pantheon).  T2 is the best action film ever made, and of course Arnold is the centerpiece, but that is still in tandem with other monumental talents like Cameron and Hamilton.  Predator is Arnold's most impressive feat, because he's the only human being in history that could pull that film off, it's a once in human history occurrence.

Arnold, at his acting peak, was the most convincing alpha male you could ever put in front of a camera, because he was an undefeated Mr Olympia who had the physical stature to stand up against anyone, in an era where that type of body composition was genuinely strived for, making him the best of a, then, desired list.  Mr. Olympias are often smaller in stature, so while jacked, still aren't necessarily convincing alpha males if put up against people such as, Charlton Heston, Clint Eastwood, Harrison Ford, etc. And nevermind the capability of acting.  Arnold is what made absurd musculature cool, in today's era, it's considered humorous. Further, the reverse process of an actor going through a rigorous weight training regimen for a brief moment in time to be jacked for a role is also more synthetic since you know deep down they aren't as jacked as they are truly representing, it's more a symbolic closeness you are forced to accept.  Arnold is the only one that truly fit the part, he's what made the part.

Think about the masculinity that Arnold pulls off in Predator, Xzibit style.  He is the alpha male among alphas males, while the galaxy's most alpha male systematically kills a list of Earth's alpha males, Earth's most alpha male kills the Galaxy's alpha male, making Arnold the ****ing alpha male of the whole Galaxy. 

Even Sly was an imposter to a certain degree, but his career isn't necessarily predicated on Jacked-only roles.  My personal favorite film he's in is Cop Land,  he's fantastic in that, and is a truly underrated gem.  That would be the movie I'd miss the most if you erased his career.

Stallone is a better, more versatile actor.  He also was nominated for and won oscars.

1 minute ago, Ron78 said:

Stallone is a better, more versatile actor.  He also was nominated for and won oscars.

Sly never won an oscar, was just nominated a few times, but Arnold doesn't need an oscar to prove his influence on the film industry.  Harrison Ford is who I think is the better competitor for Arnold in this discussion.  Sly indeed has more versatile credentials on paper, but Arnold pulled off roles no one else will ever do. Arnold is by far the more once in a lifetime figure.  I go with Arnold.  Sly is certainly amazing but more in the jack(ed) of all trades type of way.  Arnold's highest highs are untouchable.  Arnold is numero uno.

Arnold:  When I  think of his best movies, I think of Terminator, of course.  But I also think of two that I think are under appreciated:  True Lies and Last Action Hero.  

I think one thing I liked about his career was those moments when he made fun of the genre.  (And, sometimes, himself).  

Stallone:  I have to confess, I haven't seen even one Rocky movie.  (I've seen maybe half of the first one, in pieces, here and there.)  Many of the ones I have seen, I really didn't like much.  (For example, First Blood?  To me, Stallone's character was in the wrong.  I was at least halfway cheering for the cops.)  

I suspect that Stallone might well be the best actor of the two.  But Arnold has made the movies that I liked a lot better.  And I think that he has demonstrated a great acting ability.  Yeah, he's created this archetype for himself.  But I think his ability to satire that same archetype speaks well that it is acting, and very well done.  

Heck, I think Arnold owns what I consider to be the best movie trailer I've ever seen.  Who else could have a trailer that consists simply of this, that worked so well?  

Heck, all it tells me is:  

Terminator 2

Schwartznegger

They built more than one.  

And I instantly decided "I'm going to see that movie".  

16 minutes ago, Ron78 said:

Agreed.  I love Arnold, but Sly is a way better actor.  Better stunt man too, and he's also a solid director.  His performances in Rocky and First Blood were a lot better than Arnold's performances in the first two Terminators (Arnold's only legitimately great movies).

But part of me enjoys Arnold's movies more.  There was a run in the 90's from Last Action Hero to Collateral Damage where every movie he made except for True Lies was complete garbage, and I love all of them.  And his 1980's movies are all classics which define the big dumb action movie genre.

I'd say Stallone had the better career, just due to him being more versatile. Actor, writer, director, he's done it all.

That being said: I'll take Arnold's filmography every single time. Give me the choice to only watch the movies of one of them and it's no contest: T1&2, Predator, and Last Action Hero are more enjoyable to me than anything Stallone has done.

1 minute ago, GhostofSparta said:

I'd say Stallone had the better career, just due to him being more versatile. Actor, writer, director, he's done it all.

That being said: I'll take Arnold's filmography every single time. Give me the choice to only watch the movies of one of them and it's no contest: T1&2, Predator, and Last Action Hero are more enjoyable to me than anything Stallone has done.

For me, the Rocky film series is the best thing that either of them did.  I can watch those movies in loops when they have marathons.

1 hour ago, Riggo-toni said:

I'd put Nighthawks, FIST, or Death Race 2000 over gawdawful crap like Tango and Cash or Demolition Man.

Likewise, True Lies was one of Ahnold's best, but didn't make your list.

You're right, objectively speaking.  Nevertheless Tango and Cash and Demolition Man are two of my favorite Sly movies.  Same for Judge Dredd and Over The Top.

Cliffhanger also deserves a mention.  That movie is awesome and the stunt work holds up as the best in either star's filmography IMO.  Although what Stallone did as an old timer in the Expendables movies is impressive as hell too.  As great a body builder as Arnold was, Stallone was a better athlete.

Archived