Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2017 Baltimore Orioles Thread - We suck again!

MattFancy

That window is slowly closing.  Have to see how the rest of the winter shakes out, but they overachieved last year, IMO. 

Aging roster with bad contracts.  On top of it all, we most likely have 2 more years of Manny before he moves on. 

Also, Keith Law ranked us the #25 in MLB as far as farm systems.  We're not the worst, so there's that. 

This is a big defining season for this franchise. If they start slow, unload everyone and start from scratch. However, if they're in contention at the break, I think it makes sense to go all-in and take advantage of it. Not sure how many more seasons Buck probably has in him at this point.

4 hours ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I agree and believe that's a huge problem. DD and Buck are here for two more years and appear willing to go all-in to squeeze every last win out of those two years, even if it significantly damages our long-term outlook. That's an issue. Someone who has some post-2018 skin in the game needs to be involved in these decisions. 

There are a few like Gary Rajsich (Scouting Director), others in that department and the likes of Brady Anderson. The good thing right now is that there is only one kinda bad contract on the books with Chris Davis so they will have a ton of money available. It would be a good thing if they got an extension with Tillman done and maybe decided to be proactive with Schoop. I won't even bother mentioning Manny or Britton because I think the O's won't re-sign either.

I think Davis will have a big season but I would trade him in a heartbeat if it helped keep Manny. Using their ages going into 2018 Imagine if they had Sisco (22), Mancini (26), Schoop (26) (with at 2nd or 3rd) Manny (25) at short and whomever at 2nd or 3rd going into 2018. You'd have an infield that would cost around $50 million tops if you throw in Wellington (30) to be there with Sisco and they would all be on the right side of 30. That's how Manny is affordable and how you build. The outfield would be Jones (32), Rickard (26) with two spots to fill with Trumbo (32) if necessary or at DH.

You could have Tillman (29), Gausman (27), Bundy (25) at the top of the rotation with some guys like Akin (22), Sedlock (22), Lee (25) and others hopefully competing for spots and it's easy to see how the team could continue to contend while transitioning to younger players. 

Did not like the davis deal. Do like the Trumbo deal. 

We need starting pitching and a leadoff hitter. The starting pitching has a chance to develop with gausman and bundy. However these are the same problems that have been plaguing the orioles for some time. 

Won't win it all without it; my patience is thin. 

14 hours ago, TheDoyler23 said:

I think Davis has an excellent year and is our second best bat. 

Btw the 2003 opening day snow game is on MASN now. That roster, especially before Roberts and Mora took starting roles, was pretty rough! Deivi Cruz and Tony Batista... yikes. 

I think Davis is likely to produce fairly well for most of his contract. The guy takes care of himself and, even in his down years, he has produced good numbers. The problem for Davis is that his contract will be tied to Manny leaving if that is what happens. It's totally unfair but that's what will happen. 

• 2 weeks later...
50 minutes ago, TheDoyler23 said:

Pitchers and catchers in 5 days! 

Of course PECOTA doesn't think much of our ballclub. 

It just goes to show you how dumb some algorithms can be or how poorly they are written. It's staggering how wrong they have been on the O's yet keep using it. 

On Friday, January 27, 2017 at 6:47 PM, TheDoyler23 said:

So annoyed that both House of Cards and Better Call Saul have way late seasons this year. I NEED SOMETHING TO BRIDGE THE GAP BETWEEN FOOTBALL AND BASEBALL! 

So far from April 3rd...

Ironically this is why I'm giving baseball a go.  This will be my first year ever watching "the American pastime."  American football is the only sport I really follow, outside of international football/soccer and MMA.  Needless to say when The NFL season ends there's not much sports action going on for me.  If this baseball fad, I'm going through, sticks it can help levity my sports withdraw.  

Before I always thought the sport was "just hit a ball with a stick and make it to a base."  Didn't seem that exciting looking through that lens.  However, when I starting hearing about the strategy and intellectual skill that went behind it my ears perked up a bit more.  I've been reading a myriad of books to understand the strategic aspects of the game and asking, my more knowledgeable, BB mates about it as well.  The more I read about how the game is really played the more I get into it.  I never thought I'd say this but I am actually excited for the MLB season to start. :)

So, I'm a life-long O's fan, but don't follow them as much these days.

Loved last season as they were fun to watch.

Can anyone give a quick run-down as to where they are strong/need players?  Any FA out there that could make a difference?

How 'bout them O's?!?!

2 hours ago, btfoom said:

So, I'm a life-long O's fan, but don't follow them as much these days.

Loved last season as they were fun to watch.

Can anyone give a quick run-down as to where they are strong/need players?  Any FA out there that could make a difference?

How 'bout them O's?!?!

The Orioles provide a power packed lineup that will strike out a lot but also hit a lot of home runs.  The infield defense is strong, especially on the left side at 3b and SS even though Hardy is aging.  The outfield defense is pretty weak, especially at the corners.  

The bullpen has been and still should be a strength, anchored by a closer that didn't blow a save all last season (Zach Britton) who has one of the nastiest pitches in the game (sinker).  The rotation is spotty but has a solid starter (Tillman) with two guys that have electric stuff and have a high ceiling (Bundy, Gausman) who can really help this team get somewhere this season.  

Archived