Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How Good Would It Feel To Knock Dallas Off In The Playoffs

Veryoldschool

Week two Kirk Cousins's inaccuracy and Phillips in the slot caused us the game. Thanksgiving we let the crowd into it early and it took too long to recover from the first half jitters. I strongly believe the Skins are at the very least the biggest threat to the cowboys in the NFC in the playoffs (with the Buccaneers being second and Atlanta as well). Kirk has their ****ing number, If we can fix some of our protections (especially in the interior) vs them I think we could run away from them in a 3rd game. 

My reasoning for the Buccaneers being DANGEROUS and a bad match-up for Dallas is this. They are a team that was banged up in the beginning of the season on the defensive line especially. They have holes at safety but their CBs are playing GREAT at the moment and they plugged Mccoy in at DE and he has looked unstoppable with Noah Spence on the other side and now Lavonte David playing inspired. The cowboys in the games I have watched have had EXCELLENT pass protection. Especially on third down. Now, with that being said, I think Tampa's ATHLETICISM on defensive line with Noah Spence and Mccoy at DE could spell trouble for Prescott and the cowboys. Offensively Tampa is good too, they are a unpredictable group who has moments of confusing conservatism and entire games of deep TDs and chunk yardage. They are streaky in other words, but when they get going I feel like Koetter gets really aggressive.

Anyways I'm a Skins fan so I hope it is us who smacks them and Bucs are on the couch watching.

5 hours ago, THEHEREAFTER said:

This is awesome!  Just import and replace your entire defense with Minnesota's and this is realistic! 

Its week 12 and these players *should* be able to get into position faster from a disguised scheme. I haven't seen allot of pre-snap movement from the skins D. Time to take some risks and grow as a unit. Dallas carved them up they way they played it.

If you didn't understand what I was saying..thats on you not me.

As our team learned last year, playoffs are a different beast. In my opinion, Dallas has had every break imaginable fall their way ALL season. To their credit, they capitalized. (Even Romo getting hurt early was a break, looking back as it gave Dak reps that would have gone to an aging tin man early and often). They are far more likely to be one and done than to advance to the SB. I would want to be the team that pisses on their dreams and knocks them out. That would be better than beating them in a championship game.

Dream scenario would be to then beat the Giants behind that, but that would be gravy from an "F our rivals" standpoint.

if we get to the playoffs healthy this year, I like our chances against anyone. No dominate team, despite the Cowboys' fortuitous record. We can score on anyone.

If these teams meet for a third time this year, I am very confident that the Redskins will win. The Redskins could have won both games but late-game mistakes and missed scoring opportunities did them in. Three times a charm and the Redskins will put it together. Dallas has been getting a lot of breaks during their win-streak but that pendulum is bound to start swinging the other way--just in time for the playoffs.

15 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

What he meant was that he would take both Washington & Seattle right now to beat the Cowboys in the playoffs should the Cowboys run into either one of them.

That's a bold statement. I wouldn't feel bad about our chances, but to say I'd pick us right now is a stretch. Seattle I understand due to the experience factor, etc. 

wow, we've only played them twice in the playoffs? Coulda sworn it had to be more than that in 50-ish years. However, this is all I could find.

1972 - December 31    Washington Redskins    26-3    Dallas Cowboys
1982 - January 22    Washington Redskins    31–17    Dallas Cowboys

I saw this on the Cowboys' message board...it's about teams their fan base wants to win/lose the rest of the way.

I noticed a "trend" of sorts in posters' comments when talking about the Redskins lol:

" Why do we still care about the Eagles? Redskins are a better team. This makes no sense. I'd rather play Tampa than Washington in January."

"I'd rather play philly than Washington "

"Still looking like Giants will get 5, Wash 6"

"Not sure about that because this scenario below seems very likely
skins beat cards and eagles to move to 8-4-1
giants lose to steelers and cowboys to fall to 8-5"

" I want the Skins out of the play off picture."

"Ummm...you guys do know that no matter whether the skins finish w the 5 or 6 seed..there's still a chance they play Dallas in the divisional round right? Your best bet is to root for the skins to miss the playoffs altogether..."

" I fear teams most that have a good quarterback, lots of weapons and a pass rush."

"I want the Skins out as soon as possible. "

"I don't want to play the Skins again, they are a horrible matchup for our defense. They are one of the few teams that can put 30 on us with no problem. I really don't want to go into a playoff game knowing my offense has to put up 31 points at a minimum, especially with a rookie QB and a rookie HB. Would rather play Tampa."

"If the Redskins make the playoffs they will most likely be the 6th seed which at this point means we would have to play them at some point. I dont want to play the Redskins again! "

"They are a bad match up for us. I'd rather they lose to the Cards. They don't have Jordan Reed tomorrow. "

"I agree with the consensus that WSH and ATL are our worse matchups, due to their pure vertical attack."

"They are winning at least 4 of their last five."

"The skins' passing game represents one of the real threats to Dallas in the playoffs because it matches up against their biggest weakness. I'd much rather see the eagles get in and have to play them over the skins. "

27 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

I saw this on the Cowboys' message board...it's about teams their fan base wants to win/lose the rest of the way.

I noticed a "trend" of sorts in posters' comments when talking about the Redskins lol:

" Why do we still care about the Eagles? Redskins are a better team. This makes no sense. I'd rather play Tampa than Washington in January."

"I'd rather play philly than Washington "

"Still looking like Giants will get 5, Wash 6"

"Not sure about that because this scenario below seems very likely
skins beat cards and eagles to move to 8-4-1
giants lose to steelers and cowboys to fall to 8-5"

" I want the Skins out of the play off picture."

"Ummm...you guys do know that no matter whether the skins finish w the 5 or 6 seed..there's still a chance they play Dallas in the divisional round right? Your best bet is to root for the skins to miss the playoffs altogether..."

" I fear teams most that have a good quarterback, lots of weapons and a pass rush."

"I want the Skins out as soon as possible. "

"I don't want to play the Skins again, they are a horrible matchup for our defense. They are one of the few teams that can put 30 on us with no problem. I really don't want to go into a playoff game knowing my offense has to put up 31 points at a minimum, especially with a rookie QB and a rookie HB. Would rather play Tampa."

"If the Redskins make the playoffs they will most likely be the 6th seed which at this point means we would have to play them at some point. I dont want to play the Redskins again! "

"They are a bad match up for us. I'd rather they lose to the Cards. They don't have Jordan Reed tomorrow. "

"I agree with the consensus that WSH and ATL are our worse matchups, due to their pure vertical attack."

"They are winning at least 4 of their last five."

"The skins' passing game represents one of the real threats to Dallas in the playoffs because it matches up against their biggest weakness. I'd much rather see the eagles get in and have to play them over the skins. "

Good stuff Califan.  And it sure does represent what many of us feel in our bones.  If the stars align and give us a 3rd at-bat against The Hated Rival, we got 'em!

That would represent that Signature Win for Gruden/Cousins & company, and it ain't even close.  Talk about some sweet serendipity if those events come to pass!!

Confidence seems to be running high here; is that a good or bad thing?  What are some possibly setting themselves up for?

Yes, it would be great to knock them out of the playoffs, but respect?;  it won't come.

The media will be all over this, with claims of Dallas choking, rookies collapsing under pressure, Redskins didn't win, Dallas lost, etc etc. The sympathy given to them would be mind-blowing to say the least. Any and every excuse will be said, which will then turn to the Redskins not being deserving of advancing.

it sucks in a way, the media is drooling for them to make it to the big dance, and the Redskins could end up getting the Seattle treatment of being a team people frown on.

With that being said, I say kick the living **** outta the Cowboys, shun the media as much as they can, and tell every Cowboys fan to go **** a goat. If we end up being frowned upon by the media, may as well play the part, Academy Award-style...

6 hours ago, skins island connection said:

Confidence seems to be running high here; is that a good or bad thing?  What are some possibly setting themselves up for?

Yes, it would be great to knock them out of the playoffs, but respect?;  it won't come.

The media will be all over this, with claims of Dallas choking, rookies collapsing under pressure, Redskins didn't win, Dallas lost, etc etc. The sympathy given to them would be mind-blowing to say the least. Any and every excuse will be said, which will then turn to the Redskins not being deserving of advancing.

it sucks in a way, the media is drooling for them to make it to the big dance, and the Redskins could end up getting the Seattle treatment of being a team people frown on.

With that being said, I say kick the living **** outta the Cowboys, shun the media as much as they can, and tell every Cowboys fan to go **** a goat. If we end up being frowned upon by the media, may as well play the part, Academy Award-style...

It really doesn't matter at all what we think. It's all about the players. If they are as over confident as we appear to be then it's a problem. However, having been beat by them twice, if these guys are taking them lightly or somehow over confident they deserve the beating they will most likely take.

As for us being a target of media trashing - that should only go to galvanize the team - get that us against the world mentality. That goes a long way to get players to over-achieve.

The game today will tell us an awful lot about the team and if there really is a chance to make the playoffs and then make some noise when we get there. This is our toughest game left along with probably the giants. AZ is a shell of the team that looked poised to make a SB run at the end of last year. But they are still a very dangerous team with their backs against the wall at home. With the Redskins coming off a terrible loss to a div rival, today will tell how much they really want it. We are the better team right now. No need to be a blowout. Another close pull it out at the end is more like it. AZ still has a great D. But these are the types of games you have to find a way to get a W. Whatever it takes - A STs play, a Def score, force them to make a mistake. We need to make those few plays that change a game. Get a W and we are a virtual lock for the POs. Lose, and it could get bleak really quick.

BTW: We need to be huge Chargers fans today! Tampa is our biggest threat right now.

49 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

@Califan007 that post is awesome!!! Thank you!

@skins island connection "is it a good or bad thing"??? Are you serious? You must be young and not remember how good we were. We use to walk 10 feet tall into every single game knowing we could win.

We are building a perennial winner. Get use to it. Enjoy it.

Oh, I was well aware and just turned the legal age to drink when we won it all back in the early 80's, trust me.

But, maybe you aren't psychologically aware of the huge difference in the media back then compared to today.

During the greatest decade EVER, yes we did walk 10 feet tall into every stadium and kick opponent's asses all over it, BUT, we were looked at a little differently than today; no, a lot differently. Dallas wasn't the media darlings like they are today. Even in all of the bad years Dallas had throughout the last 25-ish years, as the media grew in size and types, there's been a more sympathetic view of them, and when they DO get lucky and make the playoffs, they are absolutely praised up and down.

I believe Dallas will fall in the playoffs; to whom I don't know. But the Redskins have suffered through years of jokes and ridicule, a battle to keep their name, the trademark issue, etc.  all of that will be re-hashed come playoff time, especially if we win the first playoff game. My point was more of a general statement to ignore the outside static and focus on football, but we all know how the media loves to dig up a story, whether true or fake.

6 minutes ago, skins island connection said:

Oh, I was well aware and just turned the legal age to drink when we won it all back in the early 80's, trust me.

But, maybe you aren't psychologically aware of the huge difference in the media back then compared to today.

During the greatest decade EVER, yes we did walk 10 feet tall into every stadium and kick opponent's asses all over it, BUT, we were looked at a little differently than today; no, a lot differently. Dallas wasn't the media darlings like they are today. Even in all of the bad years Dallas had throughout the last 25-ish years, as the media grew in size and types, there's been a more sympathetic view of them, and when they DO get lucky and make the playoffs, they are absolutely praised up and down.

I believe Dallas will fall in the playoffs; to whom I don't know. But the Redskins have suffered through years of jokes and ridicule, a battle to keep their name, the trademark issue, etc.  all of that will be re-hashed come playoff time, especially if we win the first playoff game. My point was more of a general statement to ignore the outside static and focus on football, but we all know how the media loves to dig up a story, whether true or fake.

Redskins fans believing in their team and feeling like every game is winnable is always a good thing.

Nothing bad comes from optimism.

Our optimism and believing we can win, will only help the team.

Back when fans were mailing in ridiculous fan cards and constantly booing, think that encourages teams to play hard or want to be Redskins?

I agree; there's nothing wrong with believing; hell, I believe, big time.  Its a different, sort of 'new' feeling that we're not used to, with the Redskins not being smack dab in the middle of mediocrity, they're actually being seriously considered to be a threat to every team, including Dallas.

What I was referring to wasn't fan-oriented, but media-oriented. If we end up playing Dallas, and win, the media will be negative towards the Redskins, because their darlings got knocked out of the playoffs. In the 80's, the Redskins had a ton of respect from every team and most football fans, and a lot of it had to do with character and playing at a high level year in and out.  But today the media is totally biased, and the different attack topics that will arise if we continue to march in the playoffs will grow week by week.

It could be distracting to the players, maybe not, but it will happen; how the team responds to it will show how far or close they are.

Archived