Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2017 Comprehensive NFL Draft Thread

Dukes and Skins

Davis is a flawed prospect, but the passion drips off the screen. You can see he's a straightline, build up speed guy. As shown, once he commits to a full speed straightline attack, a little juke can get him. But when he lines you up, he'll pop you. And his top gear speed is pretty good. There's likely a legitimate question on his pass coverage awareness. 

There's no lack of effort. Intensity is the word that comes to mind when describing Davis. 

Davis isn't the singular answer, alone, in of himself for us at LB. But for ILB, I feel like it's a position where you want bring in a couple of options. So, if a rare prospect aligns for an early selection, cool. But bringing in a mid-round guy like Davis just increases your odds of turning the unit around. 

I'm willing to bet he'll have a great game this season. This tape wasn't his best. 

59 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

McCaffery usually ducks under big hits.  Defenders target him and try and knock him out but he breaks down fast and presents a small target.  He's a strong little guy too.  And well conditioned.  That's how he's able to handle such an extraordinarily high work load for the position.

His dad was a fitness/diet freak too, right? Obsessed with proper rest and recovery and all that long before it became really mainstream

5 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

McCaffery is my favorite player to watch.  I would go nuts if we drafted him in the first round.  We might never have a defense worth a damn but the offense would be incredible.

I think he pairs well with Jones, too. The only problem would actually be if Jones really developed so that they would each be too good to share the position. But I don't really see that happening.

13 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

McCaffery is my favorite player to watch.  I would go nuts if we drafted him in the first round.  We might never have a defense worth a damn but the offense would be incredible.

Big fan fan too ... but concerned that McCaffery's skillset might not translate that well to NFL.  

What say you?

6 hours ago, Gregpeck99 said:

Big fan fan too ... but concerned that McCaffery's skillset might not translate that well to NFL.  

What say you?

I think he'll translate.  I don't think you have to do a lot of projection with him.  He's got a ton of snaps in a really complex and multiple NFL style offense, so he's been able to produce a lot of good film running NFL patterns and NFL run designs.  Lots of inside zone and power runs plus all of the outside zones and cut back runs as well as the typical stuff from the shotgun.  He excels at all of it.  And he brings the unusual dimension of being a deadly kick/punt returner to the table.

Biggest thing going for him is the creativity.  You see him make two and three defenders behind or at the LoS miss at a routine clip.  He's extremely efficient and giving him feature back touches means he breaks yardage records.

And I think he'd be a really good fit in our offense.  He's the kind of running back you want when you have a coach that doesn't trust or have a feel for the running game.

6 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Know you didn't ask me, but I think he's tailor-made for this era of football. He's kinda like Brian Westbrook.

I can see Westbrook in his style.  I also see a rich man's Jahvid Best and Ameer Abdullah.  Similarly explosive and creative, but he's got better vision than them.  Has the hands and route running and lateral speed that Best had.  But Jahvid had a bad knack for taking the big hit and came into the NFL with a devastating injury in his history.  He was an upright, somewhat carefree runner with a top heavy build very similar to Jamison Crowder's.  McCaffery is built more like a traditional RB--more compact and stronger--and he has a really decisive style where runs behind his pads and keeps his hips on a swivel to roll with tackles.  He's the opposite in that he has a knack for avoiding knock out shots.

So yeah, I definitely see the basis for the Westbrook comparison.

It's so amazingly simple the way the seahawks go about getting pressure. So simple, it's stupid. They line our boy Frank Clark, @Gibbs Hog Heaven, up in the A-Gap, he blows between the Center and Guard and creates immediate pressure, gets the sack, takes the Rams out of FG range, punt. 

Why can't we get that player, first of all, likewise, why can't we get a coaching staff that is willing to put the 4 best, 5 best, passrushers we have, in any alignment, out there and create a situation where an "OLB" is shooting interior gaps and creating that immediate pressure which screws up every QB in this league?

Looking around the NFL, I just never see the kind-of running lanes that McCaff sees weekly at Stanford. It won't be nearly as wide open, especially here.

Additionally, it's hard to look at the out of the backfield pass catching element and not already relegate McCaff to situational scatback, which shouldn't command elite investment. 

I'm a big USC guy.  Went to the Alabama game in Dallas, and have been a fan all of my life.  I'm on record saying Sua is a linebacker, and I'm thrilled that's where he is playing with us.  A couple things to touch on:

1. Stay away from Juju.  

2. McCaffrey is electric in cfb.  I'm not sure if it will translate into the nfl, but it's worth a shot.  I think he's an early 2nd round type talent.  But he can play, I know that for sure.  

2 hours ago, Monk4thaHALL said:

Looking around the NFL, I just never see the kind-of running lanes that McCaff sees weekly at Stanford. It won't be nearly as wide open, especially here.

You're exaggerating the quality of the Stanford line.  They're good, but they're not special.  They're not in the same class as Alabama, LSU, FSU, Ohio State, USC, Notre Dame, etc.

This is elite creativity:

http://i.imgur.com/1Zt3VhX.gifv

http://i.imgur.com/PR7IiGb.gifv

http://i.imgur.com/CmRHMwU.gifv

http://i.imgur.com/he4gGGl.gifv

Archived