Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CT.com: KFC's Secret Recipe Revealed!!?!

Dan T.

Colonel Harland Sanders never spilled the beans about those 11 herbs and spices in his fried chicken recipe that made him a fortune.

But last week, apparently, his nephew did.

Joe Ledington, 67, met with a Chicago Tribune reporter at the Harland Sanders Cafe and Museum in Corbin, Kentucky, to help publicize the restored restaurant there.  Ledington brought along a scrapbook and the two were flipping through the pages.  In the scrapbook was his aunt's last will and testament.  When they got to the last page, they found a handwritten note.  It looked like a recipe:

ct-tlfl-kfc-recipe-note-travel-jpg-20160

"That is the original 11 herbs and spices that were supposed to be so secretive," nephew Joe told reporter Jay Jones. He later tried to walk back that comment.  And when the Chicago Tribune contacted parent company Yum Brands, they more or less dismissed it too. 

The Tribune's test kitchen fried up some chicken using the recipe and reported that it was really good, better than the KFC stuff according to the taste testers.  Then they did another batch with MSG added and the testers called it an exact match to the finger lickin' good chicken.

So there you go.  Fry up some chicken this weekend and see for yourself.  Or just get carryout from Popeyes.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/lifestyles/travel/ct-kfc-recipe-revealed-20160818-story.html

I'll always have a soft spot for KFC, the fried chicken of my youth.  Popeye's is better, no doubt.  But every once in awhile, I go back to KFC for a taste of nostalgia.

I do want to try this recipe, just to see how close it is to Colonel Sanders' chicken.  Even though frying is such a messy pain in the ass.

BTW, while we're on the subject of fried chicken joints, a shout out to BonChon Chicken. That's stuff is like crack. Also, in Richmond, Lee's Famous Recipe Chicken, walking distance from Redskins training camp, is not bad either.

(It's a wonder I can maintain my girlish figure.)

I will say KFC's original popcorn chicken in the early 90's was the bomb.  The chunks of chicken were rolled into their seasonings/herbs/spices flour mixture and then deep fried.  It's much better than the terrible, generic, breaded popcorn chicken that everyone sells these days.

I used to work at KFC, I think it was pretty easy to figure out whatever was in there, lol.

But when I do fry my own chicken, I marinade it in whatever spices and then I just dip it in buttermilk and then regular flour.  I've never been a fan of added the spices to the flour.  I don't think it holds the flavor as well.

Archived