Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CT.com: KFC's Secret Recipe Revealed!!?!

Dan T.

there used to be a tiny joint in the middle of a safeway parking lot in mclean called holly farms.... i only remember it smelling like heaven, and it was the first place i ever had potato wedges (but they called it something else).   

those were heaven.  I begged my dad to get them every time i had him alone.  i dont remember if we got the chicken too, or not, or if i liked it....but those ****ing potatoes.   pure crack  

---------------------------------------------------

also... when i was  kid there were no Kentucky Fried Chicken restaurants near me.... but they franchised out their chicken, or their recipe, or whatever, to a place called Ginos (i'm not sure of the spelling)

but as a kid the only fast food i USUALLY got was an occasional filet-o-fish on fridays during lent.   diu vivere in ieiunium cibum.

Just now, mcsluggo said:

also... when i was  kid there were no Kentucky Fried Chicken restaurants near me.... but they franchised out their chicken, or their recipe, or whatever, to a place called Ginos (i'm not sure of the spelling)

It was Gino's, I remember! That was when it tasted best, imo. 

3 hours ago, mcsluggo said:

but as a kid the only fast food i USUALLY got was an occasional filet-o-fish on fridays during lent.   diu vivere in ieiunium cibum.

Jesus, sounds like they damn near did everything except lock you away like Harry Potter. Bet they let Predicto have everything he wanted

Gino's Restaurants were named after, and owned in part, by former Baltimore Colt Gino Marchetti, along with former teammate, running back Don Ameche.  The first one opened in Dundalk, Maryland in 1959.  In 1967 they merged with 16 DC area Top's Drive-Ins.  The mid-Atlantic stores were licensed to sell Kentucky Fried Chicken.  They kept expanding and had 359 locations when they were bought out in 1982 by the Marriott Corporation.  Marriott discontinued the Gino's brand and converted many of the locations to Roy Rogers.  The last Gino's, owned independently from Marriott, closed in Pasadena, Maryland in 1986. 

I'm a contrarian.  KFC Original Recipe is my favorite fast food fried chicken.   Most of the others are way too bready, especially Popeyes.  

Sad truth.   We also had no sugar cereal - only stuff like Bran Buds.   

Which explains why we ate 6 bowls of Captain Crunch for breakfast every time we slept over at a relative's house.  

there used to be a tiny joint in the middle of a safeway parking lot in mclean called holly farms.... i only remember it smelling like heaven, and it was the first place i ever had potato wedges (but they called it something else).   

those were heaven.  I begged my dad to get them every time i had him alone.  i dont remember if we got the chicken too, or not, or if i liked it....but those ****ing potatoes.   pure crack  

Oh damn they were good.  So freaking good.   

Since we're discussing all things chicken *and waffles*...

Gladys Knight has filed suit against her son, wants her name off the restaurants her son has been running.  Their location in downtown (which looks beautiful, really) scored a 58 earlier this year on it's health inspection, has upgraded to a 90.  She still wants her name removed, as they are in arrears in taxes and whatnot. 

I saw an interview with the GM of that location a few months ago...they do $100,000 per week in sales. 

Off topic: I never can get the crunch Im after.. I like to deep fry thin strips of breast (Think Popeye's Wicked Chicken) and it only takes 4 minutes or so at 350* to cook, so I don't think it has time to get really crispy? Have tried the store bought recipes as well as the internet stuff. (ie: triple dip, etc) and it's good, but not that crunchy/crispy crust like Popeyes or KFC..

Side note: Yes, Holly Farms was the bomb!! They had one in the Safeway parking lot in Manassas Park too.. I still make hushpuppies whenever I do deep fry.. Emmm, is it lunchtime yet? :)

12 hours ago, GoDeep81 said:

Off topic: I never can get the crunch Im after.. I like to deep fry thin strips of breast (Think Popeye's Wicked Chicken) and it only takes 4 minutes or so at 350* to cook, so I don't think it has time to get really crispy? Have tried the store bought recipes as well as the internet stuff. (ie: triple dip, etc) and it's good, but not that crunchy/crispy crust like Popeyes or KFC..

are ya letting the chicken warm up before cooking?

if it is cold it does not crisp as well

36 minutes ago, twa said:

are ya letting the chicken warm up before cooking?

if it is cold it does not crisp as well

I actually let it soak in buttermilk in the fridge till Im ready to batter/fry.. I'll definitely give it a shot, letting it come to room temp next time!! Thanks!! :)

7 hours ago, GoDeep81 said:

I actually let it soak in buttermilk in the fridge till Im ready to batter/fry.. I'll definitely give it a shot, letting it come to room temp next time!! Thanks!! :)

Lots of folks here have suggested letting it get to room temp, I've tried it (on the baking front), and the outside does "brown" a little better, so I'm gonna guess that it works for fried as well.

Archived