Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The immigration thread: American Melting Pot or Get off my Lawn

Burgold

27 minutes ago, Larry said:

After all, when considering an application for asylum, the first screen needs to be whether they had the money for airfare. 

walking or driving to a border crossing is no heavy burden

Such is life on the latest front where American soldiers are deployed. The midterm elections are over, along with President Trump’s rafter-shaking rallies warning that an approaching migrant caravan of Central Americans amounts to a foreign “invasion” that warrants deploying up to 15,000 active-duty military troops to the border states of Texas, Arizona and California.

But the 5,600 American troops who rushed to the brown, dry scrub along the southwest border are still going through the motions of an elaborate mission that appeared to be set into action by a commander in chief determined to get his supporters to the polls, and a Pentagon leadership unable to convince him of its perils.

The migrant caravan has arrived. Here's what you need to know.

The first wave of the migrant caravan that President Donald Trump has been warning about arrived at the southern border Tuesday, setting the stage for what Trump views as a potentially dangerous confrontation but what the migrants view as their chance to apply for asylum.

About 350 caravan members arrived by bus in the border city of Tijuana on Tuesday, marking the first large group of migrants to reach the U.S. border after weeks of grueling walks through Central America and Mexico.

Riding on nine buses, the group rolled into Tijuana, where members are expected to unload, rest and then get in line to request asylum.

The biggest portion of the caravan, however, is still more than 1,000 miles away. After arriving in Mexico City last week, the group has begun splintering, with some members tired of the slow pace and picking up rides wherever they can.

By arriving in Tijuana, the group will likely try to approach the San Ysidro Port of Entry just south of San Diego.

That's the largest crossing along the U.S.-Mexico border, processing more than 100,000 people a day. Port officials recently completed a multi-year, $750 million upgrade, expanding the facility to 22 pedestrian lanes and 26 vehicle lanes.

But during a recent tour, Port Director Sidney Aki said the facility can process only about 100 asylum seekers per day, leaving migrants in Tijuana regularly waiting for weeks for their chance to request asylum.

When asked whether any of the additional government staffing sent to the border in recent weeks could help speed up those processing times, McAleenan said they were mostly focused on preventing illegal crossings and describing the caravan as a "law enforcement situation."

Click on the link for the full article

What hypocritical bull****.  If this administration wanted legal immigration they wouldn’t be cracking down so goddamn hard on it and making immigrants and potential immigrants more miserable and scared, not to mention feeding anti-immigrant fear-mongering and violence.

Edited by visionary

15 hours ago, MartinC said:

It is when the roads to the border crossing are covered with barbed wire ...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6386293/Soldiers-lay-barbed-wire-harden-border-Tijuana-caravan-draws-closer.html

The crossings are open to orderly entry, crashing the border(like the caravans have done elsewhere) not so much.

Is your position open borders?

4 hours ago, twa said:

Is your position open borders?

No.

My position is there should absolutely be border control. But that that control should be both humane and proportionate to the task.

It is a fact that the majority of illegal immigrants enter this Country legally on valid visas and then overstay those visas. Building a border wall at huge expense not to say deploying troops as a political stunt does nothing to address the real problem.

A problem by the way to which there is no absolute solution. The task is managing and containing the problem.

On 11/15/2018 at 11:08 AM, MartinC said:

No.

My position is there should absolutely be border control. But that that control should be both humane and proportionate to the task.

It is a fact that the majority of illegal immigrants enter this Country legally on valid visas and then overstay those visas. Building a border wall at huge expense not to say deploying troops as a political stunt does nothing to address the real problem.

A problem by the way to which there is no absolute solution. The task is managing and containing the problem.

illegal border crossing are a problem as well, especially with the organized caravans increasing(combined with the abuse of asylum requests)

It is a minor way of managing the problem,especially unvetted entries.

I do think eliminating sanctuary policies would reduce the need for a wall, but here we are in reality. 

2 hours ago, twa said:

illegal border crossing are a problem as well, especially with the organized caravans increasing(combined with the abuse of asylum requests)

It is a minor way of managing the problem,especially unvetted entries.

I do think eliminating sanctuary policies would reduce the need for a wall, but here we are in reality. 

Nobody wants to fix this. Perfect example of politicians ****ing **** up because they are more worried about how the action will affect their chances of re-election rather than coming up with an actual solution.

I have zero expertise and I bet I could put a serious dent in illegal immigration. I’d fine the **** out of anybody who employs illegals.

Of course, I’m sure I’m not the first person to think of that which leads me to believe that we don’t actually want to get rid of that portion of the labor force

And that all this talk is just a bunch of bluster and bull****.

• Like 1