Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Random Tech/IT Thread

Gamebreaker

I think both of those phones suck. You want an android phone? Get the Nexus 6 and you're welcome. :)

Waze is the truth. The time estimates are always on point for me, and I spend between 45-70 minutes in the car ONE WAY on my commute to work. If there is an accident on the beltway, or God forbid, I-66...Waze gives me the best possible route to my destination. 

Why the Nexus 6? It's the size of a damn aircraft carrier.

I spend the same aamount of time. Google Maps gives me my time estimate before starting. Also constantly updates with secondary routes.

Edited by Slateman

Why the Nexus 6? It's the size of a damn aircraft carrier.

I think it's only slightly bigger than that LG G4 you are interested in, but I agree it's probably the biggest phone I've seen. I three friends who own the Nexus 6 and they have adjusted to the size. Getting the Nexus, made by Google, means you're getting the latest Android OS as Google intended, and not a manufacturer version...which is also further neutered by the Carrier you have(don't get it from your carrier if you can help it). But this also means you get OS updates before everyone else. Performance wise, compared to those other two phones the Nexus gives you the best processor too. 

Also, LG phones have a bad reputation. So much that I've seen on multiple occasionals where sales reps in AT&T and T-Mobile stores actively telling customers don't get it. And IMO, Samsung phones have been going downhill since the S4. 

You can change it. I guess you like substances over quality.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/petercohan/2013/06/11/four-reasons-for-google-to-buy-waze/

Oops.

Literally every reason it lists to use Waze over GM is something I hate about Waze. I don't care about where cops are. Frequently it's not accurate because the user saw the cop writing someoneba ticket. I dont want to be marking crap on the road, or giving a thumbs up to people. GM does all that for me by marking the route is red and providing me with a nice alternative route, usually with an updated ETA.

Driving here is hard enough, I don't want to worry about some interactive interface.

I think it's only slightly bigger than that LG G4 you are interested in, but I agree it's probably the biggest phone I've seen. I three friends who own the Nexus 6 and they have adjusted to the size. Getting the Nexus, made by Google, means you're getting the latest Android OS as Google intended, and not a manufacturer version...which is also further neutered by the Carrier you have(don't get it from your carrier if you can help it). But this also means you get OS updates before everyone else. Performance wise, compared to those other two phones the Nexus gives you the best processor too.

Also, LG phones have a bad reputation. So much that I've seen on multiple occasionals where sales reps in AT&T and T-Mobile stores actively telling customers don't get it. And IMO, Samsung phones have been going downhill since the S4.

Thanks, but Im sticking with Verizon. Neutering be damned, I've laughed too many times at my colleagues e phones can't get a signal.

Realistically, is there any way to measure any of these phones GPS capabilities?

The big beef on the Google phone is the Android OS doesn't fill the screen.  Google is also the company I refuse to get in bed with.

Am I the only one who still likes just putting the address into Google Maps, knowing where I'm at, and just reading my phone like a road map like the good ol days? Used to deliver pizzas back when cell phone ringtones still sounded like 16-bit video games.

In the meantime, looks like this may be patched in the newest version of OSX, but there's already an MSF module out for it:

http://thehackernews.com/2015/07/apple-mac-os-x-vulnerability.html

Exploit Code Fits in a Tweet:

Below is the creepy root-level privilege-escalation exploit code that even fit in a tweet, devised yesterday by Redditor Numinit:

http://thehackernews.com/2015/07/apple-mac-os-x-vulnerability.html

Apple Mac OS X Vulnerability Allow Attacker to Hack your Computer

The vulnerability affects both the latest stable release of the Mac operating system, OS X 10.10.4 Yosemite and the current beta version OS X 10.10.5, meaning many people are affected by this vulnerability.

However, the current El Capitan beta version OS X 10.11 is not affected by the flaw, which indicates that the company may already be aware of the weakness.

We have OSX machines in the Windows Domain environment I work at, and curious how other's deal with that from a centralized management standpoint (WMI filters for additional group policy settings? Anti-malware?) Next version of OSX comes out later this year, so I feel we can wait until then as opposed to pushing out this guys self-made patch (be different if the patch was from apple).

Edited by Renegade7

(WMI filters for additional group policy settings? Anti-malware?) Next version of OSX comes out later this year, so I feel we can wait until then as opposed to pushing out this guys self-made patch (be different if the patch was from apple).

???????

How is the intruder going to get on the box to run this command.  What's a WMI filter have to do with anything.

It's an insider threat.

You need to worry about the zero day threats and browser attacks on Windows before worrying about that hack.

Insider threat is the issue du jour, so if you don't trust the employees in your company, or if your employer doesn't trust you, well that's a bigger issue.  :ph34r:

Edited by chipwhich

The big beef on the Google phone is the Android OS doesn't fill the screen.  Google is also the company I refuse to get in bed with.

My friends who have it haven't mentioned that, but I'll ask them. If people want a smaller screen I always recommend the HTC One series phones. My last two phones have been the HTC One M7 and M8, completely satisfied. 

???????

How is the intruder going to get on the box to run this command. What's a WMI filter have to do with anything.

It's an insider threat.

Saw a spiceworks article about someone talking about it that lead nowhere. Outside of logging in with domain credentials and being able to manage the computer objects in AD, seems really limited. Did find this:

`http://training.apple.com/pdf/wp_integrating_active_directory_mav.pdf

We just got this buy in from the top to implement a globally recognized security standard for the whole company since I get the feeling that people really want to take this seriously now. And like I said, that code can be run remotely, but I don't think we should be posting stuff like how on here.

Edited by Renegade7

We just got this buy in from the top to implement a globally recognized security standard for the whole company since I get the feeling that people really want to take this seriously now. And like I said, that code can be run remotely, but I don't think we should be posting stuff like how on here.

That code can't be run remotely.  Sorry.  People do take this seriously now and for years.  What do you think Cyber threats are?

The reason Windows is so bad is it was designed to allow administrators to manage the enterprise.  Windows should have built an OS on top of UNIX, which is what MacOS is.  But they failed.  The greatest threat to any companies computing is Internet Explorer, hands down.

That code can't be run remotely.  Sorry. People do take this seriously now and for years. What do you think Cyber threats are?

The reason Windows is so bad is it was designed to allow administrators to manage the enterprise. Windows should have built an OS on top of UNIX, which is what MacOS is. But they failed. The greatest threat to any companies computing is Internet Explorer, hands down.

My company didn't and that's the point, but we do now. And it's disconcerting when we're seeing the news and it seems every other week someone else is biting the dust. But this is what we have to work with, and world we live in, is what it is.

Also, LG phones have a bad reputation. So much that I've seen on multiple occasionals where sales reps in AT&T and T-Mobile stores actively telling customers don't get it. And IMO, Samsung phones have been going downhill since the S4

Nonsense.  While there was nothing special about the S5, the Note 4 and the S6 are fantastic devices.

a text message sent to an android 2.2 or later phone compromises the phone.

you don't even have to open/read the message.

http://www.csoonline.com/article/2952741/mobile-security/stagefright-vulnerability-allows-criminals-to-send-malware-by-text.html

That's a pretty good one Google.

Is that just Google phones?  What about my Samsung Galaxy S5 with Android 5.0?

Edit:  Just read that its almost 95% of android based phones.  Any way to delete stagefright or do something to disable mms until it is fixed/patched?

Edited by Dont Taze Me Bro

Is that just Google phones?  What about my Samsung Galaxy S5 with Android 5.0?

It's an android 2.2 and above flaw. I didn't see any specifics over which phones. Google makes/owns/maintains android, which is why I was commenting about them.

All the other manufacturers do their own customizations to android to make their phone different. There are so many difference modifications, from so many different manufacturers, that I don't feel comfortable saying any are not affected.

I'd check with your manufacturer, if nothing else just assume it affects you. Not really anything you can do about it, you don't have to open the message, someone just has to have your phone number lol.

Be skeptical of people telling you your specific phone doesn't have the flaw. I've seen a lot of terrible and incorrect stuff like that on the internet.

It's an android 2.2 and above flaw. I didn't see any specifics over which phones. Google makes/owns/maintains android, which is why I was commenting about them.

All the other manufacturers do their own customizations to android to make their phone different. There are so many difference modifications, from so many different manufacturers, that I don't feel comfortable saying any are not affected.

I'd check with your manufacturer, if nothing else just assume it affects you. Not really anything you can do about it, you don't have to open the message, someone just has to have your phone number lol.

Be skeptical of people telling you your specific phone doesn't have the flaw. I've seen a lot of terrible and incorrect stuff like that on the internet.

Anyway to disable MMS or just delete stagefright altogether?  

Anyway to disable MMS or just delete stagefright altogether?  

Well you can probably disable MMS through your carrier. You might be able to do it in settings.

I really have no idea because I don't own an android phone. My wife does, so I guess I need to do some digging.

I've read a couple of articles on it from android forums and they're hilariously bad. One said you shouldn't be concerned because it's been around since android 2.2, and that was like a long time ago or something, so if nothing's happened yet then there's obviously no reason to be concerned.

Lots of 'experts' out there that don't have a clue as to what they're talking about.

http://m.androidcentral.com/stagefright-exploit-what-you-need-know

Zimperium apparently alerted Google in April and May, proposed patches, and Google accepted them. What we don't know is whether the fix has been pushed to to Google's phones (the Nexus line), or if any manufacturers have pushed out the fix on their end.

"We thank Joshua Drake for his contributions. The security of Android users is extremely important to us and so we responded quickly and patches have already been provided to partners that can be applied to any device.

Most Android devices, including all newer devices, have multiple technologies that are designed to make exploitation more difficult. Android devices also include an application sandbox designed to protect user data and other applications on the device".

Edited by Mufumonk