Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

McCloughan speaks loudly without a splash

Burgold

Since the days of Vinny, Redskins fans have been asking, hoping, and pleading for a "real" football man. Now, I don't know what that means as Shanahan, Gibbs, and even Bruce Allen are real football men who spent much of their lives immersed in the NFL. Non the less, the cry became a shout until it became a mantra. It was either truth or the latest scapegoat.

When Scott McCloughan was brought into the fold almost everyone applauded though some fans burned by decades of harsh reality kept a healthy skeptical distance.  

Free agency came and went and McCloughan did more than dip his toe in the pool. He waded in collecting a whole bunch of players. There were Ricky Jeans, Paea's, Knighton's, Culliver's, and a safety or two. It was almost a haul reminiscent of a Vinny shopping spree. People said there was a difference. 

"Look at the age of the players," some said.

"Look at the size of the contracts," others pronounced.

Then, all was quiet again. Insiders began getting it wrong about little things and the news cycle became really repetitive (as did ES) cycling through the same questions over and over because there was no news leaking out.

Finally, draft day came. This is what McCloughan was really brought in for.  This is where he would make his statement and begin putting his fingerprint on the team. That is why he came to town. And the first round opened in an extraordinary way... the consensus top defensive prospect somehow fell into the Redskins' laps. Here was the chance to make a statement, a clarion call to the NFL that he arrived. He could get the heralded guy or he could parlay him into a mammoth trade.

What's intriguing is that in both free agency and now this first round, there was no splash. No boom! No fireworks.  Scherff is a good pick and certainly a need pick, but  in the moment where McCloughan got to make his first statement as the Redskins' top man... he chose not to make one.

In doing so, I think he made a pretty loud pronouncement. Work before show biz.  I don't know how the McCloughan era works out, I don't even know how the rest of the draft works out... heck, I don't know that I even agree with Scherff over Williams, but I kind of do like the statement that was just made.

It was a cultural statement. This team all the way back to the days of Michael Westbrook and Albert Connell has been a very loud team. They told everyone how great and unstoppable they were. They spent. They splashed. They boomed and drew a ton of attention. On Sundays, they backed it up rarely.

So, what it does it mean that even though I was sitting at the edge the pool as McCloughan made his first dive I didn't feel any spray?  Hopefully, something good.

I said last might that I wasn't just fine with the pick, I found it comforting.

As long as I'm repeating myself and this thread is basically an invite to repeat a lot of what's already being repeated a lot :P in three other threads (no prob btw, and the thread has other potential as things go forward) I am going to do just that (repeat myself), but I'll do it the practical way:

http://es.redskins.com/topic/388737-welcome-to-the-redskinsbrandon-scherff-ol-iowa/?p=10209310

http://es.redskins.com/topic/388730-2015-washington-redskins-draft-threadall-rounds/?p=10209370

http://es.redskins.com/topic/388730-2015-washington-redskins-draft-threadall-rounds/?p=10208524

BTW burg, you may want to get his name right. Unless you meant to talk about the race car driver.  :D

I'd agree with your post, except I don't know how you define Williams as "show biz"

He isn't important like a QB, or flashy like a WR, or even showboat-y like a DB.

He's an "in the trench" player who can wreak havoc along offensive lines, possibly for many years to come.

I don't see how going with Williams would be going "show biz".

Everyone needs an editor, Jumbo. Must have been the phonetic that I used to remember how to say his name became ingrained as his name.

Yeah, I hope this becomes a wider thread than Scherff vs. Williams. That wasn't my intention. I wanted to look at a bigger picture.

I'd agree with your post, except I don't know how you define Williams as "show biz"

He isn't important like a QB, or flashy like a WR, or even showboat-y like a DB.

He's an "in the trench" player who can wreak havoc along offensive lines, possibly for many years to come.

I don't see how going with Williams would be going "show biz".

Show biz just in the sense that he'd have been the big splashy, super sexy player. Mind you, he'd be the big, splashy, super sexy pick that would have excited me and I think would not have been a mistake (although figuring out the rotation of Baker, Knighton, Paea, Ricky John, Hatcher, and Williams (probably forgetting a few) might have been a bear.

Still, Scherff, Paea, Culliver, the safeties, and everyone else has so far been solid... meat and potatoes picks. Nothing that makes you jump up and down for, but nothing that really should make you shake your head in disgust either.

Haha at Jumbo.  I've been referring to our GM as SM because I knew I would butcher his last name.  I'm sure I'm not the only one on here who does that!

Maybe his picks and his signings work out for us, maybe they don't.  There's always a lot of variables involved.  But one thing that is certain, SM wants guys that will punch you in the mouth.  I love that.  We could definitely use a little more street fight in our game.

Excited to see who we grab tonight.

I intend to help, burg. I admit the wait today is worse for me then yesterday. And one thing I thought for this thread's topic: imagine if we traded either way down in the 2nd or completely out of it, and wonder what the reactions would be, assuming the deal we'd make would not be so extreme and cut and dried that it was universally panned or universally cheered.

I expect our path is still going to be a long test of patience over the next couple seasons. As I pointed out a few days ago, "everyone" making Scot the 2nd coming those initial months can turn so quick, just as when Robert was made the savior before the fat lady even made it to the second act (and hopefully that turns completely around). Unnecessary and exaggerated lionization is often followed by exaggerated despair and anger at even early signs of struggles or missteps (actual or just projected/imagined).

I don't think such will happen in any broad sense on the broad with Scot, with just one or two or even a few "controversies", but I won't be at all surprised see it happen with some board experts and non-experts (usually a subtle distinction, outside of "message board bragging rights" IMO) well before there's valid reason. 

Scot Mc showed us all he has a pair of balls to stick to his plan.

Williams was the safe obvious pick IMO to the outside football world. Scherff was the risky pick IMO based on general opinion at pick 5.

Instead, he stayed to his plan and went with his gut.

I like that to be honest.

Tell you what---IMO, the UK ES contingent may be the most American-football-smart small demographic we have on ES.

For Pete's sake don't tell GHH I said that---he'll think it's all about him!

Tell you what---IMO, the UK ES contingent may be the most American-football-smart small demographic we have on ES.

Yeah, but strangely they know almost nothing about soccer.

Scherff was a good pick at 5, no matter who else was available.  We need a starter for at least one OL position right now. Wherever Scherff fits in is fine by me. Well done, SM.  But it don't think that it was the type of pick that minstrels will write ballads about or that causes clouds to part such that the sun shines down on the FedEx turf for ever more.  Scherff was expected to go somewhere between the Skins pick and the Giants pick, and he went to the Skins.  Williams looks like a great talent and he was a great pick for the Jets.  Great picks for both teams.  If SM had picked Williams, that would have been great too.  

It's a sure thing that a player with first round talent, and without a character issue, like Landon Collins (!!!), will be around for the second round pick.  So SM should have two picks tucked away before he needs to earn his money.  I'm looking forward to what he can get in the 3-7 rounds.

I said last might that I wasn't just fine with the pick, I found it comforting.

As long as I'm repeating myself and this thread is basically an invite to repeat a lot of what's already being repeated a lot :P in three other threads (no prob btw, and the thread has other potential as things go forward) I am going to do just that (repeat myself), but I'll do it the practical way:

http://es.redskins.com/topic/388737-welcome-to-the-redskinsbrandon-scherff-ol-iowa/?p=10209310

http://es.redskins.com/topic/388730-2015-washington-redskins-draft-threadall-rounds/?p=10209370

http://es.redskins.com/topic/388730-2015-washington-redskins-draft-threadall-rounds/?p=10208524

BTW burg, you may want to get his name right. Unless you meant to talk about the race car driver.  :D

Quit spamming us, Jumbo

:P

I've been in the Batcave (read: my mom's basement) since the season ended, so I've been pretty much out-of-the-loop in terms of the day-to-day off-season sturm-und-drang, including that related to the interminable pre-draft period.  Which has resulted in my mood being more placid than normal.  Which is nice.   :)

However, I do recall seeing some mock drafts from a few months back that had us taking Brandon Sherff in the first round; based upon my cursory review of his career and the fact that our o-line has been largely atrocious in recent years, it seemed like a good idea.  So I was cool with it.  Moreover, I figured that Leonard Williams, who I've been very high on for quite some time, would be long gone by the time we picked.  So when I came home from work yesterday and saw how the first six picks worked out, I must confess that I was a little ticked.  Actually, I was more than a little ticked.

But after I calmed down and ruminated on McClue's decision, I get it.  As previously stated, our o-line needs to be upgraded -- and quickly so.  Moreover, perhaps (and this is just speculation on my part) part of McClue's thinking was as follows: "If we trade down and our new landing spot is behind the Giants, then we likely lose Sherff to a division rival.  And that just isn't worth it, not if the upside of such a move is merely getting a couple of extra picks in the later rounds."

Let's be honest if Williams was the pick no one would be saying it was a bad pick because it was too much show biz. The narrative would of been "hell yeah, BPA, best Def. player in the draft, what a steal", similar to the Orakpo pick.

Let's be honest if Williams was the pick no one would be saying it was a bad pick because it was too much show biz. The narrative would of been "hell yeah, BPA, best Def. player in the draft, what a steal", similar to the Orakpo pick.

Yep, I would have been excited... although I wouldn't attribute the pick to McCloughan. Rather, I'd chalk it up to be luck and the dumbness of other GMs.

Those UK thingies just happen to be attached to the Independent People's Republic.

So by my reckoning on my trusted finger counting scale, by association I'm in a small demo thingie big word of 1!

Which I'm taking as your way of saying I'm 'special.'  :D (LEAVE IT ****ERS!)

Hail. 

i don't follow college and am not a draft guru guy.

in fact, when i checked espn on my phone to see who they drafted it had his name and school but no position. i had no idea what position we had drafted, lol.

but when i went to twitter and ES, i saw a bunch of people completely shocked and surprised.

some even... deflated.

how could we pass on the sure fire consensus top defender, a guy a lot of people may very well go #1?

i don't know but if the majority of people don't understand the pick then that makes me happy. seems like every time we go with that guy, it doesn't work out.

Step 1: Strengthen the trenches (ol/dl).
Step 2: Strengthen down the middle (rb, qb, ilb, s).
Step 3: Strengthen the edges (wr, te, olb, cb).

It's arguable whether this is the best strategy, but I think it's the most traditional, time-honored strategy. And it's not to say these are progressive steps but rather points of emphasis. And while this doesn't guarantee Super Bowls I think it does ensure competitiveness.

This is what we fans have wanted since... since... Beathard? So far, it seems like we finally have it. Comforting is exactly the right word for what's McCloughan has done. Solid, safe, trustworthy additions.

one thing for sure, SM isn't going for "best available" - that pick was obviously williams. i don't mind the sherff pick..a slight stretch at 5 but not by much...but williams graded a lot higher at his position...and it still woulda been a "trench" pick. with that said, SM has a plan that started in the offseason and clearly they didn't think williams would fall to them given their off-season DL activity. he stuck to his plan so good for him. hope his plan is sound. we'll see in a few years.

Since the days of Vinny, Redskins fans have been asking, hoping, and pleading for a "real" football man. Now, I don't know what that means as Shanahan, Gibbs, and even Bruce Allen are real football men who spent much of their lives immersed in the NFL.

Like the idea behind the overall post.  I'm happy to sit here thinking position weighting is easily enough to put one nasty lineman over another.  Whilst I firmly believe Williams will be a top end DE that is the only position he can play and no one who lines up behind him can be the difference between division champs and division chumps.  For us Scherff is the BPA.

I do however have an issue with the above quote.  None of Gibbs, Allen, Shanahan are real football men in the GM sense.  Being around football does not = able to build a good roster.  SM on the other hand has a track record of good personel moves and in the GM sense is the 'football guy' we wanted.

Will be interesting to see if he finishes the job and adds another one or two really good OL through the rest of the draft.  As Redskins fans we know OL is BPA if you don't have a complete one 'cos when we do we're really hard to beat.....

So, it seems that McCloughin wasn't kidding when he said he likes size and power. Shanny really liked getting captains. McCloughin based on picks one through three seems that he wants big guys. Big tackle, big linebacker, and big back.  Sort of the anti-Shanny.

These guys aren't going to finesse you. They'll pop you in the jaw.

Archived