Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official "Marvel" Thread (Movies,Comics etc)

BRAVEONAWARPATH

8 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

What if one if the current big name hero's is actually a skrull?  Would Marvel have the balls to pull that off in the movies? Like make Cap one all along or something... 

That would be lame retconning.  I know these are comic book movies, but Marvel Studios has set a much higher standard for story telling than the source material.  If you don't introduce the Skrulls until Captain Marvel, then you can't put them in the previous movies.

• Like 2

Just now, stevemcqueen1 said:

That would be lame retconning.  I know these are comic book movies, but Marvel Studios has set a much higher standard for story telling than the source material.  If you don't introduce the Skrulls until Captain Marvel, then you can't put them in the previous movies.

Let's face it.... The bubble will burst at some point.

8 hours ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Let's face it.... The bubble will burst at some point.

It already has with the tripe that Netflix and ABC have been making.  But with the exception of the arc of the Iron Man franchise, the Marvel Studios films have been getting stronger and more assured.  They have so much production talent.  That's been their real genius.  They cast their movies perfectly and they pluck super talented writers and directors from all over the place who end up being perfect for their projects.  Feige and the other heads at Marvel Studios have an authentic eye for talent and they've got hitmaking down to a formula now.  Their universe is so well developed that it can sustain itself for a long time because there are 50+ years of great characters and broad story arcs from which to develop projects such that they can continuously bring in new characters to keep things fresh.  And their audience is now so massive and sympathetic that they have carte blanche as story tellers--the fanboys don't kill them for going away from the source material.

We have never seen this kind of massively ambitious and successful interlinked multi-franchise filmmaking before.  Not even Star Wars or Star Trek comes close to the scope of what Marvel Studios is doing.  It's incredible.  And I don't see this getting crappy unless there is a change in leadership at the studio and they lose their production talent.

2 hours ago, Zguy28 said:

I think it looks awesome.

Me too.  I'm excited about the screenplay.  Quite a bit of talent in those writer's credits.  I am super impressed with the work and talent of Liz Flahive and Carly Mensch in particular, and I hope they were heavily involved in writing the final script.  I like how they're tying in the characters from the original GoTG movie by involving the original writer for that screenplay because she obviously has a great vision for the setting.  And I like that it was a female writer's room.  The film will have a woman's perspective and voice, as it should.

I'm also very excited about the direction.  Boden and Fleck's background is eclectic and intriguing and their track record is very impressive.  I honestly think this could end up being the best film the studio has made so far.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Not a fan of the Netflix shows eh, Steve?

Interesting. I thought DD was well done.

Regarding the movie..I thought Captain Marvel was a dude in the comics. Isn't Carol Danvers Ms. Marvel and then she loses her powers to Rogue? Either way, that film looks fantastic.

Edited by The Evil Genius

36 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

They're low budget and low quality but I watched them all anyway.  The first season of Daredevil was outstanding but the show immediately fell off after Steven DeKnight left.  None of the subsequent seasons of any of their series have come close to that level of quality either.

Netflix poops out a lot of lowest common denominator junk content.  Its Marvel shows fit that pattern.

But the shows are at least watchable, unlike the crap ABC has made.  Agents of Shield became an off brand Buffy the Vampire Slayer that was dumb and unwatchable after the second season.  I never watched Agent Carter, and would be willing to, but it looks like the show already ran its course.  And Inhumans was of course irredeemable trash.

Its a good thing Marvel's cinematic universe isn't primarily in their hands.  They're no better at producing the characters, storie, and franchises than Fox and Sony.  Marvel Studios is the artistic mint.

48 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

Regarding the movie..I thought Captain Marvel was a dude in the comics. Isn't Carol Danvers Ms. Marvel and then she loses her powers to Rogue? Either way, that film looks fantastic.

I actually enjoy all of them (except Punisher, which I haven't seen).

48 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

Marvel treats most of their characters as archetypal superhero personas.  Captain America is a mantle that Steve Rogers initially wears, but then Roscoe Simons and Sam Wilson and Bucky Barnes and Shannon Carter inherit depending on the story line.  Spider-Man is Peter Parker mainly, but also Miles Moralez and Gwen Stacy.  Punisher is Frank Castle, but also Rachel Alves.  Thor is everyone from the initial incarnation of Don Blake to Beta Ray Bill to Jane Foster to a frog.  So it is with Captain Marvel, who starts out as a Kree named Mar-Vell, but then goes to Monica Rambeau and eventually to Carol Danvers.

They deal with the changing mantle head on in Ant Man, as their story actually begins with the second incarnation of the hero in Scott Lang.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Yeah that would be too Austin Powers 2 when they made it so Vanessa was one of Dr Evil's fembots all along.  

17 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

It has to happen though.  An essential component of telling an infiltration story line is that someone has to have been an imposter long before anyone became aware of it.  It wouldn't surprise me if Marvel already put clues into moves we've seen, but in a way that isn't recognizable until after they reveal some information that makes those scenes significant. 

• Like 1

On 9/19/2018 at 10:17 AM, The Evil Genius said:

Carol Danvers was Ms Marvel for a very long time, didn't start calling herself Captain Marvel until less than a decade ago. And the original Captain Marvel was a dude, kind of a Superman wannabe like many Marvel characters were versions of more popular DC characters back then. I believe Carol was a love interest of his before inheriting his powers. She has a very interesting and sometimes bizarre history.

Also, I agree with @stevemcqueen1 on the Netflix shows being of less quality although I did find most of them enjoyable. Inhumans was complete garbage and the worst superhero show ever created. But I disagree completely about Agents of Shield. That show is the best comic TV show on television right now.

It does bear similarities to Buffy in dialogue and it's cast of characters, but hey, Buffy isn't considered one of the best shows ever for nothing. Agents has been way more enjoyable than the cookie cutter, by the numbers, filler episodes to prop up the movies kind of show it was in the first season.