Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Joe Barry, we're not upset with you, we're upset about the hiring process

Boss_Hogg

Does the Joe Barry hiring make me nervous based upon his track record?  Yes.  But, I'm not upset with the hiring process if the decision maker is the Head Coach.  The HC should pick everyone on his coaching staff. 

And I think Gruden's Job is on the line. If he thinks Barry is the guy to make this defense better, so be it. Otherwise, this whole staff is getting canned before 2016

How do you get worse then 32nd in the league in two seasons?

2007 - Lions Allowed 444 points (27.8/g), 32nd in the league

2008 - Lions Allowed 517 points (32.3/g), 32nd in the league

2006 - Lions Allowed 398 points (24.9/g), 30th in the league

2009 - Lions Allowed 494 points (30.9/g), 32nd in the league

Three different DCs over that timespan. Maybe the problem wasn't simply the coordinator.

In San Diego for the last four seasons as a LB coach 0 Probowlers, how can they get worse if he leaves there? This guy fails every where he goes

Did he fail in Tampa? Is your definition of "failing" not making the Pro Bowl?...if so, London Fletcher was a failure almost his entire career.

Reading the Chargers board Barry wasn't bad with the linebackers but he wasn't amazing either, you could make the case Kirk Olivadotti did more with our linebackers so I would promote him before I would bring in Barry, maybe put Barry on our linebackers. The word is also Rod Marinelli ran that terrible Lions defense when he was DC, so he doesn't even have viable DC experience.

The only time this guy ever was a Defensive Coordinator that's what he did. How did they get worse when he left the Lions?

I think his father-in-law Rod Marinelli was the one really running the defense back then and Barry had the title. Now Marinelli is doing a fine job with Dallas...so who knows.  Maybe Barry learned a thing or two since then.  

With that said...hopefully Fangio gets the job. 

2006 - Lions Allowed 398 points (24.9/g), 30th in the league

2009 - Lions Allowed 494 points (30.9/g), 32nd in the league

Three different DCs over that timespan. Maybe the problem wasn't simply the coordinator.

Did he fail in Tampa? Is your definition of "failing" not making the Pro Bowl?...if so, London Fletcher was a failure almost his entire career.

Lets be clear, what I quoted said that the Lions were "worse" when he left. He was fired before the 2009 season, and they improved in 2009 which you quoted yourself. I see nothing to suggest they were worse without him that you posted.

Also when judging a position coach you need to at least show something with the position, probowls are one indication for the position. Especially over a 4 year span for a coach with such a poor history. 

Either way this hire defies logic, why this guy with this resume? Why would anyone think this is the guy to turn this ship around?

I think his father-in-law Rod Marinelli was the one really running the defense back then and Barry had the title. Now Marinelli is doing a fine job with Dallas...so who knows.  Maybe Barry learned a thing or two since then.  

With that said...hopefully Fangio gets the job. 

I've seen this said before, anyone have any proof that Rod was running the defense? Google must be broken because I can't find anything to suggest that

Does Wade want to come back to be a winner, or does he want to come back just for a paycheck?

Does Jim Schwartz even want to come here, after interviewing for the HC position in 2008?  Also, he's a 4-3 guy.

As for Scot being involved, hiring assistants has always been the HC's responsibility.

I still haven't figured out why knowing a person is a bad thing in the hiring process.  It seems like fans just want to hire people based off of their resumes and not if their plans mesh with the people they are talking with.  I don't know if Barry is a good hire or not, but no one else really knows either.

It's not, however the 2014 season hasn't concluded yet and Allen and Grudes have already settled on a friend from their mediocre Tampa teams.

Why not do their due diligence and poach someone from Chuck Pagano's staff? Or better yet someone from that sick Seattle defense? 

If the season was over and Bruce and Jay interviewed many candidates yet ultimately decided on Joe Barry, then I would feel differently about the hire. But this reeks of Bruce Allen's bull **** coaching search last year. He made up his mind and got his friend.

With that being said I hope Joe Barry makes me eat crow and balls out this year. But his track record shows we may be in for Haslett 2.0. 

"The best predictor of future behavior is … past behavior" - Dr. Phil

Just a FYI Gibbs 2.0 didnt turn out that well. That's  probably a poor example to prove your point. 

I say what are you talking about - considering what this team has done since GIBBS left the first time he DID an awesome job. No other coach has been able to get this team in the playoffs 2 of 4 years let alone win a playoff game since he left.  He got more out of this team then anyone could have expected, and if Taylor hadn't been murdered I think he would have been here 3-4 more years and led the team to a NFC Championship or Superbowl.

Sorry Hank, but All Pro is a better indicator of how a player is doing then Pro Bowls. Pro Bowls are merely popularity contests and so many bow out with injuries, often the 4th or 5th alternate makes it.

I agree with you, but it's still a measuring stick

Love this quote

"The best predictor of future behavior is … past behavior" - Dr. Phil

Thanks Boss for sharing it!

If the season was over and Bruce and Jay interviewed many candidates yet ultimately decided on Joe Barry, then I would feel differently about the hire. But this reeks of Bruce Allen's bull **** coaching search last year. He made up his mind and got his friend.

So, if I'm right we interviewed:

- Wade Philips

- Joe Barry

- Ed Donatell

- Raheem Morris

- Eric Mangini

We were denied to talk with:

- Vic Fangio

- Gary Gibbs

I've read stuff about interviewing Ken Norton Jr., but can't be sure we really did. Now Vic Fangio might be available and we're holding on to interview him as well.

So we can say Jay did interview many candidates. I really don't see what kind of trouble you have with the process.

I'm glad you brought this up because that was exactly what I was thinking about with this is he or isn't he reporting of Joe Barry being our next defensive co-ordinator.

I absolutely to this day believe the fans caused Schneider to about face on the hiring of Fassel as our head coach.

we had john schneider as our owner back then??

It's not, however the 2014 season hasn't concluded yet and Allen and Grudes have already settled on a friend from their mediocre Tampa teams.

Apparently not, considering that Barry hasn't been hired yet and pretty much the message out of Redskins park is that they haven't made a decision.  So, I guess we can table this thread until a decision has been made and criticize the process we know little about then.

As for those mediocre teams in Tampa, those teams did have good defenses, so it does stand to reason that they might have good defensive coaches.

So, if I'm right we interviewed:

- Wade Philips

- Joe Barry

- Ed Donatell

- Raheem Morris

- Eric Mangini

We were denied to talk with:

- Vic Fangio

- Gary Gibbs

I've read stuff about interviewing Ken Norton Jr., but can't be sure we really did. Now Vic Fangio might be available and we're holding on to interview him as well.

So we can say Jay did interview many candidates. I really don't see what kind of trouble you have with the process.

Ken Norton Jr was never interviewed. That was a BS tweet from one of the twitter insiders. 

The issue I have with this team is the preference of friendship over qualified candidates. Joe Barry was the defensive coordinator on the 0-16 Lions. That defense set records for historically bad defense. Some will say he had no talent, well I got news for you, neither do we. We have three guys on our defense that can probably start on other teams (Kerrigan, Robinson, Breeland). 

Again, what's the rush in hiring Joe? Let the season work itself out then grill every option. And if Joe Barry is your guy then he's your guy. 

I hope Joe Barry makes me eat crow but his track record scares the **** out of me. 

Damn I went to track Danny's plane and we can't do it anymore....

N904DS - DSWA LLC (DULLES VA) This aircraft (N904DS) is not available for public tracking per request from the owner/operator.

That's my airplane! How do I track my airplane on FlightAware?

FlightAware can provide aircraft owner/operators with secure access to their own flight data. Contact FlightAware for help.

I dont even think Joe Barry was hired yet? Not sure what is going on with these media swing and misses. I think Fangio is our guy in due time. But like you mentioned, the process is ass. I like to use the analogy that there are many street gangs out there that are ran more efficiently. I don't blame Dan Snyder either.. He may **** up but he tries to do the right thing for the fans.

Damn I went to track Danny's plane and we can't do it anymore....

N904DS - DSWA LLC (DULLES VA) This aircraft (N904DS) is not available for public tracking per request from the owner/operator.

That's my airplane! How do I track my airplane on FlightAware?

FlightAware can provide aircraft owner/operators with secure access to their own flight data. Contact FlightAware for help.

darn you danny!!!

Speak for yourself. I'm not upset about him or the process. Results of this hire have yet to be seen. Give the guy a chance. He can't be worse than Haslett. Can he? All the sky is falling, clean house in 2016 conspiracy stuff is reactionary and premature at best.

I agree. I would like for Vic to get the nod but if Barry gets the nod I will give him a shot.

I dont think us fans know enough about the candidates to make a decision one way or another. There are other things at play here also.

Ill reserve judgement on Barry and this entire team moving forward until I can see what McG brings these coaches talent wise as that will have a lot to do with the result.

Archived