Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins Sign S Jamarca Sanford

Master Blaster

No just the safeties we sign.

Most of the safeties we sign have started for other teams.  I don't think Laron Landry was a big cover guy, he left and started starting for other teams.  I admit to not being up on other teams, but I know Bob Sanders one of the bigger names in recent years was known for hits not coverage

Here's a highlight reel of his.

And here is his profile from

OVERVIEW

A four-year starter, Sanford, the conference's leading tackler over his career, leaves Ole Miss without a single all-conference selection. The heavy-hitting strong safety's 287 career tackles did earn him an invitation to the Scouting Combine. If Sanford can prove his athleticism, the versatile, durable performer could move into middle-round consideration for the 2009 draft.

ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS Positives: Tough. ... Signed with Ole Miss as a linebacker and started four games at this position -- at 200 pounds -- as a sophomore. ... Reliable open-field tackler. ... Lacks the bulk scouts prefer at strong safety, but is a physical hitter that wraps up cleanly. ... Isn't afraid to take on blockers and can disengage to make the tackle near the line of scrimmage. ... High-effort player who doesn't give up on the play. ... Good upside as a special teams defender due to his toughness and reliable open-field tackling. Negatives: Lacks size teams prefer at safety and the size to transition back to linebacker. ... Marginal speed for coverage. ... Lacks the change-of-direction agility to stick with receivers in man coverage and too often appears satisfied with making the tackle after the reception is made. ... A steady collegiate defender, but rarely made the flashy play.

So this guy is Rambo without the cool name?

Uuh, Rambo wasn't a good tackler.

one thing that surprises me is that right now we have eleven DBs on the roster.  You'd think if the Skins decided that Porter or Minnefield weren't up to it they'd cut one of them.

Until you get a pass rush, our safeties don't matter.

do you actually watch around the QB during the game?  Our guys get there just a little bit late because the secondary gives so much room. 

one thing that surprises me is that right now we have eleven DBs on the roster.  You'd think if the Skins decided that Porter or Minnefield weren't up to it they'd cut one of them.

do you actually watch around the QB during the game?  Our guys get there just a little bit late because the secondary gives so much room. 

Actually I do watch.  We must be the only team in the league whose defense can let teams score 30+ per game and its all the safeties fault.  I don't know of another team or fan base that blames all of their problems on the safety.

Agreed, Boss Hogg! Hazzclown continues to play his CBs 5-10 yds away from opposing WRs. I'm still baffled by his schematics when it comes to this.

Chipwich, do you actually pay attention to our secondary? Or do you just pick your strawman according to what justifies your argument? You can't actually defend this putrid secondary as a way to disparage our pass-rush. That's just terrible (Barkley impersonation :P).

Seriously, man, you just look to find an argument you can stir up with a poster (why you seemingly have a post or two in each thread). No way you can pin the pass rush with this secondary, so yeah, I (and any other fan) can lay this on the secondary. More importantly, this should be put squarely on Hazzhat's shoulders as he continues (carried over from last season though he claimed he was overrided by Shanny) to tell his CBs to play 10 yds off the WRs (and to the Hazzclown apologists, didn't he command them to do the same thing last year and claim it was all Shanny's fault??????). Got to be honest here, it doesn't matter how damned great your pass-rush is, if you're continuing to play off the WRs like we do, you're going to get 1st downs everytime. End of story.

Chipwich, do you actually pay attention to our secondary? Or do you just pick your strawman according to what justifies your argument? You can't actually defend this putrid secondary as a way to disparage our pass-rush. That's just terrible (Barkley impersonation :P).

You are just making my point for me in the entirety of your post.  Our defenses issues aren't because of the safety.  If you reread your post you basically laid out who is to blame.

You know, I'm not so quick to throw in the towel on the Special Teams.  The Houston game was a debacle, period.  But Philly's Special Teams look like they're having an outstanding year.  Based on the Eagles Teams' play in San Fran, I'm willing to give our unit the benefit of the doubt...for now.  Let's give it a little more time.

This is what you are going with?

Guys..guys....guys....guys....

Let's be adults and agree that bothe the secondary AND the pass rush suck.

Now, let's go get ice cream.

The coaching is fine. It's the whole talent thing that Redskins fans cannot seem to recognize.

I think all our problems can be solved by just trying harder. If every team is giving 110 percent, we need to give 114 percent.

Or maybe even 115.

116 sounds dangerous. We should probably avoid that.

Safety is a revolving door and it will be until we can draft a good one.  It is what it is.

If this guy can help on specials, that means that the guys we are using specials to groom aren't cutting it, but as zoony said, at this point in the year I'm fine with whatever.

I think right now we're learning who the Taylor Jacobs are on this team. I think a lot of the guys we signed showed well on special teams in the offseason, but was it Robinson or Davis that didn't stay in his lane against Philly and it forced our special teams to allow that return? Sure he plays with intensity but we need to know we can count on guys and them making mistakes on special teams is a bad sign for them going forward. I'm not saying I'm all heave ho on this signing as if its going to turn our season around, but I think this is a continuum from the offseason when we brought in all those backup MLBs who were good at teams, escept now we're bringing in Ss instead of LBs, but until our teams are not making mistakes this will be a process.

I wish Golston and Gathers didn't both make mistakes on XPs. Hopefully those were only one (two) timers and they're good to go. Otherwise, I wouldn't be surprised if they're let go and somebody else who can be more consistent on teams is brought in.

Eli Manning was sitting in the pocket for more than 2 seconds.  Don't be silly.

http://espn.go.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/11425/film-dont-lie-redskins

The Redskins have the talent for a good pass rush, but their jobs are difficult when the back seven don’t do their jobs in coverage or even attempt to disrupt the timing of a route. So the result is quick passes, with the quarterback rarely feeling heat from the rush. According to ESPN Stats & Information research, opposing quarterbacks have thrown 85 passes in 2.3 seconds or less versus Washington -- fourth most in the NFL. That’s 65.4 of all the passes the Redskins have faced.

Like I said, Eli Manning was sitting in the pocket for more than 2 seconds.  As far as the statistics in the article, that doesn't tell me what the time was for Foles or Manning who both clearly had well over 2 seconds to pass.  Our defensive numbers looked great after the Houston and Jacksonville games where we actually got some pressure on the QB

I love these threads were by page 3, no one actually remembers what their original argument was and just starts yelling stuff.

Eil had 20 seconds! The numbers back me up! The secondary is filled with Tappist Monks! How is that even possible?!?!?!?

Sorry, Ive seen Rak and Kerrigan do to much to agree with that.

We have 11 sacks on the year. 10 of them were against Jacksonville.

You saw them do a lot in one game against a terrible team.

Archived