Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CSN Washington; Redskins rookie CB Bashaud Breeland busted for marijuana possession

Capt. Kaos

You are joking, right?

How do you propose we explain to all the kids that look up to these players as role models that they must wait until they become NFL players before they can smoke dope?!?

We explain to them that being good at a sport isn't enough to make someone a worthy role model.

geez, what a ****ing idiot.

Hey guy, here's a chance to make millions over a few years and all you have to do is NOT do drugs.

So what's the first thing these morons do? Drugs.

Nobody ever accused football players of being the smartest people on the planet, but damn, how hard is it to NOT do something illegal??

I love the dude but he's toxic. This may be harsh but I want him gone. I can't stand stupidity like this. I wish teams would be stricter when it comes to these things.

I don't want this team to rely on an unreliable player, especially in the secondary. There's enough talent competing, would rather someone who takes his job seriously and understands that when you make a mistake like this you aren't just letting yourself down but you're crippling your team in the process.

Trent, please have an "intervention" with this young man, asap. HTTR

Trent probably still smokes. He just knows how to get around the tests.

Weed is a joke alcohol is by far worst. Weed is on its way to becoming legal anyway.

With that being said. This guy is pretty dumb if this is already his second time getting in trouble in his first year, hell first few months in the league.

The only way theres not a 3rd and 4th offence. Is if he learns how to beat tests and or doesn't get caught with the stuff.

Him and Tanard will be hanging out soon.

Some of the posts in this thread are hilarious. Get a clue guys.

"Cut him"

"I want him gone"

Etc.

We don't have that luxury if he's talented. He didn't kill someone or beat his wife.

As fans, this is our best move: we hope he turns it around. And we keep hoping he turns it around until he doesn't.

Obviously we're going to be angry, but put it in goddamn perspective, people: imagine if we had cut Trent Williams when he looked like he might be a trouble player. And he managed to turn it around despite a guy like Fred Davis on the roster.

Will be interesting to see what happens the first time a Denver player tests positive and decides to challenge it. A lot of cases in CO working their way through the courts now on being punished for doing something legal on your own time.

The player would lose. Anyone who attempts a similar challenge will lose. Guaranteed.

No such thing as "legal on your own time" if you have detectable levels when you're at work.

Think of the policy implications. Say I own a construction company. I'm not allowed to drug test my employees for weed anymore? What if one of them causes a fire? Will never ever happen.

Private employers can regulate. It is and has been that way with medicinal so far. You aren't required to make any accommodations. You have cancer and a prescription? Sorry. I have a drug-free workplace policy and I don't have to change it for anyone

My Grandmother always said, "a lesson learned is worth a hundred taught." If he learns his lesson then it was worth it.

Oh and weed should be legal. My wife suffers from MS and she can't even see if it would help her but the VA will give her a bottle of morphine and dilaudid for pain. Our country is just backwards.

Some of the posts in this thread are hilarious. Get a clue guys.

"Cut him"

"I want him gone"

Etc.

We don't have that luxury if he's talented. He didn't kill someone or beat his wife.

As fans, this is our best move: we hope he turns it around. And we keep hoping he turns it around until he doesn't.

Obviously we're going to be angry, but put it in goddamn perspective, people: imagine if we had cut Trent Williams when he looked like he might be a trouble player. And he managed to turn it around despite a guy like Fred Davis on the roster.

this and not for nothing, the FO said in the offseason months ago we weren't going to be so stringent on having only choir boys..  today's NFL is not the Joe Gibbs 1 NFL where we can afford to get rid of people that don't conform to high standards...  not to mention where Jay Gruden came from with all they've had to deal with which was a running joke..  

I wonder, when it's finally legal (decriminalized), if players will still get in trouble for the ol' MJ.

I also wonder if anyone sits these kids down, tells them that they'll only have a short window to make an insane amount of money, that they shouldn't squander a one in a million opportunity.

Quick read of the appropriate docs seems to indicate that they could still get in trouble unless MJ was legalized at the federal level and all states the NFL operates in.  The NFL could even discipline players if it is legalized but probably wouldn't,  I wonder if they could redefine it as a PED?

I know you were being a bit snarky but what does the weeds legality have to do with anything?

My thoughts as well. Anytime this comes up it turns into, pot should be legal, or if pot was legal conversation.  Even if it was legal, it would still not allowed in the league, period. The legality is a moot point.

People, please relax...  It's not like Breeland tested positive... It was a possession thing, not a failed test....  not that he won't test positive if/when tested....   and even then, it takes a 3rd time to actually get suspended for a few games according to league rules........  he'll wake it up...  i have faith... he's not gonna be a Fred Davis....   at least I hope not....

http://images.nflplayers.com/mediaResources/files/PDFs/PlayerDevelopment/2010%20Drug%20Policy.pdf

1st offense - Enter the Program

2nd offense - Enter Stage 2 (up to a 3/17ths fine of your annual salary)

3rd offense - Enter Stage 3 (up to a 4 game suspension, 5/17ths fine of annual salary)

so on and so on....

Allegedly this is is second offense.  Yes... already.

I believe that you get a pass on the first offense only if you were caught by NFL testing.  Getting convicted of a crime, including possession, gets you a suspension of at least four games, no mulligan.  See p. 20 (Section II) of your link.

Archived