Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The "everything" Rafael Edward "ted" Cruz Thread

@DCGoldPants

We've had them for Obama, Romney, Cain, and Bachmann. Usually these come election season....but Senator Cruz is a news making machine. Since the shutdown thread should be done, and this isn't GOP Biz vs. Tea Party-centric thing. Here is a thread dedicated to the one and only.

Cruz: Senate Republicans are 'single-most damaging thing' for the GOP in 2014

(CNN) - If Republicans suffer losses in next year's mid-term elections because of the recent partial government shutdown, Sen. Ted Cruz said Senate Republicans–not Democrats–will be responsible.

"The single-most damaging thing that has happened to Republicans for 2014 is all of the Senate Republicans coming out, attacking the House Republicans, attacking those pushing the effort to defund Obamacare and lining themselves up opposite of the American people," Cruz told CNN Chief Congressional Correspondent Dana Bash in an interview in San Antonio.

His comments, which aired Monday on "New Day," come as a new CNN/ORC International survey indicates that more than half of the country is displeased with Republicans holding majority power in the House.

According to the poll, 54% say it's a bad thing that the GOP controls the House, up 11 points from last December, soon after the 2012 elections when the Republicans kept control of the chamber. Only 38% say it's a good thing the GOP controls the House, a 13-point dive from the end of last year.

Cruz to CNN: ‘I don’t work for the party bosses in Washington’

This is the first time since Republicans won back the House in the 2010 elections that a majority of people say GOP control of the chamber is bad for the country.

Cruz helped lead the conservative Republican strategy to attach anti-Obamacare provisions to must-pass spending legislation this fall. With the support of the White House, the Democratic-controlled Senate refused to take up anything that tried to dismantle the president's signature health care law.

Ultimately the disagreement led to the 16-day partial government shutdown, which removed $24 billion from the economy, according to an initial analysis from Standard & Poor's.

more from the link.

okay, it's not a Ted Cruz story.  But it's closely related to him.  And besides, Mike Lee does not merit his own thread.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/in-utah-tea-party-favorite-sen-lee-faces-gop-backlash-over-government-shutdown/2013/10/22/9754e782-3b25-11e3-a94f-b58017bfee6c_story.html?tid=pm_politics_pop

SALT LAKE CITY — When Mike Lee toppled longtime Republican Sen. Robert F. Bennett here in 2010, it was the tea party’s first big triumph. But now, after a 16-day government shutdown, it’s Lee who faces a revolt within his own party.

Utah, one of the most Republican states in the nation, has a long tradition of being represented by pragmatic, business-minded conservatives in the U.S. Senate. Lee broke that pattern by governing as an ideological firebrand — standing alongside Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Tex.) in the push for a shutdown in a failed bid to undermine President Obama’s health-care law.

As a result, Lee’s approval ratings in Utah have cratered, and prominent Republicans and local business executives are openly discussing the possibility of mounting a primary challenge against him. Top Republicans are also maneuvering to redesign the party’s nomination system in a way that would likely make it more difficult for Lee to win reelection in 2016.

To hear grievances with Lee’s no-compromise, no-apology governing style, just head to the executive floor of Zions Bank, founded by Mormon settler Brigham Young. Bank President A. Scott Anderson, who raised money for Lee three years ago, sat in his corner office this week harboring second thoughts.

“I think people admire him for sticking to his guns and principles, but I think there are growing frustrations,” Anderson said. “If things are to happen, you can’t just stick to your principles. You have to make things work. . . . You’ve got to be practical.”

Spencer Zwick, a Utah native and national finance chairman for Mitt Romney’s 2012 presidential campaign, was more direct, calling Lee a “show horse” who “just wants to be a spectacle.”

“Business leaders that I talk to, many of whom supported him, would never support his reelection and in fact will work against him, myself included,” Zwick said.

Plenty more at the link.  Interesting stuff.

• 10 months later...

Also related to ISIS story, and maybe a balls-plus-integrity move for Cruz.

(note--article headline misleading as it appears by the story that Cruz chose to walk off to make a point)

http://theweek.com/article/index/267950/speedreads-ted-cruz-booed-off-stage-while-defending-israel

Ted Cruz booed off stage while defending Israel

Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) abruptly walked off stage at an event organized by a pro-Christian organization in Washington, D.C., Wednesday night after the crowd turned on him for vociferously defending Israel.

Delivering the keynote at an event hosted by the group In Defense of Christians, which raises awareness for persecuted Christians and other religious minorities in the Middle East, Cruz said, "Christians have no greater ally than Israel." That's when the crowd began to boo,according to The Daily Caller.

He also lumped Hamas, Hezbollah, ISIS, and al Qaeda together, saying they "are all engaged in a vicious genocidal campaign to destroy religious minorities in the Middle East."

"Those who hate Israel hate America," he added, prompting more boos and heckling.

As the crowd continued to shout, Cruz said, "If you will not stand with Israel and the Jews, then I will not stand with you," and then left the stage. --Jon Terbush

<38 sec video at link>

It's a truly brave move for a Republican to piss off a bunch of Arabs.

Actually, I think that episode shows just how narrow the Republican Party's world view is. It's become a Southern Evangelical Party, which means that it has the worldview of Southern Evangelicals. And it seems to have this natural assumption that all Christians view the world through that Southern Evangelical lens.

Middle Eastern Christians are not Southern Evangelicals, and they don't share that view that Israel needs to exist in order for the Second Coming of Christ to occur. They also have a first hand experience with Israel that does not match those of Southern Evangelicals whose goal is to take a once in a lifetime guided tour of The Holy Land where they will be protected by amed Israeli soliders at all times.

But Cruz thinks that he will give the same speech to these folks that he would give to the Southern Baptist Convention and get the same result.

this discussion as in the conference on persecuted Christians and other religious minorities???....or the one just talking trash?  :P

the one where you suggest that Cruz essentially demanding unconditional support for Israel and its policies was really nothing more than Cruz just "pointing out Israel supports and allows religious diversity."

Anger in that room toward Israel did not come from the fact that "Israel allows religious diversity blah blah blah"       

the one where you suggest that Cruz essentially demanding unconditional support for Israel and its policies was really nothing more than Cruz just "pointing out Israel supports and allows religious diversity."

Anger in that room toward Israel did not come from the fact that "Israel allows religious diversity blah blah blah"       

the demand came after the booing started and did not include support for all it's policies

is there another country in the area with near the same religious tolerance?

add

If “Christians have no greater ally than Israel.” causes you to lose composure ya got issues

perhaps a transcript and recording will help

Transcript of Ted Cruz’s Remarks at In Defense of Christians Summit

[applause]

CRUZ:

Good evening. Today we are gathered at a time of extraordinary challenge. Tonight we are all united in defense of Christians [applause]. Tonight, we are all united in defense of Jews [applause]. Tonight we are all united in defense of people of good faith who are standing together against those who would persecute and murder those who would dare disagree with their religious beliefs. Religious bigotry is a cancer with many manifestations. ISIS, al-Qaeda, Hezbollah, Hamas [applause], and their state sponsors like Syria and Iran [applause], are all engage in a vicious genocidal campaign to destroy religious minorities in the Middle East. Sometimes we are told not to loop these groups together, that we  have to understand their so-called nuances and differences. But we shouldn’t try to parse different manifestations of evil that are on a murderous rampage throughout the region. hate is hate. And murder is murder.

Our purpose here tonight is to highlight a terrible injustice. A humanitarian crisis. Christians, are being systematically exterminated. In 1948, Jews throughout the Middle East faced murder and extermination and fled to the nation of Israel. And today, Christians have no greater ally than the Jewish state. [mixed applause, boos, “come on”] Let me say this, those who hate Israel, hates America. And those who hate Jews, hate Christians. And if this room will not recognize that, then my heart weeps, that the men and women here will not stand in solidarity with Jews and Christians alike who are persecuted by radicals [applause] who seek to — [applause]. If you hate the Jewish people you are not reflecting the teachings of Christ [applause]. And the very same people who persecute and murder Christians right now, who crucify Christians and behead Children are the very same people who target and murder Jews for their faith for the very same reason. [applause, murmering, objections]. I will say this. I am saddened [shouting].

[iDC President Toufic Baaklini comes out to urge respect]

I will say this, I am saddened, to see that some here, not all but some here, are so consumed with hate [no, boos], that they cannot enjoy [unintelligible, boos]. I will say this, if you will not stand with Israel and the Jews, then I will not stand with you. Thank you, and God bless. [boos]

http://www.theamericanconservative.com/coppage/ted-cruz-crashes-defense-of-christians-summit/

I guess the question is why does a speech to Arab Christians focus so much on Israel? I honestly do not get what his intent is here .

Is he telling Arab Christians to move to Israel? Is he suggesting that Israel should invade Syria to protect Christians? Is he just trying to bash Muslims?

The bottom line is that Jews in Israel are far far far safer from ISIL/ISIS than Christians or Muslims in Syria and Iraq. If I am a Christian who has family in Iraq, what the hell do I care about Israel right now? Israel can more than defend itself.

So he got applauded when he talked about defending Christians.  He got applauded when he talked about defending Jews.  He got applauded when he talked about the general subject matter of persecution of religious minorities.

When he tried to turn it into a "Rah Rah Israel" speech, people realized what he was doing and didn't play along.   So he immediately accused them of "hated America" and "hating Jews" which understandably pissed them off even more.

Of course twa doesn't see how that happened.  AIn twa's mind, all Cruz did was "point out that Israel supports and allows religious diversity"    :lol: 

I guess the question is why does a speech to Arab Christians focus so much on Israel? I honestly do not get what his intent is here .

Is he telling Arab Christians to move to Israel? Is he suggesting that Israel should invade Syria to protect Christians? Is he just trying to bash Muslims?

The bottom line is that Jews in Israel are far far far safer from ISIL/ISIS than Christians or Muslims in Syria and Iraq. If I am a Christian who has family in Iraq, what the hell do I care about Israel right now? Israel can more than defend itself.

it seems rather obvious he was using a prior example of persecution....to me.

Predicto....didn't play along?....ya mean booed a speech at a conference on tolerance  :rolleyes:

it seems rather obvious he was using a prior example of persecution....to me.

Predicto....didn't play along?....ya mean booed a speech at a conference on tolerance :rolleyes:

Perhaps because he came to a conference about tolerance, with a speech about supporting an apartheid government?

Just a theory.

Archived