RonArtest15

***2018-19 NBA Offseason Thread***

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Those are great but they just dont have the significance that other greats do. That's why his block was special. 

 

He was headed for a signature play/moment in Game 6 against the Spurs, rallying the team back once the headband was knocked off but Ray Allen stole all the thunder of that game. If LeBron hits the 3 that led to Allen's play, I think Lebron is revered even more and would have that signature moment

 

His signature moment should be winning a championship in Cleveland. 

 

He didn't have to go back to that dumpster fire, but he went back home anyway and got them their only championship against a 73 win team.  Does that block in final 2 minutes of game 7 not count as a signature moment?  He also had a triple double in that game, on the road, following the only 3-1 comeback in Finals history.

Edited by Renegade7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Renegade7 said:

 

His signature moment should be winning a championship in Cleveland.  He didn't have to go back to that dumpster fire, but he went back home anyway and got them their only championship against a 73 win team.  Does that block in final 2 minutes of game 7 not count as a signature moment?  He also had a triple double in that game, on the road, following the only 3-1 comeback in Finals history.

 

I said the block was his signature moment but it’s still not a play that’s quite the same as other players signature plays or moments. Just odd that a player as great as he is, arguably the greatest, has a chase down block as his signature moment/play 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

 

I said the block was his signature moment but it’s still not a play that’s quite the same as other players signature plays or moments. Just odd that a player as great as he is, arguably the greatest, has a chase down block as his signature moment/play 

 

Ya, I just saw that, my bad.  In a way, I'm agreeing with you, but I guess what I'm seeing from this convo is more a signature play then signature moment. 

 

Like I mentioned a couple pages back,I really didn't get to appreciate or really understand Jordan's accomplishments while he was in the middle of it.  So I feel like I'm going out on a limb here when piggy back off what LBK mentioned in that we are not only over-saturated with special LeBron plays, but maybe even spoiled by it. 

 

TIL he has more made FGs in the final 5 seconds of 4Q or OT in a playoff game then Jordan and with less attempts.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I dunno how you can say that play doesn’t have any significance like other greater players. They were at a deadlock and neither team was scoring. No doubt in my mind if Iggy makes it the warriors win. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/17/2018 at 12:35 AM, Dr. Do Itch Big said:

I dunno how you can say that play doesn’t have any significance like other greater players. They were at a deadlock and neither team was scoring. No doubt in my mind if Iggy makes it the warriors win. 

 

I never said it didn't have significance. I specifically said the circumstances around it are why it is his signature play. 

 

Just surprising that his "moment" is a chase down block. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

 

I never said it didn't have significance. I specifically said the circumstances around it are why it is his signature play. 

 

Just surprising that his "moment" is a chase down block. 

 

I don't think it's surprising. I actually think that's the one play that Lebron does better than anyone in NBA history. Every time I watch him play and someone on the other team has a breakaway layup, I assume he's going to block it from behind.

 

(Wade is the best I've ever seen at the "guard blocking a shot from behind" play. Lebron's chasedown blocks make me think the Skins could sign him as a free safety today and he would be an all-pro).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn't mean surprising in that he did it because he's always made the court look small with his ability to cover it so quickly and has been great at chase-down blocks since forever. 

 

I just mean it's surprising that the signature play of somebody that is arguably the greatest player ever is a chase down block. This isn't the Shaq alley-oop play against the blazers, the Bird steal, the multitude of Jordan plays/moments etc. 

 

Perhaps it makes sense since because he has always been unselfish so why would his signature play be a game winning shot or something like that. Still, when I see highlights of the great plays and moments playing before an NBA Finals game or the playoffs etc, this one stands out as uniquely different. I guess he is like Duncan in that regard. Just ruthlessly efficient and effective without a lot of the grandeur of some of the other all timers.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

Wade is the best I've ever seen at the "guard blocking a shot from behind" play.

Wade had over 100 blocks in a season.  Not sure if any other guard has ever managed that.  John Wall's the current best shot blocking guard, not sure he'll be as good as Wade was, but he's definitely one of the best ever.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Lonzo Ball is a great shotblocker.  I feel like he can get 100+ one season.

Does Ben SImmons count?  He's technically a point guard. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

See they getting Bill Russell involved to try to calm down that relationship the refs and players right now.  Solid, desperate move.

20 minutes ago, Dr. Do Itch Big said:

LeBron 40 point triple double. 

Early preview of the Playoff LeBron Steve keeps trying to warn us about.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Destino said:

Does Ben SImmons count?  He's technically a point guard. 

Gun to my head, he's 6'10, so if we're going to consider him a point guard, shouldn't we do the same with LeBron?  I've been trying to wrap my head around this Simmons guy and seen him play us a couple times as well, is there any real reason he can't play or start the 3 and still run the offense?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The league is never going to solve anything between refs and players without cracking down on the bull**** players are pulling.  They are plainly abusive towards the refs and endlessly search for ways to get calls rather than legitimately play the game.  How can a group that engages in constant attempts to fool the refs, turn around and complain about call accuracy?  

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The refs have zero credibility.  Until the league cleans house, raise their salaries to like a million a year so that they aren't as tempted to cheat, and bans them from gambling, they will never have credibility.

 

It's far too easy for them to get away with point shaving.  They have an immense amount of control over the outcome of games and there is minimal oversight of their actions.  There are so many games played and broadcast only on local cable channels that it's the easiest con in sports to point shave a mid-week mid-February Wizards-Pistons game.  There is no accountability whatsoever.

 

Set the point-shaving aside, and they'd still have no credibility because so many of them officiate with transparent personal biases.  Biases so well-known that professional gamblers make money off of tracking them.

 

The refs are their own little racket, nothing more, and this spat with the players is a turf war.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Renegade7 said:

See they getting Bill Russell involved to try to calm down that relationship the refs and players right now.  Solid, desperate move.

Early preview of the Playoff LeBron Steve keeps trying to warn us about.

 

Playoff LeBron ain't gonna be enough this year. I will be vindicated in the end.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Destino said:

The league is never going to solve anything between refs and players without cracking down on the bull**** players are pulling.  They are plainly abusive towards the refs and endlessly search for ways to get calls rather than legitimately play the game.  How can a group that engages in constant attempts to fool the refs, turn around and complain about call accuracy?  

There should be a zero tolerance policy. If you say one word to the ref, automatic technical. Do that for a year. Its getting ridiculous. The NFL should do the same thing with WRs whining for PI.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

The refs have zero credibility.  Until the league cleans house, raise their salaries to like a million a year so that they aren't as tempted to cheat, and bans them from gambling, they will never have credibility.

Remember the refs are the ones that lack credibility while watching the rockets in the post season.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Destino said:

Remember the refs are the ones that lack credibility while watching the rockets in the post season.  

 

Flopping is one thing.  I bet if we put the Rockets players under the microscope we wouldn't find them point-shaving and having contacts with professional gamblers and bookies and members of organized crime.  They don't need the money.

 

Complaining about the players' behavior towards refs depriving us of integrity in competition is like worrying about the bad rash when you're dying of syphillis.  NBA refs get **** on because they're pieces of ****.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Mr. Sinister said:

 

Playoff LeBron ain't gonna be enough this year. I will be vindicated in the end.

 

I stand by my prediction that with a healthy Wall + "Everybody Eats" we knock him out.  Right now, that's like waiting on Frankenstein's monster to get off the table; storm overhead, but no lightning yet.

Edited by Renegade7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Destino said:

Remember the refs are the ones that lack credibility while watching the rockets in the post season.  

 

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

 

Flopping is one thing.  I bet if we put the Rockets players under the microscope we wouldn't find them point-shaving and having contacts with professional gamblers and bookies and members of organized crime.  They don't need the money.

 

Complaining about the players' behavior towards refs depriving us of integrity in competition is like worrying about the bad rash when you're dying of syphillis.  NBA refs get **** on because they're pieces of ****.

 

As usual, Steve is right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

 

 

As usual, Steve is right.

They both are, but this is a chicken before the egg debate.  NBA could replace all the refs with better ones, but the line has been moved in terms of what players can get away with in regards to how they treat them.  They'd be making a mistake not turning that line into an electric fence, players are still going to flop, argue, and call out the refs at the level they are no matter who is calling the game if they don't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.