Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

22 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

I was only 10 yrs old when the last shot happened

Yep, it's big reason why I try not to get too deep into the Jordan vs LeBron debate.  I remember people putting on NBC even though they weren't Chicago fans just to watch this guy steal souls on some Shang Tsung mess, that much made sense to me.  I didn't understand basketball anymore then I did football when I was single digits, I kinda just could tell when something good or bad was happening.  The '99 playoff game against the Lions is when **** clicked on for me.

This is going to sound bad, but the majority of what I remember actually seeing Jordan play live was with the Wizards : /  Him joining the front office was only reason I started following the team, no one else did to my knowledge at the time.  I was watching games by myself on WB50, and by then, I knew trading Rip for Stackhouse was a bad idea.  I was mad as hell.

Does watching games on Youtube count as seeing someone play?  I don't think it does, there's full games out there now, but I don't think that compares to following someone's career.  Serious question for anyone my age, how do you understand how basketball was being played before Jordan's first retirement?  Are you kinda just going off what people have said or what you've seen on Youtube yourself?  I don't even try with people's top fives, I never even seen Magic play, let alone Wilt or Bill Russell.

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 1

1996 was so damn long ago. I think mg Bulls infatuation started to wait a bit once we started getting really good, and were inevitably served up to them. I remember that more than anything, and a brutal series they had with Indiana (forget which year that was)

10 minutes ago, Destino said:

Spurs just dropped to 10th.  Somewhere Predicto is smiling into a flames of one of his many fireplaces, figs forgotten.

It's not enough to win, others must lose.  

They're due. Gump ass fans don't know what it feels like. I want them to know pain and sufdering.

Wizards play them twice before this month is over.  I need to see this for myself before I can say they suck now and I win (I already did, but I take no pleasure patting myself on the back on this one).  That's a class organization that does everything right even when they do everything wrong, wish we were half the franchise they were. 

Khawi isn't even back yet, they got a lot of teams over .500 out West outside looking in, but there's like 4 teams tied at 16 games back right now.  Are all three teams ahead of Spurs better then San Antonio with a healthy Leonard?

I'm not as old as Predicto - no one is - but I was 11 when Jordan entered the league and 13 when he dropped 63 on the Celtics in the playoffs.

Here is the Jordan debate at my lunch table.

He's not as good as Magic and Bird. He's never won a playoff game.

He's selfish.

He's a ball hog.

He won't pass.

It was just Cleveland.

He's a choker who can't get to the Finals.

He's just not tough enough,

The refs and the league wanted him to win that title.

All right, maybe he's pretty good.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was too old for Space Jam. The Jordan as entertainment star moment from me was the night he hosted SNL. That may have been the blackest SNL ever was. The musical guest that night was Public Enemy. And that was the episode where Jesse Jackson read "Green Eggs and Ham" to mark Dr. Seuss' death. Chris Rock did a Nat X skit. Spike Lee was on the show. They did a tribute to Miles Davis. I mean, in 1991, this was like moving to Bed Stuy.

http://snltranscripts.jt.org/91/91a.phtml

"I don't have to dribble the ball fast or throw the ball into the basket."

Edited by Lombardi's_kid_brother

My first basketball memory was actually crying to my mom to make my older brother change the channel back to America's funniest home videos instead of the Bulls/Suns finals. He still kept switching and i actually became pretty interested that series. I was always interested in Jordan because my dad said he could fly and I took it literally as a dumb young kid that still believed in Santa Clause. So I was kinda disappointed I had missed out on him.

Still, I kept up with the whole baseball stuff because I had just gotten into baseball that summer too and began following the NBA the following season w/o Jordan. I remember when he came back how excited me and my brother were we danced around the bedroom and went outside and played basketball in the cold for 2 hours. 

I followed him religiously upon his return. Well, by religiously I mean checking the newspaper for the results and boxscores and catching every NBA on NBC game I could. I was all in. 

I don't remember the Blazers-Bulls or Lakers-Bulls finals, nor do I remember the Suns-Bulls finals very well.  I remember the Rockets-Knicks and the whole OJ Bronco chase fiasco.  And I Rockets-Magic finals well because I was a Penny Hardaway fan and was pulling for Orlando.  I also remember watching Jordan's I'm Back game against the Pacers.  I credit NBA Jam TE for getting me into the NBA.

I rooted against Jordan when he was playing.  I rooted for the Sonics and the Jazz in those Finals.  I desperately wanted someone to beat him.  For as long as I can remember, I have hated the idea of rooting for Goliath.

The 90's really sucked for me as a sports fan.  I hated the Braves and Cowboys, who were the two most popular teams in my town by a long shot.  I also hated the Yankees, Duke and UNC basketball, and Florida State, Miami, and Nebraska football.

My teams were the Redskins and Cleveland Indians and VT football.  Very disappointing.  Don't want to say which NHL team I rooted for.  In basketball, I tended to root for my favorite players rather than their teams.  It wasn't until my freshman year in college in 04-05 when we got the Nats and Arenas busted out that my fanhood unified around the DC teams.

According to my father, basketball was my favorite tv show as a baby. I apparently liked the fact that the screen moved back and forth. If I had been born this century, someone would have diagnosed me as on the spectrum.

First memory is, I believe, the Celtics-Sixers in 81 or maybe 82. I went in a Dr J fan, because he was literally the only basketball player I knew. I came out a Bird fan, because that was my mom's maiden name so I assumed he was, like, a cousin. Also, I was a big believe that white guy hustle could overcome everything in my early days as a sports fan. Riggins. Larry Bird. Bobby Knight. Joe Paterno. And Willie Stargell, because I liked to keep people on their toes.

I have far far far more affection for the NBA on CBS than I do the NBA on NBC. That theme music was insane.

3 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

It wasn't until my freshman year in college in 04-05 when we got the Nats and Arenas busted out that my fanhood unified around the DC teams.

Ya, that's around the time I started to follow teams because of their DC roots as opposed for other reasons.  My dad didn't like it, but he understood when I gave up my Yankee fanhood in hopes of the Nationals playing good helping the area. 

I don't think I was planning on that success being used to help kickout pretty much everyone living in SW waterfront and around navy yard, though.   I mean, MCI Center was one of the best things that could've happened to Downtown DC, but I think that's because people wanted Downtown to be rebuilt, not the rest of the city.   It took a while, but I finally saw one of my DC cousins repin some Nats gear. Most of my DC family lives in Maryland now because of that same seismic wave of money rolling over Capital Hill right now.

I enjoy hearing ya'lls sports origin stories.  You could make a thread just on that alone.