Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

11 hours ago, Destino said:

The league is never going to solve anything between refs and players without cracking down on the bull**** players are pulling.  They are plainly abusive towards the refs and endlessly search for ways to get calls rather than legitimately play the game.  How can a group that engages in constant attempts to fool the refs, turn around and complain about call accuracy?  

Oh, I tend to think the problem lies more on the refs' side than on the players. Players know which refs have personal issues with them. They know which refs are most influenced by home crowds. They know which refs like the spotlight.

I don't think the refs by and large are shaving points, but after Donaghy, it's hard to ever be confident. But season ticket holders in every arena know what the games are going to be like as soon as they know the names of the refs.

I do think the problem can be solved, because Silver is the type to actually acknowledge that there is a problem. Stern - for all his positive qualities - was a stubborn SOB who probably would have assigned Joey Crawford to 82 Spurs' games if he could have just to prove he had the biggest one at the negotiating table.

58 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

Oh, I tend to think the problem lies more on the refs' side than on the players. Players know which refs have personal issues with them. They know which refs are most influenced by home crowds. They know which refs like the spotlight.

Define the problem.  Personally I think the issue is consistency.  The biggest problem with consistency is that stars get too long a leash and too many calls.  The second problem is that foul shots and constant complaining/screaming isn't what anyone wants to watch.  So to me the entire positioning of this as a negotiation between refs and angry stars is flawed from the start.  

If anything the league should be meeting with the role players that guard star players.  They might have some actual insight on how to even things out.  

The refs and rules need to improve, but that's not going to solve anything so long as we still accept that stars should be refereed differently than anyone else.  You can't build in inconsistency then turn around demand consistency.  

Calling NBA games like a 10th grade jv game in the Prince William County is a solution designed to make 500 high school coaches happy while pissing off a million fans. I think there are a few problems with NBA officiating and the inconsistencies on calling ****ing traveling are not among them.

1. There is an extreme over-emphasize on "controlling the games." This started with those unwatchable Knicks and Heat games in the 90s and reached max overreaction with the Artest fight. For 50 years, players were able to police the games themselves. Now, I have no problem with a zero tolerance policy for punches, because these guys are capable of killing someone with a punch. But the double fouls and double technical and petty calls under the basket when "things are getting a little rough" kill the flow and turn the refs into kindergarten teachers instead of impartial officials.

2. 3 referees may be too many at this point. The idea for three refs was that the game was moving so fast that two could not keep up. The game is twice as fast now as it was then and instead of 2 people guessing half the time, you have 3. Again, I think this leads to over-managing and over-officiating. And with replay now in effect, it's insane that you need a third body out there clogging up an already crowded floor.

3. I'm not sure any referee in America knows how to officiate big men. The problem is bad in the NBA, but it's comical in the NCAA. I almost feel like they need to start from scratch here, rewrite the rule book, and retrain everyone.

When players can't police themselves, they plead to the authority figure. With three officials, there's a lot of pleading. When everyone over 6'8 is officiated poorly, they are going to have a lot to complain about.

I also think you need to interview the player anonymously and get a sense for what officials have obvious biases towards a player or group of players. And I really think you need to know what officials are most influenced by crowds and coaches. A lot of the pleading and whining probably happens because it's effective.

My issue is that when we discuss "problems" in the NBA, we almost always universally say "Drop the hammer on the players." I don't feel like that happens in other sports.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

My issue is that when we discuss "problems" in the NBA, we almost always universally say "Drop the hammer on the players." I don't feel like that happens in other sports.

What other sport has players screaming at refs half as long as basketball?  No one wants to watch players argue with refs all game.  

Also the league reduced travel calls already with the addition of the "zero step" or "gather step" back in 2009.  No one really noticed it and so people still think they're watching three steps that are simply not being called.  Changing the rules to make for less foul calls is a good approach.  They need to narrow what "in the act of shooting" means more so we don't have to watch foul shots so often.  Also, eliminate that absurd move to contact the defenders arm before attempting a shot from a stationary position.  It's dumb, and again it just results in more boring foul shots. 

I really don't care if they travel. They've always been generous with when they consider "gathering" the ball. They've also relaxed traveling as the athleticism has increased. I want to see the best players do fantastic things so being generous on the travel calls when they are gathering the ball and officially counting steps is fine with me. 

The pro-step/hop garbage always bothered me though. 

5 hours ago, Dr. Do Itch Big said:

I think you are wrong on 3 refs. If anything you need a line ref because refs keep missing players going out of bounds. Look at Giannis vs OKC earlier this year. He stepped out of bounds but no call. 

Maybe we need four refs then. More refs for everyone.

I think we're reaching a point with all major sports where the technology for viewing the game has made it clear just how truly impossible it is to officiate any of them.

All the leagues have gone in the direction of trying to be perfect, which has made things worse. No one in the NFL currently has any idea what a freaking catch is. In the NBA, the last two minutes take an hour.

I think to some degree, they need to retrain the players, audiences, and announcers (I'm looking at you, Van Gundy) that this is not going to be perfect.

I don't want more technicals for arguing. I think one of the things that will eliminate that is having the refs walk away. If you watch, they are constantly in conversation with the players, which encourages this nonsense.

(By the way, are any of you impressed that I have no directly said that every NBA rule request is ultimately about teaching black players respect?)

Nothing can really move me, after finding out that there are humans who believe the earth is flat...

Aliens, unicorns, you think the big bang was a wet fart from some supernatural being in another dimension... Knock yourself out.

Edited by Mr. Sinister

25 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Who’s the MVP?

This is Harden's year. We're in the same place where we were in the 90s. The best player in the league every year is Lebron. But it's boring to give him the MVP every year. Harden's numbers are insane, and his team is going to win 15 or so more games than Lebron's.

I will say that if Davis ever puts together a full season that looks like the last two months, he'll win three or four MVPs in a row.

The question I have is whether Satoransky is Top Five.

Edited by Lombardi's_kid_brother
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

All you punks are too young to remember, but Jordan was once too selfish and was never going to win anything.

I just hate that we never saw them either away. Nah, they just deconstruct and carry that Larry O'Brien trophy off into the sunset. Wish they wouldve held on for a couple more years so someone in the East/West could clock them.