Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

Imagine if the US men's national team for soccer had to play a team comprised of all the best players from EU countries in the World Cup/Olympics.  We would lose by like 20 goals.

That's what it should be like for International teams to face Team USA in basketball.  The fact that they're competitive is a testament to how half-assed Team USA truly is.

4 minutes ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

That and they would have to pay every athlete in every sport at the college.  No way that is going to happen either.

No they wouldn't.  Colleges would be perfectly justified in only paying players for programs that actually make money.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

No they wouldn't.  Colleges would be perfectly justified in only paying players for programs that actually make money.

Yes, they would, it's called Title IX.  It doesn't matter how much money any sport there generates, they can't pay athletes in one or two sports and not the others, including women's sports.  

The NCAA system sucks.  Dump it and go with the euro system of letting pro organizations scout, pay, and develop kids at a much younger age.  The kids win, their families win, and the talent is developed in such a way that the league improves.  College ball is only interesting because they have a single elimination tournament.  The actual college game is crap.  

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

Yes, they would, it's called Title IX.  It doesn't matter how much money any sport there generates, they can't pay athletes in one or two sports and not the others, including women's sports.  

OK, pay female basketball players a token salary.  Or let the players have a Union which negotiates directly with the NCAA and the TV networks for their share of the revenue, which they could then pay out to their members in whatever way they deem fit.  Then the colleges wouldn't be the ones paying the players.

Just now, stevemcqueen1 said:

OK, pay female basketball players a token salary.  Or let the players have a Union which negotiates directly with the NCAA and the TV networks for their share of the revenue, which they could then pay out to their members in whatever way they deem fit.  Then the colleges wouldn't be the ones paying the players.

How about their pay is that scholarship for a free ride?  A college education isn't cheap and it's not the colleges fault if any scholarship players choose to leave before obtaining their degree on a free ride (if they keep their grades up, etc.).  If it were three years, then yes the one and dones would be screwed having to wait 2 more years to be eligible for the draft.  So I agree with a lot that has been posted earlier, talking minor league/farm teams that would develop the players.  

Maybe have a good farm system that one and dones can go to if they cant keep up the grades to stay (or choose to go to after they graduate high school) and the ones that can can continue through college for 3 years stay.  

And I'm not saying that I don't agree that college athletes should get paid or get some stipend.  But with the current rules/regulations in place, it would be a waste of money for the school overall since they would have to pay for the girls field hockey team and the boys cross country team, etc.  And we know that the conferences are not going to give up the TV revenue or share it with players.  

13 minutes ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

How about their pay is that scholarship for a free ride?  A college education isn't cheap and it's not the colleges fault if any scholarship players choose to leave before obtaining their degree on a free ride (if they keep their grades up, etc.).  If it were three years, then yes the one and dones would be screwed having to wait 2 more years to be eligible for the draft.  So I agree with a lot that has been posted earlier, talking minor league/farm teams that would develop the players.  

Maybe have a good farm system that one and dones can go to if they cant keep up the grades to stay (or choose to go to after they graduate high school) and the ones that can can continue through college for 3 years stay.  

And I'm not saying that I don't agree that college athletes should get paid or get some stipend.  But with the current rules/regulations in place, it would be a waste of money for the school overall since they would have to pay for the girls field hockey team and the boys cross country team, etc.  And we know that the conferences are not going to give up the TV revenue or share it with players.  

Don't do this...

As an ex-NCAA athlete, I can tell you right now that every second of your day is pretty much planned out.  You have no time for anything other than the sport you're there to play.  You're not getting a part-time job if you're playing one of the major sports at the D1 level.  It's free labor and the hour spent doing that sport don't justify it at all. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, RonArtest15 said:

Don't do this...

As an ex-NCAA athlete, I can tell you right now that every second of your day is pretty much planned out.  You have no time for anything other than the sport you're there to play.  You're not getting a part-time job if you're playing one of the major sports at the D1 level.  It's free labor and the hour spent doing that sport don't justify it at all. 

I never said anything about part time jobs.  I said they should get paid or get a stipend for being a college athlete.  And my reasoning behind that is it is a full-time job being an athlete and going to class on top of it.  

While I do think that getting a free education (scholarship players) is a form of payment, I understand the time constraints involved that would prevent one from working a part time job.  One has to have money or needs money for food, gas, etc. that would not be covered under the scholarship.  A per semester or per year stipend for food, gas, etc. should be available or at minimum.  

2 hours ago, Destino said:

The NCAA system sucks.  Dump it and go with the euro system of letting pro organizations scout, pay, and develop kids at a much younger age.  The kids win, their families win, and the talent is developed in such a way that the league improves.  College ball is only interesting because they have a single elimination tournament.  The actual college game is crap.  

I agree with this, but we have this misguided notion in this country that college is the absolute end all be all and if you don't go its disastrous.

Let the best go pro whenever, and college sports can be played by TRUE amateurs who actually stay all four years and get real jobs after.

2 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

I agree with this, but we have this misguided notion in this country that college is the absolute end all be all and if you don't go its disastrous.

Let the best go pro whenever, and college sports can be played by TRUE amateurs who actually stay all four years and get real jobs after.

That's clearly not the impediment in this case.  Otherwise, you wouldn't see the baseball system operate.

There are 2 driving factors:

1.  The NCAA makes a ton of money on basketball.

2.  The NBA wants to have players that have some name recognition and have gone through some development/hurdles before giving them millions of dollars.  

The NBA absolutely could have not put in the high school +1 requirement in the last CBA.  They clearly feel that making kids make that transition and play another year gives them a better idea of who they should be paying money to and/or the incentive to have strong college basketball programs helps them (i.e. it allows people to build name recognition).

(Anybody actually know the NBA rule.  Could I draft a guy right out of high school, sign him to a contract and then send him to Europe of the D league for a year?  Is it high school + 1 year to get drafted or to actually play in the NBA?  (Or is the NBA depending on the idea that teams aren't going to want to pay somebody big money to go play someplace else for a year and lose the time on the NBA contract)).

16 hours ago, PeterMP said:

That's clearly not the impediment in this case.  Otherwise, you wouldn't see the baseball system operate.

There are 2 driving factors:

1.  The NCAA makes a ton of money on basketball.

2.  The NBA wants to have players that have some name recognition and have gone through some development/hurdles before giving them millions of dollars.  

The NBA absolutely could have not put in the high school +1 requirement in the last CBA.  They clearly feel that making kids make that transition and play another year gives them a better idea of who they should be paying money to and/or the incentive to have strong college basketball programs helps them (i.e. it allows people to build name recognition).

(Anybody actually know the NBA rule.  Could I draft a guy right out of high school, sign him to a contract and then send him to Europe of the D league for a year?  Is it high school + 1 year to get drafted or to actually play in the NBA?  (Or is the NBA depending on the idea that teams aren't going to want to pay somebody big money to go play someplace else for a year and lose the time on the NBA contract)).

The one year removed from high school before you can be drafted rule is stupid.  Either revert to the way it was before or make it equal to college football and extend it to 3 years.  Most high school graduates are 18 years old and I don't think one year is going to make them that much more mature to enter the NBA at age 19.  

Granted, they would be 21 years old when they enter if the bailed after 3 years.  But that three years there, they have coaches to help them along and help them mature their game along with themselves.  

21 minutes ago, RonArtest15 said:

Anyone wanna discuss Russ' 58 last night?  Heroic effort, or *Heroic effort?  And I think yall know what I'm getting at w/ the *

Didnt watch the game, but im gonna go with the former. Im telling y'all, that team is trust the process bad, without Westbrook

47 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Didnt watch the game, but im gonna go with the former. Im telling y'all, that team is trust the process bad, without Westbrook

When you get a second, look at the shot totals from Westbrook, compared to the rest of his squad.  For as good as he is, it's got to be maddening being his teammate at times. 

On 3/7/2017 at 11:18 AM, Destino said:

It's crap now because it's a bunch of 18 and 19 year olds running around like chickens with their heads cut off. Just pay the damn players as an incentive to stay an extra year.

Has anyone heard Lonzo Ball's dad comments directed at Barkley? "If you were more like me, you'd have a championship."

Man, if I were Barkley, I would have responded, "If you were more like me and your son, you wouldn't have to use him to get cheap publicity."

This guy needs to go away.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, DM72 said:

Has anyone heard Lonzo Ball's dad comments directed at Barkley? "If you were more like me, you'd have a championship."

Man, if I were Barkley, I would have responded, "If you were more like me and your son, you wouldn't have to use him to get cheap publicity."

He will eventually, once his kid starts paying the price on the court.

Steph Curry lol. Barkley shouldn't even acknowledge him. HOF Dream Teamer. Way below Chucks pay grade

I want Cleveland

Edited by Mr. Sinister
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, DM72 said:

God I hate dads like that. If I was his son I would straight up tell him to STFU.

I feel bad for Lonzo (who seems like a good kid.)  Folks are going to go at his neck and hope for him to fail, just because of how moronic his dad is.  Dad has made his son's potential NBA career about himself and his "brand."  And by brand, I mean the BBB merchandise he's hawking.  $50 for a white-T...LOL. 

Edited by RonArtest15
  • Like 1

One more thing, I hope Lonzo is smart enough to ignore his idiot father and hire an agent.  He needs an agent more than anyone.  Someone who can tell him his dad is a selfish, money-grubbing moron who doesn't have his best interests at heart.  Get a ****ing shoe deal with Nike or Adidas while you can.  Don't try and sell your dad's crap for him.

13 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Steph is going to kill him. Poor kid

And the a month later, LaVar Ball is going to sue him for 50 million dollars claiming Steph did "irreparable harm to his son's ankles and his brand."

• Like 3