Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

16 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Basketball Gods did that to him. Cavs Ripped his knee up and cost him the greatest season ever. Then he signs with the Cavs anyway and breaks his leg.

justice has been served  

Thats what happens when you enter LeBron's event horizon

• Like 2

Kawhi is my MVP now that Durant is hurt and will miss the final two months.

1 - Kawhi

2 - Harden

3 - LeBron

4 - Westbrook

Kawhi checks all of the boxes.

- Best player on a one star team

- Top 2 seed

- Great offensive numbers

- Elite advanced metrics like ORtg and PER with a usage rate over 30

- Elite defender

What separates him from Harden is that Harden is on the three seed (only four MVPs have come from below a two seed since the merger) and Harden doesn't play any defense whatsoever.

I thought Westbrook would win MVP before the season began because I thought he would average a triple double, but I'm off that train now that I've actually watched how he's doing it.  The MVP voters need to do right by Kawhi and reward him for playing dominant two way basketball and leading a championship contender.   They should not reward shameless stat padding and dumb basketball for a mediocre team.

• Like 2

I'd take Kawhi on the Wiz above any other player in the league not named LeBron who isn't in this discussion since he's reached where MJ was after '91 ( we know you're the best, but let's give other people a chance to win too)

Kawhi is my MVP, he is just so ****ing good defensively and his offensive game has blossomed since he came into the league.

3 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

BTW is this the worst rookie of the year race ever?  The only guy remotely deserving of the award was Embiid, and he's a third year player who only played 786 minutes.

Pathetic showing from the rookie class.

I thi k the NBA needs to institute a 3 year rule like the NFL. The league constantly gets flooded with these one and done cats that are raw af. They need more seasoning, so when they get to the league, they can at least already a strong grasp of the fundamentals

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

I thi k the NBA needs to institute a 3 year rule like the NFL. The league constantly gets flooded with these one and done cats that are raw af. They need more seasoning, so when they get to the league, they can at least already a strong grasp of the fundamentals

I think this is more of a case of the D/G League becoming more of a "minor league" system like MLB has.  I don't believe that there needs to be a 3 year rule...just a better job of development by coaches/teams BEFORE these guys become pros in the NBA.

Also, look at the European influence on NBA rosters.  It's everywhere.  Why?  They do a much better job at developing younger talent than the AAU/college circuit here in the states.  There's a disconnect somewhere that needs to be addressed.  Until then, we'll see more of the same.  Guys who are completely raw and not ready. 

Also, in regards to Russ being the MVP...check out this article by Neil Greenberg.  It got me thinking even more about his shot at winning.  I just don't see it. 

Mark Cuban is right: Russell Westbrook doesn’t deserve to be NBA MVP

Edited by RonArtest15
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, RonArtest15 said:

Also, in regards to Russ being the MVP...check out this article by Neil Greenberg.  It got me thinking even more about his shot at winning.  I just don't see it. 

Mark Cuban is right: Russell Westbrook doesn’t deserve to be NBA MVP

I can roll with that. To me, its a far better argument than the one concerning his rebounds

5 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

At least a two year rule.  I see a guy like Brandon Ingram coming in as the second overall pick and he simply does not have the body to play in the NBA yet.  He needed another year or two at Duke just to physically develop.

But then there were one and dones like John Wall who was ready to play in the NBA before he ever set foot on Kentucky's campus.  These guys are rare though.

A two year rule would make college basketball way better too.  Kentucky and Kansas and UCLA and Duke all rely on the dynamic that the one and done rule creates.  They wouldn't be able to monopolize all of the top recruits if those guys knew that last year's top recruits were still on the team and they wouldn't play their freshman seasons.  Spread the top talent around more and make them stay in the NCAA for more than 15 minutes and college basketball would have way more star power to draw in casual fans.

BUT, if you do that, then the college players need to get paid.  The NBA uses the NCAA as a minor league and it's not fair to the American kids that they have to play for free while the International kids get paid.

Forcing guys to play college ball who are clearly 1 and dones is an absolute joke.  Waste of time for everyone involved.  Think if every NBA team had a legit "farm" system?  You can get drafted straight out of HS, get paid, and be getting better/proper coaching that puts you on the path to hopefully becoming a pro.  Of course there are exceptions to every rule...guys who are capable of playing in the NBA from day 1, but for guys like Brandon Ingram, Thon Maker, etc., they can get meaningful experience/coaching BEFORE stepping foot on a NBA floor (not counting summer league.) 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

At least a two year rule.  I see a guy like Brandon Ingram coming in as the second overall pick and he simply does not have the body to play in the NBA yet.  He needed another year or two at Duke just to physically develop.

But then there were one and dones like John Wall who was ready to play in the NBA before he ever set foot on Kentucky's campus.  These guys are rare though.

A two year rule would make college basketball way better too.  Kentucky and Kansas and UCLA and Duke all rely on the dynamic that the one and done rule creates.  They wouldn't be able to monopolize all of the top recruits if those guys knew that last year's top recruits were still on the team and they wouldn't play their freshman seasons.  Spread the top talent around more and make them stay in the NCAA for more than 15 minutes and college basketball would have way more star power to draw in casual fans.

BUT, if you do that, then the college players need to get paid.  The NBA uses the NCAA as a minor league and it's not fair to the American kids that they have to play for free while the International kids get paid.

I don't think that will ever happen. Too many pitfalls

4 minutes ago, RonArtest15 said:

Also, look at the European influence on NBA rosters.  It's everywhere.  Why?  They do a much better job at developing younger talent than the AAU/college circuit here in the states.  There's a disconnect somewhere that needs to be addressed.  Until then, we'll see more of the same.  Guys who are completely raw and not ready. 

Euros have way more stability in their careers, which begin at a younger age.  They get into team systems and stay there, being developed by an organization that has a vested interest in them becoming good pros.  The AAU is just an exhibition-style showcase circuit for recruiters at NCAA power programs.  Then the players get into these programs and the coaches work with them for like 6 months before they're on to prepping for the NBA draft.  Then you get onto an NBA roster and you get a short summer of practice before the grind of the season begins.  And NBA coaches have basically no teaching time during the season because they're game planning and running practices for the upcoming opponent.  Plus if you're not in the rotation, are you really going to get a bunch of meaningful reps?

It's a ridiculous system and it's no wonder the vast majority of draft picks fall through the cracks.  And it's no wonder why Americans are starting to fall behind Euros early in their careers despite the fact that we generate a million times more talent.

1 minute ago, RonArtest15 said:

Forcing guys to play college ball who are clearly 1 and dones is an absolute joke. 

Yeah but how often do you get a true one and done? Maybe once/twice every five years? I think the numbers would heavily favor them atayibg for at least another year

3 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Euros have way more stability in their careers, which begin at a younger age.  They get into team systems and stay there, being developed by an organization that has a vested interest in them becoming good pros.  The AAU is just an exhibition-style showcase circuit for recruiters at NCAA power programs.  Then the players get into these programs and the coaches work with them for like 6 months before they're on to prepping for the NBA draft.  Then you get onto an NBA roster and you get a short summer of practice before the grind of the season begins.  And NBA coaches have basically no teaching time during the season because they're game planning and running practices for the upcoming opponent.  Plus if you're not in the rotation, are you really going to get a bunch of meaningful reps?

It's a ridiculous system and it's no wonder the vast majority of draft picks fall through the cracks.  And it's no wonder why Americans are starting to fall behind Euros early in their careers despite the fact that we generate a million times more talent.

Trust me, I get it.  Look at the soccer academies they have set up under the umbrella of the teams in the Premier league.  Same deal as b-ball.  They have these kids in there from an early age, getting GREAT coaching, and it translates to fundamentally sound basketball when it's all said and done.  The exposure and coaching they're getting can't be understated. 

Case in point, my buddy who I work with played D3 college soccer.  They went over to Europe back in the day for a tour/training.  They had the chance to work out where Sunderland plays and had a "friendly" against one of their youth teams.  YOUTH.  Now, these are men from college ranging from 18-22 playing a team of 12-14 year olds.  Yup...my buddy's team got smoked.  He said they barely touched the ball.  LOL

2 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Yeah but how often do you get a true one and done? Maybe once/twice every five years? I think the numbers would heavily favor them atayibg for at least another year

I think about guys that have recently gone through Kentucky, Duke...Ben Simmons at LSU, and it goes on and on.  There is literally no need for these guys to be enrolled at these schools just to withdraw after they have met the minimum course requirement to maintain athletic eligibility. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

We'll never be on Europe's level at producing and developing soccer talent.  But they should never be on our level at producing and developing basketball talent.  We've got a stupid system and they've got a good one and that's the difference.

The AAU/College system is beyond stupid.  Aside from the tourney, due to the excitement/drama, I find the college game damn near close to being unwatchable.  There is a fundamental flaw/disconnect with how our players are being developed.  Shoot, look no further at the 92 point game LaMelo Ball had a few weeks back.  It grabbed headlines due to the scoring, but you'd come close to throwing up on the floor if you actually saw the footage.  It was not basketball.  A complete joke.  And this is the type of guy getting a ride to UCLA who will be more of a work in progress than people realize.

What needs to happen, and this is at the most basic level of the game, is realizing how the league's (NBA) landscape is changing.  This is not the hand-checking, physical NBA that we had in years past.  We're seeing BEAUTIFUL basketball being played.  Pace and space.  As many as 5 shooters on the floor.  And it goes on and on.  The league is completely different now, and changing for the better.  We're seeing an influx of European players on NBA rosters because they completely fit what the league is turning in to.  We're at the point now where it's actually not out of the realm of possibility that a guy as talented as Jahlil Okafor could be out of the league due to the limitations of his game.  Guys NEED to have a secondary skill.  Where is that being taught?  Not in AAU...not in some college programs.  Nikola Jokic is slow as molasses, but his court vision is second to none.  He's a PG trapped in a 5's body.  However, due to how good he is at doing numerous things on the floor, he'll be a multiple all-star as his career matures.  Same for Draymond Green (who is already there.) 

If we (USA) aren't careful, there may be a time in the very near future when some of these European teams in the Olympics/FIBA could surpass or beat our squads with regularity.  Parity, on an international level, is coming if our younger talents aren't adapting to the changes happening on the professional level.  I 100% believe this more than ever. 

• Like 4

The thing we have going for us over Europe is that, even though they are better coached and do a better job developing talent, we still have a million times more talent to work with.  Our population is almost as big as Europe's as a whole and all of our most athletic kids grow up wanting to play basketball.  Theirs grow up wanting to play soccer.

There have been international teams that have been competitive with team USA, but they rely on raising "Golden Generations" to do so, like they do in Soccer.  Argentina in the mid 2000s with Manu/Scola/Delfino/Nocioni/Oberto.  Five good NBA players on that team and they had played together since they were like 14.  Spain from 2008-2012 is another one with the Gasol brothers/Navarro/Fernandez/Rubio/Calderon.  These countries do well while this generation of players is in their prime and then they fall off after they get old because they can't really replace them.

Every generation of talent we produce is far better than any international Golden Generation has ever been.  Kyrie Irving would be the greatest player in Australian national team history, but he's only like the eighth best American point guard in the game right now and he only made Team USA because of Coach K.

It shouldn't even be a competition.  We should be blowing teams out like the Dream Team did every single time.  It's only a competition because Team USA is poorly organized and poorly led and we do a terrible job fully actualizing our immense basketball talent.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr. Sinister said:

I've been saying that since they implemented the one year removed from graduating high school rule.  It's dumb, might as well not even changed it at all.  Either make it minimum 3 years or have no restrictions again (I'm in favor of 3 years removed from high school).  

I understand that college isn't for everyone, but I've never been a fan of the one and dones.  It cheapens the college product imo and less prepares a lot of them for the pros both on the court and off the court.  

1 hour ago, Mr. Sinister said:

I don't think that will ever happen. Too many pitfalls

That and they would have to pay every athlete in every sport at the college.  No way that is going to happen either.