Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES All Things Redskins Name Change Thread (Reboot Edition---Read New OP)

Alaskins

Hey everyone, another skins and I put together an online petition suggesting we need to stop wasting resources on this non-issue. There's a lot of clear evidence this isn't really an issue to the impacted culture. FCC commissioners and congressmen need to be working on other topics that matter. Who knows if it will do any good but if you're up for putting your name down if we get a decent response we'll be sending it on to whoever we can.

http://signon.org/sign/no-change-to-the-name?source=c.url&r_by=7559392

Also, started a FB page around the topic, if you're into that kind of thing.

https://www.facebook.com/keeptheredskins

HTTR

• 2 weeks later...

The thing is, the origin of the name is not racist, the majority of its racist overtones have come from the media acting like it is for years and years.

For example, the word Dingler (pronounced Ding-gle-er). It doesn't even mean anything (there's an urban dictionary entry, but that doesn't count, there's an urban dictionary entry for pretty much ever combination of letters in the English language), but let's pretend the media started saying it was derogatory towards short people. Within a generation even if it wasn't derogatory, everyone will think it is, because the media has harped on it.

The Redskins name originated with Native Americans themselves, and the last scientific poll conducted among Native Americans on the issue (as opposed to these newspaper and internet polls masquerading as real polls), found that 90% of Native Americans don't care.

Speaking of, I call Native Americans Native Americans because, if anything "Indians" is more racist than Native American. Think about it. "Indian" is not only inaccurate, in that they are referring to people who live halfway across the world, but it was also bestowed upon them by European settlers, who subsequently conquered, adversely possessed, and otherwise kicked Native Americans off their land.

So yeah.

That, and changing the name would be almost, if not outright admitting, that the name was racist, and therefore that the history of the team was. We already get enough flack for being the last team to integrate (of course, we also won the SB with a black QB first, but everyone tends to forget that when discussing Redskins and race), if you change the name the history is tainted.

So yeah. No.

The thing is, the origin of the name is not racist, the majority of its racist overtones have come from the media acting like it is for years and years.

For example, the word Dingler (pronounced Ding-gle-er). It doesn't even mean anything (there's an urban dictionary entry, but that doesn't count, there's an urban dictionary entry for pretty much ever combination of letters in the English language), but let's pretend the media started saying it was derogatory towards short people. Within a generation even if it wasn't derogatory, everyone will think it is, because the media has harped on it.

Like how Fag use to mean a bundle of sticks or ****** meant ignorant?

The swastika use to be a symbol of good luck.

Yes, bu then the swastika was used as a symbol for actual horror.

As someone else has said, the media taking the opinion of a few people and changing the word into something it's not is not hardly a fair comparison.

We gave Buffalo Bill a medal for his nice work in the genocide,, then took it away, and then reinstated it.

And yet that never seems to be noticed.

"redskins" offends a few people who are ignorant to it's true meaning, and ignorant to the fact it was never really used as the slur they think it is.

Bowing to idiots is how republicans get elected.

we haven't learned? Exert higher intellect. Don't dumb it down.

reminds me of that guy about 12 or so years ago who got fired from the DC government because he used the word "niggardly" in context of his presentation. he was a financial guy, and the word means 'miserly' or 'cheap'.. he was explaining what the DC gov't had to do to become more solvent.

he was fired because he said a word that the idiots misunderstood.

Instead of educating the idiots, we punished the man with a proper vocabulary.

Even after it was reported what the word actually means, didn't matter. The morons were offended by something they had no business being offended over, and only their own ignorance caused the 'controversy'.

that word pre-dates any slur, and isn't even spelled the same, but that doesn't stop the idiots once they get a head of steam.

Insist on facts. Insist on reality.

~Bang

Hey everyone, another skins and I put together an online petition suggesting we need to stop wasting resources on this non-issue. There's a lot of clear evidence this isn't really an issue to the impacted culture. FCC commissioners and congressmen need to be working on other topics that matter. Who knows if it will do any good but if you're up for putting your name down if we get a decent response we'll be sending it on to whoever we can.

http://signon.org/sign/no-change-to-the-name?source=c.url&r_by=7559392

i think the part about native americans overwhelmingly not having an issue with the name is good, but, if theres room, i think it helps to point out that the current redskins indian head logo on the helmet was the idea of the president of the very same national congress of american indians that is trying to oppose the team now. walter wetzel thought the circle R logo wasnt indian enough.

also helps that several native american high schools use the name 'redskins' as their mascot.

most people are unaware of these facts, and, consequently, fall for the 'its a slur, and its offensive' line put out by the few.

education is the only way this thing will stop.

I just went on ESPN message boards to try to throw out some knowledge about the intent and purpose of the name Redskins to honor Native Americans. Pointless. I have never been on their boards before, but just a waste of time. People are just throwing out whatever name combination in regards to politicians and just stupid stuff.

Time for your monthly "lets change the Redskins name instead of actually focusing on important issues" update.

Name proposal change by DC City Council from Redskins to Redtails, in honor of the Tuskegee Airmen.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/conversations/_/id/9230556/dc-pol-suggests-redtails-name-change-washington-redskins

Terrible.

How about the Redheads? Imagine the logo possibilities! :)

all we have to do is change our mascot to a potato....

Or a peanut.

---------- Post added May-1st-2013 at 01:24 PM ----------

Bowing to idiots is how republicans get elected.

we haven't learned? Exert higher intellect. Don't dumb it down.

~Bang

Was this really necessary, Bang?!

Last I checked, it wasn't Republicans crying about how they are (GASP!) "horrified and offended" (/GASP!) by the name and demanding its change. That's what Liberals do! I think Bob Griffin even touched on this in his tweet yesterday.

Lets just get rid of the noble Native American image logo and keep the name and go back to the R logo. Then maybe the Political Correctness Avengers will have not be able to complain. Oh, wait they would find something to still complain about. Also, my great great grandfather was an actualy cowboy and and he would be offended by the cowboys team name. My other great great grandad was a gold rush miner in California and he arrived in 1850 and he would want San Francisco to change their name to the San Francisco 50's.

Time for your monthly "lets change the Redskins name instead of actually focusing on important issues" update.

Name proposal change by DC City Council from Redskins to Redtails, in honor of the Tuskegee Airmen.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/conversations/_/id/9230556/dc-pol-suggests-redtails-name-change-washington-redskins

This is getting ridiculous. We've been through the protests 60 years after the name took affect and the Supreme Court said you don't have a case. Now 80 years after the name took affect there are individuals claiming it's derogatory.

I've never heard the term used in a negative light... and neither have you (generalizing "you", not being specific

I think the opposition needs to just think of another cause to go after, something of importance and helps people, like raising money for cancer or fighting human trafficking.

I am fairly appalled at the sheer ignorance that goes into these name change arguments. Why are people so intent on erasing the history and legacy of Native Americans from the public eye? Doesn't anyone realize how absolutely racist it is to be in favor of removing the moniker and name from this franchise?

Redskin has never historically been a derogatory name. A racial slur requires that the word or name be used in a defaming way in order to marginalize the object of the insult. Redskins does not accomplish any of that, either historically, or modernly. How quaint it is for so many non-Natives to decide what is and is not offensive with little to no research on the term.

If 90% of the Native Americans did not vote against Redskins as being offensive then the word Redskins shouldnt even be considered having a name change. Funny to find out when we changed our logos to a spear and the "R" the President of the National Congress of American Indians said "Id like to see an Indian on your helmets."

Add to the fact from history that "three chiefs of the Piankashaws wrote (1769)... "You think that I am an orphan; but all the people of these rivers and all the redskins will learn of my death. In 1807 French Crow (Wahpekute, Santee Sioux) said, "I am a redskin..."

If the time ever comes when Redskins have to change their name, then maybe just "Skins", and even then I will still sing "HAIL to the Redskins", etc... I think changing it to Skins could piss the people off even more. What will we have to do then? Change our Colors, because we still wear burgundy and gold? Having burgundy still shows that we are Red Skins.

Lets just get rid of the noble Native American image logo and keep the name and go back to the R logo. Then maybe the Political Correctness Avengers will have not be able to complain. Oh, wait they would find something to still complain about. Also, my great great grandfather was an actualy cowboy and and he would be offended by the cowboys team name. My other great great grandad was a gold rush miner in California and he arrived in 1850 and he would want San Francisco to change their name to the San Francisco 50's.

this is kind of what I was thinking. Get rid of the imagery and go back to the script "R" logo. Keep the color scheme and everything else.

Name the team after the fanbase... Redskins.

The Nationals got their "nickname" because that's what fans of the Sens were called back in the day at Griffith stadium... Nationals.

Archived