Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Previews of Coming Attractions: Upcoming New Movies (Thoughts and Info on Movies That Don't Have Their Own Thread Yet).

Jumbo

When it came out, I thought the original Red Dawn was one of the more stupid movies I'd ever seen (still do) and the new one looks about the same to me (well, actually better due to cast and production values). Still a "pass" for me.

Haven't seen any footage of WWZ yet, but know there was an old thread on it that I may go read, and believe it or not, just finally read the book this last week. I could see a lot of potential for great visuals scene-wise in the stories.

After I read World War Z a couple of years ago, I heard the rumor that there was going to be a movie. I thought it would be amazing, because the book has such a great narrative arc to it. Then, I heard what the movie would be about, and IMDB has this up as the plot:

"A U.N. employee is racing against time and fate, as he travels the world trying to stop the outbreak of a deadly Zombie pandemic."

No. That is not World War Z. Unless there's a major re-write to correct the error, the point of the book was how we (humanity) fought together and recovered from the zombie plague/epidemic/menace/whatever, not about trying to prevent it. Sure, that part is at the very beginning of the book, but it's just to get the plot in motion. It's not the main focus. Oh well, not like whining on the internet ever stopped Hollywood from screwing up a perfectly good book.

I had never heard of Ender's Game but I checked the IMDB site and see the cast looks pretty interesting (Ben Kingsley & Harrison Ford).

I'm behind on my movie going---haven't seen Taken 2 or Argo yet.

People I just talked to who saw Taken 2 and loved the first one said they thought this one sucked..

There's a cool trailer for DH 5 at RT that I just saw:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/a_good_day_to_die_hard/trailers/

I had never heard of Ender's Game but I checked the IMDB site and see the cast looks pretty interesting (Ben Kingsley & Harrison Ford).

I'm surprised you never at least read the first book. Despite the author going on to be a nutter, it's a pretty good series.

Personally I thought Argo was average at best. Predictable and it felt forced how they tried to make you care for certain characters here and there. Worth a watch I guess, but disappointing since it was the first new movie I've seen in about 6 months.

Right now I'm looking forward to Flight with Denzel, and I need to go see that new movie with Tom Cruise and Hallie Berry.

The movie I most want to see is Les Miserables. It is my favorite musical, and I am curious to see what a bunch of movie actors can do with it. After the trailer, I have some hope for the film, especially if I agree to view it and listen to it separately from the productions I've seen.

The movie I most want to see is Les Miserables. It is my favorite musical, and I am curious to see what a bunch of movie actors can do with it. After the trailer, I have some hope for the film, especially if I agree to view it and listen to it separately from the productions I've seen.

Yeah, Les Mis looked cool from the trailer I saw at the theater. Not sure how the singing will be.

Anna Karenina looks really beautiful too, although I'm not that into the plot.

Jumbo, I'm shocked that you've never heard of Enders' Game.

It's an amazing book, something of a Sci Fi classic when I was a kid.

I think it's also been on a lot of school reading lists the last decade or so as well.

Enders Game was awesome, you should read it since you haven't.

There's just SO much out there, guys, and like almost everything, it includes a generational factor. You'll never get to all the books/series (same with movies, though not near so much cuz of the less-time needed element) that are "big deals" in your late teens/20's/30's. And then, over the rest of your life, more new ones will keep piling up! Plus there will be the ones that predated you that you hear about but never got to, either, and are just as worthy.

My best estimate (not counting comics) is that I have read well over 1000 books (about double the size of my current personal library), but I have missed plenty. There's a lot of stuff out there, even just in any one genre. Recently I was talking to a 70 year old sci-fi fan (and Hollywood set-design artist) who had never heard of The Stainless Steel Rat stories, and when I told him it was by Harry Harrison he really laughed since he once worked with him during consulting on the Soylent Green movie (Charlton Heston).

My reading for pleasure list is so backed up (still haven't got King's Watchtower either), but I will add Ender's Game. :)

This is a big part of what I'd hoped for in this thread---that even as much as I try to stay on top of stuff I love, I can't catch it all (time time time) and already I have seen movie stuff and now book stuff in this thread that has me smiling. :)

Edited by Jumbo

Miz looks very good with that cast...another one I hope is true...the rumored Affleck-directed JLA flcik (someday they'll make it!)

---------- Post added November-6th-2012 at 06:28 PM ----------

[

those look like the "fast" breed o zombies

Edited by Jumbo

Yeah, that's pretty much one of my biggest fears of what they would do. It doesn't even look like zombies, it looks like a freaking mudslide. At least 28 Days Later made it look like people running, not a muddy river flooding someplace.

So much for looking forward to that one.

Darn, I had been looking forward to this (and I don't like Cruise, but annoying enough, I like a number of his movies).

‘Top Gun’ Sequel Stalls After Death Of Director Tony Scott

http://www.inquisitr.com/391577/top-gun-sequel-stalls-after-death-of-director-tony-scott/#PrqI5x1mSvrlsC4d.99

A Top Gun sequel has reportedly run into a roadblock after the suicide of director-producer Tony Scott, leading some to believe that the movie is doomed. Tony Scott had been working on the Top Gun sequel, which would follow up on the 1986 blockbuster starring Tom Cruise. News about Top Gun 2 had been hitting the web slowly in the last few months, Slash Film noted, giving the indication that it was on track to being made. Without Scott at the helm, it appears Paramount has shifted gears and is looking at converting the movie the 3D rather than release a Top Gun sequel. This may just mean that the movie studio is trying to prime audiences for the impending sequel while it determines how to proceed without Scott, Slash Film noted.

more at link

I know the Transformers series gets a ton of love on this site..........

Mark Wahlberg has apparently signed on to star in Transformers 4.

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2012/11/08/transformers-4-gets-a-new-logo-and-mark-wahlberg/

Hey, Optimus Prime — say hello to your motherboard for me.

Michael Bay has officially confirmed that the star of Transformers 4 will be Mark Wahlberg, who worked with the director on his upcoming crime tale Pain and Gain.

The Transformers sequel, planned to debut June 27, 2014, also has a sleek new logo based on the Decepticon insignia.

transformers4.jpg

Edited by big#44