Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Wired - Does Marijuana Make You Stupid?

Mad Mike

Honestly, hearing that someone did research to prove the marijuana can help speed up word association makes me feel better about the future. Anyone with experience can tell you one thing, but hearing about scientists testing with experiments this "weed helps open your mind" theory makes me wonder what else they'll be able to prove as we go along (before and/or after legalization).

Note, this is a plant having a positive, stimulating effect on the human brain.

To be fair, there are negative effects. It's still terrible for your lungs. And if you have any psychological issues, it can make them worse. But yeah, it's nice to see someone document what many of us have been saying for years.

---------- Post added August-19th-2011 at 09:39 PM ----------

Hey, what better way to exercise right? :)

I think I like you. :ols::cheers:

To be fair, there are negative effects. It's still terrible for your lungs. And if you have any psychological issues, it can make them worse. But yeah, it's nice to see someone document what many of us have been saying for years.

True, but you don't have to smoke it to get it in your system, ya know? Burns off a lot of the good cannibinoids when you do that, too (but ya'll already knew that) : )

The general effects of MJ are part of the stupid part of the question I figure so I'll share my experiences with trying to use it medically over the last two years. I smoked my fair share in my late teens early twenties. Pretty much stopped then for about 18 years though I would smoke now and then at a party, but I didn't buy it or see people who had it that often. Getting back into it lately it's a whole different world. From the quality of the weed to the quality of the people who you deal with it's got a much more mainstream feel to it, even the black market (at least for quality bud).

Living 40 miles north of Juarez I've always seen a lot of dope here and cheap bricks of Mexican commercial pot dominated the scene. Twenty years ago the people dealing it were very similar to the people dealing coke, at least here. Not surprising as it was smuggled together often. Making a purchase often involved going to a bad area of town and either leaving your buddies in the car because you knew the dealer or waiting there yourself. Never fun when as gringos we stood out like a sore thumb and there was only one reason we was there, know what I mean. That whole thing is what eventually put me off it. Couldn't have something like that impact my professional life or I would've felt about as small as flea.

My introduction into pot in the 21st century was through the State of New Mexico's Medical Marijuana Program. My understanding is that it is the most strict in the country as far as who qualifies. There are about a dozen qualifying conditions though they're always a lobby to add more. There are a limited number of producers who are private but contract through the state according to geographic need. Basically they see where the members of the program live and make sure every part of the state is supposedly covered by one supplier if not several. You have to renew via a doctor's visit yearly which is very inexpensive, at least the state portion for renewal. The Doc visits are still up there and are NOT covered by insurance. That seems wrong but overall the program keeps most abuses to a minimum.

When I want a new supply I go online to the producers site and read reviews, look at pictures and price lists and enter my credit card. Some CC companies have refused such charges apparently but mine haven't. The place I use is actually not the local one but it's in Santa Fe. They have a bi-weekly delivery to Las Cruces (which is about 300 miles south) which costs me an additional $30.00 but they bring it right to my front door. Even the couple of black market transactions I've done (which at the time were legal for me but not for the seller) were with educated kinda hippyish people. The kind who ride mountain bikes everywhere and work at the local food-coop to stereo-type. Of all colors by the way, at least here Mexican/Americans are as much a part of every scene in town as are white or other colored people. So it's not racism so much as classism. Much nicer dealing with people who you aren't worried about hurting you...because you could kick most of their asses.

Bmac, I've found the key to not experiencing paranoia is to do less. I use a vaporizer now and I'll do two puffs and put it away. I still have the urge to do more but I stop anyway and about 10 minutes later I have the perfect high. Not enough to make me paranoid at all but but pleasantly different from how I felt before. If I do 5 or 6 puffs, 10 minutes later I have the paranoia which lasts about 20 minutes. It goes away and I've come to think of it as the first part of the high. With either sativa or indica strains I notice it if I smoke too much the same thing happens. It's that second part of the high after you've settled into the high that there's a difference between the strains IMO. Sativa generally much better during the day for still getting things done. Indica for the evening when tv and sleep are all that's in order. I don't find pot to be a social drug for me at all and try to avoid when I'm around groups of people. Sitting down for a session with a friend (one of my best buds has a card too) and talking is good but going out, fuhget about it.

Oh and for the record, way back when I did do it, it was $25 to $35 an ounce. I used to go through an ounce every two weeks.

I have no idea what it costs now, but I am willing to bet it's quite a bit more.

I'm paying $300 an ounce for prime medical. Lasts me at least 3 months if not longer. I used to but $60/oz stuff in the early 90's and it sucked. I much prefer the stuff they have now.

I don't find pot to be a social drug for me at all and try to avoid when I'm around groups of people. Sitting down for a session with a friend (one of my best buds has a card too) and talking is good but going out, fuhget about it.

I'm the same way. Sitting down to a smoke with a couple of good friends is cool. But in "social" situations like a party or going out in public, I just get withdrawn and uncomfortable. Time and a place.

I'm paying $300 an ounce for prime medical. Lasts me at least 3 months if not longer. I used to but $60/oz stuff in the early 90's and it sucked. I much prefer the stuff they have now.

I honestly couldn't make a comparison since it has been over 20 years since I did. When I first tried it, I was 14 or 15 and living in Hawaii. They had some good **** there...LOL

I didn't read the article, but I wonder if this study was done with an indica or a sativa strain... or both.

As for the merits of the article, I'd have to agree. In my time of recreational marijuana use I certainly had some very interesting thoughts based on things that were presented to me. I mean, who thinks to watch The Simpsons (on mute) while listening to Busta Rhymes. It's freaking incredible! Hell, I was watching the movie Signs while under the influence and my mind wandered to a point where I figured out a way to make a visually stealth aircraft. These are things I would have never thought of while sober. Allowing the mind to wonder at incredible rates is amazing.

Oh, and to Bubble Screen: I never would have been a Coldplay fan if I wasn't a pothead at an earlier point in my life. Listening to Coldplay while high was epic.

That's fine. But to call others stupid for their choice is... well... stupid.

But it IS stupid to touch marijuana. But like I said, to each his own.

---------- Post added August-20th-2011 at 01:05 AM ----------

Dang, even Jumbo calling me out.:)

---------- Post added August-20th-2011 at 01:07 AM ----------

Hey man, to each his own. I'd never touch that stuff.

(I don't use either, so I get to be even more ridiculously self righteous than you.... :) )

I used to drink alcohol. Gave that up a long time ago. Got me into too much trouble.:)

Honestly, sometimes it does make me stupid but sometimes I come with great solutions to work/life issues because it allows me to see things from a different perspective which is often invaluable. I do need some sobriety time as a point of reference before i make the more important decisions though.

:2cents:

I hope it will be decriminalized soon across the board. It's extremely potent these days. It's psychedelic and an extreme sensory enhancer. I remember my last experience vividly. I was at a friends house and just finished my 2nd bong hit. I suddenly remembered I had a final exam to take for my Excel class in half an hour. Man was I panicking badly. I downed a Coke to get some caffeine in me and went to class extremely stoned. I ended up passing though. Can't believe I forgot about it.

Talking when you shouldn't when surrounded by family members = stupid

Not asking for help when you need it.

Eating more than you burn

Going to the beach without sunscreen or letting your 9yr old get your back.

Driving 15 over the speed limit with nothing to do later.

Backing up the shoulder when there is traffic ahead

Talking on a cell phone, texting, eating, drinking, radio, tired

Drinking during the week, staying up reading that book till 2am, watching that movie

Not calling your 'other' for no apparent reason. being mean, abusive

buying as seen on tv items, cutting wood with flipflops on.

Hell, browsed through the 'owned' thread for about 600 pages.

You give pot too much credit for the stupidity on display.

So how do you know which strain you're getting?

By smoking it.

:ols:

Any weedshop or decent pot dealer would know the difference and be able to tell you where the "grow" they are selling came from. Ultimately, though, everyone has different body chemistry so you just have to try different strains to see which one works best for your ailment. A decent hybrid might be just what you are looking for but speak to a herbalist or weed doctor to make sure.

But it IS stupid to touch marijuana. But like I said, to each his own.

---------- Post added August-20th-2011 at 01:05 AM ----------

Dang, even Jumbo calling me out.:)

---------- Post added August-20th-2011 at 01:07 AM ----------

I used to drink alcohol. Gave that up a long time ago. Got me into too much trouble.:)

Do you take over the counter pain medication? What about pain meds the doctor prescribes? A huge problem eating the underbelly of America right now is abuse of prescription drugs. But because they're given to you by a doctor many think it's ok because "hey, it's not like I'm a pothead". Well pain pills are addictive, very addictive, pot is not. Alcohol is addictive, very addictive, pot is not. It has been proven in study after study that THC is not addictive. You can become addicted to the euphoric feeling of being high but that is not a chemical addiction like other drugs and alcohol.

So bubble, why is pot such and evil substance to you?

---------- Post added August-20th-2011 at 06:41 AM ----------

I didn't read the article, but I wonder if this study was done with an indica or a sativa strain... or both.

As for the merits of the article, I'd have to agree. In my time of recreational marijuana use I certainly had some very interesting thoughts based on things that were presented to me. I mean, who thinks to watch The Simpsons (on mute) while listening to Busta Rhymes. It's freaking incredible! Hell, I was watching the movie Signs while under the influence and my mind wandered to a point where I figured out a way to make a visually stealth aircraft. These are things I would have never thought of while sober. Allowing the mind to wonder at incredible rates is amazing.

Oh, and to Bubble Screen: I never would have been a Coldplay fan if I wasn't a pothead at an earlier point in my life. Listening to Coldplay while high was epic.

When I was in high school some of the best papers I ever turned in for English class we're the result of writing while under the influence. Arguably the greatest music EVER has been due to pot, this music has shaped our culture for generations. Weed allows you to close doors that interfere with creativity while opening those that intensify it.

There will always be people that do stupid things or abuse it but the same thing happens with alcohol or anything else. How we as a culture can rationalize keeping a substance like alcohol legal while demonizing pot is beyond me.

Portugal has legalized all drugs and violent crime has decreased, survey's have shown that less people are doing more hardcore drugs and guess what, they're country hasn't fallen apart. But we're America, we're too uptight and controlled by our illusion of being the most powerful country in the world. Being the most powerful military doesn't equal most powerful country, we're so ass backwards in so many ways it's ridiculous.

FREE YOUR MINDS PEOPLE!

Anything in excess makes you stupid.

A freaking man! Been saying this for years. We've had Airmen die in basic training from drinking too much water, BAN IT! STOP DRINKING WATER, IT CAN KILL YOU! I hate living in a knee jerk society. Hey guess what, Corey stringer died on the football field, must have been the ephedrine in the Ultimate Orange in his locker. Nevermind he came to camp fat, out of shape and it was close to 100 degrees. Nope, it HAD to be the ephedrine, BAN IT! How we as a society let these idiots in the FDA and our government control us the way we do is beyond me.

You mean, you got into too much trouble while under the influence of it. It's not the alcohol's fault you got into trouble.

Perhaps you're the type of person who can't use mind altering substances responsibly, so you don't. That's all good by me. Just don't knock others who can.

Archived