Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Let's take a moment to appreciate Albert Burneko at Deadspin.com for this gem of a blog post.

The Atlanta Hawks Are The Sorriest ****ing Losers In The History Of The Universe

Give credit to soft, washed, buster-ass piss-baby Paul Millsap, I suppose, for successfully whining this series into unwatchable whistle-ball, for that is all he accomplished. Despite the referees doing everything short of hogtying D.C.’s frontcourt on his behalf, his Hawks, entering the final days of their 71st consecutive season as basketball’s least-existent franchise, folded up like a convertible sofa in the fourth quarter and fell to the mighty Wizards, 109-101.

There's one more paragraph to this and it's just as wonderful as the first.  Click to show your appreciation.

• Like 14

9 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Is Phil done or will he at least be doing games part time next season?

I believe part time next year and shows with Monumental Sports.

I do know that after the first round, there's no more regional simulcast. So that sucks. Hopefully they put him on Wizards Extra.

So... I didn't watch the game tonight. Based on what I'm seeing, the refs tried to screw is again, and this time they tried to hide it by hitting the Hawks with fouls as well. Smh...

My biggest fear this postseason isn't the Cavs, it's the referees.

2 hours ago, MLSKINS said:

My biggest fear this postseason isn't the Cavs, it's the referees.

My fear is Wall's health.  He goes into super hero mode in the playoffs and imagines himself indestructible.  Did his see him go to ramming speed and bounce off the much heavier Dwight Howard?  He's a crazy man and playing that way just doesn't look safe.  Maybe it's just playing Atlanta in the playoffs again that has me jumpy.  

Speaking of collisions, Jason Smith did a little goon work.  He got a few cheap fouls and then seemed to figure if they were going to whistle him anyway, may as well make it worth it.  I hate those guys on other teams, but I like having one.    

• Like 2

Its games like last nights that lend credence to those that frown upon NBA basketball.  The constant whistles and egregious one-sidedness that makes it appear desperate to keep games close.  It's not like ATL has a Lebron-like star that gets the historical star treatment either.  It just looks obviously like one of 2 things, either they are out to get the Wizards or they simply want to extend the series as long as possible (most likely).

Paul Millsap cries like a baby because Atlanta only got a 20 FT advantage in game one and the refs take care of Morris for him.  He gets 15 free throws the next game despite the fact his first step is slow as ****ing molasses and his only move is to dribble into the defender's chest and throw up some **** ass mess.  **** those refs.  I love basketball, so I keep watching.  But the NBA puts out a shady, garbage product.  Worst officials in sports.  If I could change one thing about the league, it would be to fire every single one of the refs they've got now and start over from scratch.  They need a total culture change.

3 minutes ago, RonArtest15 said:

The fact the Hawks were in the bonus with 9:00 to go in the 3rd was insane...some of the worst officiating I've seen in the past two days. 

:rofl89:

I like how you can only say past two days because of how bad the problem is.

• Like 1

I would agree with you, but these refs were relatively young, and the rookie officials have been down right terrible on wall this year. Flushing the crop and starting over probably won't change much. There's something else up. 4 of our 5 forwards had 4 fouls by the 9 minute mark in the 3rd. Hell, Oubre/PorterMorris were almost fouled out of the game in 14 minutes of play! I've never seen such blatant swinging in my life, in any sport. 

I want to make a special shout out to Marcin. Ive been hard on him the past 2 years. He has been phenomenal so far, and about 3 whole steps better than his performance the entire regular season. His hands are elite. It's such a weird ability to be elite at. But the passes wall whips into the paint aren't for the lazy. His screens have been on point. He's locked in and playing the best minutes of his career right now. 

• Like 5

Sweet, sweet win last night!

I know Otto does things that don’t show up in the box score (like that beautiful outlet pass to Wall at the end of the game) but for Pete’s sake it would be nice to get more than 4 points and 4 boards from your starting small forward. 

I don’t know if Beal has spoiled me but a 44% field goal percentage seems like a bad night.  :-)   

Oubre is still finding his playoff legs with 1 point and 1 board and a -10 in 13 minutes last night. 

Say what you want about Gortat but I’ll take a 14 / 10 / 5 playoff performance from him any time. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Skin'emAlive said:

I would agree with you, but these refs were relatively young, and the rookie officials have been down right terrible on wall this year. Flushing the crop and starting over probably won't change much. There's something else up. 4 of our 5 forwards had 4 fouls by the 9 minute mark in the 3rd. Hell, Oubre/PorterMorris were almost fouled out of the game in 14 minutes of play! I've never seen such blatant swinging in my life, in any sport. 

I want to make a special shout out to Marcin. Ive been hard on him the past 2 years. He has been phenomenal so far, and about 3 whole steps better than his performance the entire regular season. His hands are elite. It's such a weird ability to be elite at. But the passes wall whips into the paint aren't for the lazy. His screens have been on point. He's locked in and playing the best minutes of his career right now. 

Well said Skin.  And yeah you're right about the refs.  I realize that if you had a bunch of officials with no experience calling games it would be like the scab ref debacle the NFL had a couple of years ago.  I don't know how you restore the credibility of NBA officiating.  Anyone who was around during the Donaghy era is suspect.  Anyone who ever learned anything from douchebags like Joey or Danny Crawford is tainted.

Also agreed about Gortat.  He was awesome last night and we don't win that game without him.  I'm so happy to see him looking fresh.  You're absolutely right about him having great hands and his screen game being on point.  Gortat makes Wall and Beal better by doing those things.  An open 18 foot dribble pull up is a lay up for Beal.  And we kill Gortat for finishing soft and not having any lift, but the guy is a fantastic PnR finisher.  Just very instinctive at finding lanes and when he catches those bullets from Wall, he catches them high and gets his shot off fast.  Good touch.  Good fundamentals.

Last night he showed us some other things too.  Staying in front of guys 20 feet from the rim.  Taking Dwight Howard out of the series so far.  Diving on the ground for 50/50 balls.  Playing good defense and tough minutes without fouling, crucial because his back up is injured and all of our forwards were in foul trouble.  Cleaning up the glass.  And scoring on his iso post ups.  He was magnificent.

We are fortunate to have two starting caliber centers.  It's such an essential position.  And it's pretty brutal.  I really hope Mahinmi stays healthy next year because we really need to be getting Gortat's minutes down into the 24 MPG range so that we can get more of this Gortat over the course of the season.

6 minutes ago, Rocky21 said:

I know Otto does things that don’t show up in the box score (like that beautiful outlet pass to Wall at the end of the game) but for Pete’s sake it would be nice to get more than 4 points and 4 boards from your starting small forward. 

He had a nightmare game.  The foul trouble was the main issue.  He couldn't get in a rhythm and didn't really start to show up again until the fourth quarter.  When he came out in the first quarter, he was defending well and he poked an offensive rebound out of Dwight's hands on the first defensive sequence.  When he's dialed in, he makes a lot of little plays like that which lead to wins.  But the danger with him is when he becomes disengaged.  He's not a naturally aggressive player and he gets spacey and simply falls behind the flow of the game and becomes a ghost.  He starts taking false steps when guarding the ball and giving up dribble penetration.  He's not quick so Otto has to win with superior anticipation, and some nights he just doesn't have it.

• Like 1