Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Should the Mormon LDS Church lose its tax exempt status?

footballhenry

539w.jpg

I bring this question to light because it is now known that the LDS Church funded over 20 million dollars to get Prop 8 passed this past election in California. Now it is to my understanding that churches are NOT supposed to be involved in political matters and this would constitute a breach of that rule. Therefore, quite simply shouldn't the LDS church lose its tax exempt status since it has directly injected itself into state issues??

In my estimation there is no question that they should. What's more though is I think it is sad that so much energy, and money is put towards a divisive agenda when it could go for much more humane, ethical causes. :2cents:

What's Prop 8 got to do with Bigamy?

:movefast:

But seriously? I don't think it's possible to draw a line whereby churches can be prohibited from taking a stand on what they consider morality, without restricting their freedom of religion.

Face it, one purpose of religion is to discriminate. (I'm not using that in a negative context. Just pointing out that one person's evil discrimination is another person's moral stand.) If they can't discriminate, then they aren't churches any more.

Maybe there needs to be a big penalty for taking certain, specific, actions. Like sending a check to a PAC. But that would be, to me, a tough law to write.

In my estimation there is no question that they should. What's more though is I think it is sad that so much energy, and money is put towards a divisive agenda when it could go for much more humane, ethical causes. :2cents:

Dang liberals always wanting to spend others money...Get a job and spend your own:silly::moon:

I think there should be NO tax exempt organizations,religious or otherwise,maybe then we could get real tax reform.

There are other tax exempt organizations that fund and support political goals as well....funny that Libs only care about the religious ones that oppose pet issues.

There are other tax exempt organizations that fund and support political goals as well....funny that Libs only care about the religious ones that oppose pet issues.

Could you mention some? I'm aware that there are a lot of organizations like the ACLU and NRA, who have PACs associated with them. But is that really illegal? If all the PAC isn't exempt?

No, they shouldn't lose their status. They cannot be involved directly in political advocacy, trying to elect one person or another. That is politics. Advocating for societal issues is not forbidden, as it is not the same type of politics.

Think about it for a minute and you'll see how stupid it is. They're a church, right? They talk about a wide variety of issues. How are you going to say that they can't advocate for their beliefs, or publicize what they feel is the right stand on an issue?

So whatever issues people disagree on, the church should have to shut up about? Remember, any area where people disagree is fertile ground for some kind of legislation, so it's ALL political.

Nonprofits can take stands on issues what they can't do is take a political side (IE dem versus repub... they need to serve everyone) At least that's my understanding.

That's why the American Cancer Society can campaign against cigarettes for example, but technically they shouldn't be endorsing a political party. There's obviously some gray because clearly groups like the NRA are pro-repub or greenpeace is pro-Dem. Although I guess they're not "officially" a repub or dem group.

No, they shouldn't lose their status. They cannot be involved directly in political advocacy, trying to elect one person or another. That is politics. Advocating for societal issues is not forbidden, as it is not the same type of politics.

Think about it for a minute and you'll see how stupid it is. They're a church, right? They talk about a wide variety of issues. How are you going to say that they can't advocate for their beliefs, or publicize what they feel is the right stand on an issue?

So whatever issues people disagree on, the church should have to shut up about? Remember, any area where people disagree is fertile ground for some kind of legislation, so it's ALL political.

I wouldn't be surprised if you've hit on what the law is. (That they can endorse positions, but not individual candidates.)

OTOH, I also could say that there's a difference between encouraging church members to vote for Prop 8, and donating milions of dollars to it.

539w.jpg

I bring this question to light because it is now known that the LDS Church funded over 20 million dollars to get Prop 8 passed this past election in California. Now it is to my understanding that churches are NOT supposed to be involved in political matters and this would constitute a breach of that rule. Therefore, quite simply shouldn't the LDS church lose its tax exempt status since it has directly injected itself into state issues??

It's called lobbying. If that was illegal then there would be no tax exempt organizations in this country.

Nonprofits can take stands on issues what they can't do is take a political side (IE dem versus repub... they need to serve everyone) At least that's my understanding.

That's why the American Cancer Society can campaign against cigarettes for example, but technically they shouldn't be endorsing a political party. There's obviously some gray because clearly groups like the NRA are pro-repub or greenpeace is pro-Dem. Although I guess they're not "officially" a repub or dem group.

As an interest group they can lobby for a position correct. Now your point regarding specific party identification, I don't believe there is a specific law against that (correct me if I'm wrong) but I do know that endorsing a specific candidate is not allowed.

Through their PAC they can give money to whom they want though, effectively endorsing whomever they want.

501©(3) does mention the influencing of legislation. But is a proposition only a loophole for what is all intents and purposes identical to legislation?

They could also be tagged as just lobbying for an issue not for a piece of legislation (I'm sure their lawyers have found every loop hole there is).

They could also be tagged as just lobbying for an issue not for a piece of legislation (I'm sure their lawyers have found every loop hole there is).

That's what I was thinking earlier. They wouldn't commit that amount of money without checking the full circle with their lawyers first.

I don't think they even had to do any fancy footwork with the money. They can advocate for legislation that fits their beliefs. If churches couldn't spend money in support or opposition to legislation, they could not pay the pastor, hold leadership conferences, conduct community outreach, or anything that might happen to indicate support or opposition to whatever random proposed laws or bills are out there.

Could you mention some? I'm aware that there are a lot of organizations like the ACLU and NRA, who have PACs associated with them. But is that really illegal? If all the PAC isn't exempt?

If the PAC is exempt, yet they use the other parts resources it is tax evasion.

Moveon is a large example,but there are many others.

teachers unions

http://www.topix.com/news/gay/2008/10/california-teachers-union-donates-to-no-on-8-campaign

http://www.citizen.org/pressroom/release.cfm?ID=1790

I bring this question to light because it is now known that the LDS Church funded over 20 million dollars to get Prop 8 passed this past election in California. Now it is to my understanding that churches are NOT supposed to be involved in political matters and this would constitute a breach of that rule.

That's a misunderstanding of the current tax law, as a pastor I can openly support, and endorse or oppose particular legislation; much like I did with the expanded gaming legislation here in Kentucky.

http://www.gcfa.org/PDFs/politicspulpit.pdf (see page 5, questions 5 and 6)

http://www.utlm.org/onlineresources/cults.htm

For the record, the folks that run the Utah Lighthouse Ministry are former Mormons that have done extensive research into the LDS church and completely blown them out of the water as a viable religion IMHO.

Yeah, but you get your own planet when you become a god.

Its kind of like Dungeons & Dragons when you became an immortal.

Archived