Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Should the Mormon LDS Church lose its tax exempt status?

footballhenry

539w.jpg

I bring this question to light because it is now known that the LDS Church funded over 20 million dollars to get Prop 8 passed this past election in California. Now it is to my understanding that churches are NOT supposed to be involved in political matters and this would constitute a breach of that rule. Therefore, quite simply shouldn't the LDS church lose its tax exempt status since it has directly injected itself into state issues??

In my estimation there is no question that they should. What's more though is I think it is sad that so much energy, and money is put towards a divisive agenda when it could go for much more humane, ethical causes. :2cents:

Start with the liberal Black Churches openly pushing the flock to vote Democrat, election after election after election then get back to us.

Start with the liberal Black Churches openly pushing the flock to vote Democrat, election after election after election then get back to us.

Right. Since everybody knows that the big problem in this country is Churches getting involved on the Democrats side.

But I don't suppose you had a problem when those "liberal" Black churches were politically organizing on behalf of your civil rights huh? Oh wait, of course you did. I forgot you're Uncle Ruckus.

That's not the point I was making, the point was that he singled out African American churches.

Actually, I suspect that he's a lot more concerned about "Churches that don't support Republicans" than he is about "Churches that aren't white".

:obvious:

I do think they should lose tax exempt status. Not because of this issue, but because I think all churches should lose tax exempt status. That way they can be free to preach whatever they want or campaign for whoever/whatever they want.

That is certainly the question that churches have to ask themselves, many choose to forego the tax exempt status for that very reason, but really for me I don't see that its worth it to be able to stump for a particular candidate from the pulpit especially when there are differing and very valid opinions in the pews.

Archived