Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Everything You Ever Wanted To Know About FedExField

Mark The Homer

I park in the B lot and the down side is that it is harder to leave from that lot. It is better now that they have opened up the exit through sherrif road, but if you are not familiar with that route and don't have a good GPS, you could get lost.

We park in B because there is more room to tailgate than in A or F. I used to park in F when I came in from arena drive, but now I go through town on Central Avenue to Morgan Blvd and go through A to B.

The thing is, I think if you get a green parking tag, you should be able to park in any green lot.

I park in the B lot and the down side is that it is harder to leave from that lot. It is better now that they have opened up the exit through sherrif road, but if you are not familiar with that route and don't have a good GPS, you could get lost.

We park in B because there is more room to tailgate than in A or F. I used to park in F when I came in from arena drive, but now I go through town on Central Avenue to Morgan Blvd and go through A to B.

The thing is, I think if you get a green parking tag, you should be able to park in any green lot.

Pretty much nails it. The parking pass boomlop30 mentioned is only for the Green B3 lot. If you try to enter into another Green lot, the attendants are supposed to direct you around to B3. For the past 2 years, the team has been trying to divert traffic away from the overused Redskins Rd. and Arena Dr. entrances to the traditionally underused Morgan Blvd. entrance and the Green lot on the west side of the stadium. There is definitely more room to spread out for tailgating in the Green B3 lot.

However, Green B3 is a little tricky to get to if you are just used to getting off 495 and following the traffic to the stadium. I don't think there is any catch/disadvantage other than being on the opposite side of the stadium from the legendary ES Tailgate. However, you are much closer to the players "Gold" parking lot, I always found it is fun to watch them leave after the games.

Pretty much nails it. The parking pass boomlop30 mentioned is only for the Green B3 lot. If you try to enter into another Green lot, the attendants are supposed to direct you around to B3. For the past 2 years, the team has been trying to divert traffic away from the overused Redskins Rd. and Arena Dr. entrances to the traditionally underused Morgan Blvd. entrance and the Green lot on the west side of the stadium. There is definitely more room to spread out for tailgating in the Green B3 lot.

However, Green B3 is a little tricky to get to if you are just used to getting off 495 and following the traffic to the stadium. I don't think there is any catch/disadvantage other than being on the opposite side of the stadium from the legendary ES Tailgate. However, you are much closer to the players "Gold" parking lot, I always found it is fun to watch them leave after the games.

Thanks. I think I will be buying these due the clarification/explanations. I am assuming the best way to get to this lot is by not taking the first exit off 495 (exit 17) and waiting until you reach exit 15 and get in via morgan blvd.

From Morgan Blvd, you go through the back of the A lot, cross the street that is blocked off (I think that is brightseed road) and enter the B lot. the best way to Morgan blvd is debatable. As I said, come in off of Central Avenue.

If you remember where the shuttle bus drop off used to be, that is lot B. Since there are no more buses, the whole lot is now open to tailgate. We started parking there because it was convienent to the buses and we had people who used to come to our tailgate on the shuttle.

It is also the closest lot to the escalator to the upper deck, if you have upper deck tickets and don't want to walk up the ramp

Thanks. I think I will be buying these due the clarification/explanations. I am assuming the best way to get to this lot is by not taking the first exit off 495 (exit 17) and waiting until you reach exit 15 and get in via morgan blvd.

Yes take exit 15. I tailgate on the west side right near the inner fence where the metro bus line used to pick up a few years ago. Plenty of room to do whatever you want, and a short walk to the stadium.

I think the consensus is to take Central Avenue if you are coming from downtown DC, I know a couple guys who come from Northern VA and take this approach as well. If you take the beltway, Exit 15 is the way to go. Keep in mind beltway traffic is always much heavier than Central Ave directly before and after the game.

I think the consensus is to take Central Avenue if you are coming from downtown DC, I know a couple guys who come from Northern VA and take this approach as well. If you take the beltway, Exit 15 is the way to go. Keep in mind beltway traffic is always much heavier than Central Ave directly before and after the game.

I can confirm that. Central Ave from DC is the fastest way to FedEx Field. I normally go south on Rt 295 and cut over to Central Blvd going and coming. No stop and go traffic....well as long as you don't arrive right before game time.

Yes. The team advises this as well (scroll to the bottom):

http://prod.static.redskins.clubs.nfl.com/assets/docs/Directions-to-FedExField.pdf

I LOVE my new seats in section 207, row 3. After one measly pre-season game, there is no doubt in my mind that the 200 level are the best seats in the stadium. Love the elevation. It is just right. No need to stand all game long because the Dream Seat crowd has to stand to see the playing field which forces the 100 level sideline folks to also stand. I'm under cover and can stay dry when it rains. Just wonderful seats. Only complaint I have is the speakers are quite muffled sounding and it was almost impossible to understand the announcer (that's actually a good thing) or the referee.

Best seats in the house are in the 200 level.

Hey Mark...if you read this, at least in my section, the water drip issue occurs in row 2 not row 3. I was completely dry during all the rain we had prior to the game. In row 2, the seat backs were dry but the areas where ones knees would be was wet. Maybe the difference was caused by the new digital ribbon boards. The "seats under cover" section of your list says row 3 is knee is wet and head is dry.

Did I say "I LOVE my new seats!":D

Since I'm in the FedEx Field thread, I also really like the new ribbon boards. I think they bring the stadium into the modern age and just give it some character. Yes, there's lots of advertising. But all the color and motion just seems to liven up the feel of the stadium. MUCH better than the old flip signs that were butt ugly and dated.

Hey Mark...if you read this, at least in my section, the water drip issue occurs in row 2 not row 3. I was completely dry during all the rain we had prior to the game. In row 2, the seat backs were dry but the areas where ones knees would be was wet. Maybe the difference was caused by the new digital ribbon boards. The "seats under cover" section of your list says row 3 is knee is wet and head is dry.

Hi S&S, :)

I believe it says your knees "may" get wet in row 3, but all I know is the sidelines sections. Maybe the seat locations are slightly different in the corners? Or it could be the wind behaves differently in that corner since you have a wall and the press box behind you.

I think on the sidelines, the drips may hit the seat backs in row 2, and splatter on the knees. Also, if there is a little wind, the rain may blow in. For example, I sat in 306 (above you) row 19 for 3 years. And although row 18 is completely undercover, and even row 17 is partially undercover because of the upper deck overhang, the people sitting in row 17 got soaked every game, and the ones in row 18 got their knees and thighs wet every single game, no exceptions. It's possible that the other side of the stadium is different - the prevailing west wind causing the currents to behave differently.

Next week, we'll break this down to a molecular level, and we can discuss it - taking into account the shifting dynamics of air density. :silly:

Congrats on your new seats!

I LOVE my new seats in section 207, row 3. After one measly pre-season game, there is no doubt in my mind that the 200 level are the best seats in the stadium. Love the elevation. It is just right. No need to stand all game long because the Dream Seat crowd has to stand to see the playing field which forces the 100 level sideline folks to also stand. I'm under cover and can stay dry when it rains. Just wonderful seats. Only complaint I have is the speakers are quite muffled sounding and it was almost impossible to understand the announcer (that's actually a good thing) or the referee.

Best seats in the house are in the 200 level.

Did I say "I LOVE my new seats!":D

Since I'm in the FedEx Field thread, I also really like the new ribbon boards. I think they bring the stadium into the modern age and just give it some character. Yes, there's lots of advertising. But all the color and motion just seems to liven up the feel of the stadium. MUCH better than the old flip signs that were butt ugly and dated.

S&S, I have almost your exact "mirror" seats: Section 229 row 12. +1 on all your observations, you will definitely enjoy them during hot days and inclement weather. I actually prefer the endzone view to the sideline view. Only problem we have on the visitors side is that all the Sndyer built obstructed/limited view tickets are snatched up by cheap-@ss opposing fans who are always incredibly obnoxious. There are no better seats in FedEx Field like the original 200 level seats built by JKC.

My other observations from the first game:

Crowd was definitely small, I feel like the weather may have kept some people away. I arrived at 1:30pm, traffic was incredibly smooth on the Beltway and roads leading to the Stadium. I didn't see anyone have trouble finding a parking spot or a place to tailgate, but of course it's only preseason. I am really hoping the ease of entrance/exit will continue to an extent during the regular season due to the reduced stadium capacity.

I will echo others' sentiments that the exposed beams look absolutely horrible. I am no acoustics expert, but perhaps Dan could install some shaped panels over the beams that would reflect the noise back toward the field.

Don't really feel one way or another about the ribbon boards but I did not find them distracting. Overall I think Dan and the Skins staff are making a genuine effort to improve the gameday experience from start to finish, realizing that they have lost many fans to HDTV's and Sunday Ticket. Of course they would rather have a state of the art facility on the RFK ground like we do, but unfortunately Dan inherited FedEx and it's problems when he bought the team. I feel like since Bruce Allen has come to the team there has been a genuine effort to communicate with the Season Ticket Holders and solve the problems that people have complained about ad nauseam since 1997.

I noticed some cars with Green B3 passes parking in Green lots other than B3, I assume the parking attendants were not enforcing the restriction since there was nowhere near a full parking lot. Will be interesting to see the extent of this enforcement during the regular season.

Also to note, it appears that instead of the invasive pat downs of previous years they are now scanning fans with magnetometer wands at all entrances, asking them to hold metal objects in their pockets. To be honest, it appeared that the line actually moved faster as the wand scan goes much quicker than a full body patdown.

Absolutely they do. I had hoped they were going to put up tarps or banners or even more solar panels. Really do look awful.

Yeah they look pretty bad.

My brother and I also did some exploring yesterday... if you sit in the corner seats of the "half sections" that go all of the way to row 29, you don't get to see about 80% of the endzones on those sides. Just FYSA for anyone looking to sit there.

Hi S&S, :)

I believe it says your knees "may" get wet in row 3, but all I know is the sidelines sections. Maybe the seat locations are slightly different in the corners? Or it could be the wind behaves differently in that corner since you have a wall and the press box behind you.

I think on the sidelines, the drips may hit the seat backs in row 2, and splatter on the knees. Also, if there is a little wind, the rain may blow in. For example, I sat in 306 (above you) row 19 for 3 years. And although row 18 is completely undercover, and even row 17 is partially undercover because of the upper deck overhang, the people sitting in row 17 got soaked every game, and the ones in row 18 got their knees and thighs wet every single game, no exceptions. It's possible that the other side of the stadium is different - the prevailing west wind causing the currents to behave differently.

Next week, we'll break this down to a molecular level, and we can discuss it - taking into account the shifting dynamics of air density. :silly:

Congrats on your new seats!

Like I said, maybe it was just my section or the new ribbon boards. I'll keep reporting each year as I move around to the 50 yard line :silly:

---------- Post added August-26th-2012 at 12:12 PM ----------

Regarding the new wands replacing the frisking.....Fans need to be prepared to empty their pockets of ALL metal. Poor guy next to me had lots of coins, nail clippers, keys, radio, head phones and other assorted metallic stuff. He couldn't hold it all in his hands and got very frustrated and angry. The security guard did not help matters by giving attitude and threatening to deny access if he "did not shut up"....repeatedly. The fan was an older guy really frustrated; did not appear drunk. I showed up a little after it started so I don't know the whole story. Just have all your metallic stuff in one pocket and ready to pull out. At least my guy didn't make me take off my belt! (metal buckle). What are they going to do in the winter when people show up with metal zippers and buttons on their jackets?

Frankly, I thought the wands slowed things down because everyone had to keep digging in their pockets every time the damn wand beeped. The good news I guess is that it will be much easier to smuggle in food and plastic bottles of you know what. The process may speed up as people realize they have to pull out all their metallic stuff before they get to the guy with the wand.

I went through with no problem and had keys and a metal belt buckle. Wonder if some of the sensitivity on wands were at different settings??

Oh yeah and what happened to seeing the video the official see's on the big screen??? They did it sometimes and sometimes they didn't.

I went through with no problem and had keys and a metal belt buckle. Wonder if some of the sensitivity on wands were at different settings??

Oh yeah and what happened to seeing the video the official see's on the big screen??? They did it sometimes and sometimes they didn't.

That last review, we did not get to see, lasted so damn long the wave went around the stadium 5+ times. Fans were board to death. Bring back the real refs!

Yeah, When I saw them on the broadcast, I was hoping I was not getting senile and just didn't remember them from last year. LOL I am glad they are modernizing the stadium as much as they can each season.

The new security measures are going to make for some very long lines until people get used to them.

At the gate I went in, the wand guys were demanding that folks empty their pockets of everything before even using the wand, but there was not way to know this in advance. As noted above, there was also no place to put the stuff from your pockets. The guy ahead of me handed what must have been about $20 in mixed coinage to the guard to hold while he tried to empty his other pockets of other items. In my case the guy told me to put everything from my pockets in my ball cap. He then ended up partially frisking me anyway, because the grommets on my poncho and the buttons on my pants pockets were setting off his wand.

For cold weather games, I often have metal things in pockets that are a few layers of clothing deep. I'll know better by then, but many single game guests won't and will slow things up for everyone else.

I score this development Al Qaeda 1, NFL 0.

>>Do the exposed steel supports where the seats were ripped out look as unseemly in person as they do on TV? They need to put SOMETHING up there.

...and if it is raining and you are walking on the upper deck concourse underneath where the seats were, you get wet.....not sure if tarps would help in the rain, they would probaby just pool the water up and dump it in one big load....

Archived