Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

"Running QBs" Winning Superbowls

Demarqo

I don't really care about the general perception at this moment. I think people will look back 10 years from now at what we're doing and it will be discussed as an innovation akin to New England implementing the spread with Brady. I can't predict the future and winning a Super is very difficult, but I think we'll be in position to challenge for a championship for a long time.

Elway and Young ran some, but not anywhere near as much as Griffin (or Kaepernick) does.

I'm not rooting for the 49ers because ... well I don't like them. And if a QB is going to win a superbowl in a new and unique way, I want it to be our guy.

What do you mean by "running QB"? Were Staubach, Griese, Elway or Young "running QBs"? Yes, by the time Elway or Young won their rings, I guess you could say their game had "morphed" but that is an identifying feature of franchise QBs in that they play multiple styles over their carer, sometimes in the same season. At Baylor, RG3 ran a more traditional spread option offense in his first year as a true freshman but still managed to stay away from the TO and showed passing chops even then. In his third year, he ran a spread option offense that used a lot of dink and dunk passing. In his fourth year, while there will still many traditional spread option offense elements, RG3 was throwing the deep ball often. In the pros so far, RG3 has quickly adjusted to the level of competition, has shown he has a good dink and dunk game and has the ability to throw for chunks. These are as good indications that you are going to get from rookie play that RG3 has the biggest elements that separates the franchise QB from the merely good ones, the ability to play a different game when needed and the ability to adjust up to the level of the competition,

Archived