Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2012-13 NHL and Other Hockey Thread [2013 Stanley Cup Playoffs]

Sticksboi05

I will buy NHL 13 on Sunday. Unless there is a lockout, then I am done with hockey. Never again.

The owners got EXACTLY what they wanted 7 years ago. Shut the league down for cost certainty. Now thats not good enough? **** all of them.

Hockey has 9 fans as it is. The reason they think they can do this is because all 9 always come back. Not this time......

I'll take the less popular opinion. The NHL built up a salary structure that paid the players the same as the other major sports but hockey is a niche sport that can fill most arenas but has TERRIBLE tv ratings. It doesn't generate in tv revenue anywhere near what the other major sports generate. The players might be a little out of touch with what they are worth. Jeff Schultz makes $3M per year in a sport whose finals tv ratings can't beat a typical NASCAR race. It just seems out-of-whack.

Luckily, NCAA hockey does not have a CBA :)

Bring on the season! There's a bunch of games on NBC Sports Network this year.

---------------------

Fri., Oct. 12 Notre Dame vs. #12 Maine 7 p.m.

Army vs. Nebraska-Omaha TBD

Sat., Oct. 13 Final (Teams TBD) 7:30 p.m.

Nov. 16 Harvard at #13 Cornell 7:30 p.m.

Nov. 30 #1 Boston College at #11 Boston University 7:30 p.m.

Wisconsin at #8 Denver 10 p.m.

Dec. 1 #11 Boston University at #1 Boston College 7:30 p.m.

Dec. 7 Michigan State at Notre Dame 7:30 p.m.

Jan. 4 Colorado College at Nebraska-Omaha 7:30 p.m.

Jan. 11 #3 Union at Princeton 7:30 p.m.

Nebraska-Omaha at Denver 10 p.m.

Jan. 18 Harvard at Yale 7:30 p.m.

Jan. 25 Yale at #13 Cornell 7:30 p.m.

Feb. 1 Dartmouth at #3 Union 7:30 p.m.

Feb. 8 #6 North Dakota at Nebraska-Omaha 7:30 p.m.

Feb. 15 #11 Boston University at #12 Maine 7:30 p.m.

Feb. 22 Yale at Quinnipiac 7:30 p.m.

#6 North Dakota at #8 Denver 10 p.m.

March 1 Wisconsin at Nebraska-Omaha 7:30 p.m.

March 8 #12 Maine at New Hampshire 7:30 p.m.

Hockey East Tournament

March 15 Quarterfinals 7 p.m.

March 22 Semifinals 4 p.m. and 7 p.m. (@ TD Garden – Boston, MA)

March 23 Final 7 p.m. (@ TD Garden – Boston, MA

I'll take the less popular opinion. The NHL built up a salary structure that paid the players the same as the other major sports but hockey is a niche sport that can fill most arenas but has TERRIBLE tv ratings. It doesn't generate in tv revenue anywhere near what the other major sports generate. The players might be a little out of touch with what they are worth. Jeff Schultz makes $3M per year in a sport whose finals tv ratings can't beat a typical NASCAR race. It just seems out-of-whack.

that is what the lockout in 2005 was for. The salaries were totally out of whack. They made a salary cap system that linked players salaries to league revenues. The first year the salary cap was around 40 million dollars. This year? It's 70.2 million. Hockey revenues have gone up dramatically since the last lockout. The only issue now is that the owners don't want to pay that percentage anymore. The system that was everything they wanted 7 years ago isn't good enough anymore.

Can't believe there is about to be another lockout in the NHL. Did they not learn from the last one, and how it crippled them?

That's the thing, it DIDNT cripple them. It should have, but it didn't. And thats why they are ready to do it all over again......

It's a shame.

IMO, it's the owner's fault. In a lock out, it's always the owners fault to me. In this case the owners want a salary decrease and the players are content to keep the salaries the same (or in the same trajectory). How the owners could let two lock outs happen in the course of 10 years is all on them.

I don't want to watch amateur (college) hockey. Does the KHL broadcast any games in America?

It's a shame.

IMO, it's the owner's fault. In a lock out, it's always the owners fault to me. In this case the owners want a salary decrease and the players are content to keep the salaries the same (or in the same trajectory). How the owners could let two lock outs happen in the course of 10 years is all on them.

I don't want to watch amateur (college) hockey. Does the KHL broadcast any games in America?

Do you watch college football?

Do you watch college football?

Yeah but not like I watch the NFL.

I get what you are saying and it's a valid comparison. I really just watch college football because that's "what's on" on Saturday's. I don't have a team. I watch it because I like football and could easily switch from one game to the next. I'll probably catch some NCAA hockey but I'd love to see KHL. I want to see how Kuznetsov and all the other washed up, under talented Euro-Russians play.

Archived