Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Coverage & Interactive Game Day Thread: 2012 Redskins vs Bears (Final)

NoLeafClover

ES Coverage: 2012 Redskins vs Bears

8/18/12

7816699620_eac86ac37c_c.jpg

DEFEAT

Bears 33 - Redskins 31

:helmet:

Hello everyone and welcome. I'm Joel, alongside murf, and we are getting set to bring you this week's Redskins game.

When Robert Griffin III connected with Pierre Garcon for a 20-yard touchdown pass in the Redskins first preseason game, it's safe to say that most eyes were on the second overall pick in the draft and the newly-acquired wide receiver. But perhaps more attention should have been paid to offensive lineman Trent Williams, who sprinted up field to throw the crucial block on a Bills safety, which freed up Garcon to make a spectacularly acrobatic finish to his touchdown reception.

Admit it: casual football fans often overlook the linemen. Most fans tend to simply follow the ball when watching a football game. And while having a marquee quarterback this season means that those of you watching the ball are in for quite a show, we all should keep a close eye on the guys blocking for RGIII.

The downside to leveraging the farm to secure a franchise quarterback is that other areas in need of being upgraded end up suffering. One of the biggest victims of the Griffin trade is the O-line. Coming into this season, there were already questions about the health of left guard Kory Lichtensteiger and right tackle Jammal Brown. Both have already been sidelined with injuries. Head coach Mike Shanahan has said in interviews that he hopes to have Lichtensteiger back in the lineup by the start of the regular season. Brown's return time is still completely up in the air.

Even the linemen still in the lineup are banged up after the first week of preseason. Yesterday, Coach Shanahan was asked about the health of offensive linemen Trent Williams, Chris Chester and Maurice Hurt. He gave this sobering update: “They all practiced today, but they weren’t 100 percent. They worked through it. I have to assess them before the game to see how they can play. Chester yesterday only went about 10-15 minutes. Today [he] was without pads. He looked better, but to say the he could [go] right now I think would be a little premature. I got a pretty good feeling about Maurice. I think he’ll be able to go. My gut is Trent will be able to go, but I can’t say that 100 percent right now.”

And trust me, the O-line will be tested this week. Even though it's only preseason, Shanahan has already stated that he plans on keeping the starters in for "anywhere from 30-35 plays, usually it’s about a half.” So they will be seeing a lot of playing time.

On top of that, they'll be facing off against a Pro Bowl pass rusher in Julius Peppers, who no doubt would love nothing more than to welcome Griffin to the league with a sack or two. How the makeshift offensive line handles Peppers and the rest of the Chicago defensive front, will be a good indication of how big of a mountain they'll have to climb as the season progresses. Peppers missed the first preseason game due to "field conditions," so he will certainly be looking to put on a show for his hometown crowd in his return to action. And even with Brian Urlacher out of the lineup for Chicago, the Bears still have plenty of talented defenders to gameplan for.

That's why the O-line will be my focus this week. As I've done in years past, I'll be giving you my thoughts on every facet of the game (and, of course, of the spread in the press box) and sharing murf's messages from the sidelines, but I'll be paying special attention to Williams and the gang and seeing how they fare this week. Hopefully, I'll have good news to report back to you at all.

If those players can't go in Washington's second preseason game, that means someone else will have to step up in their place. On the one hand, you really want your starters to be upright and healthy, but on the other, it's not a terrible idea to see how rookies such as Josh LeRibeus and Adam Gettis fare against an opposing team's starters. Either way, we'll have a better idea of how much running Griffin is going to have to do this season by the time this one is over.

[Random side note: One other fun thing to pay attention to with the offensive line is veteran lineman Jordan Black's weight. Black thought he was out of the NFL this season, so he allowed himself to slim down. When he got the call from the 'Skins two weeks ago, Black was down to a svelte 270 pounds. He's been eating around 7,000 calories a day in hopes of bulking back up to 290. So I'll also be watching the ever-expanding Jordan Black to see how he does for the second team offensive line.]

But the game is still a day away, which gives us plenty of time to speculate on how it will go and what we are in for. As I post this, murf and I are heading out to the airport to catch our flight to Chicago. As we fight over the armrest, I'd love to hear from you guys what you think about the offensive line, the team as a whole or anything else you want to discuss. I'm getting this thread started early to get you guys pumped up and to hear from you on what you are thinking and what you want us to cover.

I'll also try to check back in with some updates on our various shenanigans in the Windy City leading up to the game. Hopefully we'll have some good stories to share.

7:51 PM - The inflatable bear at the entrance ramp looks fairly menacing when he is being inflated. It kind of appeared like he was attacking the people getting him set up as he wiggled around and grew larger. Exciting stuff. Also, apparently there will be people parachuting into the stadium during the pregame festivities. Chicago has an air/boat show going on this weekend, so apparently they are taking full advantage of that.

8:08 PM - The offensive line looks good on the first two plays, which are handoffs to Alfred Morris. The first passing attempt is ugly though, with Adam Gettis getting flagged for holding and Robert Griffin III running for his life to avoid getting sacked.

8:17 PM - The Redskins should consider covering Brandon Marshall tonight.

8:18 PM - Michael Bush with a one-yard touchdown run. The Bears score in six plays, racking up 82 yards in two minute and 53 seconds, thanks mostly to two big passes to Brandon Marshall. 0-7

8:27 PM - Griffin throws up a wounded duck pass on third-and-two that Niles Paul should have been able to haul in for a fourth down, but drops. The passing game has yet to come together so far, though Morris has looked solid on runs.

8:31 PM - Brian Orakpo shaken up on the last play. It looks like he landed wrong on his arm, possibly his elbow or his shoulder.

8:38 PM - The defense looked better on that drive.

8:40 PM - Of course, then RGIII with a sack-fumble giving the Bears the ball in the red zone. So much for keeping him clean.

8:43 PM - Bush with an eight-yard touchdown run on second down. Brandon Meriweather is shaken up on the play. He has to be helped off the field. Your official scoring drive summary - two plays, eight yards, nine seconds. 0-14

END OF FIRST QUARTER

0-14

8:53 PM - From Murf's Twitter: "After first quarter, Jay Cutler has 99 passing yards. Robert Griffin III has -3. That's not very good for the away team."

9:03 PM - Jay Cutler mistakes Josh Wilson for DeAngelo Hall and throws the ball right two him. Unfortunately, Wilson drops the easy interception.

9:04 PM - Robbie Gould increases the Bears lead with a 45-yard field goal. Nine plays, 35 yards in three minutes and 31 seconds. At least no Redskins were hurt on that drive. 0-17

9:11 PM - Nice 14-yard bootleg there by Griffin. Trent Williams had a nice block on that run too to give Griffin time to roll out of the pocket.

9:04 PM - Neil Rackers puts the first Redskins points on the board with a 28-yard field goal. Nine plays, 70 yards in four minutes and 30 seconds. 3-17

9:15 PM - Hi Jason Campbell!

9:28 PM - Jason Campbell making some great passes on this drive, which would be great news if this was 2009.

9:33 PM - For the third preseason in a row, Banks returns one for a touchdown. This time it's a 91-yard return for the TD. It seemed like the Bears were just standing around watching him run. Preseason. 10-14

9:40 PM - DeAngelo Hall completely blows his coverage of Eric Weems, giving up a 33-yard pass to put the Bears in the red zone. That was ugly.

9:44 PM -[/b ] Robbie Gould connects with a 28-yard field goal with three seconds left on the clock. Chicago scores again in seven plays, 51 yards, taking one minute and 26 seconds off the clock. [b]10-20

HALFTIME

10-17

Thanks to Banks, the score makes it look a lot closer than it has been. It was an ugly first half, with Griffin struggling, the defense giving up big plays and a slew of troublesome injuries. Let's see how the backups do in the second half.

10:02 PM - Apparently no one told the Redskins the second half was starting. Lorenzo Booker opens things up with a 105-yard kick return for a touchdown. 10-27

10:20 PM - Neil Rackers goes wide left on a 54-yard field goal attempt to cap off a thoroughly underwhelming Kirk Cousins drive.

10:21 PM - From Murf's Twitter: "For what it's worth, Brian Orakpo and Brandon Merriweather just walked by me on the sidelines to rejoin their teammates."

10:30 PM - The Redskins with an impressive goal line stand there, keeping the Bears out of the end zone on three straight plays. The Bears are forced to settle for a 19-yard field goal from Gould. 10 plays, 55 yards, four minutes and 44 seconds. 10-30

END OF THIRD QUARTER

10-30

10:41 PM - Blake Costanzo looks like he could be Brian Urlacher's son.

10:48 PM - This is the longest game ever.

PHOTOS

7816700842_168d2eabb1_o.jpg

To see ExtremeSkins game photos click HERE

AUDIO

To listen to comments from Lorenzo Alexander click HERE

To listen to comments from Pierre Garcon click HERE

To listen to comments from Adam Gettis click HERE

To listen to comments from Josh LeRibeus click HERE

To listen to comments from Alfred Morris click HERE

To listen to comments from Brian Orakpo click HERE

To listen to comments from Perry Riley click HERE

To listen to comments from Aldrick Robinson click HERE

To listen to comments from Keenan Robinson click HERE

To listen to comments from Trent Williams click HERE

o please give us updates on the OL: Willie Smith, Tom Compton, James Lee, Josh LeRib, Gettis, Campbell oh yeah and Jordan Black

o Could you keep an eye of the Safeties especially Jordan Bernstine (does he play specials? which units is he on KR/PR coverage? Is he good?)

Things I'm looking forward to seeing:

o I want to see Griffin pass more.

I want to see more 1st-10/ 2nd-10/ 3rd-long passing attempts that are straight drop back, read it out, make a decision and get the ball out.

I don't want to see him throw off playaction in a preseason game nor throw bubble screens. We know that he can throw to receivers that are open and hit well defined reads.

I want to see him and suspect he will benefit most from getting live reps of going through progression reads against different pass coverages.

o Want to see Morris run with the 1s

o Want to see more base defense lets see these guys in coverage and execute their coverage assignments

o Hankerson/Morgan i want to see these guys targeted more

Starting the tread a little early today..'bout to get on the plane hopefully I get to my destination on time and get to watch the 1st half... so with that out of the way...

:beavisnbutthead: GO SKINS and RG3. :):beavisnbutthead:

A little history: The game is the first preseason meeting between the Redskins and Bears since a 9-7 Bears win in 1976.

Chat Room

what to cook for this game.... what to cook :)

---------- Post added August-18th-2012 at 05:11 PM ----------

Listening to ESPN980 pregame show...........Gosh I hate Chris Russell's voice & manner of speaking. For some reason Idk, I just despise it and he has ruined my espn980 listening pleasure when he's on air.

Pricks tend to do that.

Am going to watch pre game at 7.....then have already advised all family that i will be in the redskin man cave for the game.....looking forward to seeing more of rgiii in particular....maybe see more of his atheleticism on display than last week. A lot of other things to pay attention to this week....but certainly most of us are jonesing for a larger dose of RG.

I wonder if he's going to be Cutler's favorite target again? :)

I wonder if he's ever gona' pick off a QB again? There's not been many since that record equalling day in Chicago a year or two back.

MASSIVE game for Morris tonight if he wants to make this team with THT and Helu out. He should get the vast majority of the snaps, and he can showcase all his skills, protecting and running. Gota' figure he won't get too many chances the next two games with tonight's missing needing snaps. I'd say this is the game that will decide if he makes the roster.

Good luck Alfred., Show the coaches that you belong!

Hail.

Thanks everyone for the comments so far. Let's keep them coming.

Murf and I are now here at the stadium. I'm in the press box, ready for action. (The Redskins are rocking gold pants and white tops for you fashionistas out there.)

And now, the important stuff - an update on the food we've been eating since we got here.

I think Murf and I have both gained 20 pounds since yesterday. The good is way too good out here.

We had g.e.b. for lunch yesterday, which I'd highly recommend. The place has a really cool vibe, complete with menus printed on old vinyl records. (Fittingly, I got Chicago. Our poor buddy Chuck got Wham.) The food is phenomenal, especially the beignets (a.k.a. the dessert RGIII promised to make his offensive linemen if they keep him clean).

This morning we had Walker Bros. for breakfast. They have pancakes with bacon cooked into them. It was hard to eat them with the tears of joy welling up in my eyes.

We also toured the Jelly Belly Factory in nearby Milwaukee this afternoon, which was really fun.

The only downside to the trip is the inevitable adult onset diabetes I have to look forward to. Still, totally worth it.

Pre game said london is not starting.....dont know if it is something serious, or just want to see someone else in the middle.

Yes, Lorenzo Alexander will get the start over London. I doubt it's anything serious. We haven't heard any official word, but I would assume they are just giving London a break because they can and because it gives them a chance to see other talent. The guy has been around so long, you know what you are getting with him at this point.

MASSIVE game for Morris tonight if he wants to make this team with THT and Helu out. He should get the vast majority of the snaps, and he can showcase all his skills, protecting and running. Gota' figure he won't get too many chances the next two games with tonight's missing needing snaps. I'd say this is the game that will decide if he makes the roster.

Good luck Alfred., Show the coaches that you belong!

Hail.

Seconded.

Hope I get to see him a lot.

(Heck, hope I get to see ANYTHING a lot, since the NFL's video feed of last week's game stank on ice.)

Archived