Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Memory Lane: Heath Shuler

slats7

It was widely considered a really bad year for qbs that year. Trent Dilfer was the unchallenged second best qb in the draft and there was some doubt whether he was the best. With that in mind, Norv Turner... offensive genius Norv Turner, wanted a qb to mold in his image. Ratings be damned. And thus we got Heath Shuler.

I think the closer parallel would be Heath Shuler and Gabbert last year. Shannahan chose not to reach for a qb even though he was considered the next best guy and we had a gaping need at QB. This year, we're making our move and we'll either get RGIII or Luck.

Will it work out? Knock on wood.

I was quite excited about this draft. 20 years old, 3 Lombardi's from age 9-18. A couple off years, and then Norval was supposed to grab his QB. Shuler to Westbrook (drafted the following year) was supposed to be our version of Aikman to Irvin. No one was supposed to beat that, turns out the worst beating was Westbrook on Stephen Davis.

Imagine if we had done a RGIII deal to move up to #2 in 1994?

1994 #1 QB Shuler

1994 #2 OG Tre Johnson

1995 #1 WR Westbrook

1996 #1 OT Andre Johnson

For a guy named Marshall Faulk. Heck, let's throw in 1997 #1 too (DL Kennard Lang) and it still would have been a steal for us... Hopefully the RGIII trade is the same kind of deal, and I think it just might be!

Archived