Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Memory Lane: Heath Shuler

slats7

Remember the last Black QB the Redskins had? Not to shabby !!! This kid is the real deal.He is a brain and some kind of freak athlete.I can not wait to see him play.He seems like a real nice young man.The Redskins will fall in love with him.HTTR.

Tony Banks?

Crap, somebody beat me to it.

---------- Post added March-19th-2012 at 09:28 AM ----------

When Theismann endorses you, be very afraid.

Theismann beat your asses enough.

Boy in retrospect we were ****ed any way we went. But despite revisionist history, Shuler and Dilfer were legit 1st round picks that season. Both were graded lower than the top 2 the season before (Bledsoe & Mirer) and it was felt that the Skins were reaching for a QB at 3, but it's not like they (Shuler/Dilfer) were second round graded players that the Skins were reaching for. It was more like they were first round graded but between picks 8-15 or so.

This is exactly right. Terrible year to be in the QB market. Just think- 1 year later and we would have been drafting Steve McNair.

People say the Heath Shuler pick set us back a decade. This is just not true. Gus Frerotte set us back a decade. He was just like Jason Campbell- a coach and franchise killer. The type of QB who will lead you to season after season of mediocrity... keeping you out of the high rounds of the draft and playoffs, both. Really, the absolute worst place for a franchise to be.

The WORST thing an NFL QB can be is mediocre. If the Lions had Jason Campbell, they would have missed out on Suh, Stafford, and Megatron. If RGIII does fail, I hope he does it in spectacular fashion so we can move on quickly.

This is exactly right. Terrible year to be in the QB market. Just think- 1 year later and we would have been drafting Steve McNair.

People say the Heath Shuler pick set us back a decade. This is just not true. Gus Frerotte set us back a decade. He was just like Jason Campbell- a coach and franchise killer. The type of QB who will lead you to season after season of mediocrity... keeping you out of the high rounds of the draft and playoffs, both. Really, the absolute worst place for a franchise to be.

The WORST thing an NFL QB can be is mediocre. If the Lions had Jason Campbell, they would have missed out on Suh, Stafford, and Megatron. If RGIII does fail, I hope he does it in spectacular fashion so we can move on quickly.

I actually think Norv set us back a decade. He was trying to make us into something we weren't. Dallass Cowboys North. Team are copycats and we were trying to come up with our own version of the "triplets" and I think we tried too hard. We reach for Shuler and would have reached for Dilfer. We reached for Westbrook and would have reached for Stokes also. The only thing we had going for us was a good Stephen Davis.

---------- Post added March-19th-2012 at 10:15 AM ----------

Bet you weren't laughing after this.

I wonder how much "Bounty" Dexter was paid for knocking Danny White's Lights Out?

Imagine if we had done a RGIII deal to move up to #2 in 1994?

1994 #1 QB Shuler

1994 #2 OG Tre Johnson

1995 #1 WR Westbrook

1996 #1 OT Andre Johnson

For a guy named Marshall Faulk. Heck, let's throw in 1997 #1 too (DL Kennard Lang) and it still would have been a steal for us... Hopefully the RGIII trade is the same kind of deal, and I think it just might be!

And run of draft futility was all pre-Vinny Cerrato too. lol

Boy in retrospect we were ****ed any way we went. But despite revisionist history, Shuler and Dilfer were legit 1st round picks that season. Both were graded lower than the top 2 the season before (Bledsoe & Mirer) and it was felt that the Skins were reaching for a QB at 3, but it's not like they (Shuler/Dilfer) were second round graded players that the Skins were reaching for. It was more like they were first round graded but between picks 8-15 or so.

Casserly was on the Junkies this morning talking Shuler actually. He said they had Shuler with a late-1st round grade but had to reach at #3 because they so desperately needed a QB.

---------- Post added March-19th-2012 at 10:24 AM ----------

Lol at Kiper ****ing about the Colts not drafting Dilfer because all they had was Harbaugh. Harbaugh almost took them to the Super Bowl the season after this draft by the way.

They still ****ed up taking Trev Alberts. Not to mention they traded up for him.

Casserly was on the Junkies this morning talking Shuler actually. He said they had Shuler with a late-1st round grade but had to reach at #3 because they so desperately needed a QB.

That's very interesting, especially with us passing on Gabbert last year. Kyle S said it in an interview- about Teams reaching for guys in the first round just because they need a QB so bad.

The fact that so many smart people were in on this move- Mike, Kyle, Bruce, etc... and so willing to give up so much... I mean, I really feel comfortable about this pick and trade. Sure RGIII could still fail, but I think it's safe to say he's a true high-first round grade no matter what.

That's very interesting, especially with us passing on Gabbert last year. Kyle S said it in an interview- about Teams reaching for guys in the first round just because they need a QB so bad.

The fact that so many smart people were in on this move- Mike, Kyle, Bruce, etc... and so willing to give up so much... I mean, I really feel comfortable about this pick and trade. Sure RGIII could still fail, but I think it's safe to say he's a true high-first round grade no matter what.

He (Casserly) also couldn't find a bad thing to say about RGIII. They asked him what other QB's graded out like RGIII but ultimately failed. He couldn't name one. Ditto Luck.

Dan Graziano just posted a great little blog on ESPN about how we made the right move:

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast/post/_/id/37225/the-redskins-scary-alternate-universe

Valid thread? Look at the OP, He has created three threads, two are video threads and this one. What is him motivation? Trolling for adverse reaction, he is a Cowboy fan.

NNT at min, B2A if the Mods go that way won't hurt the quality of the board.

slats7

The Waterboy

Aug 2011

takoma park, md

Game vids

Dallas fan here ....

I'm afraid you're suffering from a galloping case of paranoia. Yes, I'm a Dallas fan, but I've never tried to hide that fact and most of my vids have been complimentary towards your team. Someone requested Darrell Green running down Tony Dorsett on MNF and I posted it. Just the other day I posted a vid of London Fletcher delivering a big hit. I posted a ton of clips of your exhibition game against Baltimore last summer. Trust me, I'm no troll.

Yes indeed, the Cowboys swung and missed on Shante Carver in the '94 draft, and to that end I posted a video at Dallas Cowboys Universe and Dallas Cowboys Central showing an ultra-confident Jerry Jones making a fool of himself after that trade. The purpose of the Shuler footage was to mock the so-called "experts" at ESPN's disposal (Theismann, Jaws, Kiper), not to plant seeds of doubt about RG3. Besides, we all know there are no guarantees in this game as it is. That includes Mr. Luck.

I'm afraid you're suffering from a galloping case of paranoia. Yes, I'm a Dallas fan, but I've never tried to hide that fact and most of my vids have been complimentary towards your team. SThe purpose of the Shuler footage was to mock the so-called "experts" at ESPN's disposal (Theismann, Jaws, Kiper), not to plant seeds of doubt about RG3. Besides, we all know there are no guarantees in this game as it is. That includes Mr. Luck.

--Funny, You don't list your favorite team as the Cowboys in your profile, I had to find it in one of your other threads. The purpose of this thread is debatable at best. Your timing is beyond being highly suspect considering the subject matter. You post some pleasantries and then on the cusp of the draft you bring up Shuler as to evidence that nobody is such a sure thing. Dude we know, we lived it. We don't need you reminding us of it. If you thought this bitter pill was going to go down sweet you were wrong.

The Cowboy nation would be reveling in RG3 if they were possibly selecting him. So in closing, the thread was baiting and I think trolling, not for me to decide what to do if anything about it, but my opinion regardless.

I too was an excited and wide eyed hopeful kid at the time. I still have Shulers jersey left over. He did show flashes of promise like when he nearly single handedly played the hero in bringing back the redskins in the 4th quarter against the Giants on Sunday Night Football.

I too was a hopless loyal homer in those days.

I too was an excited and wide eyed hopeful kid at the time. I still have Shulers jersey left over. He did show flashes of promise like when he nearly single handedly played the hero in bringing back the redskins in the 4th quarter against the Giants on Sunday Night Football.

I too was a hopless loyal homer in those days.

Honestly, Shuler's problem was that he was selected 3rd overall. His other problem was that he was playing in a traditional drop back style offense.

Had he been given the opportunity to develop a few years and placed in a WC Offense, I don't think it's a stretch to think he could have had some success down the road... maybe something similar to what Rich Gannon did. Pretty nasty injury that ended his career though.

--Funny, You don't list your favorite team as the Cowboys in your profile, I had to find it in one of your other threads.

Is that required or something?

The purpose of this thread is debatable at best. Your timing is beyond being highly suspect considering the subject matter. You post some pleasantries and then on the cusp of the draft you bring up Shuler as to evidence that nobody is such a sure thing. Dude we know, we lived it. We don't need you reminding us of it. If you thought this bitter pill was going to go down sweet you were wrong.

Again, the point was to satirize "talking heads" who get things comically wrong. Theismann = kiss of death. in 1989, he ragged on the Boys for picking Troy Aikman. Five years later he raves about Shuler. RG3 is irrelevant. Even if the Skins hadn't traded up to the #2 spot, something tells me you still would have balked at this thread. Fortunately, it's not my job to confirm your prejudices or create a cotton candy fairy tale world where nothing ever goes wrong.

The Cowboy nation would be reveling in RG3 if they were possibly selecting him. So in closing, the thread was baiting and I think trolling, not for me to decide what to do if anything about it, but my opinion regardless.

Oh of course, but that would make them unthinking homers, not "fans." Fans see the big picture, blemishes and all.

Is that required or something?

Again, the point was to satirize "talking heads" who get things comically wrong. Theismann = kiss of death. in 1989, he ragged on the Boys for picking Troy Aikman. Five years later he raves about Shuler. RG3 is irrelevant. Even if the Skins hadn't traded up to the #2 spot, something tells me you still would have balked at this thread. Fortunately, it's not my job to confirm your prejudices or create a cotton candy fairy tale world where nothing ever goes wrong.

Oh of course, but that would make them unthinking homers, not "fans." Fans see the big picture, blemishes and all.

You said you never hid that you were a Cowboy fan, I only found one mention of it, there could be more but it not like you were forthright in this thread or your profile.

And again the timing of the thread, you being a Cowboy fan appears more than slightly trollish. I already said there are no clear cut gimmes in the draft multiple times, my posting history would show that. I still find it highly suspect that a Cowboy fan who posts seldom comes onto a Redskins board to post about QB draft failures of the past and tries to play it off on critiquing the mediots.

Your not a homer, neither am I, I see it for what it is, the Redskins attempting to do what they need to do to fix a historic problem. Now be sure to come back this year and provide us with the "vids" of RG3 or Luck for that matter making their Redskins debut, good or bad. You have 25 posts on this forum and many in just this thread, so color me skeptic when judging your history. Seriously no attempt to derail, but your creds don't exactly inspire confidence. Now go over to ATN and tell us how Romo sits to pee can redeem his horrendous history in the late season and playoffs via video.

"the one who does not remember history is bound to live through it again"

We hope we have our franchise QB this draft. But why ask for and NNT or B2A for someone who points out not all top rated QBs are success stories in the NFL?

I'm glad nobody's going to freak out if we missed out on RG3, now. If we miss him, we're getting Luck. Now I hope nobody freaks out if Griffin doesn't have a rookie season better than Cam Newton. Putting our fingers in our ears over past draft results isn't very healthy, at this point.

. I still find it highly suspect that a Cowboy fan who posts seldom comes onto a Redskins board to post about QB draft failures of the past and tries to play it off on critiquing the mediots.

I still say that the Shuler reminder reinforces what a good move it is to trade up to get RGIII who is viewed about the same as Marshall Faulk was in the 94 draft (and taken in the same #2 spot). We wouldn't have missed out on any of the guys we picked with our 95 and 96 #1's. (I listed the players selected in an earlier post in this thread- Westbrook etc...) Then all we would have had to do was Pick up Kurt Warner as a FA in 95 and we would have been set.

Case closed - the RGIII trade was a great move!

:cheers:

I remember the 94 draft, and despite the impression this clip during the draft gives, no one thought Dilfer or Shuler were worthy of top 5 pick status, they were simply the 2 best QB's in a very weak QB class (except, in hindsight, that guy from N. Iowa who went undrafted - Kurt Warner), so if you needed a QB....

Now in 2012, No one (credible) disputes Luck and Griffin are worthy of the top 2 picks in this draft, and 2 of the best QB prospects in years. To REACH for Tannehill or Cousins at 6 would be more analogous of the Shuler situation. (Both of whom I see as better QB prospects than the under-sized, weak-armed, not very adept at reading defenses, but athletic college play-maker Shuler.)

I will probably get banned for being "off-topic", but to me this is the takeaway from the Shuler "reminder" from our Cowpuke friend: that it is worth moving up to grab the best prospect (M Faulk in 94 and not Shuler) instead of sitting still and settling.

Archived